Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

godzilla vs. destoroyah

I watched that one recently, very bizarre that the first half or so of the movie was an Aliens ripoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

godzilla, mothra, and king ghidorah: giant monsters all-out attack

that's one of my favorites

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Love Baragon even though he got killed pretty quick and wasn’t even included in the title, I wish they used him in more movies. The insane backstory with Godzilla being possessed by the spirits of innocent people killed by the Japanese military in WW2 and seeking revenge is insane lol, and a funny counterbalance to the previous movie which was super nationalist and had a flashback scene where an unmutated Godzilla saves a Japanese army squad from an American attack in WWII and then the aliens are revealed to actually be time-traveling foreigners trying to prevent Japan’s future economic dominance over the rest of the world. Some of the better fight and rampage scenes in the series too.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Here’s my mom’s dog posing with my GMK poster that I was too lazy to hang up just then

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Samurai Rebellion, by Masaki Kobayashi, who also did Harakiri which is one of the 4 or 5 movies that are all kind of collectively my favorite since I'm really bad at just picking one. And I don't think this one is far is behind it. In the 18th century, the Sasahara samurai family (led by Toshiro Mifune's character Isaburo) is upset and slightly offended when their lord orders the family's oldest son to marry Ichi, a concubine that fell out of favor at the lord's court, but after a couple of years they fall deeply in love and have a child together. Shifting situations at the court causes the lord to order that Ichi be returned to him however, and the movie goes through a few stages as the family argues amongst themselves about whether to comply, then their resistance as it escalates from diplomatic negotiation to civil disobedience to outright rebellion and violence.

If I didn't know that it was by the same director as Harakiri I probably could have guessed, it's similar in a lot of ways, very heartfelt and tragic and centered around the conflict between a samurai's duty to his lord and to his family. They even have similar endings, with the main characters dying in pursuit of justice, but ending on a hopeful note with a minor character in position to finish the job for them. I know I started this post by saying that it's not far behind Harakiri but as I reflect on it more I think I might actually like it better--will probably need to rewatch both as a double feature at some point to settle it. Mifune gives maybe my favorite performance I've seen from him, thoughtful and tender at times and vengeful and furious at others, it was nice to see him flex some more dramatic chops. Tatsuya Nakadai, lead actor of The Sword of Doom and recurring villain to Mifune throughout several other movies, also appears here as his friend, which was nice to see, although Mifune does end up killing him again in a classic samurai duel between friends whose honor and duties compel them to fight. Heavily recommended to anyone into these sorts of films.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

herculon posted:

Good advice for anyone really.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The first episode of season 1 is probably the best hour of television history in my opinion lol, just completely perfect. The rest of the season is great too of course. I love when Colin Hanks arrests Billy Bob Thornton when he’s pretending to be a kindly small-town pastor, and he tells Hanks “when this is over, you’re going to be saying ‘you’re making a mistake.’” And the payoff on that line later on.

Season 3 might almost be better than 1 but I think Thornton’s performance gives it a slight edge, the villain of 3 is great too but Thornton’s just so diabolical, almost literally, I have to give it to him. But I love McGregor and it was fun seeing him do the dual-role thing, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead’s character was so cool and she played it perfectly, just a fantastic season all around.

2 was still very good but I didn’t like it near as much as 1 or 3 which completely blew me away. I still need to see 4, I’ve heard it’s not as good as the others but I’m sure it’s still solid on its own terms. It’s hard to follow up three seasons as good as these, I’ll bet.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

A couple of non-exscreamvaganza horror movies:

The Brides of Dracula: sequel to the Christopher Lee Dracula movie. Peter Cushing is great as always, I liked that this one had him in polite society about as much as it had him investigating crypts so you got to see him switch between a charming gentlemen and a severe holy warrior and completely nail both roles. Lots of cool visuals, particularly liked the end where the camera watches from above as the head vampire smokes and dies inside the shadow of a giant cross. Didn't love it as much as Horror of Dracula, but still a fun ride and I'm looking forward to continuing with Hammer's Dracula films.

The Haunting (1963): Honestly when I started this one I thought it was House on Haunted Hill and was a ways into it when I realized that these are separate movies lol. But I'm glad I made the mistake. This is an adaptation of The Haunting of Hill House, probably my favorite horror novel and one of my favorite novels period and this did a surprisingly good job at adapting a novel that I thought would be difficult to do. It generally keeps things pretty subtle and doesn't sensationalize the events of the book like I thought they might be tempted to do when translating to a visual medium--you still never see the ghost at any point or anything like that. Great performances from the Eleanor and Doctor Markway actors. The scene in the book that scared me bad enough that I got up and locked my bedroom door, just in case, where Eleanor and Theo are hiding in Nell's room and can hear the spirit gibbering and laughing to itself as it stomps around and tears up Theo's room next door, got me pretty good in the movie too, which pleased me. I don't scare easy when it comes to fiction but something about that scene gets under my skin so I was glad to see the movie pull it off. Good time overall.

I also did the Leo Dicaprio point thing irl when Doctor Markway said the "Look, I know the supernatural isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen" line that got sampled in that one White Zombie song.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Last Voyage of the Demeter - one of those movies that I wish I liked more than I did. A bunch of great parts that somehow add up to less than their sum. I love the premise of taking just the Demeter captain's log section of the Dracula novel and expanding it into its own story, the cast is great--I've loved Liam Cunningham and David Dastmalchian in everything I've seen them in and they were good here too, and Corey Hawkins was good in the lead role--I liked Dracula's monstrous design, it had some decent scares and a really effective claustrophobic atmosphere, and a sick soundtrack by Bear McCreary to top it off. It just somehow all landed a bit flat outside of certain moments in a way I find hard to define. It also kind of annoyed me that the vampire rules were for kind of the stock pop culture vampires and not the Dracula novel specifically--characters turn into vampires after being bitten instead of needing to drink Dracula's blood in turn, and vampires burn up and die in sunlight where sunlight only weakened Dracula in the novel. Normally I wouldn't mind but if you're presenting it as an expanded chapter in the novel I feel like you should stick to the novel's vampire lore instead of the stuff that came later. I'd still recommend it if you like vampire movies or Dracula stuff, just kind of a soft recommend, you might like it but you probably won't love it.

Godzilla 2014 - This one's kind of the opposite where I totally get why it has mixed reviews and doesn't work for some people, but it completely works for me. Sure it could have used a little less of the buildup after Brian Cranston's wife dies and before the monsters show up, maybe a few more action scenes scattered throughout, but I think mostly showing it from the human perspective was a really cool idea, something that as far as I know has only been done before by Cloverfield, and while I liked Cloverfield well enough for what it was this just blows it out of the water. It had a strange authenticity to it for a movie about giant monsters, the ground-level focus on the carnage and the people affected by it, even when it's just like the quick montage of people calling emergency services to report that they're trapped in the wreckage or can't find their wife etc, gave it the feel of being a disaster movie where the disaster just happened to be giant monsters rather than really being a kaiju movie per se. And then when it finally turns into a traditional Godzilla fight movie at the end it's just a drat good fight. Good choice of director for this movie, he's really good at setting a sense of scale--he also did Rogue One which I thought was generally pretty execrable but there's a few moments where he gets to play with scale in that too like the Death Star looming in the skies over that one city that gets blown up or the shots where the camera is at ground level with a bunch of rebel troops as these towering AT-ATs fire at them from the horizon that are the high points of the movie. Weirdly specific thing for a director to be good at but hell he is good at it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

King of the Monsters has too much stuff that’s the bad kind of goofy like the corny jokes from Thomas Middleditch’s characters and I wish they didn’t do the thing where all the monster fights are in rain or snow or ash clouds which I assume was to make the cgi look a little better by obscuring it some but it’s still a lot of fun, the fights are good in spite of that and I love all the new monster designs. And Godzilla vs Kong just kicks an insane amount of rear end beginning to end lol. It was the movie I inaugurated my first 4K HDR tv with when I finally upgraded a couple years back.

I’m really looking forward to the next one, can’t wait to see Godzilla whip even more monkey rear end

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

Hell or High Water

That movie kicks rear end. Considering it for my next movie club pick.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Just finished Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. Surprisingly fun popcorn movie, lots of clever and exciting little setpieces and it’s one of those movies where you can tell every member of the cast is just having a blast making it. Between this and that Guy Ritchie movie recently I’m enjoying Hugh Grant’s new turn to smarmy jerk roles

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Thought about this a lot while watching it:
https://twitter.com/illjoy_/status/1697346763290517895

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Return of the Vampire. Columbia made a ripoff/unofficial sequel to Universal’s Dracula and got Bela Lugosi to star in it. Lugosi’s great of course, tremendous screen presence, and it’s kind of interesting to see him in a low-budget ripoff of the film that made him famous. The premise of a vampire previously sealed away in his crypt being released by the Nazi bombing of London seems like something from a pulpy thriller from the 80s to present day so it was interesting to see that they were making movies like that during WWII. Wouldn’t really recommend it to anyone who’s not big into vampire movies or old Universal etc 40s monster movies but if you are it’s a neat little relic.

Also man they were just so much better at ending movies back then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrtlsI4F36E

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 12, 2023

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

what was everyone's first godzilla movie? mine was destroy all monsters

Godzilla vs Mothra (the 1992 one) when I was like six or something. It was one of my first movie-watching memories and I threw a small tantrum when Godzilla lost.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Anguirus and King Caesar are so cool. They need to make a comeback. And hell, bring Baragon with them.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The King of New York. Picked basically at random because I was having one of those listless days where I couldn’t settle on anything to do and decided on this when I saw it was leaving Prime video tonight.

The scene where they kill a cop clinging onto the side of their car by swerving him headfirst into a fire hydrant, then it cuts to David Caruso shouting OH SHIYEET, then to Laurence Fishburne cackling like a hyena, is what cinema is all about. Performance of Fishburne’s career honestly.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

Ferrara's DVD commentary on it is also great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQRzH9BAzks

lmao

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Been gaming too hard on my Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous poo poo to watch many movies lately so I just finished the first of the year, which I got on blu ray as a Christmas gift: The Giant Gila Monster (1959).

50s B-movie in its most distilled form. The monster never appears in the same shot as any of the actors because it’s just an actual live Mexican beaded lizard that they filmed walking around miniature sets and dubbed in booming footsteps sound effects while it walks, then they cut to someone screaming or a vehicle exploding. Sometimes they don’t include any miniatures for scale so you’re just kind of watching a lizard walk around for a bit. The main character is both a hot-rodding greaser and an aspiring rock-and-roller, and I assume the actor was an aspiring musician too who agreed to be in the movie as long as he got to whip out an instrument and sing a few times for no real reason. There are not one but two separate wacky comic relief drunk driver characters.

It’s got heart though, characters are likable and the southwest setting and vibe gives it character. And while I kind of made fun of the effects I did really like them, loved the shots of the lizard crawling over the wrecked train models. Check it out if you like 50s monster b-movies.

Also the first feature film shot and produced in Dallas which is neat since I’ve lived in the DFW metroplex most of my life. It was filmed and shown as a double feature with The Killer Shrews which was also included with the blu ray I got so I’ll probably watch that before too long.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Killers of the Flower Moon. Had been holding off because my grandpa wanted to see it too and he’s too old for sitting in a theater for three and a half hours anymore. Great movie, I’ve seen a lot of people say that it’s Scorsese’s best and while I’m not sure I agree, I’m not sure I disagree either. Loved DiCaprio’s performance and character as being a dimwit that you can almost sympathize with as just someone blinded by greed and manipulated by de Niro’s absolutely diabolical character and just too stupid to realize what the obvious next step in the plan would be, but he crosses the line too far too often to deserve it. The scene after he testifies against Hale and unburdens himself and says that his soul is clean, but still can’t admit to Mollie that he was poisoning her insulin, is going to stay with me a long time and I’m still wondering if he truly knew what he was doing and was lying to her or if he was in denial and lying to himself, though he clearly knew what he had been doing at least in the back of his mind even if he didn’t want to admit it to himself.

I can see why Lily Gladstone is getting all the awards buzz too even in a cast as stacked as this one, her character was fairly stoic throughout but when she does cut loose a bit she’s an incredible actress.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Plutonis posted:

I'm a chalahead.

Rise the gently caress up ✊

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

lol I thought you were talkin about chuck and plut

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I watched it a year or two ago and the only thing I really remember is the scene where Clint Eastwood goes to meet his friends and it’s a bunch of old white guys who are all like “hey it’s Lorenzo, what’s up you greasy wop” “hey paddy, you dumb mick, get over here” with the apparent message that sometimes friends call each other slurs and the Asians shouldn’t be so sensitive about it

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

herculon posted:

Near Dark. A vampire movie I saw on Criterion that I haven't heard of. Stars a mini Aliens reunion with Lance Henriksen, Bill Paxton, and Jenette Goldstein. Not bad overall. Interesting mix of vampire, western, biker movies. If you enjoy watching Bill Paxton have a great time, definitely check this out.

That movie’s really cool, I liked it a lot. But the reveal during an otherwise very serious, tense, climactic scene that vampires loving explode like a Ford Pinto when they’re in the sun too long made me start laughing so hard that I had to pause the movie.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

buffalo all day posted:

Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre - possibly the worst title for a Hollywood movie I’ve ever seen. always down to watch Jason Statham cook for two hours, Josh hartnett was legitimately pretty funny, and I appreciated the glamorous locations and lack of cgi. Fun way to spend a couple hours

I really liked Hugh Grant in this one, between this and the Dungeons and Dragons movie I’m enjoying his turn to slimy smarmy jerk roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

At one point during EEAAO I paused thinking “alright we must be getting pretty close to the end now huh” and then there found out there was still 50 minutes left.