Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexithymia
Dec 7, 2019
Ok, so for context, this is what I mean by a halo vest:

I'm essentially a noob at electronics, but I have a project I want to try.
Since my dog is blind but still has pretty good hearing I'm trying to see if I could rig his harness with sensors and speakers using a microcontroller so that the sensors pick up on stuff that comes near and the speakers play a sound that gets louder with proximity. Kind of like a sonar or parking lights to help him move around without bumping into things.

The tricky bit is I would like to make it so that the speakers play infrasound (<20 Hz)so only the dog can hear the harness output. A subwoofer for my woofer if you will...
Is there a sound output device like a speaker or subwoofer that can play infrasound while being small enough to be portable by a smol doggo?
If not, can it be made without highly sophisticated equipment?
Any advice appreciated.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that tactile vibration as output may be more intuitive to work with , less confusing and more likely to involve smaller devices

Alexithymia fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I'm confused why you need this? I had a family member with a blind dog and she just memorized rooms and walked around fine.

Alexithymia
Dec 7, 2019

Upgrade posted:

I'm confused why you need this? I had a family member with a blind dog and she just memorized rooms and walked around fine.

My dog memorizes to a degree but he still bumps into stuff, and when we go on walks memory only helps so much.
I opted for ultrasonic sensors and three small vibrating motors with an arduino so I guess I'll start lurking in that thread.
It's a bit of a crazy idea but if it were to work it would be quite wonderful.