Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Julias posted:

I finished watching Howl's Moving Castle. The highlights of the film were definitely the visual aspects, from the world design and fantastical architecture, to the more subtle character animation. The sound design was good too, and the dub had pretty decent voice acting (lol at Howl being voiced by Christopher Bale). The romance aspects were pretty forced, but it at least loops together thematically so it works. The, uh, war aspect of the film kind of makes no sense though? I have to assume it gets explained better in the novel. Like at the end of the film the scarecrow gets uncursed, was the prince of one kingdom, and says he'll urge his side to stop the war, and then Solomon goes "I guess I failed to get Howl's heart, so I'll call off the war too" even though Howl wasn't on either side of the war, and seemingly had nothing to do with it starting???

Haven’t watched the movie (at least since it was on Toonami when I was a teen) but in the book the war happens entirely offscreen in between the first and second books, wherein Howl and Solomon (I guess minor spoilers) just kick the everliving poo poo out of the enemy nation with magic in a brutally one-sided fight. The movie in general seems like it changes a lot though, but it does have the superior moving castle though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

studio mujahideen posted:

they should make more baccano! imo

Apparently there’s more light novels but even if they were localized idk if they wrote them with cheesy 1920’s accents…

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Maybe you need better glasses? And/or a general eye exam. Condolences if you’ve already tried those though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Violent freak gremlin woman. She's a freak who loves her cute friends and also brings people back as zombies including them to fight and drinks their blood to heal her self including bashing one of their zombie heads open to get to it while telling her she was cute even in death.

She rules.

Also one of the 'heroes' misgenders her in the most insanely out of pocket way that really just makes him look like a weirdo.

Im somewhat grateful the official manga localization decided it was a good idea to censor that last part, actually

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I heard Promised Neverland S2 was pretty dire, guess it was a viewer skill issue though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Thought Tangled was pretty solid tbh

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

It's really funny that the series gets movies the same way any kid's franchise does with almost yearly releases despite the fact Shin-chan was originally a seinen manga absolutely not for young-young kids. In my country its rating went from PG to R equivalents changing constantly.

I do have nostalgia for the demon balls one, even if it probably aged the worst of them all.

Huh, for some reason I thought the original manga was always meant for kids.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Whole lotta geese here, but only remember seeing ducks twice. Both times were in weird spots (strip mall parking lot, court)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

moondoggie was named after the character from gidgit right

His girlfriend is named Gidgit iirc so probably, unless I’m remembering wrong.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

I just finished Dark Road, and thus have now caught up completely with the Kingdom Hearts story. Kingdom Hearts ftw!

Kingdom Hearts ftw, really hope IV just lets me turn my keyblade into a (slicing) sword/punch shield/staff/claws/mallet/spear without having to do a limit break mode first though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Drifting Classroom was a great read, would definitely second if you have a Viz subscription.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Stexils posted:

having read all of frieren my conclusion is that it simply is too long and got really padded for probably editorial reasons. like the current arc involves frieren getting sent back in time to do adventures with the old party which completely undercuts the whole theme of the comic in the most wheel spinning way. the whole point is that those times are gone forever! only seeing them through flashbacks is so much more poignant! gently caress!!

Yeah, the current arc would be cute as a 1-2 chapter deal but agreed since it’s a Whole Thing now.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ngl, if I had gently caress you money to spend on a Japanese dub of my YouTube channel id probably hire the Zoro actor, so I can’t even blame him for picking a character from his Japanese animes to dub over him.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

symbolic posted:

no one thinks 6 is the worst but you

Tbh it’s tied with 3 for me, 3 is kind of a slog but at least Mornjng Glory stuff was cool, I could barely give a poo poo about Kiryu’s new friend squad

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sagabal posted:

new undead unluck just straight up has a picture of spongebob lol

It’s the series that named a pair of sick slicing prosthetic legs Blade Runner so I’m not 100% surprised.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh after 11 prior years of retail I’m grateful to get the actual day off. Thank god for unions.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Scott Pilgrim anime seems cool six episodes in, I’m kinda genuinely perplexed by people who are mad about it though because having an alternate timeline where the evil exes collectively realize their plan was really goofy and bad and they get some degree of actual resolution (because Ramona was kind of the problem most of the time) seems way cooler than Scott just murdering eight tools and being lowkey kinda lovely, at least as a guy who only read one volume of the book.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

scott is the least interesting character in scott pilgrim, as someone who doesn't even really feel that strongly negative towards him, so the idea of getting mad about a version of the story that focuses more on the good parts is funny to me

Tbh it kinda feels like they specifically made it as a pseudo-sequel, like just as someone who’s heard about the comic but not read a lot of it the plot being “we got married and separated because Ramona has commitment problems and Scott is a giant baby who just went for the most insane solution possible instead of just talking to her kinda seems like a genuine attempt to further explore those characters and their flaws but maybe not?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I can read Scott Pilgrim Saves The World for free in color, which maybe might be a mistake because I think I hate Scott already instead of just finding him to be a goober like the anime.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Worth noting the PS4 version is iirc the worst one since it’s just a straightforward port compared to the PC version’s extensive options that the Switch version’s based on.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I can’t say but I’d guess they do, tbh the cameos are kinda cute don’t really feel impactful since it’s only a few instances of being able to even talk to her to not make her backstory feel like a retcon, same with Towa. nonetheless, the option to go between x2 to x5 speed on turbo with seperate speed options for field/battles rules though and idk if the PS4 version has that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GateOfD posted:

can't imagine playing any of the LoH games at 1x speed.
its sooo slow. Would take ages to just finish simple 2-3 turn mob battles or move thru the fields and towns.

I did the Sky games on my Vita somehow, but I definitely just blitzed through Second Chapter, and was probably just watching YouTube/Netflix for the dungeons until plot happened, and I definitely couldn’t go back to that now with the PC ports and Steam Deck portability. I don’t think I did a single fight of Crossbell with the base battle speed, lol.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I finished the Scott Pilgrim books, they were Okay but I do genuinely like how the end stretch has (book/anime spoilers) Gideon telling Scott/Ramona they were still boned because they were their own worst enemies, which huh, definitely was super relevant to Scott Pilgrim Saves The World, where Scott Pilgrim is literally his own worst enemy and Ramona isn’t exactly her own best friend.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

Got confirmation from the doctor. I have gout. Also with the level that it can flare up in me he recommended that I go on long term meds for it. poo poo suuuuuucks.

Condolences, hope the meds work out at least.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

homeless snail posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlJ7Mi7gE7s
and also linking this one explicitly for the part with chris evans because lol hes wasted in marvel poo poo. anime vos his true calling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfFFKeq-rtQ

I don’t know much about live action but it seems weird as heck that Chris Evans isn’t doing VO for on the regular. Also Will Forte was great but that’s probably a frigid take, nice to know he was a big fan before.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m still mad as hell that I found out Bryan Cranston used to do anime dubs and now he doesn’t even do western VO.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

fully admit to laughing each and every time he said "I'm scott pilgrim."

Same, honestly a lot of his dialogue made me chuckle at the very least

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Namtab posted:

My broad understanding is that Japan doesn’t have fair use the same way we do in the west (or potentially even at all?)so referencing things has to be a lot less direct.

Yeah, there was a mangatuber who almost lost his job because Toei went berserk and started copyright striking his manga review vids that used Dragonball/One Piece footage, and also striking literally everything else, even things that made no sense, because they didn’t think US laws applied to their footage.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also what kind of Greek yogurt? “Flavorless paste” sounds like the 0% fat stuff.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Specifically this one. Yeah it's 0%

Yeah I can’t stand 0%, i usually buy whole fat so it can function as a sour cream substitute but even 2% fat with blueberry preserves or some honey/vanilla is probably healthier/tastier/more versatile than 0% fat vanilla with a buttload of sugar

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GateOfD posted:

Always felt the Rachet and Clank games have a very legit smart funny script

The PS2 ones, right? Yeah they’re pretty great, was genuinely surprised to find out they didn’t have dedicated writers until the PS3.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

the ratchet & clank series is the ultimate example of how creating a lore bible for your ps2 action platformer doesn't really help its writing get better

it’s weird because I don’t think anyone ever asked for the third person shooter/mascot platformer to have more depth in its story or for it not to be done very well a lot of the time but here we are. At least the shooting’s still fun

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Jfc that’s a lot of meat

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s funny how bottom feeders who will eat almost anything tend to be pretty tasty (catfish, crustaceans). Wonder why that is?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GateOfD posted:

Dentist today, standard cleaning.
Last time was 6 months ago, so not much tartar to remove this time.
Unlike after Covid where I just didn’t go for like 2-3 years.

I like the part where they using the polisher at the end.

I didn’t get a goody bag with a free toothbrush, floss and mini-tooth paste though :(

hosed up, when I got my last cleaning they gave me an electric toothbrush

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, that procrastinating on your checkups is a terrible idea. What a waste, the excruciating pain from my cleaning already told me that!

(Seriously, go to the dentist routinely, kids)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah it’s something they should really be more upfront about, although idk if doing something like making a Dandadan page on the Jump app and having it tell you “this is free with the SJ subscription but you have to read it on the website” is a gray area for the app rules about explicit content.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ohtori Akio posted:

plain yogurt is win bitch

He’s taking about plain 0% fat Greek yogurt iirc, which is decidedly not win once you take all the fat out

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Watched some Pluto for my yearly Christmas anime/cartoon tradition, it’s some Good poo poo so far which is unsurprising given how much hype the manga’s gotten over the years. Makes me really curious about reading the part of the Astro Boy manga it’s based on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ohtori Akio posted:

insanely and emphatically wrong

As someone who cannot handle spicy food at all (most wrt digestion), I have to still heartily agree with this.