Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Southern Cassowary posted:

I have the default phone background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Catching up on Mix. In the episode I just watched, it tells you that the outcome of the next round of the tournament is going to be something unexpected. It then proceeds such that the final four are the exact teams you'd expect. But by saying that the outcome will be unexpected, the expected outcome is the unexpected outcome. Mitsuru Adachi is too powerful.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

verbal enema posted:

Debit card acquired bank account set back up

No more walking around with tons of money in my pockets with no way to track how much I've spent

No more waking up to only having 20 bucks and saying "gently caress it" and buying cheap vodka

Little steps

godspeed, gamer

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

speaking of moving, why is furniture so loving expensive. have never been more tempted to take up my friend's offer of teaching me woodworking than I have now

estate sales are the way to go, get furniture at a fraction of the cost

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

If I was to be a vegetarian I'd probably just eat fresh sweetcorn. Getting some saturday picked corn that tastes this good is better than any of the sad cobs that come in the bins at grocery stores.

What's real fun is grilling corn. Since heck if you don't eat meat and you have a grill you gotta use it for something.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm not wild about the hosoda one piece movie but heck, I'll cop to being a bit of a hosoda-hater

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ohtori Akio posted:

please say sike

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Almost done with Mix season two. Mitsuru Adachi doing his usual thing and it gets me every time.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I believe in Science Saru.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Been able to gradually make some more progress over the past few months on getting through all of 2022's anime movies. Not as quickly as I'd like but between a few vacations and some life-changing events, well, sometimes life comes at you fast. Anyways, just some quick takes:

Tsurune: The First Shot - Was surprised to find out that this is a compilation movie, given how it's edited in a way that made me assume it was a sequel. Even as a liker of sports anime this didn't do much for me. It made me think about how a lot of my enjoyment of Free was less because of how it handled the writing for the sport itself and more because of its colorful cast and high energy. This is to say that I found the archery competitions boring and the movie itself was cut together in such a way as to make most of the character motivations come off as too vague for me to connect with, and with how seriously it takes itself I found that to be an impediment. Alas.

Uta no Prince-Sama Maji Love Starish Tours - It's just a concert film and while sometimes those can break out in a way that even folks unfamiliar with the group can appreciate, this ain't one of those. It's idol boys singing idol songs without much visual flair. It's not a genre of music I like and I know nothing about this particular idol group. Were I not dedicated to watching every 2022 movie I'd have turned it off after realizing it was a concert film. This is only for the hardcore fans and as for me, when it comes to fandom I say fandon't.

Backflip!! The Movie - Not having seen the tv series the structure of the movie was what stuck out to me. That the big tournament is swiftly handled in the first act and then the rest of the movie is dealing with what comes next, particularly for the graduating seniors. Not a new topic for a sports anime to tackle but making it the crux of a movie is novel enough - particularly since unlike a lot of sports anime that asks these questions, there isn't exactly a wide range of opportunities for men's rhythmic gymnastics compared to something like baseball. It's interesting enough to convince me to check out the tv series proper someday. The cast all feel like they're working with familiar archetypes but not so much as to come off as rote. And heck, sometimes that's all a sports anime needs.

The G-Reco movies: I've accepted that these days I'm pretty much done with mecha as a genre. It happens, but hey when you know you're no longer getting anything out of a particular thing it's best to just fully step away lest you become the worst kind of curmudgeonly nerd. But I'll carve out an exception for auteur-driven works by directors I like, which is why the only recent mecha anime I care about are the final Eva Rebuild and of course, Tomino's re-edit of Gundam: Reconguista in G. I always knew its maniacal pacing would flow better in movie format though I wasn't prepared for the extent to which they'd change; even the first movie which has the least amount of changes still has plenty of dialogue changes as well as a huge amount of different edits, touched up animation, etc. It's very interesting to me that the movies remove some of the more Gundam-y parts of the show. I always figured that Tomino only used the Gundam name in order to get made, and there's one big change in particular in one of the later movies that excises a major Gundam element. Anyhow it's just as exhilarating as when I first watched it, and I will no doubt go through these movies again in the near future. There's just so much to digest in what feels like such little time in a way I find very rewarding.

The First Slam Dunk - Intense and thrilling. If the basketball match shown in The First Slam Dunk were to happen irl everyone would be losing their minds over it. That alone makes it good, but what elevates it to greatness is its narrative through line. I haven't seen much of Slam Dunk, but the way this movie shifts its focus to make one of the supporting characters the protagonist just works so well it makes you wonder why he's not the main character in the series proper. The best sports anime tend to be great at giving you a reason to want its protagonist to succeed beyond their virtue of being the protagonist, and there's enough verisimilitude behind Ryota's struggles to sell me on rooting for him here. Easily one of the best anime I've seen this year, and it's the most impressive directorial debut I've seen in awhile.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

haypliss posted:

It being a comp film for the first season is where I'd lay a lot of the weaknesses. Despite the team sports framing, it was a season largely focused on Minato as a single character, and only explored a few other characters through their connections to him. I also came away not really getting archery as a sport and feeling unsatisfied by the progression/success of Kazemai because of that. S2 alleviated basically all of those issues by actually exploring the existing ensemble and even throwing in some interesting new rivals who exist outside the dominant tradition and class status of the sport. Aesthetically I still get a bit tired of their common visual motifs/metaphors in the competition scenes, but when it comes to straight up animating the shots and sound design for that it feels even more effective than S1.

That's good to hear. It's possible I'll take a look at the series proper at some point since when put that way that second season definitely sounds more palatable to me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

I do that on the reg (or bike rides)... it's pretty epic

:hai: 5 am bike rides are a great way to feel alive

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Movie this morning was Eternal 831. It's a shame how far Kenji Kamiyama has fallen. It's a movie that wants to be political and apolitical at the same time - the most it's willing to say is that there are politicians who put their personal gains ahead of the people they're supposed to be representing, which is the most milquetoast political observation one can have. It's just too vague in general. A character accuses politicians of having no ideologies, but the same applies to the whole cast. Even when it tries to be emotional, it just falls flat.

It's not a good movie but I would like to highlight the sole buckwild part. The protagonist has a tragic incident in his past. He blames himself for a classmate's suicide. The exact details of the suicide: The classmate stole money from the student council. The protagonist found out about this and told a teacher. The classmate wants to get revenge on the protag so he calls the police, tells them that the protag stole the money, and then he kills himself. He jumps off the school rooftop headfirst. The protag witnesses this and sees that this classmate has a big ol smile on his face as he's plummeting to his death. Then the classmate's girlfriend publicly blames the protag for the suicide, leading to the protag's father killing himself. This is all handled handled in a very brief flashback and makes it come off like the classmate was a total psycho.

If the entire movie could have that kind of maniacal writing throughout, it'd be a lot more enjoyable that's for sure. Sadly everything outside of that is pretty lethargic.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rinkles posted:

What did you think of the Netflix 3D GITS, assuming you’ve seen it?

I've only seen a little bit of it. There are some folks I trust that say the writing is pretty good, though I didn't get far enough to have a strong opinion on that aspect because I really disliked how the show looked in motion. I'm not against watching a CG anime, just that I didn't like how it specifically looked. I might give it another go someday.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm sad of Blue Giant not playing anywhere near me. My local theater showed the trailer for it multiple times so I thought for sure I'd get it but nope! The closest theater is about a 70 minute drive away from here and I already did like 4 hours of driving today so I definitely didn't wanna do more of that on the weekend. Alas.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rewatched FLCL over the weekend on a whim and after finishing it I realized that the last time I watched it was ages ago in my 20s before some life-changing stuff. I guess on some subconscious level I figured it was time to do that again since I have some big life-changing stuff on the horizon. Under these circumstances it definitely feels like one of the more appropriate series I could have picked :cheerdoge:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Movie this morning was last year's Crayon Shin-chan movie. It features ninjas. Unfortunately, Shin-chan himself is taken to the ninja village and is separated from the rest of the cast for a significant portion of the movie leaving him to hang out with the movie's original characters, which are all ninjas. The ninja jokes are numerous and quickly wear out their welcome, making the movie feel really half-baked. Heck, there's only a single joke about Shin-chan's mom having a fat butt and Shin-chan isn't even in the scene with it. Truly hosed up.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Shin-chan movies peaked at the nostalgia one.

Yea that one is easily heads and shoulders above the others I've watched. Not to call 'em bad, most of the others I've seen tend to be watchable enough. That one is just on a whole different level.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

Been going thru those movies lately to indulge in sakuga nerdery, basically working my way back up to Adult Empire(the 9th one) and the eatin has been good, when they finally get down to it. You really feel the consistent hour-thirty length after awhile tho

Yea, I feel like a good chunk of the movies I've seen would be a lot better were they half the length (and I guess in this hypothetical they'd play in a double feature or something). The one I just watched had some pretty nice animation that would have played better if it didn't have to drag itself along to hit that 90 minutes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rewatched the Maison Ikkoku movie since it has been awhile. Good stuff of course. Something I always love to see in older franchise anime movies is when the character designs are changed up and get much more detailed.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

sube posted:

Honestly my main worry is infecting my parents since I’m living with them due to being short on money atm, and they don't believe in covid being a thing at all really. I‘m just gonna try and quarantine through being very anti-social is my idea

godspeed gamer

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Not exactly anime but I wound up watching the Justice League/RWBY crossover. Shockingly, it ain't good. Too much lore, jargon, and bad quips. It's also an isekai. It's strange that they used the Justice League for this because they get turned into teenagers. Almost like they wanted to use the Teen Titans instead - Batman in particular acts so brazenly out of character it would make a lot more sense if that were meant to be Robin instead. It's also strange that the only DC villain in this is Kilg%re, of all villains. Might not be the deepest cut but that's still pretty dang deep! There's a moment where the Justice League are pondering who could be responsible for isekai'ing them and the list is: Brainiac (that'd make sense), Vandal Savage (huh?), and Kilg%re and it's like, you drop a deep cut like that and I sure as heck am gonna assume that's the one.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Yay!

I get to spend my weekend moving

hell, same

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab posted:

The bolded series were Heroman, Arakawa under the bridge, Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin, Sarai-ya Goyou, Yojou-han Shinwa Taikei

All real good stuff except for Heroman, which I can at least understand someone thinking it was gonna be good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

marumaru posted:

lmao this post would get you killed today

time to put it to the test: kyoani sucks now :twisted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

I caught the end of Jason X on TV.

Is there an anime equivalent to something like that? Just dumb, at times goofy, over the top horror/violence.

Another.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab posted:

past lives WILL be posted tonight!!

Good, that's one of the better movies this year

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rhonne posted:

Cool to see Batista there. Has Big Dave done any voice acting work before?

Only if you count wrestling videogames, otherwise no.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

simoun
stellvia
oh! edo rocket

i think people talk about simoun again these days though maybe

I hear it come up every once in awhile. Certainly far more than the other two.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Think my 00s show of choice that doesn't get talked about much these days is Major, though admittedly since it has never been licensed (though the Boruto-esque sequel series has!) it's something that's only watched by those who actively seek it out. Which is a shame since if it were on Crunchyroll or something I think it could find an audience - I'm sure there are plenty of sports anime likers out there that would dig the kind of sports anime in which time keeps on progressing, the characters growing noticeably older, etc instead of solely focusing on high school sports.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

haypliss posted:

2/3 through this and I have kind of turned on Goro, the show just seems willing to give him everything with no real change or compromise on his behalf. Dude just plays through significant injury and drops into the US ignorant and unprepared but is trucking along. I see the value in his stubbornness and romanticism about sports at times but it's definitely a balancing act that is holding up worse for me than those first couple seasons.

That's understandable. Characterization-wise I found he picks up a lot in the final season but until then I really enjoyed the minor league stuff going on since it's rare for a sports anime/manga to explore that to the extent that Major does.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

haypliss posted:

Coming to it after Gurazeni (which was great) does reduce some of that novelty I suppose. Only took over a decade for them to make a second anime covering that stuff. :v:

Haha yeah I watched it before Gurazeni's anime came out so when Gurazeni finally came along I was excited to see another show that brought it up.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

as a midwestern lad most of the time I go walking/biking on the trails near here I wind up seeing deer, or turkeys

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Didn't get a whole lot of time to watch stuff over the past week but I did manage to make room for two movies. Hula Fulla Dance was some pretty standard stuff but was ultimately pretty enjoyable. Comes off as similar to an idol narrative which I'm not usually down with, though in a way I did find palatable. Perhaps it's because the cast are all working adults. They're all working full time jobs at a Hawaiian-themed resort so while there are idol parallels to be had really it's more akin to like, Medieval Times performers. There's a bunch of nice comedic timing to it, and is the first time in awhile I enjoyed something that Seiji Mizushima was involved in so it's good to feel positive about that for a change. Also watched the first half of The Orbital Children. Netflix pulled a reverse Macross 2 and edited two movies into a 6 episode tv series. The first movie is a pretty by the numbers survival narrative. Here's the space station, poo poo goes wrong, a group consisting of mostly teens have to figure out how to not die. There's not a lot of meat to it but it's executed well enough to be compelling once the survival parts kick in so I'm looking forward to watching the rest whenever I have the free time.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rewatched On-Gaku. Still one of the greatest anime movies of the past several years.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

that's a real good lupin ep

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Thought I'd have time to finally catch up on anime this weekend, maybe even to the point of finishing my new year's toxx, but it turns out that my fate is to polish up my resume right after a big move. Never rains but it pours, I suppose.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Erg posted:

:cheerdoge: good luck man

:cheerdoge: thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ohtori Akio posted:

rip patware