Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

reading the later volumes of my love story after not reading any of the series after volume 6 (due to the library not having any releases beyond then, seven years ago) and lolling

are there other wholesome, comedy-forward series in this vein that I should check out? similar to angel densetsu, yankee kun to megane chan, you and I are polar opposites, gokusen, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

there’s this chain popular on instagram currently, “six mangas to know me”. here’s my friend’s:

without stewing on it for hours, my list would probably be (no order):

- oyasumi punpun
- chainsaw man
- golden kamuy
- dungeon meshi
- blue period
- one piece

of which 4/6 began and 2/6 finished serialization within the last decade. am I recency biased? or are modern mangaka cooking harder because they’ve got decades of seminal work to learn from?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

was catching up on a year’s worth of record of ragnarok chapters earlier today on mangadex. had a backlog because the person who would post links to the newest chapter in the seinen thread stopped, after they got probed for posting the other mythological figure battle manga, the lovely fetishy one im gei got destroyed for gushing about. I’m at the part of the tesla vs beelzebub fight where both tesla and beelzebub have had two high melodrama flashbacks so the next one will probably decide it. click through to next chapter. mangadex 404s. scheduled maintenance between 12pm - 4pm est. destroyed.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

local japanese foundation does a “kotatsu: japanese cinema” series of free screenings every winter and my partner and I had a free sunday so we went to watch a couple

princess arete started off really strong, the opening scenes of craftsmen at work and the first thirty or so minutes are peak ghibli tier, but at a point the narrative goes from laid-back and bucolic to listless and uneventful. it does pick up later but doesn’t really recover/ignite the sense of wonderment that a good ghibli does

office royale (original jp title: hell’s garden[probably changed to avoid conflict with the manga of the same name]) was extremely fun. it’s an absurdist postmodern sukeban story, and it brashly flaunts its genre awareness as if challenging the viewer to say something about it. the characters are all the typical archetypes encountered in delinquent manga; it’s a joy watching them interact with each other, and the contrast between yankee life and OL life stays entertaining throughout, which was a nice change of pace after arete’s ponderous pacing. the fight scenes are pretty good except for the main girl, who is clearly swinging at air ineffectually more than a few times throughout, but they fit the vibe of the movie to a t; I especially enjoyed the yakuza-style introduction cards for almost everyone of note

good movies for free. we had missed the screening of blue giant the day prior and I’m pretty interested in seeing that. maybe I’ll propose a double feature with on-gaku

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I got that but it doesn’t make for exciting watching. shes already pining in her tower to experience life at the start of the film and to go from that to languishing brainwashed in the basement while the wizard bed rots in his room is dreary and dull both narratively and visually. contrast to spirited away, where when chihiro loses her agency there’s a smorgasboard of sumptuous visuals to enjoy while the audience waits for forward progress in the narrative. and when she does snap out of it it’s kind of anticlimactic because the wizard is such a pathetic figure and the tower golem so short-lived that it doesn’t feel like a suitable payoff for how slow the middle of the movie is. even when she decides to see the golden bird herself it’s just to gawk at it.

I understood the feminist theme, the idea that power and agency are wasted without anything to apply it to, that understanding why something works is much more powerful than just being able to use it, that almost everything we engage with in everyday life was created by intent by others, and that imagination is the most powerful magic, but nevertheless throughout the film it feels like there’s an incredible adventure (and its associated visuals) just out of reach

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

got a new tattoo on wednesday. its healing well at present day. present time

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I just finished reading Dead Dead Demons Dededestruction like ten minutes ago, speaking of things that change genres. I was keeping up with it then forgot about it just before things got weird. In fact I think it got a bit too weird, but I like the main cast a lot.

between this and downfall its been interesting seeing asanos contempt for humanity further fester. fumbling akane torikai really did a number on him

suruga-ya has a free shipping sale on rn so I bought this

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

RuBisCO posted:

lol have you read Mujina into The Deep yet

Ive been waiting for a couple of volumes to build up… foreboding aura post though…

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I had a lot of downtime during board games today which I spent part of trawling suruga-ya for shirts. here are a few

Gathering (Kanagami Hot Spring) T-Shirt White L Size "GOLDEN KAMUY"

HISASHI Produced Original Hakodate Ramen with Salt Based Soup T-Shirt Black S Size "CLAY Special Live 2013 in HAKODATE GLORIOUS MILLION DOLLAR NIGHT vol. 1"

Tie Band T-Shirt Black Free Size "Bocchi, Za, Rokku! Tie Band Goods Sales Venue is here"

Zip-Up Hoodie Black S Size "AKAGI"

Ebisu Pullover Hoodie Black L Size "Dorohedoro"

I didnt buy any of the above but I did gamble on this listing which I’m hoping from the description is this sweater.

it was ¥2200 so if it is what I think it is thats a w.

ok. now to not look at suruga-ya for several months.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

went to read a dandadan chapter this morning and got a thermae romae sequel instead 🛁:getin:

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

yamazaki-sensei understands that there are few things in life better than a hot bath so I am very happy for her that she got to make a very successful manga about it, that netflix paid for her to travel to and try out japan’s best onsen, and that she was bestowed the order of the star of italy for “contributing to the growth of italian culture”

one of the most memorable times I’ve had in japan is sipping on a can of sapporo in a sento in nakano while some old otaku were having a heated discussion about gundam or something in the same 40°c tub I was blissed out in

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

rereading thermae romae. this guy knows whats up.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

whats allowed or not on a platform stands in stark contrast to what one will find trawling the halls of comiket. we all know how attempts to ban horny usually eisen out

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

my suruga-ya orders arrived today, dodged tariffs on both the shirt and the sweater which was a surprise because I got dinged $20 CAD on a $55 board game the first time I ordered from them last month

my experience with places like book-off, mandarake, & others has consistently been that japanese secondhand stuff is immaculate, but oddly enough the three things I’ve purchased from suruga-ya seem to be brand new

I haven’t opened the box on this isobeyan shirt yet because the packaging cute as hell… idk who would clock the reference outside of a con or a comic festival so I’ll probably wait until one of those to crack it

conversely I’ll probably end up wearing this frieren sweatshirt this week sometime. a little disappointing that it’s a heat transfer and that the good design is on the back but a decent result as far as [no image] roulette goes and hey. official frieren merch

¥875 for the dedede shirt and ¥2200 for the frieren sweater delivered within a week with no tariffs to canada were both steals though. would highly recommend this site.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Gyakkyō Burai Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor…

studio mujahideen posted:

its called Akiba Maid War

my only experience with this is the gif of the maid regurgitating ramen. and that was enough for me.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

martial master asumi, a pretty promising MMA themed manga, tapped at chapter 32. jump is vicious sometimes

its cancellation made me want to reread a classic fight manga thats not baki, kengan, or ippo. should I revisit:

- history’s strongest disciple kenichi
- holyland
- all rounder meguru
- the breaker (ya ya… korean)

I’m a little less inclined towards holyland because I read suicide island past chapter 12 for the first time last month and I kind of hated it.. dont want to make another pilgrimage to holyland and not have it match my fond memory of it

maybe I’ll just end up reading hinomaru sumo for the first time

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

thats also depressing for having ended prematurely and will make me even more melancholy

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

teppu was incredible though.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

symbolic posted:

no it isnt, watch it right now

started this over lunch

you were correct.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

yeah this show kicks rear end. late 90s period piece/ gangster drama but akiba maids is powerful

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

based off of the first episode (and the incredible meiko kaji style enka-inflected ED) I thought akiba maid wars would be primarily a sendup of late showa/early heisei era gangster media but I’m on s01e04 and every episode so far has been a pastiche of/homage to different seinen genres, from gambling to combat sports to military. I dont have a crunchyroll so I’m watching by other means but whomever’s responsible for the subs has done an incredible job as well. I definitely would not have given this show a second glance based on a superficial read of its aesthetic so thanks again for the recommendation

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

me yesterday: theres no way this maid anime could be good

me today:

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

finished akiba maid war and thoroughly enjoyed it. the last three episodes lay off the genre shifting and are pretty much just pure gangster narrative (but with maids) but in committing hard manage to evoke a level of emotion that I didn't really feel earlier on when nerula died. despite the story playing out largely according to the framework of a classic yakuza eiga it still managed to be very funny, like with the photos that they chose for ranko's funeral and nagomi in kurobuta mode. my favorite gag was the lovely elevator, though a close second was how the male lackey was dressed period-perfect for an akiba otaku. for me the most moe thing was zoya's accent.

the ramen regurgitation gif is a lot easier to swallow now that I have context

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

its lebanese food from the restaurant around the corner from my apartment, the type of place where the friendly, swarthy man behind the counter calls you boss and piles your plate high

quote:

Seasoned white fish fillet, marinated in lemon, garlic, cilantro and spices. Our fish is finished off with tomato, lettuce, onion, cabagge, turnip and topped with a generous sprinkle of Tahini and hot sauce. It is served with garlic sauce or hummus.

+ roasted potato and two types of rice

one last thought about akiba maid war. I appreciated that nagomi eased off her oinking rampage of revenge and stayed true to what endeared her to nerula and ranko by attempting to end the war via moe moe kyun. of course it would have led to her and the rest of the oinky doink girls getting shot to death if it weren't for the axolotl girl and okachimachi, but in her naivete she exposed the inhumanity of creatureland's established order. hope they gussied up the elevator for her a little.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

im waiting for my obligation chocolate from all the ladies in this thread

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

snoopy is pretty popular in japan so its even more surprising to not know his rear end

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

dog got that you in he

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yELOiYgR2aI

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Willo567 posted:

and japanese calvin and hobbes is ushio and tora.

speaking of which, i'm surprised that Calvin and Hobbes was never translated into Japanese outside of the first book collection. guess it didn't sell well

insufficient number of strips with the punchline of calvin showing elephant

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

average millennial garfield enjoyer when the lore youtuber puts out another self-aggrandizing video:

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

if you take the t out of peanuts you get peanus

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

ushi & tori? the one with the caked up satan?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

as a little kid finding this in a secondhand book store significantly altered my conception of what a comic strip could offer

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

perfect blue / millennium actress / tokyo godfathers / paprika is one of the greatest film oeuvres of all time. no shame in stealing from the best really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtUWt_Pwu4M

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I learned some japanese from this garfield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-ooCnZviZ8

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I was up all night finishing up a report and at around 4am I succumbed to weakness and started browsing suruga-ya again... they seem to perpetually have free shipping now so heres my dumb rear end buying poo poo

I have never heard a single dempagumi.inc song but I love asano art. ¥1375.

extremely nice doraemon shirt ft. an allover pattern of some of his most famous secret tools. ¥3300.

absolute steal for this deck of kusama art playing cards. some reseller is trying to sell a set for $100 USD. ¥500.

I'm an inveterate thrifter and browsing this site by trying different keywords and romanizations is extremely addictive. call me stanley ipkiss because somebody stop me

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

ok I stg this is my last suruga-ya post until march. I saw this deck for ¥1450 and couldnt say no to it. it just goes rock loving hard

https://www.suruga-ya.com/en/product/607122624

this picture's of another copy of the deck. what an artifact. mega man 5. breath of fire. final fight 2. and goat fighter 2. wily jokers. carlos as the ace of the ff2 suit. my god. it even has a honda...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

he’s been in the cultural zeitgeist for so long that one of the most well-known rappers in the world named themselves after him. I am of course talking about open mike beagle