Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

doomrider7 posted:

Reading some of the comments and reviews in other sites especially ANN make me laugh my rear end off with all of theorizing about the game being some kind of real actual world when it's in all likelihood the chuuni adult woman child CEO's fanfic turned into a game.

You mean the writer's story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

Reading some of the comments and reviews in other sites especially ANN make me laugh my rear end off with all of theorizing about the game being some kind of real actual world when it's in all likelihood the chuuni adult woman child CEO's fanfic turned into a game.

Having only read the manga, it's tough to really call it for sure. On the one hand, we have seen/will see the devs and know that there's some human elements here. On the other hand we're also dealing with magical NPCs who act like real people and die permanently. I would be entirely unsurprised to find out that the game is somehow tapping into another world.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

You mean the writer's story?

Yes.

Nemo2342 posted:

Having only read the manga, it's tough to really call it for sure. On the one hand, we have seen/will see the devs and know that there's some human elements here. On the other hand we're also dealing with magical NPCs who act like real people and die permanently. I would be entirely unsurprised to find out that the game is somehow tapping into another world.

Possible. I'm thinking Free Guy with Ryan Reynolds might be at play here. I'm part of the discord and could ask, but would rather not be spoiled since I have accidentally seen some already.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

AtomikKrab posted:

Well well well

If it isn't the consequences of Orcelott's actions

Very generous of him not to start playing with the breaker panel after what his sister pulled.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Lamebot posted:

Very generous of him not to start playing with the breaker panel after what his sister pulled.

He would like to remain alive in real life I think

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

And given her job I wouldn't think they still live together. Great ep, but add me to the list of folks who is brain-meltingly curious about the rewards!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

Yes.

Possible. I'm thinking Free Guy with Ryan Reynolds might be at play here. I'm part of the discord and could ask, but would rather not be spoiled since I have accidentally seen some already.

Yeah I'm so deep into the manga at this point that I kind of don't want to mess with any WN spoilers.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nemo2342 posted:

Yeah I'm so deep into the manga at this point that I kind of don't want to mess with any WN spoilers.

New Chapter is out for those that know where to look.

We finally meet Psyger-100 Momo Saiga IRL

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

New Chapter is out for those that know where to look.

We finally meet Psyger-100 Momo Saiga IRL

What a delightful update.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The sword was the loot, the devs forgot to repair its durability in the cutscene so the party missed out.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Finally some loot.

Also an S-tier episode for dumb faces.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

Finally some loot.

Also an S-tier episode for dumb faces.

Indeed The Dev's are dumb stupid idiots and I love them both, and the poor poor pr guy who they keep beating

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
And therefore the dreadful truth is revealed: SLF has been a trash game all along.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Everybody congratulate Sunraku on his excellent haul: a bunch of stuff from so far forward in the game nobody even knows how to turn it on yet.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
"Who would have dreamed the core development staff would be fighting like preschoolers?"

John Carmack. :smug:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Those stupid idiot developers are great.
They were legitimately anticipating that people would battle this secret superboss for the next decade without making any headway and only progress the game's story line once that is finished. I think it's a complete coincidence that this game turned out great, rather than being a complete trash game. Or maybe it's just the good PR?

Towa is awesome too. Speedrunning the game with high stats for purely emotional reasons is neat.

To be honest, these new ultra-harsh penalties for being a player killer are complete bullshit too. Up to this point that was just a legitimate but sort of dishonorable way to play the game. But then suddenly there's a system update which puts a massive target on your back and dying will set you back hundreds of hours for all the stuff you amassed.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 25, 2024

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

As it turns out, yeah, weathermon was a dev's pet mary sue boss and she's very upset that he got killed

fortunately the other dumbass dev is keeping her in check so sunraku's probably not going to get GM-killed for this

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

cant cook creole bream posted:

They were legitimately anticipating that people would battle this secret superboss for the next decade without making any headway and only progress the game's story line once that is finished. I think it's a complete coincidence that this game turned out great, rather than being a complete trash game. Or maybe it's just the good PR?

To be fair the only people fighting it were a collection of dumbasses who had no interest in actually killing it, and were actively keeping it a secret, besides Pencilgon.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

cant cook creole bream posted:

They definitely remind me of some people I used to code with back when I worked on MUDs. "What do you mean it's not fair that my super-special quest NPC can one-shot players in a game with limited lives? They should just do the quest perfectly on a blind run."

As for the story progress, it seems that the story-line dev wanted them to tackle the superbosses in a very specific order, but players are being players and getting fixated on the wrong boss (Schwarzer Wolf) or keeping the boss secret so they can use it to farm xp (Ashura Kai).

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

They thought it would take a decade because he's supposed to be like the fourth or fifth beaten. The story in the game moves every time any unique monster gets defeated.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nemo2342 posted:

They definitely remind me of some people I used to code with back when I worked on MUDs. "What do you mean it's not fair that my super-special quest NPC can one-shot players in a game with limited lives? They should just do the quest perfectly on a blind run."

As for the story progress, it seems that the story-line dev wanted them to tackle the superbosses in a very specific order, but players are being players and getting fixated on the wrong boss (Schwarzer Wolf) or keeping the boss secret so they can use it to farm xp (Ashura Kai).

There are some implications on WHY there was an order and why the boss they name dropped was the intended 1st one to fall.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I imagine the unique monsters become more beatable if you have gear or knowledge from the previous ones in the order. According to extras before Wethermon got his nerf the intended victory path was that everyone in the party fighting him had to parry his final attack, and if any died the party would get wiped.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Something I just thought of:

Mentioning Weathermon to Emul triggered a reaction from her and Vysache. I'm surprised Sunraku didn't think to ask them about Bahaumut. Maybe he'll do that later, but I'd have brought it up as soon as I could.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The spider lily grove was only accessible during a particular time of day and a particular phase of the moon in an obscure corner of an early zone. It's entirely possible that hints to its location were supposed to appear as the world story advanced. Contrast that to the intended first in the order, who, well, maybe the devs are cultivating a player base that's a little too carebear for its own good (manga spoilers): there's an NPC pirate captain who's also hunting him down and you have to start bar fights in the at-launch final city to get his attention.

Doodles posted:

Something I just thought of:

Mentioning Weathermon to Emul triggered a reaction from her and Vysache. I'm surprised Sunraku didn't think to ask them about Bahaumut. Maybe he'll do that later, but I'd have brought it up as soon as I could.

Well, Sunraku already knows there's a fetch quest between him and "learning the truth of this world". More questions would probably just bounce.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Frankly the devs were rather underestimating the playerbase if they thought nobody would discover weathermon's hidden area and eventually kill him. There are plenty of people who spend their time specifically looking for that kind of thing. It's been a while since I've played wow, but as i recall there were a whole series of secret puzzle quests with very specific conditions and the vaguest possible hints, and people figured them all out.

The devs underestimating players in that way does fit their established personalities, though

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Not expecting the scales was the main mistake, from the look of it. Looks like tracksuit lady's overpowered Mary Sue design would have been the right call after all...

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

sharkmafia posted:

Frankly the devs were rather underestimating the playerbase if they thought nobody would discover weathermon's hidden area and eventually kill him. There are plenty of people who spend their time specifically looking for that kind of thing. It's been a while since I've played wow, but as i recall there were a whole series of secret puzzle quests with very specific conditions and the vaguest possible hints, and people figured them all out.

The devs underestimating players in that way does fit their established personalities, though

there was one that took several years to crack but that's because it was lame and required half a dozen people to do some of the boringest rep grind poo poo in the game as a pre-requisite before you even got to the puzzle solving part, and the reward wasn't very exciting

https://www.wowhead.com/news/enlightened-hearthstone-hidden-hearthstone-toy-found-in-zereth-mortis-337545

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

sharkmafia posted:

I think you're misunderstanding the problem. They knew Ashura Kai had the hidden area. Ashura Kai had a vested interest in making sure no one else found out. So the real problem was that they didn't expect Ashura Kai to ever try to kill him, and, well, besides Pencilgon being the best, they were right.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
The studio did a little presentation for kids at a shopping mall back in January and this is the result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyv6bXqJ_6Y

Corny as hell, but... I want a Sunraku headband, too.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Glazius posted:

Well, Sunraku already knows there's a fetch quest between him and "learning the truth of this world". More questions would probably just bounce.
Possibly, but he didn't know what mentioning Wethermon to Emul would trigger so I'd have expected him to give it a shot to check for these things now that he knows they happen. I'd have also mentioned that Setsuna called Emul "a child of Cinderella." Maybe he'd get a glass slipper. :mario:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I think Shanfro gets gaming culture and gamers pretty well and most creative decisions reflect that, but some choices like not exploring every path in a conversation tree or not immediately checking loot aren't realistic at all. It's not the author not getting it - rather it's them making some compromises in order to tell a good story. Info dumping about Bahamut right now when it'll take a while for the characters to actually progress to that point would be really clunky in the story. If you contrast the compromises with realism that this makes vs, for example, Bofuri, I definitely think that Shanfro has the better approach. But when I saw the scene I immediately thought, "argh, why didn't he ask about Bahamut??!"

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I'm sorry to say but video games have poisoned your brain.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

pork never goes bad posted:

I think Shanfro gets gaming culture and gamers pretty well and most creative decisions reflect that, but some choices like not exploring every path in a conversation tree or not immediately checking loot aren't realistic at all. It's not the author not getting it - rather it's them making some compromises in order to tell a good story. Info dumping about Bahamut right now when it'll take a while for the characters to actually progress to that point would be really clunky in the story. If you contrast the compromises with realism that this makes vs, for example, Bofuri, I definitely think that Shanfro has the better approach. But when I saw the scene I immediately thought, "argh, why didn't he ask about Bahamut??!"

I mean they were going to check the loot, then the big world notification popped up and they had to go deal with things, and then you know they were exhausted and wanted to get to a save point and rest/lock their poo poo down.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I am absolutely mystified that people are hung up on them not checking loot immediately.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nihilarian posted:

I am absolutely mystified that people are hung up on them not checking loot immediately.

Yeah I mean I check it, but it's very much an "eventually" type of thing when I know I'm safe and not gonna get ganked or something. As for not asking about Bahamut, with the amount of people I STILL see being completely clueless about the story of Elden Ring, it's not something that I'm surprised about.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
That's fair. I still see people unaware that there's a second map for it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Nihilarian posted:

People exist who have played mmo games, so this reads as immediately unrealistic. You kill a boss mob of this almost unprecedented magnitude, you are checking the loot an attosecond later, period.

Anyways can I ask a manga question? I’m at the part where he cops gilta brille and Sunraku says he doesn’t have the level to use it, then the very next chapter he… uses it? What am I missing here?

Taima fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 29, 2024

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Taima posted:

People exist who have played mmo games, so this reads as immediately unrealistic. You kill a boss mob of this almost unprecedented magnitude, you are checking the loot an attosecond later, period.

Anyways can I ask a manga question? I’m at the part where he cops gilta brille and Sunraku says he doesn’t have the level to use it, then the very next chapter he… uses it? What am I missing here?

I'm not 100% if memory is correct but he equipped some gears that bumped his stats just enough to wield them. The loot thing I can buy in the context of Souls games where you get a rare drop form a mob and pick it up where the game will briefly flash what it is, but since you can't pause you gotta either have noticed it quickly, have killed everything else around, or gotten somewhere safe before you look and see what you got(I've gotten killed due to AFK like this a few times). Similar applies to BotW and TotK where I pick up a weapon and know what it is, but not the stats until I can safely check(easier since I can pause).

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Taima posted:

The missing stat is like the hp stat which is granted by armor. So he... buys the waist armor he was showing off so he has enough to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Thanks to both of you!

AtomikKrab posted:

The missing stat is like the hp stat which is granted by armor. So he... buys the waist armor he was showing off so he has enough to use it.

Ah ok, I see what happened here, it's a little "in the weeds" but:

1) obtains Gilta but thinks he can't use it due to the VIT requirement
2) he realizes that the HEAD item he got from unlocking the armor has enough VIT for him to use it, so he does on the area boss with the support beams.
3) then AFTER that, he gets the waist item, so that he can equip Gilta WITHOUT having the head item, if I'm understanding correctly.

Turns out it was just nerd minutae that confused me in the moment, but makes sense on re-read. As an aside, I love the weapon creativity on display here but Gilta is designed rather strangely, with the big side crystals jutting out almost as far as the scorpion pincer. So idk how the weapon is supposed to pierce with two crystals straddling it, but I'm just being intentionally unreasonable at this point. It doesn't really matter how it looks

The manga has surprised me, by the way- I just started reading it yesterday. The length of the chapters are extremely impressive. Is it made by a single person? I am stunned that someone is putting out a chapter of this manga every week given how long it is.

Overall this manga has been loving awesome, the only thing I am iffy on is the cut away from the manga to focus on side stories, like spending several chapters playing the mech game with Rust. I get it, I guess, it's clear that she is very important to the story, but given that this is 1 chapter a week, the mecha battles took several weeks of real time, which would have probably annoyed me.

Where I am now they just fought Lyca for the second time and are I guess going to a gaming tournament, so I guess we'll have another quasi-break away from SLF for another while. Hopefully it works better than the mechs for me (I think it will because them meeting in real life feels somewhat important-ish).

I'm nowhere near caught up so I am going to give these side stories the benefit of the doubt for now.

Overall I have been absolutely loving the anime and despite that one thing, the manga has been so, SO good. Happy to enjoy with yall <3