Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've never really understood the bracketology tournament but I'm gonna start postin' and votin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Count Thrashula posted:

I've never really understood the bracketology tournament but I'm gonna start postin' and votin'

The part that can be a little bit complicated is putting together and nominating the teams. But once we get going there's really nothing to it, like you said just post and vote.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

There are lots of rules for making teams because of terrible people like me who will try to push them to breaking point

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s mostly because I’m the kid who says “ok we need rules for this game of playing with a balloon we’ve started”.

But as said none of that matters once the tournament begins. All you gotta do is watch what you want, vote how you like, and let us know what you think.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

https://i.imgur.com/NvSJs5c.mp4

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Another PSA for those of us living outside the West: Cellar Dweller is on YouTube as well as the MST3K episode of The Deadly Mantis, if that's what you're into.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
What the gently caress Hobo with a Shotgun lost to a made for TV Fulci???

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That's right

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm going back and forth on cellar dweller vs house of 1000 corpses

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Cellar Dweller is fun but if it wins against RZomb I will lose all faith in Bracketology.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was bored by House of 1000 Corpses. I could say that’s 20 years of maturity or seeing Zombie make better (and worse) films with all the same elements. But truthfully I remember seeing it in the theater and being pretty meh about it. Cellar Dweller was fine but I can’t in good conscience call it better. It felt a bit like an anthology segment from one of those 80s movies like Tales From the Darkside that got stretched out a bit for a feature. I dunno. I’m leaning towards abstaining. Don’t think I have a dog in this fight. Maybe I’ll change my mind.

I’m probably voting for Mantis? I liked it more than my first time but my first time was with Svengoolie so it was a broken up watch. It probably caught me in the right mood but I found it’s familiar 50s giant monster formula comforting. And I thought the Mantis was pretty good and saw more of it than I expected. The Ice Cream thing was fine too but again felt like a decent idea stretched out a bit too much. I definitely enjoyed Mantis more.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s Saturday. I swear I posted this earlier but I got distracted gardening. No poo poo. Anyway. There’s still time yo watch movies and vote. 37 hours? I dunno. You know the deal.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST May 13th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
1. Steve's Monster Blockbusters vs. 16. Team Australian Aberration
8. 100% Found Footage vs. 9. Terence Fisher

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I felt like The Deadly Mantis was good when the mantis was there, but we really don't get enough of the mantis to make it worth watching. It takes far too long to get to the creature. That's fine if you build up the horror of it, but instead of that, it just seems like we're seeing the boring process of them figuring out what's going on. Which, to be fair, also happens in Japanese kaiju movies, but those make up for it by usually having interesting characters. This movie doesn't have any.

We All Scream for Ice Cream is fairly solid horror for most of its runtime. Sure, the story's a pastiche of Stephen King, and the acting is kind of uneven, but on the whole I can't complain. Unfortunately the story kind of falls apart at the end, with a rushed 'happy' resolution (again, borrowed from King) and the unecessary 'is it really over?' ending; by that point it starts to feel too formulaic. I think I liked WASFIC slightly better but would say that the direction is kind of weak compared to Mantis, so I'm not sure which way I'll vote.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
House of 1000 Corpses was an easy vote for me, I'm a Rob Zombie guy so it would've taken a lot to overcome that.

And yea of course I voted for my team, hoping that I don't get completely shut out with my teams here but it's not looking great!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rob Zombie finally gets a win with House of 1000 Corpses and takes down John Carl Buechler’s Cellar Dweller. Meanwhile Nathan Juran’s Deadly Mantis ekes out a win over Tom Holland’s Masters of Horror entry We All Scream For Ice Cream in a hard fought victory. That means both move on for a second round clash in two weeks but we say goodbye to Chucky and his Pals and JCB for another year. Until next Bracketology.

Without further delay lets get to this week.

1. (Basebf’s Steve's Monster Blockbusters) Stephen Sommer’s Van Helsing vs. 16. (Darth’s Team Australian Aberration) Alan Madden’s Mushrooms

The lesser Stephen gets the draw this week with his… polarizing Van Helsing? Van Helsing is ultimately exactly what you’d expect to get if someone made a Universal throwback and homage in the early 2000s. Is that a good thing? A bad thing? Just a thing? Only the votes will decide. On the flip side is another film out of Australia that sounds fairly quirky and provocative? A very different kind of film from Van Helsing’s CGI action heavy entry or so it seems. So which one of these will come out on top? Can Wolverine and Underworld team up to save the day for Blockbusters or will the little 16 seed chew up the competition and sneak on through one more round?

Van Helsing is available for streaming on Starz.
Mushrooms is available for streaming on Kanopy.

8. (Weapon X’s 100% Found Footage) Josh Trank’s Chronicle vs. 9. Terence Fisher’s The Mummy

We’ve got another blockbuster with a drat impressive young cast in Chronicle. This found footage quasi grounded super hero origin film really seems to have hit with people at the time but will a decade of super hero films and shift away from “dark and gritty” hurt it? On the flip side we’ve got Terence Fisher hoping to withstand the times with his version of The Mummy complete was always with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Its old school vs new school for sure here and classic horror vs a more adjacent type. Can the Hammer king pull off a victory here or will the director of the worst Fantastic Four movie and Max Landis get the W?

Chronicle is out there and available upon request.
The Mummy is out there and available upon request.

That’s our week. Sorry its a little late this week. I made a conscious decision to not do write-ups last night and just sleep in today. My bad. But we got a couple of blockbusters, a classic Hammer film, and a quirky foreign deep cut. So another exciting Bracketology week.

As always the goal is to just have fun and watch what you want. We try and make sure every film is reasonably available, some are a little harder to find than others and not everyone has the right streaming services so if you need help finding any of the films ask and help might be right around the corner. It will. I have the movies. Just ask.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST May 20th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
3. Horror Noire vs. 11. Lucio Fulci
4. Tobe Hooper vs. 5. Team Zombie aka the New and Improved Knockoffs of the Living Dead

Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hell yea, I got my vote in for Deadly Mantis at like 10am so good thing I didn't forget!

As for Van Helsing this week, I fully acknowledge that the movie has pacing issues but I think if you go scene by scene there's some really solid stuff in there. The opening scene in particular is really excellent.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Hell yea, I got my vote in for Deadly Mantis at like 10am so good thing I didn't forget!

As for Van Helsing this week, I fully acknowledge that the movie has pacing issues but I think if you go scene by scene there's some really solid stuff in there. The opening scene in particular is really excellent.

It's all Basebf555's fault my team got booted again! :argh:

I think Van Helsing is a terrible movie on its own, but I've never heard of this Mushrooms film so VH may end up winning by dint of being heard of before. We'll see.

I also don't think much of the Hammer Mummy film and that Chronicle is a better film overall. But I don't much care for Josh Trank as a person or a creator after all the stories from his disastrous Fantastic Four reboot from some years back, so I may end up voting against him on the back of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing being dependable old stalwarts and Terence Fisher not being completely up his own rear end and insane.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Mummy also has pacing issues, coincidentally enough.

The thing I really love though about Lee's Mummy is that he's just extremely pissed off the entire time he's on screen. Just wrecking shop every time he shows up, busting down doors, breaking through windows, it's actually a pretty scary portrayal because he has so much rage compared to most other movie mummies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t have a big memory of the Mummy which doesn’t bode well but it’s Hammer and Lee and Cushing so if it catches me in the right mood on a rewatch this week it could easily win. My memory of Chronicle is a big meh as it seemed to me like it played to the much more cynical anti super hero crowd that I’m not part of. So I think I owe both a rewatch but Fisher has a good chance for my vote.

I don’t really like Van Helsing although I’d agree it has good parts. Whether that will be enough to beat out Mushrooms which doesn’t super sound like my thing I’ll find out. I’m definitely probably gonna rewatch Kate Beckinsale fighting monsters.