Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

How was s1 of the fire hunter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

When does Senpai.moe normally update?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I saw that one show from this season (maybe more - I just noticed this one) aired a premiere today and I can report that Fluffy Paradise begins exactly as you'd expect, and if a child petting a tiger sounds fun to watch then it's not terrible. I assume some over-serious exposition of the grand plot (through adventure? Politicking? Weirdly placed shonen power battles?) will occur, but so long as it's got a cure child petting a cute tiger and it doesn't get weird, it's slotting solidly into the category of popcorn I'll watch if there's not a ton of competition this season.

We need a Knife-kun vs Overwork-kun vs Truck-kun three way over-under bet each season for isekai origin stories.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

And oh yeah, that's this post, the live chart is solid - thanks for the link.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I think it's just a no-effort way to get a modern protag into a fantasy world that lets you focus on the fantasy world without having to write a protag that was born there or really justify much of what they do or what goes on. Like, in a sense it's lazy. In another sense it lets you (as reader or as writer) skip to the fantasy wish fulfillment that you wanted from the story in the first place, fully knowing that it makes the story less valuable from the perspective of literary or artistic criticism and thumbing your nose at the high-brow and nobrow at the same time.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

That's a bummer!

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Yeah i was really wondering why the fuq they ended the premiere there. It's fine, I guess. It's low on the list for this season but when Fluffy Paradise is ahead I gotta feeling it might get dropped.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Feldegast42 posted:

Frieren is a generic isekai

isekai'd herself directly into the future not once but twice

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

GateOfD posted:

aww nooo Sign of Affection ep2
The childhood friend!! Sorry dude, you were born into a cursed role. My heart is always with the childhood friend character.

Was wondering what degree of deafness the main character has, so glad it clarified that. Was wondering if the hearing aids were cosmetic and just to easily let people around her identify that she's hearing impaired since she has no problem openly showing them. Since some people can be self-conscious of them.

Really loving all the characters in the show.

I feel like there's a common dynamic that disabled people experience being illustrated here. Like, I do also feel for the childhood friend, but the way he seems to expect Yuki not to have a life (or not to go to college, specifically, in this case) because of her disability is a lovely way that able people treat the disabled all too commonly. It shows how he devalues her agency because of her disability. It's not like Itsuomi's interactions with Yuki are entirely unproblematic - the whole hand on head thing feels p weird - but it seems like he's trying to meet her where she's at without denying her full personhood. He doesn't have experience and is making some missteps, but the thrust of his intent is obvious. Idk how things will develop because of course Itsuomi could end up narrowing Yuki's world instead of expanding it. But expanding her world is what she deserves - that it's narrow isn't an inevitability, it's a function of an ableist society which has at least one representative in the childhood friend who learned sign language but seems to use it primarily to hold Yuki back.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

yeah the OP is rad, but the last ED was just perfect and this one doesn't even give lemon a car (yellow old vw beetle imo)

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I really believe that Tite Kubo should just design characters and do major set piece art and he needs to have a partner who writes stories and a partner who draws the manga frame by frame. His character design is (often) great! His use of those characters is decidedly not!

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

sb hermit posted:

binged watched the first two eps of bravern and I’m sold

may not get anime of the year (that will certainly go to dungeon meshi) but will get a special mention

You misspelled Frieren. But yeah, bravern great (and deranged), dungeon meshi great (and deranged, differently so)

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Yeah I thought I'd drop it almost immediately but it's holding my attention better than the other isekai adjacent show I tried this season (Solo Leveling). Premise is just goofy enough.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Oh I just realized I'm also watching fluffy paradise and that one is great (fun, not objective quality lmao).

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

the Mashle S2 OP > S1 OP, but the S1 ED > S2 ED.

10,000%

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic is good fun if anyone is looking for a lighthearted fantasy/isekai.

Basic story: a random highschool kid accidentally gets isekai'd when two of his schoolmates get summoned to be heroes and he gets caught in the spell. It turns out he has healing magic and he's instantly claimed by the kingdom's crazy healer to join her team of wartime EMTs whose job is to rescue injured soldiers on the frontline when armies clash, and it turns out her method of training healers is an insanely over-the-top bootcamp training regime.

Yeah this one is fun!

The Black Stones posted:

Just saying A Sign of Affection continues to be really good.

And this one is also fun!

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

nielsm posted:

Tbf Sign does have plain girls and dazzling boys.

What

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Everybody very beautiful

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

https://bsky.app/profile/bwprowl.bsky.social/post/3kksonztbzl2r

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Mashle skipped a week huh?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I'm watching that one because my partner really likes it. It's fine I guess. I feel like it's all so artificially high stakes? Idk. But I get why it'd be popular.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Have they done anymore waterboarding in thst one to ramp up the edginess further?

Nope, but plenty of other unsavory edginess.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I thought Rouge and Naomi had great chemistry and I'd like to see em back teamed up soon like someone said above, but I'm on for the rest of this ride almost however it goes.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Yeah Mashle is a lot of fun. Good Apothecary Diaries and Sign of Affection episodes today too. Anyone know what the song that Shin and Emma were listening to was? I swear I recognize the album art.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Pootybutt posted:

Every arc has worked for me so far, I enjoy seeing these turbonerds flex

:emptyquote:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

What did I just watch? That looks amazing. I'm a sucker for delinquents.

Speaking of delinquents, I saw some folks talking up Bucchigiri here and I gave it a try. I didn't know it had delinquents (a big plus) but it turns out it's pretty sick too. MC seems a bit, uh, poo poo as of ep4 but he could turn it around. And even if he doesn't, the set-up and the supporting cast are so good.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITFklIWu0Wg

Yeah ok I guess I'll get back into anime next season.

I guess this is summer not spring but the manga is nuts as gently caress

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Southern Cassowary posted:

y'know this irritates me too and there's apparently an anime schedule api that updates faster than senpai does and has oauth support for saving poo poo so i might go about solving this issue

what are you (or anyone else who uses schedule sites like this) looking for that's not being met by what's out there?

tbh i basically just want senpai that updates earlier and keeps up with changes that happen after the initial data load (ie, bravern is on crunchyroll but not according to senpai). the mal integration isn't terrible, but i'd be down for a non-mal way to mark what i wanna see and not. showing which ep it's on and how many remain would be rad too, or marking when an ep is the finale, or marking airdate and finale date or something.

i think i prefer the way senpai organizes shows by season than the way livechart handles things by real world date, but it might still be nice to be able to include shows from last/next season which are currently airing in some dynamic fashion? I'm not sure how to elegantly design something like this to be, like, usable, but hey.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

the inspiring music swell into showing twitter on a phone that just happened in tomozaki is the most cursed thing i've ever seen in an anime

Absolutely incredible moment there. This dork's absolutely making the wrong choice lmao

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

the bit where he continues and is like "have you used this app? let me show you how..." is somewhere in the same vibe ballpark as a microsoft informational video from the 90s. was loving crazy.

also the idea that someone would be a nerd and really into fantasy novels and isn't already talking about this poo poo with a ton of online friends. tomozaki (the show) usually hits or is at least interesting with this stuff and that development was so poorly considered and landed so weirdly i was flabbergasted.

I saw you say earlier that (despite all it's manifest and real flaws) that this show has often said interesting things about social dynamics and individual social development even to the point of making you introspect on yourself and I definitely agree. Earlier in the run, Fuuka was one of my favorite characters. She was a great foil for Aoi - introverted rather than extroverted, earnest rather than manufactured, honest rather than Machiavellian. And, I guess, she is still all those things. But over time she's becoming my least favorite character basically because she and tomozaki have like negative chemistry and he's basically freezing her development as a person at the same time as he chooses her as his romantic interest at the same time as he continues to prioritize Aoi over all others. Dashing this off quickly so it's kinda half baked, but the tomozaki/Fuuka thing is really not landing for me rn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

AnoHito posted:

My thoughts on this season is that not nearly enough people are watching Bucchigiri. 1001 Nights, but with high school delinquents isn't something I ever knew I wanted before I saw it in action.

It's super good and super stylish!