Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Terry van Feleday posted:

Anyway, I'll be watching Dungeon Meshi and Metallic Rouge. Truth be told I'm not sure what animating Dungeon Meshi could actually add to it since the manga is great as-is, but hey, it'll be good too probably. Metallic Rouge I am kind of more curious about because it looks neat and I'm looking forward to the banter between 2 leads voiced by Yume Miyamoto (Rikka Gridman) and Tomoyo Kurosawa (Kumiko Euphonium & Phosphophyllite). Glad this season is a bit lighter than the previous rather chaotic one, tbh.

in the same boat show-wise, also gonna give Tis Time for Torture the three-ep test+see if any posts in this thread can convince me to try a show out like Stardust Telepath this season, but otherwise it's feelin pretty light

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Doodles posted:

I don't understand folks saying there's nothing good this season. They must be the type who look at a fridge full of food and say there's nothing to eat because none of it is filet mignon or lobster.

in this case the fridge is mostly full of either leftovers reheated multiple times already (say the fantasy/isekai line for massive lulz) or Tupperware marked with "?" where you gotta eat it to find out. it's not uncommon first impressions don't grab people and they rely on word of mouth to get into something.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

please no

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Doodles posted:

Something I hadn't thought about until I heard it on a video the other day is that elf fans have been eating real good these past couple of years. Not just Frieren and Marcille, but we had "Otaku Elf" last Spring and "Welcome to Japan, Ms. Elf" has recently been announced. Then there's all of Cid's crew in "Eminence in Shadow." Now all we need is "Plus-Sized Elf" and "Elf no Futanari"...

...okay, maybe not that last one. Who can say. Either way, we're having an Eflstravaganza here.

freak pervert post

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mr. villain's day off is about a hot guy doing mundane things.

if you wanted that, follow me around with a camera. wham bam thank you ma'am

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Big Leg posted:

tis time for torture actually looked pretty good. lots of fun animation

https://i.imgur.com/h1VLRjh.mp4

yeah i was pleasantly surprised by the animation, i only know Pine Jam for Do It Yourself!!, which wasn't badly animated aside from the attempts at CGI but it was definitely a whole different ballgame here and they executed it pretty well. some good gags, i really liked how cute the art style for the ED was, as long as they vary up the formula enough i think i'll be sticking with it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

also as an aside the misnomer title also got me flamed into starting HxH which absolutely rules so far so thank you, Pine Jam

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

made a thread for Metallic Rouge btw, & added to the OP

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4051393

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

i feel like every season some isekai airs that the same 3 goons are like 'yooo this ones Different' and then people watch it and go 'this is a generic isekai' and then it repeats

it's a psyop

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

Like wine tasters, only the ones with a refined palate can tell the minute differences

slash me downs a Four Loko and punches a hole through your chest a la Killua

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Feldegast42 posted:

Frieren is a generic isekai

symbolic posted:

slash me downs a Four Loko and punches a hole through your chest a la Killua

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

New season must be bad if we're already at the 'litigating what counts as an isekai' part of the thread.

Metallic Rouge isn't out yet & we're all getting antsy

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

Metallic Rouge isn't out yet & we're all getting antsy

i willed it into existence. praise be

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

thought we had another hour, is it up

if you know where to look for it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tales of Woe posted:

it was fun, that imagine dragons rear end insert song is bad though, thats my only real complaint

it ruled actually, and i despise ID

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Parallax posted:

metallic rouge's a show that would have come out in 2007 and if somebody mentioned the title in 2024 you'd go, i watched that, i think.

be that as it may im fully along for the ride

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

also adding into that first bit, pretty sure Jaron leads her into that by asking if she's let anyone new into her life, which of course is going to be her newest assistant first. the subtitles were a bit clunky for that so i was a bit confused at first too, but it's not Sara just abruptly going from thinking Rouge is intervening in her life to vice versa

e:

Southern Cassowary posted:

honestly though i get where you're coming from, because the entire thing feels like they made a concerted choice to drop midway into a story that's already happening and it's not entirely clear why they did this yet - i think there's some unreliable narrator stuff going on with rouge.
yeah i feel like the anime lives or dies depending on how its plotline unravels. definitely sticking with it towards the end since it looks fantastic and the action scenes whipped rear end, but that's the dividing line between it making my top 5 AOTY or not

symbolic fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 11, 2024

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Exactly, but everyone should have been wondering why this red mecha which could easily shrug off bullets and which had already killed several just turned around and ran off. It makes no sense for them to go "yep, there to kill me!" in that context when (as far as they knew) it easily could and was willing but chose not to.

you have to realize that at that point neither the audience nor the characters know/remember that Jaron has shapeshifting ability nor is trying to get Sara to defect through illusionary use of it, so for all both Sara and the bodyguards know that was the real deal. i don't know why you think they have to automatically assume it's an impostor only trying to intimidate Sara, especially when they're all panicking. if, say, in a slasher movie, the bad guy's getting ready to chainsaw someone in half only to get shot at by the cops and turn tail, i don't know how your first thought would be "hey, that might not be the real Dissector of the Ozarks!"

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

Still enjoying It's Time for "Torture". The first real "torture" in the series. I do like the enhancements they've been making. Many of the jokes are fundamentally the same between torturers but it's fun and light and sometimes that's all that's needed.

yeah it's keeping me invested and smiling so far. feels like it'll end up as a good and lighthearted 7/10 seasonal, always down with those

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tales of Woe posted:

my best guess is monogatari, aniplex produces that and theres unadapted stories that start with those letters.

https://twitter.com/mahjongfan1/status/1747600210388246996

apparently this relates to the unadapted arcs somehow, im not versed in Gatari at all but that's what I'm seeing

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Big Leg posted:

apparently this anime season is about torturing little kids with chocolate

https://i.imgur.com/kfIMWVL.mp4

insane that the one whose literal job is torture is the more benevolent one

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Larryb posted:

Though to be fair how do you make a golf anime interesting?

Birdie Wing was mentioned literally two posts above you

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tis Time for Torture Princess has held up past the 3-ep test imo, definitely shaking up the formula by this point while still keeping within the premise and also entertainingly lighthearted. lol'd at how absurdly long the knight's spell chants are, also wondering if his name is just a direct ref to Geass Lelouch which would be a weird ref to have but amusing

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

what does this mean

there is food used as "torture" in the show. and it looks good

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

love the 'rewards' in Chained Soldier that its just an excuse for the author to go 'fanservice time' lol

uh-huh

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Spookydonut posted:

i cant believe firefighter daigo is still going

wait what lmao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

i imagined it like part of the spine.
like maybe the bottom part lol

that's absolutely right

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

Remember a thing where
It’s like people fall on their butt and go “my spleen!”

Wonder where that was from

ive only ever heard that when someone gets hit in the side

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

sb hermit posted:

lol at all the manga spoilers for Frieren

i dropped off Frieren (not do to disliking it but my group stopped watching anime together a month or so ago) and didn't notice, uhhhh i thought it went without saying but spoiler that poo poo from here on out ty

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Feldegast42 posted:

Is Dungeon Meshi any good? It was hyped to hell but now that's it's airing I'm not hearing much of it and a lot of people seemed turned off by the first few episodes.

no idea who those people are. it's very good

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

is Undead Adventurer the undead one where he's super OP, and a good guy, but everyone thinks he's evil and runs away or keeps trying to kill him

sounds agonizing to watch if that's the case

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

OnimaruXLR posted:

Then again I'm still mad about the Azumanga Daioh anime so maybe I just have unreasonable expectation for cartoons about my favorites

...?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Metallic Rouge has unfortunately ended up in the chasm of "i'll watch the new ep tomorrow, oh how do i have four eps to catch up with" for no real reason, though given its approach to the exposition and pacing it might be ideal to binge it? not sure, but tomorrow...catching up for sure

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

haypliss posted:

You waited the perfect amount of time, as there are now two good episodes on the other side of the Nean colony/Circus stuff.

let's loving goooooo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

Metallic Rouge has unfortunately ended up in the chasm of "i'll watch the new ep tomorrow, oh how do i have four eps to catch up with" for no real reason, though given its approach to the exposition and pacing it might be ideal to binge it? not sure, but tomorrow...catching up for sure

hmmm. tomorrow for sure

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

it's so over

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

golf sucks, but if anime girls are playing golf then it rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

catching up tomorrow i swear