Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The thing about elves is that people frequently try to do Tolkien-style elves, but without the part where the elves are actually awe-inspiring and almost angelic in nature, so you end up with an entire race of people who think very highly of themselves even though nobody else in the setting shares that opinion.

I think it's very key to how elves work for Tolkien that literally everybody in Middle-Earth genuinely thinks elves are incredible and also hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Also, Marcille's book was actually correct, since her method provides a mandrake that's chemically-distinct from ones you harvest the "easy" way, which is probably important for the things wizards want mandrakes for.

I'm not really sure why "earplugs" or "a really long rope" wouldn't be a better solution than the dog thing, though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Can we get that added as a survey?

Has Laios killed before?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Better benefits package than most of the competition, though.

I mean, there's something to be said for "the Tansus pay really well."

I also really appreciated Namari's perspective here, because she isn't really wrong. If your friends are letting you give too much of yourself away and not giving anything in return, they aren't your friends.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

haddedam posted:

Frierens good and all but this does to frieren what MHA did to shounen -perfected it. Defiantly anime of the year.

Frieren and Dungeon Meshi are both good, but as an adaptation, I think I'd have to give the award to Frieren. The Frieren anime takes a manga that was really good, and carefully presents it so as to add all the things that the manga was missing (presumably because the original artist could not draw them and just went with a take that didn't include them), turning something that was really good but had some flat edges into a complete and colorful experience.

Dungeon Meshi is just a really great adaptation of really great material; Frieren is quite possibly the best adaptation, as an adaptation, that has ever been made.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

haypliss posted:

This adaptation feels like it's bringing a new angle and energy, which I value over Frieren just going for a straight but expanded take.

That's an interesting take; do you want to talk about the angle you think this adaptation is approaching the material from?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Sadly, "casual" clothing just emphasizes how tiny Chilchuck is. There's a reason most of the half-foots we see wear neckbands and capes that broaden their profile a bit!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Nah he's strictly himbo

Apparently tallfellows get the short end of both sticks, because elves and elf-dominated cultures consider them overly crude and bulky, whereas dwarves and dwarf-dominated cultures find them waifish and effeminate.

Thus Laios can be both twink, hunk, and otter all at once.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It really is impressive that there are basically no heterosexual ships in this anime worth mentioning. The closest is probably Tansu/Tansu, and after that you're stuck with Falin/Shuro and Kabru/Rin, so it's either stuff like "things that happened a hundred years ago" or "things that will never happen ever".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Zeruel posted:

kabru's a loving arrogant sociopath
"oh the toudens gave money to their injured party members"
"oh thats nice of them-"
"but the injured party members were faking it and got into illegal manufacturing"
okay? isn't it more likely the party members were not being completely honest with the toudens and just taking their money?

I feel like Kabru gets that that's likely; he just thinks it's a sign that there's something wrong with Laios for him to be technically competent but still gullible.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kabru ordered the party to drag their bodies into the water (note that Mr. Tansu commented earlier that if ?????? hadn't dragged the Kabrooeys out of the water, they'd have been eaten by fish) and to drop their money, which they need to pay resurrection fees, to the bottom of the lake.

He wants those guys to stay dead.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ghost sex posted:

murder should be legal, but only for me

I think you'll find that everything down here is the legal property of King Delgal, and that tresspassers are to be punished with death, so, everything Kabru did checks out.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This also ties into the orcs' complaint of "stop wandering around the dungeon that gives you limitless power without thinking about what you'd do if you got given limitless power, idiot".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

amigolupus posted:

Here's a thought experiment: How would Laios and the others fare if they had been the ones who encountered the corpse retrievers? Would they have fallen for the illusion and killed each other? How would they have dealt with the corpse retrievers? Would they even get away without a fight?

Marcille would make one of her Marcille faces and the illusion would become obvious to all.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

perfection

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Laios knows that you aren't supposed to kill another human so that you can eat them, but if someone happens to get killed and their flesh is just going to go to waste, he doesn't really understand why other people have such a gut-level horror of eating them.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

MARCILLE: "We are all in the Monster Manual, are we not? My entry is between Elemental and Ethereal Filcher."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I am assured that his ultimate and only goal is to kiss Laios on the mouth.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The first couple of guys were part of a tense stand-off and had a reasonable chance of murdering Kabru later, so I think they could probably be said to have been killed in lukewarm blood.

Killing the caster was 100% in cold blood, though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm not an expert but I feel like Kensuke is name-y enough that Laios can shout it dramatically without completely derailing the scene, in a way that Swordbert is not.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly, I think Falin and Senshi could make it happen, especially since Marcille would be right behind them once she realizes what Falin has done.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Imagine what would happen if Kabru wore a costume and did a monster mating dance for Laios. I feel like he'd get the desired response.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

He'd be correcting everything Kabru got wrong, the stance too upright, moves are too stiff, the sounds arent even from the right animal, the costume's details are all off

But what if Kabru did it again and took Laios’ corrections to heart?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Talk about literally any other thing now please, I'm begging you.

I think there's a lot of discourse to be had from how Laios' inability to read the room gets him labelled as "autistic", but being unable to communicate your desires the way Shuro is or completely emotionally constipated the way Chilchuck is would be considered "normal."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Then again, if the alternative is several pages discussing half a second of tittybounce it may be fine in comparison

We also have the option of discussing who to ship Laios with. There's really an entire buffet of discourse open to us!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

To be fair, relatively few women people in this show don't fall for Kabru to some extent. He's not a useful baseline.

fixed

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

You can't have enemies-to-lovers if you aren't enemies, so they can't possibly be friends. That's logic.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

So what people are saying is that Shuro's feelings for Laios are more than simple friendship.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The real Kabru would immediately kill the illusionary Kabrus, causing them to turn into leaves. This would wig the shapeshifter out so much that it would just leave.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Senshi reminds me of Garnet Stevenuniverse in that his flaws are clearly there and the author obviously knows about them, but the narrative isn't really interested in calling them out specifically, in part because nobody else in the story has really parsed them yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I like how in Chilchuck's channel he makes a point of answering the question in the title so you aren't forced to watch the video if you don't want to.