Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
Really good episode. Composition and animation of the armours was something exceptional. if all the action-intensive episodes are animated like this, in that very Trigger style, I think it'll shape up to be an excellent adaptation.
also

Oxxidation posted:

laios to the dungeon monsters: "foolish beasts. you cannot begin to fathom how much of a loving weirdo i am"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I'm sure only manga readers would possibly give a poo poo, and I don't know if it's an early instalment thing or just a dub thing or what, but the Orc chief keeps distinguishing elves from humans and just generally using the word human wrong in this episode and it's driving me crazy. You're all human in this setting!

I think it's a specific cultural thing on the part of the orcs. Elves are the big-poo poo superpower who meddle with everything (so they get distinguished/called out specifically) and tallmen are the most common kind of human (so they end up as the demihuman shorthand for adversary-humans in general); thus, while the orc chieftain is familiar with specific terms like "half-foot" and "tallman" for human subspecies, he uses humans and elves in the same way that people in our world might call out Europeans -- which can include very historically uneven European nationalities like the English or French as compared to the Irish or Finns -- and Americans in a colonial-historical or geopolitical context.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

do they ever go into lifespans in Meshiverse

Yeah. Be patient and accept the setting drip-feed as it comes. (or read the manga.)

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

haypliss posted:

Ryoko Kui has ruined the cute dog.

I think that's the point. Mick always treats Kuro like an actual dog -- the entire visual and thematic gimmick is "boy and his dog" -- but [literally] peeling back the surface he's exposed to the stark physical reality that Kuro is as much a person as Mick and everyone else is. And that fucks with his head and makes him immediately backpedal to obscure the dissonance, preserving the possessive and dehumanising delusion.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Absolutely correct read from trigger though that chil is a top and senshi is a bottom.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Speaking of Ryoko Kui: what do you think her next work will be?

I'm kind of hoping she does something in the Dungeon Meshi world, but following a new set of characters. Like, there still feels like there's stuff to explore there.

But if she does a whole new thing in a whole new world that would be fun too.

She's shown off a lot of artwork on non-DM urban fantasy characters (and a lot on urban fantasy re-envisionings of DM, and many stories in her previous anthologies also dabbled in it) and it's all really enchanting. Hoping she follows up on that particular vision with her next series, whether it's a centuries-in-the-future "modern" DM or a new setting.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
fingers and toes rule actually. Dogs would be twice as cool if they had fingers and toes to wear people shoes and stab stuff with people knives.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

lightrook posted:

Laios, of course, would be a terrible servant for the mad mage, talk his ears off, and maybe even chew on his newly-grown monster parts.

It's an interesting thought. Honestly servant-Laios might be a much greater threat than chimera Falin if he can communicate with the Mage and provide advice for better, much more dangerous monsters. What's one queen next to a set of rooks, bishops, and knights? Though perhaps the mage, despite the madness, has already reached the achievable limits of monster biology within his control.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

Ah that's too bad, but at least I'm pretty sure I took away what Kui intended for the reader to understand. It's pretty fun to Kabru-craft a bit and try and figure out Shuro's reasoning and actions. Like, his retinue have already got it in their heads (and 4th wall breaks) that Shuro will save Falin and have a kid with him as their next lord. And then we find out that Falin hadn't even said yes to his proposal yet and just told him she would think about it. So what was your plan, Shuro? Grab your family retainers and rescue Falin on your own, sweeping her away from the Island and going home to the East with a bride in tow, leaving her obnoxious brother behind? He rips into Laios for being unable to read a room yet he decided to go off and plan his own rescue rather than stick with people who are adamant about getting their friend/sibling back. He condemns Marcille for her methods despite that being the only way they could have saved Falin to begin with and calls Laios reckless. He doesn't seem to consider what kind of emotional attachment they have to Falin that would drive them to such extremes to save her, but somehow Shuro's gonna do it all the while not sleeping or eating. That's not reckless. And yet somehow it's Laios who can't read people. And all this over a girl that for all we know he had a one-sided crush on because he could never express it until he sprang a marriage proposal.

He's a fun character for being such a wreck.

Also Chilchuck and Mickbell eavesdropping on them and both agreeing tallmen are weird was a good bit.

Tbf it doesn't seem like Shuro anticipated Laios&co were going to jump right back into the dungeon after he left to get his retainers from the mainland. Operating on the grounds that time was of the essence and that trying to tackle the dragon again without more back-up would be suicidal, Shuro certainly had the right idea in leaving to get more support. Unfortunately he did fail to properly communicate that to the rest of the group at the onset, which led to this outcome. His support and that of Kabru's party (who probably wouldn't be here if not for joining up with Shuro when they did) still ended up being essential to driving off Falin, so hid actions at least weren't wasted.

It's an interesting parallel between Shuro and Laios, with both failing socially but for rather different reasons. Laios makes up for it in other ways, but with Shuro the mode of self-expression he's derived from his personality and culture have only been shown to be a hindrance to him. With Laios being Laios, it suggests the possibility that he latched on to Shuro as hard as he did not just because of Shuro's seeming "patience" and "tolerance", but also perhaps from an angle of sympathy for Shuro appearing to be alienated by society like Laios himself is.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
That's like, at least ten Hemsworth's worths of chest. What did the mage do to your poor body Laios :(

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

amigolupus posted:

I don't know about this. This feels to me like it's reading a shallow and/or more negative connotation to Shuro's motivation or ascribing neurodivergence on Laios and Falin yet again

"Ascribing"? Have you seen Laios?

But sure, people do run away with it a bit and yeah I agree there's some misprojection on Shuro. Homies got to punch each other so it's all chill though.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

That reminds me, I was wondering if Mickbell was even a fighter or was a pacifist like Chilchuk.

It's not a matter of them being pacifists so much as it is they're very smol guys and not so good at this "fighting" thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Unlucky7 posted:

Is this a reference to something? I think I have seen something like that before. A G Gundam Opening, maybe?

It looked to me like a visual allusion to Vishvarupa, with the framing providing that Laios was invoking the dogs as a part of himself and then "becoming" one to succeed in battle.