Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I remember reading a little bit of the manga back when it was fairly new but never got around to really keeping up with it. Heard a lot of good things about the series and it hasn't disappointed. Also interesting to note: cross-referencing with the chapter list, the first 3 episodes cleanly line up with the first volume of the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Here's a few interesting tweet threads going into behind the scenes analysis of each episode:
https://x.com/Yuyucow/status/1742979176670646368
https://x.com/Yuyucow/status/1745501448933179744
https://x.com/Yuyucow/status/1748024395723903319
https://x.com/Yuyucow/status/1750547877623890111

OP also wrote an article about some of the behind the scenes production on the series

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1753127844354429337
(thread)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://x.com/Yuyucow/status/1755677640697016386
particularly fascinating production info tweet thread this time around, though heads up that there's a vague "this comes back later" type of spoiler near the end (albeit something that anime onlys could easily assume on their own)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

another interesting sakugabooru write-up

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

yeah it looks like this is his first anime; the closest we've gotten before this was some of his video game roles being dubs (mainly the Kingdom Hearts series, and even then it was mainly him voicing his usual Disney characters like Chip and Yen Sid as well as taking over Christopher Lee's role as Ansem the Wise)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

there have been 2 bits of bonus stuff that have already been incorporated into the anime:
The bit where they talk about Living Armor mating habits was actually from a bonus page at the end of the volume rather than part of the chapter itself

likewise the bit the mimic episode ends on with the small mimic in a helmet

that being said yeah most of the end of volume bonus pages haven't been included, and who knows if anything from Daydream Hour or the Adventurers Bible will pop up

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Teriyaki's misremembering this from the volume's bonus pages (separate from the parasite)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

You'll also see people talking about what anime are happening "this season" as in the seasons that cours correspond with; in terms of anime seasons January-March is considered Winter, April-June is Spring, July-September is Summer, and October-December is Fall (so this show is airing during Winter 2024 and Spring 2024). I know in the UK production orders of episodes are referred to as "series" instead of "seasons", and that's a good way to think about the distinction with japanese shows as well (in UK terms we're in Series 1)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It has post-episode 13 spoilers as well

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It's sorta disinct from the American concept of TV seasons in that a show can be multiple cours but a sing continous production but yeah

Especially since the recent trend of longer anime being broken up into multiple seasons often have said seasons be multiple cour themselves

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Yeah the official English translation of the manga messed up

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Yeah Studio Trigger usually does single-cour series; the only ones longer (all of which being 2 cour) being Kill la Kill, Ninja Slayer (which had half-length episodes), Little Witch Academia, and Darling in the Franxx (which Trigger only produced 6 episodes of). Hell I feel like Dungeon Meshi has a pretty good chance of being the very first Trigger anime to have multiple seasons (given that we are not finishing the manga in 11 episodes)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Something interesting about the latest episode: while it covers chapters 31 and 32, it's also bookended by stuff from the first page of chapter 33 (which is otherwise gonna be in this week's episode); might be a nod to the fact that chapter 33 was actually originally chapter 31 during magazine serialization and got moved ahead when released in volume format.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

IIRC it was from the provisions the Orcs gave them (IIRC the cheese is specifically described as being from the orcs)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I feel like there are 3 ways to handle talking about bonus content:
1) Don't post anything side content wise (even if it doesn't have any spoilers) that wasn't out at the time the manga chapters covered in the latest episode were released; i.e. it would be fine to post stuff from the Miscellaneous Monster Tales segments of the first 5 volumes, Daydream Hour 2 (which came out with chapter 31; Daydream Hour 1 didn't have any Dungeon Meshi stuff), and some other minor things, but later Daydream Hours, later volume Miscellaneous Monster Tales segments, the Adventurer's Bible, and some other minor misc content (and in fact with the end point people are predicting the show will stop at will be before the release of any of the further Daydream Hours and the Guidebook)

2) Don't post any side book content at all.

3) consider Miscellaneous Monster Tales stuff not adapted to be :filez: (since those are in the back of the manga volumes), leave other stuff that fits what I listed as okay in #1 to be still fine

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 23, 2024

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

So some of the anime onlys in this thread may have heard the title "Daydream Hour" thrown about and wondering what it is; basically every so often Harta (the magazine that serialized the manga) included a bonus called "Daydream Hour", which was basically a mini artbook of stuff from Kui. The first one came out in the same issue as chapter 27 (late into the Red Dragon fight) but didn't have any Dungeon Meshi stuff in it. Now the 2nd one came out with chapter 31 (the Dryad chapter, which was released before the Sea Serpent two-parter in the magazine but moved a little forward in the volumes and anime) and has both non-DM and DM stuff, though most of it was concept art and practice art, with only one actual comic in it. I'm not gonna post everything, but I figured I'd post the comic in it and some other highlights.

Like I brought up in an earlier post, the subsequent Daydream Hours came out at a point that the anime isn't gonna reach unless it gets a second season. The stuff would be collected in a book that came out in japan at the start of the year, but I don't think that has an english release announced.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

We haven't gotten to that bit in the anime yet

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

So here's a fun fact: the original magazine Dungeon Meshi was serialized in (Harta) comes out 10 times a year (monthly with 2 non-consecutive months skipped)

So with this episode, we've reached the end of year 4.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

neat fact: this episode was storyboarded by Akira Amemiya, the director of SSSS.Gridman and SSSS.Dynazenon (Dungeon Meshi's own director, Yoshihiro Miyajima, was an episode director on multiple episodes of the former and straight up the show's assistant director on the latter)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

small joke from the manga that unfortunately didn't make it into the anime

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

From what I understand, the episodes so far that have had a significant amount of outsourcing have been episode 2 (the Basilisk/Mandrake ep, outsourced to Studio Colorido), episode 4 (the Golem/Orc ep, outsourced to Yostar Pictures), episode 6 (the Living Painting/Mimic ep, outsourced to Enishiya), episode 14 (the Sea Serpent ep, outsourced to Studio Wit), and now this ep (outsourced to Studio Kai)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Kwyndig posted:

With the current schedules for production outsourcing is inevitable. It's impossible for one studio to produce 24 episodes of anime with consistent quality in the time they are given by the production committees. I'd say instead of chiding Trigger for outsourcing be glad that the outsourced episodes still look good and mostly on model. That means they picked good studios to do the work, instead of just grabbing whoever was available.

I don't think anyone in the thread was talking negatively about the fact that Trigger did some outsourcing for the show

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Not sure how the mods would rule, but I'd say spoiler tag it and that discussing the contents is fine-ish, but spoiler tagged with some sort of note that the spoiler tagged stuff is related to the trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Here's a fun fact: A lot of manga have pilot one-shots, and like pilot episodes of shows, it's common for them to be a little different from the final series. Dungeon Meshi's pilot one-shot from 2013 had... Izutsumi (for context the series began serialization at the start of 2014, Izutsumi first showed up in Shuro's party in early 2016, and she joined the main party at the start of 2017)