Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I just finished reading the manga version of this a few days ago and yeah its gonna be great. everyone loves marcille and i get it, but i would submit that actually every main character is the best. this story has a really good cast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I sympathize a lot with chilchuk's tired-eyed 'i just work here' vibe and he's a wonderful straight man to the other party members' goofy nonsense

much like marcille, a very unique interpretation of a fantasy archetype. halflings are usually much less cranky

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Lt. Lizard posted:

To be fair, elves being hot is like the one thing that is almost always consistent across fiction, to the point where I would argue that its their defining characteristic.

EDIT:

Yeah, I like all the elves in the Frieren. But to be honest, they are so rare that I am not sure liking them count as liking the whole elven race/society. :v:

Elves are nearly always hot, yeah, but tolkien elves are the first children of god, who have existed since the age of legend and beheld the light of valinor when the world was young, etc etc. The oldest elves are more like mythical demigods than they are like other people.

So the vibe is a bit different than just 'insufferably smug hot people who live a long time'

Re: frieren, yeah elves being nearly extinct there means it doesn't need to explain what 'elven society' is like. The main theme of the interactions between elves we've seen so far in the show is how they as individuals deal with their near-immortality. It's informed less by a culture that doesn't exist anymore, and which frieren seems to barely remember, and more by who they are as people.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

VideoWitch posted:

Really liked the episode, my one complaint is admittedly pretty minor and it's that they didn't include the ingredients list and nutritional info for the meals like they do in the manga.

Yeah, this is kind of what I expected from netflix, honestly

It's disappointing but at least the dialogue itself appears to be translated fine

SlowBloke posted:

Q: is this going to evolve from the "guy is super into weird poo poo, girl isn't" joke? I'm giving the series the usual three eps but I am not convinced from this first ep.

also yeah dont worry, marcille is a giant weird goofus

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Marcille is probably the fan favorite character, everyone loves marcille

but I do think that having dungeon meshi at tv show pacing means we spend a lot more time with the first set of chapters that everyone who read the manga got through in 20 minutes and then forgot about. it is what it is and its not like these episodes have been bad

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Yeah these are the chapters where it becomes clear that dungeon meshi is loving weird, but weird in a pretty novel way

Also I thought that the animation/artstyle was a little different in this episode in a way that is distinctly trigger

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

sungwon's voice acting aside they did a really good job making senshi look slightly unhinged in this scene

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Asterite34 posted:

I feel like Laios might have subtly crossed a line eating the eggs of a sapient tool-using species. That was a little hosed up, dude just ate a baby.

Ah well, he got his comeuppance in the form of the parasite he got from eating that other, larger parasite

laios pointing out that a cow is closer to a human, genetically, than the fishman is is a great example of the way laios thinks

he legitimately doesn't see the problem and that's the point

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

they haven't skipped anything so far that I can remember, so i don't think there's much reason to think the pacing will change from what it currently is

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

one extremely cool detail i forgot about is the idea that dragons use their tongue to ignite their fire breath like we would with a hand lighter

the worldbuilding, as always, is dope

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Rand Brittain posted:

Frieren and Dungeon Meshi are both good, but as an adaptation, I think I'd have to give the award to Frieren. The Frieren anime takes a manga that was really good, and carefully presents it so as to add all the things that the manga was missing (presumably because the original artist could not draw them and just went with a take that didn't include them), turning something that was really good but had some flat edges into a complete and colorful experience.

Dungeon Meshi is just a really great adaptation of really great material; Frieren is quite possibly the best adaptation, as an adaptation, that has ever been made.

yeah i'd def agree with this

dungeon meshi is a much better manga than frieren imo, in that frieren is quite good but dungeon meshi is one of the best mangas ever

adaptation-wise, this is a very competent adaptation of its source material. frieren constitutes an elevation of it

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Senshi is married to his craft.

Laios will never marry.

Chilchuck is the straight man, and also the straight man

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

gandalf is much more of a go-getter than frieren is. frieren is (gandalf's backstory; 70-year-old lord of the rings spoilers, lmao) not an embodied angel sent on a mission from the gods so she basically just does whatever she feels like doing

and 'frieren does whatever she feels like doing' would be a fair summary of the story so far, i'd say

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 24, 2024

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

mickbell is a scab so he's definitely the worst. kabru is... very full of himself, but i do find him interesting

really fun to see the ryoko kui illustrations in the ED

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

The_Doctor posted:

Anyway, back to our heroes!

The heroes: “so… hungy…”

also this shot was very good

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

marcille/falin has some solid evidence for it and involves characters that are actually important

every other ship is some combination of speculative and/or not important. dungeon meshi is not a very shipping-centric show

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

laios/marcille makes no sense, mostly because laios/anybody makes no sense

he knows what sex is but only specifically in the context of Cool Monster Facts that would make for uncomfortable conversation

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

your coworker doing an extremely bad job of hiding her crush on you is not license to do that out of the blue, certainly

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

ninjewtsu posted:

i'm not entirely sure what laios wouldn't eat tbh

probably not dirt

eating other humans seems like something he knows would be against decorum but he doesn't understand the line there implicitly, i'm not confident he wouldn't take a bite of half foot if he was able to ignore the social consequences

Laios would absolutely eat diirt, provided it was interesting monster related dirt

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Like no he wouldn't eat just any old dirt from the ground but if you convinced him it was Cool Dirt that might taste interesting, down the hatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

tbh it's very clear from how shuro acts around his entourage that he does not want them to be there, especially not the woman who's pretty much his mom, and he only accepted their help because he desperately wanted to save falin

if you want to interpret that as harem wish fulfillment that's fine but shuro definitely does not agree