Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
It's been decades since I attended SDCC, but they had a super convenient and robust shuttle system that made staying at hotels moderately far from the convention center quite convenient.
In the years I've attended Gen Con, I've either been at an adjacent hotel, or at a hotel in the fuckin boonies with no shuttle service, so I have no idea what Gen Con's shuttle is like.

One difference between Gen Con and other conventions I realized is that Gen Con is largely staffed by volunteers who get "free" rooms. Big professional conventions and sporting events hire a much smaller number of locals (since they don't need an army of game masters and such) and don't need to use many rooms to staff their shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Bucnasti posted:

One difference between Gen Con and other conventions I realized is that Gen Con is largely staffed by volunteers who get "free" rooms. Big professional conventions and sporting events hire a much smaller number of locals (since they don't need an army of game masters and such) and don't need to use many rooms to staff their shows.

I don't think the difference is as great as you think. Gen Con official staff is like 12 people. Then they have their long term and short term "volunteers" who are now paid employees who may or may not get a room depending on their seniority and how many hours they are working at the convention. Also it isn't like they each get a room, in most cases they have to split a room 4 staff to 1 room. Then there are the local temp employees they hire to do a lot of things as well. So yeah, Gen Con has a lot of staff but I don't know how many rooms they are taking up. Certainly its not an insignificant amount but it isn't going to be as massive as you may think it is.

All of this of course reminds me of the comedy moment that happened on facebook in the fall last year when Luke Gygax said all the Gary Con staff and special guests take up 300 rooms at the Grand Geneva. This is the convention hotel, and it only has 350 hotel rooms total.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
God I remember you telling me Gary Con uses a lot of the rooms themselves but that is just fantastic

And Gary Con is one of the conventions people suggest attending instead of Gen-Con because Gen-Con is too big and too hard to attend. Welp

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

There aren't really any nearby hotels either. Definitely nothing in walking distance, and parking is a giant pain.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Syntaxed posted:

The biggest thing that makes no loving sense is WHY ISN'T THERE A LIGHT RAIL FROM AIRPORT TO DOWNTOWN??? Any sort of mass transit option would make it way easier instead of relying on Uber/Lyft madness to get from all these outskirts to the main hubs/downtown. They even have footbaw games and other stuff.

If I knew I could take a relatively affordable train downtown from the lovely hotel at the airport or elsewhere it would make it really no big deal and would probably solve things for the most part.

Also what ever happened to Gen Con running the shuttles they had that one year? I remember it being Very Cramped and the the shuttles were super late but it seemed like a more affordable way to get there from all these outskirts we are banished to.

Because the state made anything along those lines illegal.

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004

Backno posted:

Because the state made anything along those lines illegal.

:911:

Well hopefully when event registration happens in May people will get mad again and some more hotel cancellations will show up.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Ya boys at All Year I Dream About Gaming Conventions got a live podcast recording approved.

9 pm Saturday, in the land of no open container laws.

We expect a goonrush.

https://shows.acast.com/all-year-i-dream-about-gaming-conventions/episodes

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Only a few days to go until the event list comes out! Time to sound the clarion call for people to pay attention to Gen-Con if they are only seasonally interested!!!

And of course come join our GenConGoon Discord if you have not yet!

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Is there a way to search on GM in the event list?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Ulta posted:

Is there a way to search on GM in the event list?

You should be able to do it in your favorite spreadsheet program if you download the CSV. I don't think you can do it in the webapp they have for searching the catalog.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

You can search by organization, which is nice because there are certain organizations I follow/look for.

The exact "GM" field isn't natively searchable, and also might not even be useful. For example, every board game brought in via the double exposure envoy program and whichever organization is actually hosting/presenting has Vincent Salzillo listed as the GM.

Actually, looking now, gencon.eventdb.us lets you search by GM.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Last time I went to gen con I signed up for way too many events. I learned my lesson and this time I’m not signing up for any. Unfortunately my friends are making a spreadsheet to plan all the events they want to do as a group.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

One of my group really wants to do a mini-campaign over the course of the event instead of a bunch of one-shots. Looks like this one fits the bill pretty nicely, I'm just hoping the price scares off enough people that we can swoop in and grab 4 seats.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

LLSix posted:

Last time I went to gen con I signed up for way too many events. I learned my lesson and this time I’m not signing up for any. Unfortunately my friends are making a spreadsheet to plan all the events they want to do as a group.

This is the way.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Yeah, group events are fun. My group usually does a handful of things together (megagames, maybe an escape room or something, or one of the shows like the puppet slam) and then stuff separately or in smaller groups (like if my buddy gets into Gaslands, I might try to get an extra ticket, or two guys in our group might both play in a wargame together or something).

I'll sign up for a few things, but so far, I haven't found anything really jumping out at me. There aren't any games of Eclipse in the catalog yet, nor Sidereal Confluence. There's some JoCo, but they're marked as teaching/learning games. (I've only ever played twice, so if they don't fill up, I might go to one anyway, or maybe I'll just bring my copy and try to get a game together at some point.)

Right now, I just have some Call of Cthulhu on my wish list because it's neat and they always sell out, and I'm applying to be control in a megagame or two.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I've got 2 events I really really want to do and 1 that I would like to do but if it doesn't happen I'll live. Then there are several events that sound good but if I don't get in, eh. Even with this event strategy I still have like 3 events a day (except Sunday).

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

If you sign up for too many events, you don't have time to commit a capitalism

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Carteret posted:

If you sign up for too many events, you don't have time to commit a capitalism
This really is kind of my motivating factor, even if the Auction often results in me not actually buying things for hours at a time. I COULD be buying something, and since I spend most of the year hating things and wishing I did not own any, that there is any time of year I am excited about doing a capitalism is nice

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I plan on spending time at the auction this year but since I'm not involved in running it I may do a capitalism, as a treat.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

BlackIronHeart posted:

I plan on spending time at the auction this year but since I'm not involved in running it I may do a capitalism, as a treat.
Just tell me your bidder number once you get it and I can preemptively write it down on every item before it goes on stage, as a treat

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I'll be the guy sitting outside the con with a cardboard sign reading 'Dr. Quarex made me destitute'.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'll be the guy sitting outside the con with a cardboard sign reading 'Dr. Quarex made me destitute'.

You will have to be more specific

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

If anyone sees me near the Catalyst booth, remind me I have a 3d printer.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fellis posted:

You will have to be more specific
Another soul damned to the Quarex-specific underworld

Inaction Jackson
Feb 28, 2009
My wife and I are big fans of Becca Scott, so we will probably get tickets to watch her DM a Call of Cthulhu game. We also went to watch Blades in the Dark Live last year and it was fun, so we may do that again. We typically do the first exposure hall with our other two friends we go with, plus we might do giant Galaxy Trucker with them, too. That’s probably all of the events we’ll sign up for this year.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Map just dropped for the exhibit hall, and man is it wild to not even see FFG listed as a vendor (besides Asmodee).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
No Lorcana this year at all is a bit strange after them dominating the entire con last year. Obviously you can't launch the game two years in a row, but no tournaments or sealed stuff? Really?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
It's because pasttimes is running the lorcana events this year. They never get into the catalog until like July.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah it is kind of amazing, like, I have no doubt there will be people who decide not to attend due to the "lack" of Lorcana events who will never learn that Pastimes is just bad at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm honestly surprised that FFG is running Star Wars Unlimited stuff. Lots of events and a good mix of them too. I was half expecting it to be run by Pastimes or a similar thing where they don't announce the big tournament until July and people who don't know Gencon is a thing pitch a fit because everything sold out 4-5 months ago.