Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

I’m looking for Command Strips (these things, if you don’t know) that don’t adhere so permanent.

But OP, they’re not meant to be permanent, you might now be telling me, and perhaps it’s the case that I have particularly weak walls, but every time I’ve used a Command Strip, while it goes on fine and holds up reasonably well so long as you’re not hanging anything too heavy. But when it comes time to take it off, it invariably takes off the paint or wallpaper with it and often a chunk of the plaster, too.

Maybe there’s a solvent I could use to remove them more gently, but I’d need to know what that would do to the walls, too.

I’ve tried to find one searching online and that’s less than useless. If it’s not an ad for Command Strips telling me they were created by God himself and are perfect in every way, then it’s a blog or reddit post doing the bare minimum of disguising the fact that it’s an ad and doing the same thing.

So, so ask here, do Command Strips or any knock-of Command Strips exist that aren’t do damaging to delicate walls to remove?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

What you're looking for is either a nail or a sticky note.

Sticky note is so light it needs even less adhesion than wallpaper, which is already designed to pretty much just bear the weight of itself with the minimum viable glue. They do fall off frequently even so, but this is the price of something that definitely won't mark the underlying surface or grip it too much.

A nail makes a tiny hole through all that stuff to get a much stronger grip within the plaster or the underlying stud, without grabbing onto a huge chunk of the surface; unless you seriously gently caress up pulling it out the hole it leaves is negligible and can be entirely hidden with a bit of putty. Traditionally if even tiny nail holes in the wallpaper weren't acceptable the solution was to hang everything off a picture rail that is really permanently nailed in to the upper wall.

Command strips use pretty much the exact amount of glue necessary if you want to reliably hang a couple pounds off only the outer surface of poo poo that was never intended for that kind of treatment and won't reliably withstand it; they have a decent rep because every attempt at devising a 'weaker command strip' drops your unframed Boondocks Saints poster within a week and leaves a mark on the wall.

Landlords don't understand how any part of a house works, doing no work themselves yet subsisting off an endless supply of other peoples' work, and are thus prone to insane or idiotic proclamations that should be ignored

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 22, 2024

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Also when removing command strips you stretch the adhesive off parallel to the wall, so as long as the paint is well stuck, they come off just fine.
Are you strong arming them straight off the wall? or is your paint not really stuck?