Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I'm in. Arrhythmia summer blockbuster edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fungah! posted:

hell if you dont have any idea at all hit me up. i'ce got a shitloghd

poo poo log.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fucker posted:

Hell or High Water
good movie. its lacking something that makes it feel great or special, but idk wat
good writing, good acting, good directing
just a nice western to watch
3/5

You have to watch it a second time.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Wheels on Meals

I love this genre and curse God every day that they don't make it anymore. It's not as good as Police Story or Rumble in the Bronx, but better than Drunken Master. The best stunt was right at the start with the dude jumping two stories onto the street and landing straight on his rear end. My dissapointment that they didn't do anything cool with the bulldozer is immeasurable. Still watching Jackie Chan kick rear end and crack jokes will never, ever get old.

3/4

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

symbolic posted:

who do you think made the food

Yuen Biao. Pay attention!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fucker posted:

Wheels on Meals

heard a lame rear end english dub and restarted the movie w/ the original audio, only to realize that now the soundtrack was worse and the dubbing was still hella obvious. old other country movie dubbing ftl :rant:
humor didnt do much 4 me tbh. there were a couple of laughs but the movie misses way more often than it hits.
i liked the two main guys as characters and their dynamic. fat guy was ok. its a cool concept w/ their food truck in spain but it also just feels like a lot of ideas thrown at the wall w/o rhyme or reason.
really, the thing i liked ab this movie was the action, the things that stuck out 2 me are
-opening montage
-skateboard uber jackie
-jackie chan dropkicking a mf off a bike
-some parts of the big food truck chase like when drive they into the oranges
-the whole castle ending, infiltration and fights, especially the one jackie chan has w/ that weird looking dude
went to look back at the movie and theres so much frigging filler. but im not gonna poo poo on it 2 much cause the stunts were cool as hell and i know for a fact they didnt use cgi for them, so im satisfied
3/5

The drop kick was so loving sick. Lost my mind at that.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I love Daft Punk

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Lol wtf

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Leadthumb posted:

Well i watched interstella 5555, let's see what the other pick is. Hmmm, that's weird, it seems like there's no second pick rn. I guess fungah's been too busy. Oh well, I'll just check back in on the 30th :)

Pussy.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

symbolic posted:

glad the guy who's only watched Wheels on Meals in the past 4 months is here to tell it like it is

I'll watch the loving duck movie. I'm not a coward.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

symbolic posted:

Dirty Duck

if Forbidden Zone was made by perverts for insane people, Dirty Duck was made by insane people for perverts.

lmfao

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

Dirty Duck

When I was about 15 years old, I accidentally slammed my fingers in a car door in my parents' garage. My mom had already walked into the house before I even left the car, so nobody saw it happen. My entire hand was trapped in the car door, which was fully closed and locked, and three of my fingers were crushed under the frame. The pain was excruciating. I yelled of course, but because of the soundproofing in the walls, nobody heard me at first. Trying to pull my hand out was pointless and only hurt more, and I had no keys so I couldn't open the door. I started to realize that nobody was going to help me, at least not right away, and that I was probably going to be stuck there for a while. I stood there for what felt like forever, in overwhelming pain the entire time, shouting for help at intervals and probably sounding more and more desperate.

I remember wondering to myself at some point if maybe my nervous system would adapt to the pain after a few minutes, or if my hand might go numb or start to hurt less. But no, the entire time I was stuck, I was in constant agony, and at no point did it let up even a little. In fact as time went on and I got more and more frustrated, the pain intensified. By the time my mom finally heard my shouting and came to help, I felt like I was going to be trapped there forever. When I think back on this I realize that I don't really remember the initial injury or how much it hurt, I just remember how endless the experience felt. The pain was intense, but the exasperation of being confined somewhere with absolutely no way out was the thing that got to me, and that made the brief time I was stuck feel like hours. Dirty Duck (1974) has a runtime of 75 minutes.
0/5 vhs tapes

lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
My review of Dirty Duck: my grandfather fell out of a guard tower.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

rodbeard posted:

Did you watch this movie? You're either being way too charitable or stealing SMGs bit. Even if you're in to this kind of movie every joke in it was basically lifted straight from another cartoon seemingly without understanding the satirical nature of artists like Crumb or Bakshi use of racist imagery. I was fully prepared to defend this movie alongside you until I actually saw it.

He loves this kind of poo poo dude.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Dirty Duck

Mild-mannered insurance salesman Willard Eisenbaum is a sexually frustrated goober. Through a series of happenstance, he runs into Duck, who leads him on an bizarre adventure with a colourful cast of characters to try and find satisfaction for Willard. They return home without completing their quest, before realizing they have fallen in love with each other, ending the film on a note that I would call "surprisingly sweet".

Despite the, uh, controvertial reception here, a lot of the jokes worked for me. The black guy, the two gay men, and the hooker song were all low points, but Willard's bizarre masturbation scheme, the manic car salesman, and basically every time a gun was fired all got laughs out of me.

Honestly for a movie that was as crass as it was, I wasn't expecting a story about how people mistake a need for relationships with a need for sex.

3/4

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

rodbeard posted:

Dirty Duck - I never posted an actual review, so I'll give it a try now. I actually ended up watching it twice, trying to understand what anyone saw in it. Once last weekend, followed immediately by watching Fritz the Cat to have something to compare it to. I gave it another try yesterday after watching The Third Man.

This movie doesn't really have its own voice. The song at the beginning makes it seem like it's going to be a parody of pretentious art movies, but it doesn't ever really parody anything except for a few bad impressions scattered through the movie. There's a bunch of attempts at jokes in the first 10 minutes revolving around the film's working title "cheap" and then doesn't do anything else with it for the rest of the movie. I think they were literally making the movie up as they went along and decided to make a different movie when the producers made them change the name.

Art quality and style change rapidly from scene to scene. The movie tries to get away it by pointing out its cheapness in the opening song, but it isn't clever enough to do anything meta with it. The style changes just seem to be the artist not being able to decide who's style he wants to steal at any given time. Mostly lifting straight from R. Crumb, there's bits and pieces of Terry Gilliam, Ralph Bakshi.

The movie wants to be transgressive, but it has nothing to say and doesn't know what boundaries to cross. The jokes end up just being the same broad stereotypes and sex jokes everyone else was doing after everyone else had already done them.

The soundtrack was good though, and the plot didn't piss me off as much as Hell or High Water so I'll give it a 1.5/5

Dude why would you watch it twice lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
After careful consideration I've decided my movie will be an independent animated film.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

From the 70s?

2010's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Duel to the Death

Sick movie. Loses half a star because the dub was Neil Breen level.

3.5/4