Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1753938395548516624

Obama got 89% in SC in ‘12. Remember this next time you see a poll with xtabs showing trump winning a third of minority voters.

Glad to see Biden won a state he has a snowball's chance in hell of carrying in the general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Sure there's no mechanism right now but that doesn't mean we couldn't make one. If every count of forcing someone to work on election day was punishable by five years in prison and a $500,000 fine i'll bet you'd see it happen a lot less.

So are all the poll workers and media companies exempt or is election day coverage about to get a whole lot more awkward?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Can't wait for a presidential debate between two elderly men actively sundowning on stage and wondering why someone keeps burning toast.

PeterWeller posted:

Batman may break some of my bones, but he's not gonna shoot me like some loving cop would.

Arkham Batman then M. Bison's some poor mook from fifty stories up, jumps into reverse cowgirl, and crushes the dude's testicles. But at least he's not dead.

Professor Beetus posted:

There are obviously parallels to real world issues and there are attempts to address it but it's also very clearly a comic book universe in which there are just really bad people that need to be stopped by superheroes. It's an absurd reading of the comics to hold Bruce Wayne/Batman to the same moral calculus as if the comic book universe he resides in is exactly the same as our own. It's silly.

Superman watches as Doomsday rips open a bus full of nuns adopting orphaned puppies.

Supes: maybe he just wasn't hugged enough as a child

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

OTOH the current press/media are completely useless I hope they all lose their jobs

Vote for Trump and let your wildest dreams come true.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

People should read/watch The Dark Knight Returns comics/animated movies. That kind of weird, out-of-place, liberal pontificating is all over it. You get soundbites from talking heads about Batman breaking a dude's leg or Gordon killing a 17 year old kid in a convenient store when the gangs are using Robocop level weaponry against them. It's kind of funny.

I always remember the Justice League cartoon where Batman gets upset at Superman wanting to lobotmize Doomsday. Because no, you're supposed to arrest him. Find a prison that can hold him. Watch as he gets deemed not mentally competent to stand trial. What exactly is your counter-argument, Bruce?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Is it too early to call Biden-Trump the Sundown Showdown? Someone check if we can trademark that phrase tia.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Sephyr posted:

I'm extrapolating from Brazilian politics here, which I have had a closer look into from my time as a journo.

Both campaigning and being in office are grueling things. Traveling several times a week, eating takeout food on the go or greasy local treats in events (I saw the 2006 presidential challenger almost kill his campaign because he had a truck stop fried nightmare for a photo op and was half dead for 2 weeks). Giving the same speech 40 times, shaking hundreds of hands, going from one meeting to the other, etc.

The way a lot of them (nearly all in my anecdotal experience) manage that when they start tobage is drugs. Mild uppers when you have to be out for a while and can't be seen flagging, downers to wind down and sleep when out of the spotlight. Even younger pols were heavy into it by the time I stepped out.

Of course, people handle that chemical rollercoaster differently. Some take to it with little to no trouble. Others get 'gaps' in which they are caught being either mumbly-drunk or confused-hyped in public. Having a person in your entourage whose job is to manage your medical throttle and brake is a common thing. Of course, even those with the best constitution for it can start to slip with time and age.

It's speculation on my part, but I do see signs of that for both Trump and Biden. The long-ish absences and limited contact with real press, going off on tangents or blurting strings of nonsense, outburts, etc. It could be just old-cootism, or old coot being aggravated by chems.

People also forget that the biggest advantage that Biden had in 2020 was that COVID kept him off a physical campaign trail. He was able to stay at home while his handlers were able to pick and choose his spots and minimize the biggest weakness to the campaign, which was the candidate himself. Biden won't have that advantage this time around and is four years older, not to mention that the presidency ages a person in dog years.

I get that people don't want to be arzying for an entire year, but this head in the sand attitude people have adopted isn't doing any favors. The polling has been consistently in Trump's favor. The actual economy is divorced from the "stonk go up econ be good" metric that gets reported on and people aren't going to believe that things are going well when they can barely afford food and can't afford rent. The trials aren't going to matter given that Trump has eternally lived under "heads I win tails you lose" rules; if anything they'll end up helping him as they progress and now that the GOP base has decided that Jan 6th was a good thing he'll start openly campaigning on what should have been his biggest detriment.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

and only one man is hypersexualized in the category of Pools, Hot Tubs, & Beaches.

please don't doxx me

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

If the last dozen pages are of any indication, the strongest 2028 Dem candidate would be Taylor Swift.

Strongest in 2024 as well.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

zoux posted:

I think that if COVID had killed children at the same rate as it did old people, instead of not at all, we would've seen a massively different response here and world wide. The fact that most of the deaths were elderly - many elderly and invisible - people cared less. Fully a quarter of the Texas nursing home population died of COVID, that's an unimaginable holocaust if not for the fact that we put people in those places so we don't have to think about them while they are dying.

Sandy Hook and elementary school children led to absolutely nothing being done on the guns front other than a really good/infuriating Onion article being written. The country has already proven that the lives of children are not worth more than any others rights, real or percieved.

I think that it would have taken a major celebrity dying to get people to take COVID seriously. I remember that Tom Hanks got COVID early on and had Hanks or a person of his stature passed away it would have raised a lot of eyebrows and potentially gotten people who weren't inclinded to take COVID seriously to do so. But it's also possible that the anti-intellectual side had it's roots too far into the right for any deaths, in either stature or amount, to bring them to reason.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

IT BURNS posted:

USCE 2024: Soon, Illegal to Jerk Off in Alabama

If every sperm is sacred, every male orgasm should lead to the death penalty for thousands of deaths, even if there was a successful fertilization.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

Somehow that undersells the charges, he was trafficking Weapons-Grade Plutonium! :psyduck:

As opposed to what, food-grade plutonium?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Many of the reports say the incidents happened when Biden wasn't around, so probably not that.

Although, some of the reports are also pretty silly. One of them says an agent was concerned for their safety because "the dog ran up to him and emitted sustained barking shortly after he emerged from the door."

Yeah, dawg. Running and barking when you're outside and see a new person is a pretty normal dog thing.

Considering a cop's first instinct upon seeing a barking dog is to empty the clip into it, if anything we should be commending these SS agents upon their restraint in not giving into their base instincts.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

The cops drew guns on him while on fire lmao

skin was becoming black, making him an active threat to the officers

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

No. That is called aiding a fugitive in absconding from justice and is generally pretty frowned upon since it is a crime.

Generally requires the lawyer to flee themselves, as seen in the case of Goodman, Saul.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Ah so surely they’ll drop their prices during slow hours right

People: we literally can't afford fast food anymore. help me, my family is dying

Wendy's: five bucks a nug during rush hour

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Considering a big part of Mitch's legacy is that he let Trump off the hook with the Jan 6th impeachment, I've always wondered what it would look like had Mitch actually put his foot down and decided to have a firm backbone for once. For reference, the 7 Republicans who voted for impeachment:

Burr
Cassidy
Collins
Murkowski
Romney
Sasse
Toomey

There were 57 total votes for impeachment vs 43 no, 67 needed, so counting Mitch he'd need to find nine more. Since Mitch's primary concern was keeping the Senate (and thus his wild wet dreams of being Senate Majority Leader) intact, let's assume he let's anyone running in 2022 off the hook. That would include:

Boozman
Crapo
Grassley
Hoeven
Johnson
Kennedy
Lankford
Lee
Moran
Paul
Rubio
Thune
Tim Scott
Young

That's 14 of the 42 off-limits. There were four retiring Senators who's seats would be open in '22:

Blunt
Inhofe
Portman
Shelby

And then there's the crazies who weren't going to listen to reason no matter what:

Blackburn
Cruz
Hawley
Tubs

So 18 of the 42 are either off-limits or no-go's. That would have left 24 Senators, a number of whom either had just won an election or were four years away and/or in very safe seats, as possible candidates to switch:

Barrasso
Braun
Capito
Cornyn
Cotton
Cramer
Daines
Ernst
Fischer
Graham
Hyde-Smith
Lummis
Marshall
Risch
Rounds
Sullivan
Tillis
Wicker

Now some of those above could probably be moved into the crazies column, but a number of those who voted no could probably have been moved to vote yes had Mitch made it clear which way his personal winds were blowing. You think Lindsay Graham wouldn't jump ship off Team Trump if it looked like it was going down? People like Tom Cotton and Joni Ernst who's presidential ambitions were all but silenced as long as Trump demanded the throne? Mitch only needed nine of the above group plus any additional retiring Senators, forgive me for being ignorant but I think if he had drawn an actual line in the sand and been willing to deal with any actual consequences he would have been able to pull it off. It might have cost the GOP the Senate in 2022, which occured anyway hindsight being 20/20, but it would potentially have left them in a better position for '24, or at least it can't be worse then where it is now with Trump making it clear any and all fundraising money is going directly to him.

I imagine Mitch is retiring due to age, due to health, and due to the idea that if Trump does win and the GOP reclaim the Senate then either he has to go back to kissing the ring or Trump has him neutered and Mitch has to slither away in shame. Better to go out on your feet while you still can.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

I hope she has the thickest AL accent ever.

regional accents dying and everything homogenizing into newcaster style is lame

rolls up to the microphone after the SOTU, spends the whole time complaining that Saban retiring cost them their 'cruits and if anyone deserves an AQ to the new playoff it's the most glorious Crimson Tide, Pawwwwwwwwwwwwwwlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Biden is having the port built but only to bring more firearms to the genocide. Surprise motherfuckers.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Xand_Man posted:

gently caress Xitter but that headline is too good to be hidden

Government Is Not Covering Up Aliens, Aliens Say

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

The analysis concludes that as racial discrimination fades away and the populace loses their religious community ties, non-whites will naturally drift toward the GOP.

I don't think that's a complete analysis or a correct one, but you can't point to the analysis without acknowledging the argument it actually makes.

The argument makes sense in theory, but "as racial discrimination fades away" is carrying a lot of water in a bucket filled with holes.

For example, Muslim voters were considered a reliable conservative voting bloc due to their beliefs, and then something something happened and that changed. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/republicans-muslim-vote-george-w-bush-donald-trump/419481/

So, yes, if you somehow could eliminate the racial aspect you'd have far more minority conservative voters, but that would require a party heavily fueled by racial animosity to change their m.o. entirely.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

People are awful at realizing the impact government has in their lives. They’re also terrible judges of what the government spends money on. It’s one of the few reasons the Republican Party even survives. They exist for the kinds of people who hold up “Keep the government out of Medicare” signs.

When things "work as intended", people don't notice. They only notice when something that's supposed to work doesn't.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The tl;dr summary seems to be:

- Not a lot of data, need more to be 100% sure.
- Transwomen undergoing testosterone suppression or who had a female puberty/puberty blockers have no real major advantage over cis women 99% of the time.
- The exception seems to be running and swimming at "the elite level" and there seems to be about a 4.8 second improvement. But, once again, going off of a very limited data set.
- There's no real basis for separating out trans athletes at the "non-elite" level if their hormone levels meet guidelines.
- There might be some small argument about it at the elite level where those few extra seconds can make a difference, but data is limited.

And all of those tl;dr points come from a limited set of data.

So, maybe, at the very top level for running and swimming. Not really any impact for most other situations if they have been undergoing HRT for at least 5 months and/or had puberty blockers/female puberty.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9331831/

I'm not going to pretend to know a drat thing about this, but I wonder if any competitive advantage could be explained by height/size. With the average male being taller than the average female, could even going through some kind of puberty as a male before transitioning give enough size to have an advantage after the fact? Height is a benefit in the majority of sports so it would make sense if the taller athlete was in general the more successful they would be.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

To acquire the Number One House you must first defeat and acquire the Number Two House.

There can only be one Master (the house) and one Apprentice (the garage).

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Allow me to be the first to make the "juice the Apple" joke.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Jesus III posted:

Most of those European countries have incredibly generous health, mental health, rape and incest exceptions.

Speaking of incest, there is a whole lot more of it in the US than thought.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2024/03/dna-tests-incest/677791/

1 in 7000 people in the US is a child of mom-son, dad-daughter or brother-sister incest. That's living people. Maybe if we cut down on the family loving we could cut down on the incest?

Trying to make SEC country go extinct?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Yes, but most of the MTG-like crazies are already on record saying they don't want to oust Johnson.

MTG only needs to flip a couple of people to oust Johnson, but it doesn't really seem like anyone's actually onboard. The crazy Freedom Caucus types are still okay with Johnson, and have already told reporters that as mad as they are about this spending bill, they're not going to boot him over it. And none of the other Republicans see anything to gain from another Speaker fight right now.

Even MTG herself is apparently hinting to reporters that she doesn't really plan to go through with it:
https://twitter.com/natalieandrews/status/1771208017960124813

MTG: I shot him in the leg as a warning shot that I'll really shoot him next time!

Anyway, Johnson is a ghoul but he's shown that he'll compromise, hence why the Freedom Caucus nutjobs are mad at him. The Dems probably don't gain anything by going along with MTG's cry for attention, even if they did boot Johnson who knows what they'll get from whoever emerges from that clusterfuck, if anyone does emerge. I could very much see a scenario where the GOP can't decide on a Speaker and thus nothing gets done until the election, which helps Trump.

Now, the guy who resigned before this guy said Johnson had to watch out for the resignations coming after him, so lol, lmao even, if enough GOP reps do resign and the House does flip. I wouldn't want to be the one who caused the tipping point unless I wasn't just 100% done with politics but moving far, far away, though.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Bodyholes posted:

Dems win statewide races in NC routinely. There is a percentage of libertarian/business oriented conservatives that will vote for moderate dem governors and council of state offices to protect their economic interests. If things got too "jesusland" it would hurt their investments. However they will never vote to give dems federal power through the presidency or the senate.

This is why you see NC having D governors and voting for R presidents since forever.

The first time Tillis got elected, the Dems had a blank slate guy running who had a decent shot. Then a couple of months before the election his affairs came to light and he got trounced. Someone correctly said that all he had to do to win was do nothing and he couldn't do that right.

Dems, almost universally, are a waste.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
endless debate on whether the comedy twitter account has the correct political opinions on matters

debate eclipses the "is wario a libertarian" debate before being closed by a mod

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

Keeping people in a frightened state causes stupid things like this.

https://twitter.com/MalloryMcMorrow/status/1773324424504111303

Commissioner Sankey, I get that you want more P5 teams in the NCAA Tournament, but this is taking it a step too far.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DynamicSloth posted:

That's impressive, so is the pilot going from the lights going out to figuring they have to make the call to close the bridge in 31 seconds, especially if they had no reason to think everything wasn't normal just beforehand.

From what it seems, from the initial mayday call everything went as well as it could have. There's the obvious exception of the workers on the bridge but given the timeframe I don't think there's any way they could have been saved, even if they had also been able to receive the mayday call and immediately leave.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Killer robot posted:

There's some prior examples of using air to move commercial ships, but in harbor a tug is generally more practical than a blow.

More cost-efficient as well.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It’s technically allowed as it is directly USCE related so I’ll explain.

A month ago Biden announced that a temporary pier was going to be established in Gaza to facilitate food aid. A pier like this and the two multipurpose vessels has sufficient logistical capacity to feed everyone in Gaza adequately. This type of pier is called Joint Logistics Over the Shore, JLOTS. The time line on this pier deployment was announced to be sixty days. At the time I argued that this announcement meant the Israelis intended to starve every single person in Gaza. Which I think they’ve proven.

Well we are about half way through the 60 days. The images I posted are the current positions and vessel tracks of a few of the vessels being deployed to make and then service the pier. These vessels are visible on AIS Automatic identification system which are used by VTS vessel traffic services. A transponder on the ships sends a signal to satellites that tells everybody who the ship is and exactly where it is. They can be turned off. They aren’t being turned off on the relevant vessels, everybody in the world can watch them.

Everything above this is fact. Below is opinion and analysis

Current vessel positions are inline with having the JLOTS built and running in another month. Isreal has recently killed several World Central Kitchen folks, my opinion is that they did so intentionally to signal their willingness to do so. The JLOTS pier will allow orders of magnitude more food in basically continuously than a single 200 metric ton barge.

In about 30 days this all happens. The Palestinians start getting adequate food ( though some operational start up jank is likely) then or Israel does something to stop it by force. The poo poo hits the fan in about a month.

So when Israel trips and falls and accidentally destroys the port, the US response is?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Byzantine posted:

Iirc, the tipping point where Millennials/GenZ outnumbered Boomers finally happened in 2022. So it might be part of how the on-the-ground election victories are still happening even though the olds are answering all the polls with piglike squeals.

The issue is that even as Boomers are aging out, young white males are increasingly voting right https://www.thedailybeast.com/democrats-really-need-to-win-back-young-white-male-voters-from-the-gop

That's not to mention that POC, particuarly men, are also increasingly voting Republican https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/10/03/people-of-color-voting-republican-2024/

What it boils down to is that those who have had econonmic, social, and political power don't like the idea that they could be forced to share any of it. Tell a young white male that they're not better than a LGBTQ POC, or if anything they're not as good, and they're going to vote with the party that says they've always been better. We can't begin to discuss equality because the second the scales start to tip the majority panics and tried to pound the minority into submission. If/when Trump wins he might as well grant amnesty to Andrew Tate and make Tate part of his cabinet; Tate will have done as much to earn Trump the Presidency as anyone else.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Piell posted:

They are other flavors of bigot too, but yeah. A large majority of Trump supporters primarily care about hating their enemies, which is anyone who is not exactly like them

Exactly. One of the things about these small, isolated communities is their inate distrust of anyone who isn't one of them. Race, creed, beliefs, orientation, etc..., if it isn't in ideological lockstep it's inherently distrusted. Which party better reflects what this base currently looks like and is going to look like going forward? Two guesses and the first doesn't count.

The ironic part is that Trump is someone who should fail that test with flying colors. Yet because he acts as an avatar of grievance he becomes someone they can live vicariously through; he's as nakedly ignorant, vulgar, and bigoted as they are. Add in that the Republican base has been conditoned to treat their leaders like a god and Trump becomes what they've wanted since Reagan. If Ronnie had been able to run a third time, both electorally and mentally, it would have been him again. Bush Sr. didn't have the charisma, Bush Jr. didn't have the wherewithal, McCain was too high class and missed his window though they did like his running mate, and Romney was too smooth and polished plus they'd never get past the whole Mormon bit. Trump welcomes the worship and give them explicit permission to give into their base instincts, which overrides everything else.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Cimber posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dobbs is the legal version of the dog chasing cars who actually catches one. They don't know what to do with it.

They didn't want to actually BAN abortion, they just wanted to RUN against abortion and use that issue to get people to the polls to keep electing republicans.

They want it both ways. They want a full abortion ban, no exceptions, because keeping women subservient to men is part of their fundamental beliefs. However, they also want to run on abortion because it proved to be a vote-driver since Roe was enabled. It's easier to run on "vote for us and we'll do X" then "vote for us and we'll keep X the way it is".

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Nucleic Acids posted:

I still think it was wrong for the Los Angeles Police Department to put so much time and effort into framing a clearly guilty man.

I can't believe the real killer finally got around to taking care of OJ as well.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

lol yes I’m sure Hamas does a lot of US recruiting

dear hamas for 100k/full remote/6 week pto/benefits i will do (lazy) admin work for you please check out my linkedin at

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Star Man posted:

Clarence Thomas will live long enough for a Republican majority to return to the Senate before he resigns or dies.

And if he doesn't, his wife will Weekend at Bernie's him until so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

He thinks that pretty much every remotely elite university is involved in this national crypto conspiracy of his, which he believes is run by organized crime. He feels that most suicides and murders at NYU were either staged or caused by the government.

He even posted an explanation of how he thinks it works, which I'm just going to repost here without any comment on the contents:

At what point does he cap it off with "The Aristocrats!"?