Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

White Light posted:

Needs to be the thread title

Now we're a real thread

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Fereydun posted:

specifically, this man:

i kinda hope ONE is a secret Mad Max fan and all the major villains in that universe are references. Toecutter, Wez, Bubba Zanetti, Johnny the Boy, Iron Bar, Aunty Entity, Immortan Joe, the Bullet Farmer, Mudguts, The Organic Mechanic... these names...

Mad Max is basically Australian manga

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Devils Affricate posted:

They never said the other predators weren't dangerous, just that the aliens were significantly more dangerous in comparison. Which has proven to be true, at least so far.

Also a single alien destroyed their entire army. Most of the other enemies can be fought against in some capacity, even if they obviously can't win. Like a bunch of humans in the giant world could probably take down a single giant. In the magic world, humans can defeat any demon below the generals. Same probably goes for the neohumans or machines. But a single alien was completely untouchable for those humans, despite them seemingly having the fanciest tech themselves.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Not to mention how the robots have completely evolved/adapted past any light to heavy weapon's fire to be able to destroy them.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I mean, the fancy human orbital satellites only kind of grazed one of the giants. It seems that, of the predators we've seen so far, facing them would be an uphill/losing battle for any subset of humanity. I wouldn't be surprised if the greater demon kings could effecively body a Madaran or two. The Giants probably have special boss giants. I'm mostly interested in the predators that don't seem to have a brute force solution, like the game world, or God.

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 10, 2024

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

skaianDestiny posted:

That's all the humans they were able to find and rescue. Remember that blobfish demon general had an entire group of humans he uses as board game pieces; I'm fairly certain there's pockets of humans out around various areas/natural enemy bases. Even the giants used humans as slave labor.

I didnt think about it until now but giants using comparatively tiny humans as slaves makes absolutely no sense

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

I didnt think about it until now but giants using comparatively tiny humans as slaves makes absolutely no sense

It's probably less of a labor thing and more of a "being a dick" thing

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Desumaytah posted:

I mean, the fancy human orbital satellites only kind of grazed one of the giants. It seems that, of the predators we've seen so far, facing them would be an uphill/losing battle for any subset of humanity. I wouldn't be surprised if the greater demon kings could effecively body a Madaran or two. The Giants probably have special boss giants. I'm mostly interested in the predators that don't seem to have a brute force solution, like the game world, or God.

Hallow said that he got the same sort of dread/energy from one Madaran as Jachi, so a Madaran is on the same level as one of the demon generals or whatever they're called. The Madarans also have weaker mooks too, given the demon lieutenants each killed one of the saucer drones easily.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Also a single alien destroyed their entire army. Most of the other enemies can be fought against in some capacity, even if they obviously can't win. Like a bunch of humans in the giant world could probably take down a single giant. In the magic world, humans can defeat any demon below the generals. Same probably goes for the neohumans or machines. But a single alien was completely untouchable for those humans, despite them seemingly having the fanciest tech themselves.

And also their generals even when fully roided up. Then again Hallow was able to go toe to toe with the bat dude for a while.

Desumaytah posted:

Same. I have no idea what game world is going to do, kidnap everyone into cyberspace? Release Pac-Man ghosts?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

And also their generals even when fully roided up. Then again Hallow was able to go toe to toe with the bat dude for a while.

Same. I have no idea what game world is going to do, kidnap everyone into cyberspace? Release Pac-Man ghosts?

I mean, there's not really any requirement that all the "natural enemies" be equally threatening. Like I'm pretty sure the Madarans are more threatening than, say, the Giants.

I think the poster who mentioned the Game World stuff potentially "defeating" the otherwise untouchable Madarans may have been onto something. I could also see that "faction" countering the Neo-humans.

Speaking of the neohumans, I think we're inclined to view them as comparable to the giants, but I think they might actually end up being a pretty high-tier threat due to their intelligence/savvy. I really want to see them interact with something like the Madarans or machines.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I think the poster who mentioned the Game World stuff potentially "defeating" the otherwise untouchable Madarans may have been onto something. I could also see that "faction" countering the Neo-humans.

Speaking of the neohumans, I think we're inclined to view them as comparable to the giants, but I think they might actually end up being a pretty high-tier threat due to their intelligence/savvy. I really want to see them interact with something like the Madarans or machines.

I think Neo humanity's counter might be the parasites. Considering it shows up at the end of the chapter and attacks them and we aren't shown what happens afterwards. It would kind of be a waste of the parasite's debut if that all amounted to nothing but I guess we'll find out eventually.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I wonder if we will end up with something like a tournament bracket leading up to some kind of climatic bad guy vs bad guy?

Seems like there might be some kind of hinting at some bad guys teaming up with humans?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Maybe kenshiro will show up in post apoc world to save everyone

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's also been like utterly no consideration for the possibility of two or more of their enemies joining forces or amalgamating through weird power interactions. That should be fun.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

New Humans and the mad max humans team up and defeat every other monster type.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I really like this manga's premise and the execution is now matching it now that we're just watching two far more dangerous enemies clashing against each other so:

Stable threats: Neo Humanity, Giants, Demons, Aliens, Wilderness

Flexible threats: Parasites, Robots

I think the worst possible thing that could happen is robots encountering the aliens. Because they just keep assimilating new information and upgrading themselves to overcome it. They already figured out magic in one battle, making them immune to the aliens' strength and lasers would make them nigh unstoppable.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

their small frames and little fingers make them great at working on the looms

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Meme Emulator posted:

Not if you are violent and lazy enough.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JuniperCake posted:

I think Neo humanity's counter might be the parasites. Considering it shows up at the end of the chapter and attacks them and we aren't shown what happens afterwards. It would kind of be a waste of the parasite's debut if that all amounted to nothing but I guess we'll find out eventually.

Narratively I'd assume the same, but logically you'd think that the most big-brained humanoid faction would be the most capable of addressing the parasite problem. Like they'd be the most likely to quickly identify who's infected and impassionately deal with the situation by killing off whoever is infected.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Narratively I'd assume the same, but logically you'd think that the most big-brained humanoid faction would be the most capable of addressing the parasite problem. Like they'd be the most likely to quickly identify who's infected and impassionately deal with the situation by killing off whoever is infected.

But that's the thing I think about them. Neo humans don't really seem to care about each other, not as individuals. At least not going by how they reacted to some of their number being killed, etc. They're described as dolls and personality wise they almost seem interchangeable. They were able to detect the fake humans because of their scent but a parasite using a neo-human's body as a host probably can hide much better. If there's no easy way for them to determine it using their usual methods, can they even tell if someone has been infected? Would they even care outside of just having another "fun" thing to play with and not take seriously? And it's as you say, if they do find one they'll probably try to kill it with their knives, super human speed/strength,etc etc but we don't know how that would actually work against the parasites.

And what happens if a sizable number of them get infected? It doesn't seem likely they'll try to save them or protect the others. They'll just try to kill them and might just keeping fighting and getting infected until they just run out of people. Their detachment could easily be a weakness that could get exploited by something like that.

Though for all we know there's like a factory or something churning an endless supply of these people out somewhere. Or maybe there's a super neo human leader who can handle it or whatever so you can't rule anything out of course. Makes things really hard to speculate when there's so much we don't know about the threats. But I think we can't really underestimate what any of the threats might be capable of. Especially the ones we haven't seen much of yet.

Like I'm not saying that the parasites for sure will beat them, but I definitely do think its possible for them to win.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Parasites pull a The Thing on Neo-Humanity leading to a giant paranoid murderfest... then at some point the Neo-Humans just go,"Okay that was fun for awhile :shrug:" and immediately generate anti-bodies that kill the parasite.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

The final chapters of this manga are just going to be the heroes trying to stall for time while invoking their villains in a very specific elemental-style sequence like it's the last boss of Chrono Cross.

My definitely wrong rough guess on the order:

Neo Humans > Demons (Suffering and vice have been embraced and accounted for with hive-mind math)

Demons > God (They've been planning to kill God for revenge the whole time)

God > Curse (In the beginning, God created stuff from useless rot)

Curse > Tree (gently caress your stupid tree. May it wither from a viroid or something)

Tree > Wildlife (A tree with roots that eat the world from the inside-out will just kinda starve the critters to death like in that one Dragonball Z movie)

Wildlife > Robots (Nature isn't trying to checkmate anything, it just sort of adapts on its own, with no real goal in mind)

Robots > Parasite (Eat my gently caress, organic pathogen)

Parasite > Regular Humans (Oh no it ate the humans' gently caress)

Regular Humans > Game World (One need only look at a Let's Play thread to see how far our depraved, supposedly normal asses will go for content)

Game World > Aliens (You build a civilization on intergalactic conquest but suddenly there's capitalism and you starve to death buying loot-crates from TF2 because that one Medic hat with the spike on top is dope and you bet it'd look cool painted white)

Aliens > Calamaties (Literally just nuke them from orbit)

Calamaties > Giants (Biggest boys vs Only kind of big boys)

Giants > Neo Humanity (These weird shiny humans can clean our houses even better! Who cares if they kill a few of us? I'm a libertarian)

Everything else is a weird stalemate or maybe the threats end up Voltron-merging or something.

...I should play Chrono Cross again.

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 12, 2024

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I like how of all the unknown enemies the mad max guys are the most mysterious and unpredictable.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I really have a hard time imagining the lawless humans being a dangerous conventional threat.

I've always assumed we would eventually discover that the respective human societies brought their natural enemies on themselves through their hubris or weakness of spirit, or whatever.

And lawless humans just represent how we tend to turn against each other when there are no external threats to focus on.

But I trust in ONE to surprise me with something I couldn't have predicted.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well the people from the Lawless World never tried to argue their threat was the biggest.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

JuniperCake posted:

But that's the thing I think about them. Neo humans don't really seem to care about each other, not as individuals. At least not going by how they reacted to some of their number being killed, etc. They're described as dolls and personality wise they almost seem interchangeable. They were able to detect the fake humans because of their scent but a parasite using a neo-human's body as a host probably can hide much better. If there's no easy way for them to determine it using their usual methods, can they even tell if someone has been infected? Would they even care outside of just having another "fun" thing to play with and not take seriously? And it's as you say, if they do find one they'll probably try to kill it with their knives, super human speed/strength,etc etc but we don't know how that would actually work against the parasites.

And what happens if a sizable number of them get infected? It doesn't seem likely they'll try to save them or protect the others. They'll just try to kill them and might just keeping fighting and getting infected until they just run out of people. Their detachment could easily be a weakness that could get exploited by something like that.

Though for all we know there's like a factory or something churning an endless supply of these people out somewhere. Or maybe there's a super neo human leader who can handle it or whatever so you can't rule anything out of course. Makes things really hard to speculate when there's so much we don't know about the threats. But I think we can't really underestimate what any of the threats might be capable of. Especially the ones we haven't seen much of yet.

Like I'm not saying that the parasites for sure will beat them, but I definitely do think its possible for them to win.

I know they said smell, but I think the fact that the woman magician yelled at the kid to look out when the giant was about to attack him was what blew her disguise. From what we've seen, NH views compassion and other similar emotions to be unnecessary and anyone showing a hint of emotion is a major red flag.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
If there is going to be any element of the Natural Enemies joining forces to either crush the humans’ plans, or to simply survive one of the stronger predators, I could see Neo Humanity being the one to broker such an arrangement. They represent all the strengths of the human race being entirely dedicated to cruelty, and this would fit well and be a unique aspect of their particular threat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I so can't wait to see Neo Humanity swarm over and dissemble a bunch of robots and leave their rims sitting on a some cinderblocks.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
We saw something interesting this chapter which was humans teaming up with a natural enemy to make them borderline invincible. Would be interested to see whether certain human groups make good allies with certain natural enemies.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

I know they said smell, but I think the fact that the woman magician yelled at the kid to look out when the giant was about to attack him was what blew her disguise. From what we've seen, NH views compassion and other similar emotions to be unnecessary and anyone showing a hint of emotion is a major red flag.

The smell thing was just a bluff. The real reason they were found out was because they didn't shave their eyebrows. Neo-Cruelty World's humans really dropped the ball on leaving that detail out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm wondering if (chapter 12) Jachi himself might show up. The demons seem doomed to lose in the end, since even if they're kept from dying, they simply don't have the power to hurt the alien. Like sure, they were revived, but they already did a combo attack that didn't even phase the alien. Though I guess that, if the plan works, the humans will be gone before then.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Not sure exactly what is going on with the links, but Chapter 13 has been translated, and the chapter is up on a google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XvegvyKOpWAuev9j-zlO5MmLvdWlaaaI

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh things will turn out just fine. :v

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

they're saved :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Least the Alien's cockiness got spoiled.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Kaiju time let's loving goooooo.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
This comic loving rules lmao

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Wasteland church lookin' pretty good right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The fireworks factory was eaten by a larger fireworks factory