Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I have been really drawn to this series for the existential horror that ONE is surprisingly good at writing. Even the very first chapter with all the 47 heroes being killed off screen one by one, and the Demon Kings being orders of magnitude stronger than everything else in the demon army was great.

Then the reveal of all the other worlds' enemies sold it. Really eager to see a lot more of the AI, World Tree, Neo Humanity, and the gaming world.

Now that the series is past the 5 straight chapters of meetings it's really getting good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Bisse posted:

Man I sure loving hated the first like 6 chapters due to all the talking and one-note characters and bounced off hard, but now that it seems like it got to the fireworks factory things look good again?

The action kicks off with them attempting to implement a specific plan to pit Natural Enemies against one another. It’s been pretty much non-stop since then, so I would say it’s worth a second look.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I really have a hard time imagining the lawless humans being a dangerous conventional threat.

I've always assumed we would eventually discover that the respective human societies brought their natural enemies on themselves through their hubris or weakness of spirit, or whatever.

And lawless humans just represent how we tend to turn against each other when there are no external threats to focus on.

But I trust in ONE to surprise me with something I couldn't have predicted.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
If there is going to be any element of the Natural Enemies joining forces to either crush the humans’ plans, or to simply survive one of the stronger predators, I could see Neo Humanity being the one to broker such an arrangement. They represent all the strengths of the human race being entirely dedicated to cruelty, and this would fit well and be a unique aspect of their particular threat.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Not sure exactly what is going on with the links, but Chapter 13 has been translated, and the chapter is up on a google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XvegvyKOpWAuev9j-zlO5MmLvdWlaaaI

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

Is there a way to actually see these images at normal resolution without downloading them

Not that I am aware of. As I mentioned, there was something weird with the translation this time. I think the chapter may have been leaked early or something.

At any rate, I expect it to be available in all the usual places very soon.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I wonder if this entire scene may get resolved by a prayer to the Mad God? There were a couple panels over the last few chapters that seemed like it might be setting that up.

Could be interesting if the Mad God's schtick is to answer prayers for some price like human sacrifice or something

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Personally, I like the idea that Lawless Humans will be the ones to take down God

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also learned that the aliens arent flesh and blood but something like pure information? Wonder what you could exploit with that.

Yeah, this line stuck with me as well. Like, maybe they are holographic projections, or something? At the very least, it could suggest their “real” forms are something even more mind-bending.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

It seemed like they were mostly just offended by it and viewed it as a threat, rather than being concerned about the well-being of their allies. Whereas with the demons there seems to be a sense of actual loyalty.

I kind of hope I'm wrong, though, since it'd be interesting to get some more depth out of the sapient enemy species.

It seems very in line with ONE’s writing to have individual members of the Natural Enemy factions gain empathy and join the humans. I could see potential for this in the demons (Kiva), aliens (they seem to have varied personalities, and simply regard everything else as bugs), AI Robots (perhaps a rogue drone), possibly others… ONE seems to love dogs, so maybe they get an untamed wildlife animal as a pet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I’m just going to go ahead and predict that the curse world humanity somehow brought the curse on themselves due to their terrifying soul-capture technology