Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Devils Affricate posted:

They never said the other predators weren't dangerous, just that the aliens were significantly more dangerous in comparison. Which has proven to be true, at least so far.

It's a little bit more than that imo. They definitely have an air of "Our threat is so much bigger and scarier than all of yours, you just don't understand etc etc" with how they talk about it. Which is kinda endearing in a way.

Though I'm just waiting for the god guy to come and start erasing them from existence or for them to get wrecked by the threat from the game world or something.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I think the poster who mentioned the Game World stuff potentially "defeating" the otherwise untouchable Madarans may have been onto something. I could also see that "faction" countering the Neo-humans.

Speaking of the neohumans, I think we're inclined to view them as comparable to the giants, but I think they might actually end up being a pretty high-tier threat due to their intelligence/savvy. I really want to see them interact with something like the Madarans or machines.

I think Neo humanity's counter might be the parasites. Considering it shows up at the end of the chapter and attacks them and we aren't shown what happens afterwards. It would kind of be a waste of the parasite's debut if that all amounted to nothing but I guess we'll find out eventually.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Narratively I'd assume the same, but logically you'd think that the most big-brained humanoid faction would be the most capable of addressing the parasite problem. Like they'd be the most likely to quickly identify who's infected and impassionately deal with the situation by killing off whoever is infected.

But that's the thing I think about them. Neo humans don't really seem to care about each other, not as individuals. At least not going by how they reacted to some of their number being killed, etc. They're described as dolls and personality wise they almost seem interchangeable. They were able to detect the fake humans because of their scent but a parasite using a neo-human's body as a host probably can hide much better. If there's no easy way for them to determine it using their usual methods, can they even tell if someone has been infected? Would they even care outside of just having another "fun" thing to play with and not take seriously? And it's as you say, if they do find one they'll probably try to kill it with their knives, super human speed/strength,etc etc but we don't know how that would actually work against the parasites.

And what happens if a sizable number of them get infected? It doesn't seem likely they'll try to save them or protect the others. They'll just try to kill them and might just keeping fighting and getting infected until they just run out of people. Their detachment could easily be a weakness that could get exploited by something like that.

Though for all we know there's like a factory or something churning an endless supply of these people out somewhere. Or maybe there's a super neo human leader who can handle it or whatever so you can't rule anything out of course. Makes things really hard to speculate when there's so much we don't know about the threats. But I think we can't really underestimate what any of the threats might be capable of. Especially the ones we haven't seen much of yet.

Like I'm not saying that the parasites for sure will beat them, but I definitely do think its possible for them to win.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

I wonder if we'll end up with a circular arrangement of baddies vulnerable to other baddies or if it just keeps escalating in power til everyones hosed.

It'll take the power of every single bad in existence working together with the humans to even vaguely challenge the final threat. Saitama with a mustache