Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Many registered democrats ITT

mods????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Stewart couldn't be a worse president than Zelensky, or Biden for that matter.

i do feel bad for zelensky, tbh

for about nine months there, fairytales were real again and he was the starring character. anyone in his position would have absolutely fallen victim to their own hype. for one bright, shining moment, he was the Protagonist of Reality

and now this. lol

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Saraiguma posted:

it'll get worse in this song

there are a lot of songs about a girl falling for a guy immediately on seeing him, but they are rarely written by the guy, about his self-insert version of a historical character
in some fairness your reaction to the song is supposed to be fear on the woman's behalf, because this is going to go very badly for her, but still. this song's about as masturbatory as you can get without putting hand to genetalia

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

bedpan posted:

I don't think he is even in the bottom 50%

jan 6th is at least a big enough sign of political dysfunction to get him into the bottom 50%

but between the slaveowners, Reagan, and Dubya the absolute lowest spot that you can start discussing is 15, and there's a real murderers row fighting for that spot

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah I mean I don't know what trump would have done differently than say President Marco Rubio except tweet mean poo poo. I doubt Rubio would have signed off on all of the covid poo poo. Does anyone really think Rubio would have sent out big beautiful checks?

north korea diplomacy would have been measurably worse under a Rubio, very real chance that Iran diplomacy would have been better, Syria's an enormous question mark but my personal guess would be that he would have quietly hoped it became someone else's problem, saudi policy would have been completely unchanged, a sightly less stupid version of the Kushner Doctrine might have been put in place for Israel

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Nichael posted:

wow that took a weird turn

well, I'm onboard

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
remember back when someone saying lol in public marked them as far-too-online weirdo

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Nichael posted:

I think Biden dying at the right time to garner sympathy, but not expose the public too much to Harris.

so, about two weeks before voting starts, then

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
seeing trump falling asleep in the courtroom is such a wonderful reminder of the state of the world these days

behold, two men having a dodder-off

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

You know that you won't be forced to watch it at gunpoint, right?

(lol at debates being lib-coded; lib-coded is acting as if you'd be held against your will to watch it & having to come up with bogus reasons that debating is bad.)

eta: Is this something you've believed & said for prior debates, including 2020? I'm guessing it's a newly developed excuse but if you can pull up an older post of yours that proves me wrong I'll take the L.

afraid he's got you on this one willa

there is literally nothing more lib-coded than pretending that a debate does something. this is the entire appeal of the West Wing to these people: imagining a world where actually if you drop enough epic owns on the republicans they will stop opposing you

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
now, would I like to see Joe Biden try to debate Donald Trump again, absolutely, it would be a hack metaphor made reality in a way i'd find aesthetically pleasing. two pudding-brained old men rambling at one another about why they're slightly more vital than the other senile corpse and that's why you have to vote for them, what's not to love

but the pretense that Logic, Reason, and Debate are the foundational principles of democracy is the most liberal it is possible to be

the whole discussion is rendered more pointless than usual by the Trump people having established they aren't going to do any debates quite some time ago

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

^^^ those weren't my reasons & trump has changed his mind bc of biden's declining lucidity.

trump is already baiting biden about debating, even saying he'll start doing them now, and even tho he originally had an issue with the debate commission's rules.

remember that time Elizabeth Warren took Trump promising he'd pay out if she did something for him seriously

good times were had by all

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

WampaLord posted:

what's funny is despite dropping tons of epic owns, the West Wing dems never did stop getting opposed by Republicans, in fact the opposition was so effective they basically didn't do anything!

A liberal fantasy indeed

but they got to drop a bunch of epic owns on them to an appreciative audience, and isn't that what REALLY matters

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

Biden should debate trump because it would be a confusing, unpleasant experience for him and the drugs they shoot him up with might shorten his rotten life

through a wacky mix-up they are each given the other's chemical stack before debate, leading to a Biden whose flesh is visibly falling off the bone attempting to debate a Trump whose eyeballs have both exploded

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Slate has not been sending their best for a long time. Hell, this is from just two months ago...

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2024/02/biden-age-controversy-vs-trump.html

"it doesn't matter who you vote for, so vote for our guy"

not sure I follow the police work there

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the maduro government has failed to respect bodies and spaces

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

The Sean posted:

So Biden clearly can't do debates at this point. But is he even campaigning to open audiences? This time in the cycle for 2020 he was challenging people at these events to push up contests like every other day.

I guess they actually (pretended) to have a primary last time.

can't do open audiences because there's too many Palestine protesters and chanting 'four more years' at people saying 'stop the genocide' looks unfathomably bad to squishy liberals

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SixteenShells posted:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/fire-trump-trial-1235007624/

so like. what was on those papers? article doesn't say. it is a complete mystery how and why this happened. the strangle glyphs on these papers tells us nothing worth reporting

couple of people tracked it down. linked to his substack which was primarily about bitcoin and accusing various universities of being scams

noone wants to proclaim this guy a martyr for their cause

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I didn't realize this play was quite this excessive with its praise of Alexander Hamilton

It's not enough that he's a heroic politician - all the women also want to gently caress him.

not entirely ahistorical, but definitely putting a gloss on the reality. Hamilton was an infamously indiscriminate ladies man. Martha Washington named a feral tomcat after him not as a cute mark of affection, but more as a 'Jesus Christ could you stop trying to gently caress everything that moves.'

the play later on has, as Hamilton's downfall, the one time he cheats on his wife and gets caught. reality quietly adds: by someone in enough of a position of power to blackmail him into silence for the crime of loving his wife.

at one point during the Adams administration, there is a rumor prostitutes were called to the white house. John Adams takes the opportunity to drop a wisecrack. "This House employs Alexander Hamilton. I can safely assume any unattended young lady did not remain so for long."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

loquacius posted:

The best detail imo is still that he made Hamilton an abolitionist ahistorically because it would have been too weird to not have him be one

not a COMPLETE lie but mostly one. he did give some money to abolitionist groups. in almost exactly the same way Hitler gave money to Zionist groups: "this is a socially acceptable way to gently caress with my rivals, if you think it's because I like these people I've got a bridge to sell you."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

the entire second act is a slog through his romantic life cause you gotta wait 30 years for him to get shot.

they also skip the entire saga of how he sabotaged his political career under Adams, because it is impossible to tell the story of the Quasi-War without establishing Hamilton is 1. a bad person 2. a total loving moron

"nailed George Washington's half dead corpse to a horse to try to raise an army to declare war on France and invade Louisiana independent of presidential authorization" just doesn't really fit with the ~vibe~ of Musical Hamilton

Burr/Hamilton is a beautiful duel because it is two men who had their shot at the big-time, absolutely pissed it all away due to a mix of their personal flaws and inability to judge the moment, making one, last, pissy attempt to get one over on the other. quintessential americana.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
if you want an actual "awww" moment in american liberal history, the saga of Adams and Jefferson's friendship, then emnity, then in their twilight years friendship again, is quite good

complete with Adams occasionally writing to Jefferson "you know we fought like hell over xyz thing, do you honestly still believe any of what you wrote, because I still think you're wrong" and Jefferson, the significantly better diplomat, responding "look man at this point we are two old men yelling about what we wish would have happened. it doesn't really matter. have you seen the efforts they've made at writing history about us already? nighmares."

there is a line that particularly seems designed to make any historian reading it immediately get a half-chub, where they're discussing "who, then, will write the history of the American Revolution" and the answer they settle on is "none living now, I'll wager. We were there, and still cannot know the half of it."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

And then they raped some slaves.

i did say "american liberal history," yes

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Sydin posted:

The actual best founding fathers letters are the ones to/from Lafayette, because he was the only actual purestrain believer in liberalism and enlightenment principals so he just kept writing over and over with "hey so when are you guys finally gonna get rid of the whole slaves thing, that's really bad and of course I'm sure you also know it's really bad since we're all such liberal enlightened thinkers, seems totally incongruous with everything we stand for that the US still practices slavery" and then Washington or Adams or whoever would write back really handwringey replies about how "oh yest of course but you see now's just not the time and also you just don't understand kiddo" from their gigantic chattel slave plantations.

Adams' position on slavery was a far more recognizably liberal one to us here today: "i hate slavery, i hate slavers, and I agree it's really bad that our best friends and allies are all in on raping the help in the name of producing more of the help. if i had a magic wand i'd wave it and it would be gone but have you considered opposing them would just be really inconvenient for us r/n"

made particularly funny by when the Sally Hemings story breaks, him publicly proclaiming that of course he would never believe such an awful thing about his esteemed opponent Mr. Jefferson, and then privately writing to some friends "oh yeah i don't doubt the story's accuracy for a second. Jefferson kept her around wherever he went."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

the Federalists made a campaign song about it for the election, which for some reason Lin-Manuel Miranda didn't work into his fun little musical.

"Yankee doodle, hide the noodle
What wife were half so handy
To breed a crop of slaves for stock
A blackamoor's a dandy!"

can't imagine why

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

to betray the british empire is the highest and most noble cause to which a subject of the british empire can aspire

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
imagine how depressed pete was to not see the pool of blood he'd been hoping for

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
so ~vexing~ that "we'll kill you nicer than the other guy" isn't enough to earn people's support....

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

I don't watch any of his stuff (I'm an ableist who's weirded out by his vocal disability) but I would caution you against going by "what the media show" bc it's in both parties' interests to brand him as an antivax nutter & ignore his stated platform.

I'm not voting for him but he's pulling respectable numbers in polling, which merits political junkies like us to find out why, imo. Younger people aren't antivax yet a lot of them are drawn to him, and I've been baffled as to why.

I think a lot of it has to do with "a pox on both their houses" sentiment, unsurprisingly, and he's definitely (and wisely) exploiting that sentiment. This was his first campaign ad six months ago.

yeah, there's an easy explanation for why he's pulling respectable numbers: both main party candidates are historically unpopular, and young people are more likely than old people to react to that by signaling their displeasure

interesting that we're getting our first british style election: not only does the wider population despise both candidates, the party hierarchy also despises them

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SixteenShells posted:

would love to see her explain what she means by someone attacking Israel because of leftist settler colonial ideology

the interview with Chaya Raichek sticks with me. because these people have absolutely no idea what they are getting mad about : they just know that other people are mad about it, and that they've gotten some limited positive feedback by feeding the hogs

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

"We recognize Israel's right to protect itself. We reject the policy and the practice of Netanyahu. Terrible. What could be worse than what he has done in response? He should resign. He's ultimately responsible," former Speaker Nancy Pelosi said.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4614869-pelosi-israel-netanyahu-should-resign/

we have moved from unconditional support of Israel to unconditional support while whining about how come they gotta make us look bad. let's all board a flight to little st. james to celebrate, gentlemen, we have accomplished what we set out to do

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

what was the deal with Lonesome Hearts, something about good ol Mormon boys trying to civilized the brutish tribes (and maybe one tribe was pacifist)? good rear end DLC but I remember feeling odd about it

Honest Hearts is kind of eh

Joshua referring to the Browning .45 automatic pistol as his tribe's tribal weapon, the bits of Caesar's Legion backstory he provides, and his trying REALLY HARD to be a better man than the man he was before with less success than he'd like, are all great. pretty much everything else about the DLC caps out at "meh." honorable mention to The Savage Tribe That Just Wants To Kill Everyone Because That's What Savage Tribes Do

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont understand how malala yousafazai can produce an off broadway musical about womens suffrage in the united states is she a rich investor now or did she go to school for film production what exactly is she contributing to the project

mascot

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Al! posted:

theres exactly one good thing about honest hearts and thats the burned man constantly cleaning and checking pistols whether hes talking to you or not

the whole DLC exists as an iteration of an idea they had for Van Buren, the hypothetical Fallout 3 by Obsidian, where the Burned Man was a companion you could pick up, with unstoppable stats, who also would make it so every faction in the game tried to kill you on sight. the question "who do the NCR, Legion, and House all want dead on sight" lead to the creation of Joshua Graham as a concept: this is the guy who everyone hates and wants dead. so why hasn't he been killed yet?

there's a neat idea there, sure, but it's hard to escape the observation that the whole DLC is the Joshua Graham Story Starring Joshua Graham

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SixteenShells posted:

He didn't have to come at state legislatures that hard

love me some courtier discourse

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Nonsense posted:

who the gently caress is following Brianna Wu, a deranged bad game maker

the joy of twitter is that through posting alone, you can acquire some shadow of influence, purely based on how annoying you are
and brianna wu is extremely annoying

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Joementum posted:

how does the DCCC still manage to convince two or three of these type of guys to lose every two years?

https://x.com/ike4co/status/1771212681334145467?s=46

Pay's pretty good

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

loquacius posted:

what the gently caress is this guy's obsession with purges

he's painfully aware he's a parasite on the system, whose existence is exclusively made possible by daddy's money, and has spent his career trying to argue in favor of a better-run technocracy. it is difficult for the would-be technocrat to avoid the realization "in a well structured society, I would have been forced to actually work for a living by now."

purges are to will stancil what genocide is to israelis: the thing that the adults in the room have to do, to prevent anyone else from doing it to him

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Hamas did terrorism. What happened in October was terrorism. It’s very likely that Hamas knew how awful Israel’s over response would be when they attacked. Using Hamas’ rhetoric and framing is a problem.

Isreal is pretty clearly trying to genocide Palestinians in Gaza now. Using Israel’s framing is a problem.

It’s not necessary to pick a particular sides framing. It can all be loving terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

have you considered that the liberals said they did though