Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Current Episode

About the Game

FromSoftware as a developer need no introduction. Over the past decade and a half they have become a pillar of gaming. A company that rose up creating incredibly difficult, old school games that captured the imagination of players everywhere and catapulted them to unprecedented success. Dark Souls, Sekiro, Elden Ring, are all considered to be masterpieces in their own way, developments and refinements of a theme that has become a staple of From's work.

A little while ago I engaged with a FromSoft game for the first time, trying out Bloodborne, a game lauded as being potentially their best ever. I went in excited to discover what these games were about and to hopefully join my audience in the joy that they felt for these games.

I hated it.

To this day I consider the period that I played Bloodborne to be easily the worst time I've ever had LPing as a hobby. There has never been a game that has been so against my preference and I swore at the end of that playthrough that I would never touch another FromSoft game.

And yet.

Here we are.

See, whilst From's renaissance was happening, there were calls from a subset of fans for a certain revival. The Armored Core series had been From's bedrock from its time before Souls, with Armored Core V, the last entry, releasing in 2012, a year after Dark Souls. But understandably, when they struck gold, From looked away from their old reliable.

But it was never forgotten, in 2016 there was mention of a new Armored Core game in the works, getting the rumour mill going and in January of 2022 a leaked focus test gave the world the promise of a new game.

Revealed at the game awards in December of that same year, Armored Core VI promised to be the most expansive game in the series. Buoyed by the powers of modern technology and years of experience as well as an expansive war chest from their successes elsewhere, From set out to make the most comprehensive mech game that they could.

And in August 2023 with its release, the results showed. Universal acclaim followed, with claims that this was the definite game of the entire mech genre. Sales followed, with 2.8 million copies sold by October of that year and once again From would find themselves with another incredible hit on their hands.

Which I suppose, brings us back to the question of, but why Nat? Why take another chance when the same could have been said of Bloodborne? Why risk doing this?

And the answer is a pretty simple one.

I want to stab giant robots with a laser sword.

I love mechs, I've loved mech anime since I was a kid watching Gundam wing. I've loved mech cartoons ever since I watched Megas XLR, I've even poured hours into games like Hawken because I like plodding around in a giant (or in this case pretty small) robot and seeing if I can actually accomplish anything.

And if this is anything like any mech videogame I've played, I'm going to have a good time.

Plus, my wonderful audience have said I'd like it. (And I want to give my new graphics cards a beating)

So this is where we land, alongside my wonderful co-commentator Yorkshire Tea, I'll be exploring the world of Armored Core, trying to get into the lore, flying a massive robot around and ruminating over parts, bosses, mission design and everything in between. I speak for both of us when I say we can't wait to see what it has in store.

About the LP

If you want a comprehensive LP looking at the world of Armored Core 6 in incredible detail played by a person who loves the series and is skilled at the game, this is uhhh, not going to be that. You should however check out Nine-Gear Crow's incredible work here instead.

But if you want a very, very angry man pulling out a laser sword and trying to chop a giant robot in half, and by god, there are a lot of robots to chop in half, then you my friend are in luck.

So unsurprisingly then, this is a blind LP being run by myself and my best friend and Co-commentator, Yorkshire Tea. I'll be the primary pilot with Tea along for the ride and occasionally stealing the controller if he thinks I'm flubbing things too hard. Episodes will release (where possible) at 23:00 BST / 18:00pm EST on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, with bonus early episodes for our lovely supporters on Patreon.

Art and banners, will, as ever, be handled by the amazing Bifauxnen.

Episodes

Links

Our Patreon! - In case you want to support our LPs, see episodes early and *gasp* get your name in the credits!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Hell yeah, dueling AC6 LPs. Just kidding, you guys are probably gonna finish yours because CJakes and I get ours done. Best of luck!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Living here in Rubicon, fighting villains from afar...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

Living here in Rubicon, fighting villains from afar...

I'm pretty sure that Walter and 621 are the villains from afar though :ssh:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I think you'll love this game. It has a far different feel than Bloodborne for sure.'

E: And don't forget you have back weapons as well

Slaan fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 17, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Glad to see that this game's getting back on track on the forums.

Also, per early video chat, I present:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Severa Mustang is a good pilot name. While having one doesn't change the game much, merely having one is, I feel, an important part of the narrative.

Also glad to see you beating that boss without breaking its ACS / stance, same as I did my first time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's kinda difficult to hear you guys (especially Tea) when there's rocket engines going, could you maybe tweak the audio balance a bit?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

anilEhilated posted:

It's kinda difficult to hear you guys (especially Tea) when there's rocket engines going, could you maybe tweak the audio balance a bit?

I'll look into it!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Nice!

Look, I had to commit to the bit. Now to watch the video!

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Remember you have missiles. And don't touch the right stick once you've locked on.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
So yeah everything is really huge, but also your Armored Core is about 30 feet tall but they seem small next to the megastructures. I love this game a lot, its fun watching someone get into it blind.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Tallgeese was the best (not) Gundam in Wing for exactly the reasons Nat stated: Strap the biggest god drat engines onto this thing, to hell with the pilot surviving!

Plus it looked great,

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Jossar posted:

Glad to see that this game's getting back on track on the forums.

Also, per early video chat, I present:

This is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWeOLgbKScc

These adverts are burned into my brain.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

:allears: I knew you'd enjoy this more than bloodbourne

Armored Core is pretty princess robot simulator by the way, mech customization is very important.

You should be boosting more. I support your enjoyment of MELEE, but you really need to get used to using your back weapons, You can be firing up to all 4 weapon slots at once if you have guns in them, melee of course does its own animation but is very worth it.

Also very much let me just say beforehand, you never need to grind, parts sell for the same as they buy so you can swap out without concern of missing out. Replaying missions does get you good money and in replay mode you are basically doing score attack, going fast to objectives helps with this. But never replay just to get money, either do it to practice or because you want to go for a max rank. Just note for a VERY few missions you are stuck into a preset loadout, the very first mission with that helicopter is one, if you replay it, you are going to use that very basic mech for it. Also there are hidden parts and lore bits throughout the game, but hidden parts are not numerous and don't appear in most levels. Not until a good bit later will be the first chance at some.

Just a small thing for completing the game

First run do what you feel like

Second run do what you didn't do the first time and anything new

Third Time do the new things.

Thats the quickest way to go through all the missions in the game by number of new game+'s

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

pointlessone posted:

Tallgeese was the best (not) Gundam in Wing for exactly the reasons Nat stated: Strap the biggest god drat engines onto this thing, to hell with the pilot surviving!

Plus it looked great,

Sandrock was obviously the best Gundam since they could not improve upon it. All they could do is give it two swords in the midseries upgrade. And then with the OVA they realized it was still too awesome compared to impractical angel, grimlord double scythe, MooresLaw4Gunz and that other guy, so they had to throw it in a burlap sack. [/s]

But the Tallest of Geese was the best yes.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

FeyerbrandX posted:

MooresLaw4Gunz

This is the greatest description of Heavyarms and it's midseries / Endless Waltz upgrades I've ever heard.

Also, "That other guy" sucked out loud roughly 99% of the entire series, so he doesn't deserve to get mentioned. How can you have a mech sized flamethrower and still be a lamer pilot than a chronically murdering pacifist trustfund baby, the token amnesia character gymnast, the edgelord action game protagonist and the "You can fix him" depressed yaoibait?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Congrats on killing the Rubicopter on your second attempt, a lot of people get stuck on that thing for literal hours.

Echoing the advice for hard lock on: tap R3 to toggle hard lock, then take your finger away from the stick and you will stay focused on the enemy without fail. An important skill if you do go heavy melee since it greatly increases tracking for melee attacks. Also makes Assault Boost bumrush like mad, which, again, is very good for melee

A thing to note since you killed a thing too fast for the tutorial message to register, most melee weapons have multiple use methods, your default blade has a two hit combo, or a heavier charged attack

Going to try to just hang back and not talk from here out though, people who have played the game a lot will always want to try and help a newbie out but might not realize when their 'help' is too much.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yea hard lock doesnt work like it does in most games. It's on/off toggle and once you turn it on, it stays on for the whole mission.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Ashsaber posted:

Congrats on killing the Rubicopter on your second attempt, a lot of people get stuck on that thing for literal hours.

Echoing the advice for hard lock on: tap R3 to toggle hard lock, then take your finger away from the stick and you will stay focused on the enemy without fail. An important skill if you do go heavy melee since it greatly increases tracking for melee attacks. Also makes Assault Boost bumrush like mad, which, again, is very good for melee

A thing to note since you killed a thing too fast for the tutorial message to register, most melee weapons have multiple use methods, your default blade has a two hit combo, or a heavier charged attack

Going to try to just hang back and not talk from here out though, people who have played the game a lot will always want to try and help a newbie out but might not realize when their 'help' is too much.

It shouldn't be something to worry about too much. Typically Tea and I record a few episodes in advance so advice that comes in usually only reflects after a few recordings and typically, if something is obviously a problem and I've not fixed it during a session then the advice is probably going to be good.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Then I'll chime in and say that if a mission seems unpleasantly tricky it's worth rethinking your build, past your first playthrough you'll likely be able to beat down every mission with your favorite build and sufficient acquired skill but for the first one build adaptation will make your life a lot easier.

Also there's a bunch of whiners that say that some bosses got nerfed in patches and are too easy now and so on, and as someone who beat them all before the nerf and after the nerf, several times each: I didn't notice at all, even after being told.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Absolutely change your build and buy stuff that looks cool but doesn't click just yet. They give you a go back to hanger button when you die button for a reason

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Sadly the in mission garage doesn't include the shop, but it's still a lot of options. All of them if you have enough cash as well.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

You've unlocked the shop. Now the fun can begin.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

My hands keep trying to hit a start boosters button on a controller that I'm not even holding. Don't worry, soon, so will you. The autoboost toggle deactivating if you ever stop for a millisecond is one of my gripes with this game.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

My hands keep trying to hit a start boosters button on a controller that I'm not even holding. Don't worry, soon, so will you. The autoboost toggle deactivating if you ever stop for a millisecond is one of my gripes with this game.

I was trying to quickboost for nat so often. Quick boost is life in the game, not just for dodging stuff but for positioning yourself to better stab things.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Gotta go fast and slash stuff is a very playable style 621. I highly recommend it

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm going to warn you, you'll see me quickboost about 5 times across the next four episodes. I do not remember that button ever.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
There's a lot going on with the controls, so I absolutely understand not using X option often (or ever) because it just... doesn't register as an option in the moment.

Especially when melee is right there.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

I'm going to warn you, you'll see me quickboost about 5 times across the next four episodes. I do not remember that button ever.

:argh:

Though since you don't have experience with armored core it might be expected.

You will want to get better with it, while there are no iframes in armored core, dodging attacks still helps you not get stunned and keep your ap up.

legioN7
Jul 13, 2016
As to the question of how big the AC's are in the game, AC6 actually uses the same engine as Elden Ring, so you can import AC6 models into elden ring, which led to the discovery that the models are actually built to-scale, with the starter AC, Loader 4, being about 10 Meters tall.

don't look those up till you finish the game, though, they have boss spoilers.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

legioN7 posted:

As to the question of how big the AC's are in the game, AC6 actually uses the same engine as Elden Ring, so you can import AC6 models into elden ring, which led to the discovery that the models are actually built to-scale, with the starter AC, Loader 4, being about 10 Meters tall.

don't look those up till you finish the game, though, they have boss spoilers.

I saw that video, it was trippy seeing how big some of these things are.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Jeeze. One can only wonder about the potential for modding, though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I've heard word of a co-op mod but I can't research it for fear of spoilers.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

I've heard word of a co-op mod but I can't research it for fear of spoilers.

There is one, but finding it would probably be a bunch of spoilers.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
Could probably link it? It's just a page on Nexusmods. One of the preview images is a spoiler for an enemy, admittedly, but the rest are just menus.
...Wait, is linking it against the rules? I don't actually know.

Doobeedoo fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 21, 2024

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

A little thing about the missions that I think is cool: your starting gear includes a four-cell missile launcher, and the little crappy AT-ST looking walkers and the crappy little choppers tend to appear in groups of four. Perfect for multilock!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Tea thinks giant robots are boring? :commissar:

You should definitely get more used to the controls before you go too much farther into the game. You'll hit a brick wall at the first chapter boss if you don't have the controls down.