Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Every kid got to do that op, it was just you that didn’t because you had “bad vibes”.

Still do, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

isaboo posted:

I remember being allowed into the cockpit for a few minutes when I was around 8 or 9. They gave me a pair of plastic wings to pin on my shirt. That would have been 1979 or 1980, and I was flying alone. Pretty sure it was my first time flying.

I also remember puking up the pancakes they served on the flight.

drat ok grampa

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)
I still have a pair of plastic early 90's Southwest wings somewhere

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

redshirt posted:

I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense

Fun fact apparently Kareem's reaction is genuine and so is the kid's fear

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mister Speaker posted:

I was (still am) a big Beavis & Butthead fan and on one of the flights back I shouted "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE" on takeoff and my Dad told me to shut up.

On one flight I was sitting in the middle seat and as we’re close to touching down the woman next to me by the window looks out and goes “were coming in too fast

I don’t usually get nervous while flying but that freaked me the gently caress out, she could be a pilot for all I know, she sure sounded convinced.

Turns out we all survived

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
When I was 11ish (around 1991) I would fly alone to/from detroit to florida after my parents got divorced, and was brought into the cockpit a few times during these trips, and got some plastic pilot wing. One of the flight attendants would kinda keep an eye on me during these trips and they would sometimes take me into the cockpit to meet the pilot and stuff BEFORE the plane took off. I don't remember if I ever was allowed into the cockpit after takeoff, but it seems doubtful.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

R.L. Stine posted:

i went through the onboard luggage scanner thing and it picked up my epi pen but they search my friends bag behind mine instead lol. i could have brought a gun and flown into the world trade center, killing 2,753 lol. i think about that a lot

My grandpa died right before Christmas 13 years ago and we went to Dayton, did the funeral, cleared out some of the stuff from his basement with my step-grandma.
A lot of stuff we had shipped back or checked, but we had a box with us that was a carry-on. It had a little saturday night special in it, followed by multiple layers of boxes with silver and turquoise jewelry he'd bought from vendors on the Santa Fe plaza visiting us over the years.
We checked the gun days before we left Dayton, looked and felt like it had never been used. Well, legal to take on the plane as a carryon. We go through TSA and that box gets hit with a detection, they pull us aside and swab it. Gunpowder residue, but the machine didn't see anything, dude took layers of the box apart and didn't find anything but jewelry, and we're very clearly white people. Everyone just figured we misjudged the gun and he had fired it at some point and just kept it like-new.
Got home and unloaded that box, which went from DAY to ATL and then ABQ; and the bottom layer was two boxes of ammo for that SNS lmao, all three of us looked at each other in shock and then my brother and I looked at our dad and said, "we all committed a felony, but you have a security clearance."

That poo poo still blows my mind to this day, how easy it was to do that when everyone was totally ignorant of the situation because of negligence and privilege.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 22, 2024

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

I got to once when I was like 7 or 8, in the late 80s. I still have the American Airlines wings pin somewhere. The nice lady flight attendant asked me if I wanted to see the cockpit. I wish a nice lady flight attendant would ask me that these days.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Sophy Wackles posted:

When I was a kid, the pilots let me tour the cockpit before taking off when I was flying alone one time. Sadly I was not allowed to fly the plane.

I think it was a common thing pre 9/11.

yeah, did this couple times in the early 90s

e: also got the little plastic wings pin

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

part of the determination was that they were unfamiliar with the aircraft

just great SOP all around from Aeroflot

The related Wikipedia pages are a trip:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_6502

quote:

Aeroflot Flight 6502, a crash in which the pilots bet they could land blind
25% of the passengers survived, so I'm not sure who wins that bet?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines_Flight_261 is one of the wildest ever, all cuz a jackscrew broke

i guess trigger warning: unrecoverable plane being flown upside down by wildmen trying to save everyone's lives knowing they're hosed

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 22, 2024

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Could you find another word besides wildmen to describe them? I'm picturing men in skins with twigs and leaves in their hair flying a plane upside down after somehow getting it into the air. It doesn't sound traumatic it sounds madcap.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)
i mean, that's basically what happened once the jackscrew exploded and the plane pitched

they were already starting to get real crazy when they realized a major part of the airplane was about to break minutes prior

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The more goons that post they got to go into cockpits the more angry I get

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Grem posted:

better get real mad about the 80's and early 90's in general

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I've been flying with my parents since I was 0 years old in 1992 and I begged everyone CONSTANTLY every year to let me see the cockpit and I never got to :smith:

go take a flying lesson sometime. its pretty cool.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Grem posted:

i also got to go into to cockpit once as a kid lol. plane was still on the ground. this must have been about 1993 or 94.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

MrQwerty posted:

better get real mad about the 80's and early 90's in general

I was a kid at that time, why didn't they pick me?!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Grem posted:

I was a kid at that time, why didn't they pick me?!

idk they picked me

bad vibes?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

I. M. Gei posted:

There actually was a case where a plane crashed because the pilots let a kid into the cockpit.

IIRC the kid fiddled with some controls and inadvertently turned off a critical safety feature in the process. By the time the pilots realized anything was wrong, it was too late. The last thing the black box recorded was one of the pilots angrily yelling at the kid, telling him the plane was gonna crash and everyone onboard including him was about to die and it was all his fault. :smith:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_593

Kid's got an amazing k:d ratio

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I got to go up to the cockpit in 1999, I thought it was going to be like Anakin and Rick Oliay on the Queen's ship in Episode 1 but the pilots were extremely uninterested in lovely little kids getting into their business. :smith:

(at least the flight attendants brought us as many mini cans of coke as we wanted, which was heaven for a fat kid)

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
There's a hyperactive fat kid bothering the pilots. What should I do?

Give them caffeinated sugar water asap.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

When I was a kid, a flight attendant asked me if I wanted to go up and see the cockpit, but I was so socially anxious and scared of everything that I just shook my head no. I think the flight attendant was confused, because what kid wouldn’t want to see the cockpit? So she asked me again, and I just got more and more nervous until she walked away. I assumed that I offended her and probably the entire flight crew, which made me more nervous, so I just spent the rest of the flight trying not to cry. :(

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
don't most kids now not even remember flights cause they're too conked out on benadryl. you take these funny pills and shut up for the whole flight and wake up on the other side of the world

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Grem posted:

And goon's mums.

Took my mum to see my sister in Australia in about 98.

She asked if she could see the cockpit. They said yes, and I went with her.

She was in her 60s, I was about 30 at the time.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Big whoop, unless the have Aliens on VHS and the Turtles arcade game up there, kid me wouldn't give a poo poo.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

~Coxy posted:

I got to go up to the cockpit in 1999, I thought it was going to be like Anakin and Rick Oliay on the Queen's ship in Episode 1 but the pilots were extremely uninterested in lovely little kids getting into their business. :smith:

(at least the flight attendants brought us as many mini cans of coke as we wanted, which was heaven for a fat kid)

back in my day we were all about the flight attendants bringing us fat cans

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Thesaurus posted:

The related Wikipedia pages are a trip:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_6502

25% of the passengers survived, so I'm not sure who wins that bet?

quote:

The accident occurred when, on a bet, the pilot attempted to make an instrument-only approach with curtained cockpit windows.

lmfao

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
In the early/mid 90s, as a young kid, I was on a domestic flight in Australia heading north to Queensland. I was sitting close to the cockpit, which was open the entire flight btw: I was invited up to meet the pilots. I can't remember what we chatted about, some tedious/boring BS no doubt, but hey, I was a big aviation nerd, so it was awesome to me.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

Grem posted:

1986 nerdy as gently caress checking in :smug:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i was in the cockpit both times i flew in the 90s btw op

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you could toil your life away in this mechanical prison someday, child, if you’re lucky

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I got a cockpit for u op

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Clarence posted:

And goon's mums.

Can confirm, I’ve been in many goons’ mums

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Grem posted:

Got to go into the cockpit when I was 6 and flying back from Moscow with Aeroflot. Even got to wiggle the flight stick, though I'm pretty sure they turned it off beforehand.

Sucks to suck, OP.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

If you went into a cockpit during the 80s or 90s you aren't allowed to donate blood

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i never donate, i always ask to be paid

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Bad Purchase posted:

i never donate, i always ask to be paid

Everyone is aware that'd you'd never do anything out of the kindness of your own heart

Less Is Definitely
Jan 10, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

My grandpa died right before Christmas 13 years ago and we went to Dayton, did the funeral, cleared out some of the stuff from his basement with my step-grandma.
A lot of stuff we had shipped back or checked, but we had a box with us that was a carry-on. It had a little saturday night special in it, followed by multiple layers of boxes with silver and turquoise jewelry he'd bought from vendors on the Santa Fe plaza visiting us over the years.
We checked the gun days before we left Dayton, looked and felt like it had never been used. Well, legal to take on the plane as a carryon. We go through TSA and that box gets hit with a detection, they pull us aside and swab it. Gunpowder residue, but the machine didn't see anything, dude took layers of the box apart and didn't find anything but jewelry, and we're very clearly white people. Everyone just figured we misjudged the gun and he had fired it at some point and just kept it like-new.
Got home and unloaded that box, which went from DAY to ATL and then ABQ; and the bottom layer was two boxes of ammo for that SNS lmao, all three of us looked at each other in shock and then my brother and I looked at our dad and said, "we all committed a felony, but you have a security clearance."

That poo poo still blows my mind to this day, how easy it was to do that when everyone was totally ignorant of the situation because of negligence and privilege.

This is an awesome story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The TERRIFYING button pilots don't want you to know about! This one mistake will DESTROY the engines in mid air!! If u hear a flight attendant say 7600 a terrorist is on board!!!