Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Hey I saw we did not have a virtual table top thread dedicated to the different available ways to play RPGs and other games over the WORLD WIDE WEB. This is a general thread for all virtual table top programs. If a program isn't listed , ask for it and I will include it in the op.

What is Virtual Table Top ? Generally speaking its a web based or other program that allows you play RPGS over the net.

Here are some programs to get you started

Roll 20 : https://roll20.net/welcome , probably one of the most popular websites for playing all different types of games . It's web based. It supports a tremendous number of different games

Foundry https://foundryvtt.com/ , this can basically be pretty much used for everything. From board games to RPGs

Fantasy Grounds https://www.fantasygrounds.com/ , similar to role 20 but you are the actual server. Supports a myriad of different games.

Owl Bear Rodeo https://www.owlbear.rodeo/ , I know basically nothing about this having only learned of it today

IF there are ones that I missed please suggest and I will add them.

Feel free to discuss any Virtual Table Top game in this thread, any system etc.. Maybe we can also use this for finding players. Also if you want something added to the initial post just request that.

Also feel free to post questions in this thread and hopefully we'll be able to answer them.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
I would suggest adding a link to VTTES - https://justas-d.github.io/roll20-enhancement-suite/ - To the OP.

Or at least, it's here now as I've gotten the first post in.

It's an extension for Roll20 that adds a whole bunch of useful functions, including letting you bypass their internal file storage for images. Just remember to upload them somewhere they'll stay up rather than discord, or you'll find your tokens vanish on you after a few days. I swear by it myself, although sometimes it can be easier to just upload them to r20 if you want to be very sure they'll stay around.

Technically works on the Chromiums but will need manual updating, you're better off with firefox if you want it to handle itself.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Alchemy comes to mind https://alchemyrpg.com/

It runs as a desktop app (much like Fantasy Grounds) and supports a good amount of systems. A lot of smaller companies are now tying Alchemy support into their Kickstarters as a stretch goal.

Who is supported?
The big one is Free League. They have Alchemy support for Twilight:2000 4e,Mutant Year Zero, Forbidden Lands,Symbaroum, Dragonbane, Coriolis, Tales from the Loop, Vaesen, and Mork Borg,
Rowan, Rook, and Decard's Eat the Reich is on the way, Humblewood, Kids on Bikes, City of Mists, Vampire, Masks,5e, Pathfinder 2e (the Kingmaker AP specifically is preset),and Modiphius just added the Fallout RPG.

Is it any good?
It is not as flexible in putting your own system in it (you basically can't), but it runs very smoothly, and looks great; the tools work well, and I have never had any connection issues (granted, I host on a stupidly fast fiber connection. Their marketplace has some very nice asset packs and stuff.

How much?
Free level lets you create 3 Characters, 3 Games, 1 'Universe'
Subscribers get unlimited of all three for $8 mo/$88 yr

Is it worth it?
Maybe? I use Roll20 mainly because of its flexibility, but I really liked the integration of Tales from the Loop, and Coriolis when I ran them.

LukasR23 posted:

I would suggest adding a link to VTTES - https://justas-d.github.io/roll20-enhancement-suite/ - To the OP.

Or at least, it's here now as I've gotten the first post in.

It's an extension for Roll20 that adds a whole bunch of useful functions, including letting you bypass their internal file storage for images. Just remember to upload them somewhere they'll stay up rather than discord, or you'll find your tokens vanish on you after a few days. I swear by it myself, although sometimes it can be easier to just upload them to r20 if you want to be very sure they'll stay around.

Technically works on the Chromiums but will need manual updating, you're better off with firefox if you want it to handle itself.

I use VTTES constantly. It's great. I also use Roll20 Exporter Chrome Extension Here. This is a handy extension that will download all your assets from a Roll20 campaign and bundle them up as a handy zip file for archiving.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 25, 2024

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is there anything to the idea that, just like we don't need one universal RPG system to represent every kind of game, we also don't need one VTT?

I ask this because my only experience with VTTs is roll20, and because our GM that's into VTTs uses it exclusively and would neve, ever, escape the sunk costs of tokens and whatever other assets he's created, not to mention the experience and knowledge of the program.

It sounds similar to someone that wants to use one system for every game they run, but another part of me says that actually it's quite different and it's fine to do this, just like it's fine to only have discord for your VoIP needs regardless of what you're discussing or doing in the channel.

For my part, I don't actually make use of a VTT currently, but if I did I'd prioritize something fundamentally open source, even if it's less feature rich, because I wouldn't want to, say, spend ten years in one program and then the company goes under or radically changes the monetization.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is there anything to the idea that, just like we don't need one universal RPG system to represent every kind of game, we also don't need one VTT?

I ask this because my only experience with VTTs is roll20, and because our GM that's into VTTs uses it exclusively and would neve, ever, escape the sunk costs of tokens and whatever other assets he's created, not to mention the experience and knowledge of the program.

It sounds similar to someone that wants to use one system for every game they run, but another part of me says that actually it's quite different and it's fine to do this, just like it's fine to only have discord for your VoIP needs regardless of what you're discussing or doing in the channel.

For my part, I don't actually make use of a VTT currently, but if I did I'd prioritize something fundamentally open source, even if it's less feature rich, because I wouldn't want to, say, spend ten years in one program and then the company goes under or radically changes the monetization.

Yeah sunk cost is a huge part of why I use Roll20. I will say this though I'm very worried WotC is going to release their VTT and make it exclusive shutting out other VTTs

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Cheers for the Roll20 exporter link! Wish I'd had this when I initially moved my PF2e game over to Foundry. So many tokens I had to grab from my barely-functioning laptop that I'd never backed up...

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
My group used Roll20 with D&D Beyond (with the Beyond20 browser plugin) and it worked mostly fine.

Even after WotC releases their whatever-it-is, Roll20 and Foundry will still always be the go-to VTTs for anything other than D&D. I don't think losing that market share will affect their popularity much.

Also Pathfinder's support in Foundry is amazing. There are plenty of rules systems supported in Foundry, but PF2's beggars them all.

I use Roll20 to run all my indie one-off games (Fellowship, Sword World, even Lasers & Feelings). This is partly due to my own experience with it, but also because my players all know how it works and are used to its peccadillos. Having to teach my non-technical friends how to login to a Foundry instance or how to install Steam or whatever just makes me want to go back to the "login and let's play" ease of Roll20. I even got a Pro license so I could install mods and create new character sheets in their sandbox.

Regarding other VTTs, there are several non-web-based apps and programs that could go in here too. These are all on Steam:

Tabletop Simulator - more like "every tabletop game ever," but that includes TTRPGs, so ...
Fantasy Grounds - full of half-assed DLC, and kinda basic, but it works
Tales of Fablecraft - still in beta, a VTT that only supports its own proprietary game system. Impressive for what it does though
The RPG Engine - Build intricate 3D maps and host them locally with a zillion chunky assets
Talespire - same general idea as RPG Engine, but as a live service

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I do t know if WoTC is going to pull support from Roll20. I'm nervous about it though.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I played around with AboveVTT a little, but haven't tried actually running a game with it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DungeonsAndDragons/comments/mqx68w/easily_turn_dndbeyond_into_a_vtt_a_free_chrome/

It's a browser plugin that integrates with DnD Beyond.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah, absolutely. Your open source considerations are one example. I’d also say that a complex battlemap game needs Roll20 or Foundry way more than something like a GUMSHOE game or Lady Blackbird. Roll20 is way too much overhead when I just want a way to store character sheets and flash cool visuals.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Pathfinder foundry users post ur mod lists

Edit: please.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I use roll20 just as a music player and dice bot. I don't use the built-in character sheets or macros, I barely use the maps and I basically never use tokens. Maybe it's time to find a discord bot that plays music off my hard drive, or off google drive or something.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I hate having to create a new account for every website, especially if I'm only going to use it once. A "guest" login option to join someone else's game would negate all my complaints about new VTTs.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
If you want a super simple low overhead and free VTT there's always MapTools https://www.rptools.net/toolbox/maptool/

This is seriously old-school, but it works. It, like Foundry, does not use an external host, the host is whoever is letting their machine act as the server,

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 25, 2024

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

mellonbread posted:

I hate having to create a new account for every website, especially if I'm only going to use it once. A "guest" login option to join someone else's game would negate all my complaints about new VTTs.

I think this is what initially sold me on foundry. While I as a GM need to make an account, the people joining my game don't really need to do anything but have a computer that can handle it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Do not let your local machine directly act as a server unless you have a VPN. Doing so is lowering yourself nude into a shark tank. Ngrok if you have to.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

The problem with Foundry, and with most VTTs in general to a lesser extent, is that whichever VTT is best for you often comes down to 'has someone else made a module/character sheet for the system you're using?' If the answer is yes, great, it's probably a good VTT for your needs. If the answer is no, you're either out of luck or you'd better be a trained programmer if you want to make your own. (RIP Astral: overlaying form elements on character sheet pdfs was inspired)

Foundry is particularly bad about this for two reasons. First, you have to set a module to make a room at all, whereas you don't need a character sheet to run a Roll20 room. Secondly, and much more annoying, Foundry has had some major revisions under the hood over last few years, and the efforts of the community to keep modules up to date and compatible with the most recent versions are... spotty, at best. Lancer, the #1 module people talk about when they bring up Foundry, will not work with the current version. Plenty of other modules throw errors left and right when the program tries to load them, as well.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

If you want a super simple low overhead and free VTT there's always MapTools https://www.rptools.net/toolbox/maptool/

This is seriously old-school, but it works. It, like Foundry, does not use an external host, the host is whoever is letting their machine act as the server,

I associate MapTools with wildly complex macro sets used for 4e Living Forgotten Realms games but I bet it’s perfectly good for just a map and tokens.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Also if anyone has some free links to map assets, etc, or even patrons, that's cool. I can add that to the op

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Does anyone have any experience using a VTT with an iPad? I'm trying to upgrade my setup so I can use a VTT for my in person games and I'm trying to see if I can get away with using the equipment I already have. I have a laptop and a microsoft surface and they both seem to work OK, but last time I tried using roll20 on an ipad a couple of years ago it didn't really work. I also saw that Foundry seems to have issues running on ipad? This would be for a player view.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Does anyone have any experience using a VTT with an iPad? I'm trying to upgrade my setup so I can use a VTT for my in person games and I'm trying to see if I can get away with using the equipment I already have. I have a laptop and a microsoft surface and they both seem to work OK, but last time I tried using roll20 on an ipad a couple of years ago it didn't really work. I also saw that Foundry seems to have issues running on ipad? This would be for a player view.

I don't think a lot of VTTs work great on tablets unless they're SUPER simple. R20 makes my iPad run almost too hot to hold sometimes. (Though they're testing a new, less memory-hogging version which may lessen that in the future.)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The new Jumpgate builds of Roll20 work pretty drat well on my Fire HD10 at least.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I actually wanted to share this

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlemaps/

I've found is a really good resource for maps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

The Roll20 Activity for Discord beta is available for Pro members. It's extremely underwhelming. Essentially it plops a mini version of the regular R20 window in the middle of Discord and calls it a day. It doesn't even fill the entire available space. The only change that I could see is a new interface for the game session picker when you login. Whee.

I'd hoped they would do something interesting with chat at least, but nope.