Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is there anything to the idea that, just like we don't need one universal RPG system to represent every kind of game, we also don't need one VTT?

Yeah, absolutely. Your open source considerations are one example. I’d also say that a complex battlemap game needs Roll20 or Foundry way more than something like a GUMSHOE game or Lady Blackbird. Roll20 is way too much overhead when I just want a way to store character sheets and flash cool visuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

If you want a super simple low overhead and free VTT there's always MapTools https://www.rptools.net/toolbox/maptool/

This is seriously old-school, but it works. It, like Foundry, does not use an external host, the host is whoever is letting their machine act as the server,

I associate MapTools with wildly complex macro sets used for 4e Living Forgotten Realms games but I bet it’s perfectly good for just a map and tokens.