Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tonari no Youkai is a pleasant, (mostly) slice of life anime set in a world where humans and various supernatural spirits, gods, and monsters live side-by-side in (mostly) harmony. The show focuses on the lives and goings-on of an idyllic town named Fuchigamori.

Characters
Buchio

Maybe the closest thing to a protagonist, Buchio is a very old housecat who was reborn into a nekomata. He's kind of shy and still trying to figure out the whole youkai thing, and all the paperwork that comes with it.

Yuri

Buchio's grumpy teacher and a stone cold fox. It's hinted that she has a tragic past.

Jiro

The village's easygoing tengu protector. He's currently acting as a paternal figure in Mutsumi's life after her father got vanished.

Mutsumi

A plucky, young girl whose dad got sucked into a black hole. She's still trying to sort out her feelings about that since, in all likelihood, he ain't coming back.

Whatever the gently caress this thing is

???

There are actually a lot more characters tho, this whole thing's very much and ensemble anime. Anyway, it's good, you should check it out.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Car youkai and his husband are the best.

"I was a German car, so I had to start by getting Japanese citizenship" :lol:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Sindai posted:

Car youkai and his husband are the best.

"I was a German car, so I had to start by getting Japanese citizenship" :lol:

VolksWagen-kun :swoon:

With all the costly fees, taxes, and upkeep to continue making a car street-legal in Japan, to keep a car of that vintage running is true sign of love.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 28, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is the girl in the top-left a kappa?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ytlaya posted:

Is the girl in the top-left a kappa?

Yes.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

interesting little show this is turning out to be, i might've dropped it after ep 3 if it didn't turn out like it did and now i'm wondering where it goes from here

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyway, I do wonder if the demon king will turn out to have some ulterior motive or if he's just a cool guy.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Mordja posted:

Anyway, I do wonder if the demon king will turn out to have some ulterior motive or if he's just a cool guy.

For that matter, is there any relation or correlation between a demon king in Japanese folklore and D&D-eque fantasies. I think the term they use is the same in Japanese (maō (魔王) or maou, so not a loose translation) but I've never heard the term used in Japanese folklore before. Quick bit of research doesn't tie it into any particular legend which adds to the mystery in this case.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Edward IV posted:

For that matter, is there any relation or correlation between a demon king in Japanese folklore and D&D-eque fantasies. I think the term they use is the same in Japanese (maō (魔王) or maou, so not a loose translation) but I've never heard the term used in Japanese folklore before. Quick bit of research doesn't tie it into any particular legend which adds to the mystery in this case.
The series seems to be depicting both traditional and contemporary supernatural entities, and I guess the demon king has just become such a stock trope in Japanese nerd fiction that the author thought it would be fun to include. For example, Hanako-san is a relatively modern ghost story, and I'm sure there could be other urban legends referenced that I don't know about.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

symbolic posted:

interesting little show this is turning out to be, i might've dropped it after ep 3 if it didn't turn out like it did and now i'm wondering where it goes from here

on the other hand, i somehow knew it would be exactly about going to the spirit dmv from episode 1 and i'm pumped for more

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
edit: double post dummy

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
We isekai now :v:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Missed opportunity for the isekai device to be a box truck instead of a van.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 4, 2024

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Can't believe Wagen-kun was a rebound. Stay safe buddy...

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Well I'm glad we finally know the full story behind the mystery of Kisaragi Station.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Omnicrom posted:

Well I'm glad we finally know the full story behind the mystery of Kisaragi Station.

Had to look that up, but neat, they really are hitting a bunch of modern urban legends too, then. Maybe slenderman will show up but he's just delivering groceries to an old lady.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

okay this show officially rocks

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fvsItXYgzk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
1. I'm glad to see Yuki reconcile with her family.

2. Just as much that Jiro asked Mutsumi to keep the cord as a charm.

3. Rumors and stories, man.