Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

May 23rd release in Australia, May 24th US release.

Trailers:

Other Links:

Mad Max is back, bay-bee!!

Well, okay, he's not back. Furiosa is back--this is a "Mad Max Saga". This film is a prequel to 2015's Fury Road, serving as a basis to explain Charlize Theron's character. Given the long production time of Fury Road, Miller and co. had plenty of time to work on backstories... and they did. A complete origin of Imperator Furiosa was penned before the shooting of Fury Road. George Miller had even intended to make a proper film of the story if Fury Road was a success.

It was. Now we're here.

From the Warner Bros website, the set-up is as follows:

https://www.warnerbros.com/movies/furiosa-mad-max-saga posted:

As the world fell, young Furiosa is snatched from the Green Place of Many Mothers and falls into the hands of a great Biker Horde led by the Warlord Dementus. Sweeping through the Wasteland they come across the Citadel presided over by The Immortan Joe. While the two Tyrants war for dominance, Furiosa must survive many trials as she puts together the means to find her way home.

Timeline-wise, if that's your thing, this takes place roughly 15-20 years before the events of Fury Road. Now time is a funny thing in Mad Max, 'cause you can see it as all mythical apocalypse campfire stories or a single unified timeline. It's unlikely Max will appear at all, but who knows, maybe we'll get an interceptor cameo. Between The Road Warrior and Fury Road, Max is supposed to have been rebuilding the Interceptor (this plot is used for the video game).

That said, we ARE getting some returning characters. Past Citadel characters such as Immortan Joe, Rictus Erectus, and The Organic Mechanic will return. Sadly with Hugh Keays-Byrne's death in 2020, he won't be stepping into the role; Australian actor Lachy Hulme will be filling in. Nathan Jones and Angus Sampson will be reprising their roles. As well, The People Eater (played by John Howard) will be returning, so it appears we will be seeing more of Gas Town in this movie.

And Miller keeps up the tradition of having the same actor playing different character across films (Max Fairchild playing Benno in Mad Max and "Broken Victim" in Road Warrior; Bruce Spence as the Gyrocaptain and Jedidiah the Pilot; Hugh Keays-Byrne as The Toecutter and Immortan Joe). Josh Helman, who played Slit in Fury Road, is back but is now playing Scabrous Scrotus, one of Immortan Joe's sons. Those of you who play the game may recall him as the primary antagonist there.

Otherwise, much of the same crew returns as well. Same screenwriter and costume designer, Margaret Sixel (Miller's wife) is again the film editor, and Junkie XL is scoring it once more.

Personally, I'm most excited to see Chris Hemsworth finally get a chance to play the most Aussie bloke he could dream up as Dementus. He based the accent of his own grandad and is rocking a real "we've got Thor at home" vibe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

mix of pride and shame to say Hemsworth sounds like my dad in this

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Hemsworth's dad was hanging around with the bikers who participated in the first Max and dog-sat their dog, called Wonderdog, while they were filming :allears:

Miller talks about it in the second last section of this video

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I feel like the shots of Furiosa looking down at the camera and emphasizing her prosthetic arm are reminding me of some classic anime moment. like particularly this one:

I dunno why it seems so striking to me but it feels like it's a more specific reference than I'm able to recall. Also googling that a bit, I found that this entire movie was originally conceived long ago as an anime! anyway im gettin hyped for it

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I look forward to analysing the character/costume designs for this movie. For starters, Joe no longer has his icon as a codpiece, but instead two pistols slung very... Low on the groin. Evocative.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm more annoyed than I probably should be that they felt the need to tack "A Mad Max Saga" onto title. What demo are they going after with that subtitle? Who are these people that like Mad Max enough that they will be drawn in by the subtitle but who don't know about Furiosa? Fury Road completely transcended Mad Max in terms of cultural awareness, if people know Mad Max then they're going to know Furiosa.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
After the bafflingly terrible genie movie I have low expectations but I want this to be good more than any other movie coming out this year. I can't even bring myself to watch the whole trailer because I don't want to know what to expect other than the cast. I know it can't be as exciting as Fury Road was but I just hope it's not stupid.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I saw the trailer for this before DUNC 2 and it looked kinda lovely. Either they're using a lot more CGI now than they were in Fury Road, or something just went wrong with their production because the action scenes looked crappy as hell.

Not having high hopes but poo poo, hopefully it turns out to be great.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I saw the trailer for this before DUNC 2 and it looked kinda lovely. Either they're using a lot more CGI now than they were in Fury Road, or something just went wrong with their production because the action scenes looked crappy as hell.

Not having high hopes but poo poo, hopefully it turns out to be great.

I was gonna say the exact same thing. I was wondering if they used different film tech for this, or is it really just way more CGI than in the past movies? A big part of the appeal of Mad Max has always been the practical effects and real car stunts, but the trailer for this everything looks so hyper saturated and cartoonish. I'm hoping it's just the trailer or it looks better in theaters.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Papercut posted:

I was gonna say the exact same thing. I was wondering if they used different film tech for this, or is it really just way more CGI than in the past movies? A big part of the appeal of Mad Max has always been the practical effects and real car stunts, but the trailer for this everything looks so hyper saturated and cartoonish. I'm hoping it's just the trailer or it looks better in theaters.

Fury Road had plenty of CG stuff in it, but it worked because the meat and potatoes of the movie was that they actually went to Nambia and filmed in that Mad Maxish landscape.

This one was filmed in Australia so I don't know if they did a lot of location shooting or not but I agree that based on the trailers that it feels like there could be some greenscreen involved, which is almost never a good thing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ttRWPXJSmM

There is plenty of green screen on Fury Road and Furiosa was similarly filmed "on location" a lot, I think we should wait to see the final product before weighing in on how effective the look is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Greenscreen is too much of a catch-all term I suppose. What I'm referring to isn't where you go out to the desert and set up a screen in front of a car crash scene so that you can CG elements into the shot later. I'm talking about the all-encompassing greenscreen where the actors are on a soundstage and the entire background is greenscreened. What's the term for that?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'm gonna see it in theaters either way anyway though lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

I'm more annoyed than I probably should be that they felt the need to tack "A Mad Max Saga" onto title. What demo are they going after with that subtitle? Who are these people that like Mad Max enough that they will be drawn in by the subtitle but who don't know about Furiosa? Fury Road completely transcended Mad Max in terms of cultural awareness, if people know Mad Max then they're going to know Furiosa.

They liked mad max fury road so when they see on the poster or ticket kiosk that it says mad max they’ll see it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
this "trailer" is making the film look p good: https://youtu.be/WPFBg9NpDtU?si=FOBtO3V6kLHKagUV

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBFB8Oo4dBY

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Thats p dope but gimmie Brothers in Arms 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sCXkpZsBRg

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Same. I’m hoping for that standout track like that one

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Early impressions from the Sydney premiere are positive. A bunch of been collected here: https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/furiosa-first-reactions-brutal-masterful-and-absolutely-epic/

I don't think review-proper embargo lifts until the Cannes showing on the 15th, but still...

The cliffnotes:
  • In general, it's great. Furiosa is in interesting character and the story does justice to her.
  • Furiosa =/= Fury Road. They share stylistic similarities but are entirely different narrative beasts. For example:

"It’s an antithesis to Fury Road in that where that film is sparse, this is verbose and epic, and where once was a nigh silent film is now a massive canvas of dystopia, despair, and glory."
  • Anna Taylor-Joy is good in the role.
  • Christ Hemsworth makes a great villain and chews scenery with the best of them.
  • Great action and set pieces, although the CGI is much more obvious than Fury Road and may annoy some.
  • Longest Mad Max film yet at 2 and a half hours in length. Has some pacing issues.

If those are the big issues with the film, I'm hyped. Like, I loving love Thunderdome for all its warts.

I wonder if it'll be more revenge flick in tone a la Mad Max 1 than mythical Hero's Journey like the others.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also saw an interview and apparently Anna Taylor-Joy has no driver's license, learned to drive on set and basically only knows how to stunt drive like an apolocalyptic maniac now... and post-filming still has no license.

legend

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
New trailer. Mixes scenes from Fury Road but also has new scenes from Furiosa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XotnyLjS8fo

New Junkie XL soundtrack is sounding great. Loved the guitar at 1:08.

Also, today I learned these is going to be a character in the film called The Octoboss and I am guessing it's a parachute-gliding chaingun guy:

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
nothing about this film makes me confident that it'll be good. hoping i'm wrong as fury road was incredible in the cinema, but my expectations are pretty loving low based on the trailers

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Horizon Burning posted:

nothing about this film makes me confident that it'll be good. hoping i'm wrong as fury road was incredible in the cinema, but my expectations are pretty loving low based on the trailers

That's u

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I would advise anyone wanting to go into this one without any spoilers to avoid all the media for this one. Miller has revealed something in at least one interview you might not want to know ahead of time and it was also on the movies Wikipedia page.

So maybe go radio silent for a bit yeah?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Easily my most anticipated film of the year. Miller hasn't let me down yet and Fury Road is an all-timer for me

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I think he liked it

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1788859151319507304

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Longtweet + multiple exclamation marks means he loved it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Loved it and calls it the best of the franchise

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

He is my God, and the SAGA that he tells is my Bible.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lol i love Kojima. if there is a Furiosa game, i hope he makes it. he and Miller have been hanging out a lot recently and Miller was blown away by Death Stranding.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Horizon Burning posted:

many doubted Fury Road too when its trailers dropped.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Sally posted:

many doubted Fury Road too when its trailers dropped.

I hate to say it but I kind of agree with him.
As soon as I saw the first Fury Road trailer I was completely on board, but this one just hasn't grabbed me. I'm still going to see it in theaters because Fury Road was so loving good, and I hope I'm wrong.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

I hate to say it but I kind of agree with him.
As soon as I saw the first Fury Road trailer I was completely on board, but this one just hasn't grabbed me. I'm still going to see it in theaters because Fury Road was so loving good, and I hope I'm wrong.

Part of it is definitely just that the general aesthetic of Fury Road was very different and felt unique at the time. Furiosa looks pretty much the same so you don't have that Wow factor.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1788960730093617390?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hideo GOATjima

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9S-WyzAalQ

Yeah I'm fuckin in

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

MacheteZombie posted:

Hideo GOATjima

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
This convo had me go back and watch the Fury Road trailers, and holy poo poo the theatrical teaser trailer rips so drat hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNWi-ZWL3c

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fury Road might have been the last time I was both surprised and delighted in the theater. I've liked movies since it came out, of course, but nothing quite like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
Planning on maybe seeing this in 4DX with my younger brother if the word on release is good. If it can manage to be anywhere near the level of Fury Road it’ll still probably be movie of the year both this year and next.

Argus Zant fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 10, 2024