Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
While this might be the best time to be a wrestling fan, your dad probably believes HIS time was the best. I've decided to make a thread for PSP to ask their parents (or whatever older relative who watched) what they remember about pro wrestling in their time.

My dad grew up near Dallas in the '50s and '60s, and like all kids his age he watched wrestling from the Sportatorium. While he's mostly forgotten the intricacies of storylines, one incident stands out to him. Fritz Von Erich was being interviewed by Bill Mercer and was asked to demonstrate the Iron Claw on Killer Karl Kox. Von Erich claimed he wouldn't apply pressure to the hold on the dastardly heel, but when he put his hand on the poor subject's head he went whole-hog. An "X" covered Killer Karl Kox's head as blood ran down (I cannot verify if this was broadcast in black-and-white, but it probably was).

Post fun stories your parents have told you about wrestling from their time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My Mom was (near as we can figure) at this show:

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=338602

And saw Haystacks Calhoun (who was a guest referee for a Texas Deathmatch) for the first time. She said he was the biggest person she’d ever seen and there were apparently little kids in the crowd that just started screaming in terror when he showed up, even though (at least as my Mom remembers it) he was a baby face for this.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mine said it's fake

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

My dad grew up in Minneapolis in the 70s/80s and would go to AWA shows all the time. His kayfabe shattering moment was going to a show and realizing that he was taller than Big John Stud. He also regularly saw Mean Gene at North Stars games.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cavauro posted:

mine said it's fake

Barry Scott
Jan 2, 2009
my parents to this day insist Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks were good but for the life of me every bit of footage I've seen looks utterly dreadful, that's part of the British experience I guess?

My first wrestling memory is watching Robbie Brookside Vs Fit Finlay at an indy show and seeing a grandma go apoplectic with rage after Finlay got away with cheating

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

my mom has a story of drinking with the awa guys including andre the giant who she said picked her up with one hand. She hated wrestling though and constantly told me it was fake and bad to women. Mom wins.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Suplex Liberace posted:

my mom has a story of drinking with the awa guys including andre the giant who she said picked her up with one hand. She hated wrestling though and constantly told me it was fake and bad to women. Mom wins.

My dad used to go to matches in Baltimore with a friend and remembers Sweet Daddy Siki as a favorite. His grandmother was also a huge fan and went to matches as well back in the Gorgeous George era.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

My great-great-aunt in Canada introduced me to wrestling on a visit in like 1985 or 86. She was like 90 and I was 6. She loved the Killer Bees and hated the dastardly Iron Sheik.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
My dad has a memory of seeing Ernie The Cat Ladd and Bruno wrestle in MSG. Not many others I think he only went to a couple shows, his main memory is people wanting to see blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

My great-aunt who really got me into wrestling as a young kid apparently would take the faces out to a nice dinner when the NWA still toured through the town back in the 70s.