Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

keep portland weird, keep austin weird, etc

what does keeping some place weird mean and have they been successful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

it means the rent is about to go up

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
preserve the unique local culture especially as it differs from the broader culture of the surrounding region

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
"Keep your local culture odd and/or strange so us Large Corporations can make a profit off of you by turning you into a tourist thing"

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Croccers posted:

"Keep your local culture odd and/or strange so us Large Corporations can make a profit off of you by turning you into a tourist thing"

Yep, lock the doors ott.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
You could see it as people being a little too convinced that their mid-sized city is special in some way. But I think Austin and Portland both actually have a pretty decent case in that regard.

If Akron or Grand Rapids or some place like that is trying to pull that poo poo that's a little harder to justify.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

thats some poo poo i see on a water bottle

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

keep water weird :D

May 14, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 14, 2024

May 14, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 14, 2024

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Being called normal is practically an insult these days if you look around and see what passes as normal.
Being called weird is a compliment.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Internetjack posted:

Being called normal is practically an insult these days if you look around and see what passes as normal.
Being called weird is a compliment.

At a certain point weird becomes normal and the paradox begins

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Gentrification, OP. It means gentrification. And a lot of art studios owned by 65 year old women who paint pictures of abstract women's breasts.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When the Squares get Hip, the Hip get Square

luv2shit
May 15, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

pencilhands posted:

keep portland weird, keep austin weird, etc

what does keeping some place weird mean and have they been successful

ausländer raus

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
"Body art"

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

redshirt posted:

When the Squares get Hip, the Hip get Square

Square your hips

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Keep Carissa’s Wierd

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
What's the lifecycle of a small counterculture city?

1. Weird small town with art, drugs, and music.
2. Hobos arrive because of (song/book/movie/band)
3. Rich artists arrive driving up costs. Nobody is actually buying their stuff.
4. Wealthy children arrive because they can afford to live in the coolest places.
5. Rent becomes unaffordable from low paying service work, there's always a rich kid ready to replace you so nobody in their band figures out they live on a trust fund.
6. Rich kids make startups
7. Tech workers show up and now it's 700k for a 1000ft2 condo.
8. Everyone who was just kinda hanging on scraping by is now homeless and mingling with all the migratory druggies from #2 and it's great for society.

Am I getting it right?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Anyways, we wrote a song about it, called "Are my Options Vested"?

1,2, 3....

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it’s a slogan swingers use to identify each other op, you’re supposed to respond by asking if pineapples are in season

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

TrashMammal posted:

it means the rent is about to go up

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Keep something awful weird :pwn:

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

The rich vapid fucks have found out about [place] and the price of everything is about to triple

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Keep Manhattan Weird

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Keep Bismark Weird

Keep Des Moines Weird

Keep Salt Lake City Weird

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Cubone posted:

preserve the unique local culture especially as it differs from the broader culture of the surrounding region

This is what "Keep Austin Weird" was supposed to mean, when the population started booming in the 90's and 2000's. That, and to support local businesses and please don't move there in droves and turn the place into another bland metro like DFW or Houston.

It...... did not work. Now it's just a phrase out-of-towners say to feel "cool".

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
New Hope is still weird but its also hella expensive but kinda always has been. The gays are rich here.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

What does it mean when someone says "___ Strong"

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

When I went back home last year I saw they were selling stickers that said "Keep Spokane Kinda Gross" which is on point.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Ralph Crammed In posted:

When I went back home last year I saw they were selling stickers that said "Keep Spokane Kinda Gross" which is on point.

I used to have to go to spokane a lot when I lived in Idaho so I'll second it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

theres an instragram account called Keep Victoria Boring which is about all the old people complaining about things such as bike lanes, pickleball, the homeless, loud music, wind, etc

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

keep the subway smelling like pee

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Ralph Crammed In posted:

if it worked for this dead gay forum it can work for spokane :hmmyes:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I sincerely liked Portland's Darth Vader unicyclist and it was fun to run across him in the wild. Any Portlanders know what the golden monkey bus was about? He had a puppet in the passenger seat and made it glare at me.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
It means don't become McBrooklynTok.

How a unique, artful, interesting city gets inundated by boring rich kids and all fringes get neutralized into starbucks and target.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

keep pencilhands' posts lovely

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Spokane has has several exits from the freeway; two main turnoffs are Thor, and Freya. Its okay in my books.

But yeah, it isn't a shithole, but just a town that looks like it hasn't progressed from the 80's. It's weird.

Also Washington has legal weed. Idaho does not. This has resulted in a large number of weed shops along the border between the two state. So much so that many of the smaller, less advertised shops tend to close in a year. Thanks for the weed Spokane!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

They quit being weird when the Subgeniis moved to Austin.