Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
A loving LASER BEAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
*pew pew noises*

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If you don't use dynamite to destroy cardboard boxes you're a cuck.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You need that mini chainsaw that AvE uses to open packages.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Flamethrower

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also came here to suggest the little electric chainsaw.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Literally A Person posted:

A loving LASER BEAM

Yeah just slice them up with something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNmbvaUzC8Q

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

uwaeve posted:

Looking for an upgrade to a box cutter for breaking down cardboard boxes. I have a couple Milwaukee Fastback folding box cutters and understand the importance of fresh blades/how tough cardboard can be on blades etc. They work great! This would be an opulent unnecessary upgrade just to take care of bulk Amazon and large boxes that crap like knockdown furniture and large items like shop tools and pool filter equipment comes in. Not that I buy pool filters a lot, those are just examples of the cardboard that builds up because it has to be broken down to fit in my 96gal recycling bin or whatever. There always seems to be something big we’re buying. Looking to make big sessions less painful and annoying.

I’ve seen rotary cutters (ryobi/worx) but a little skeptical for heavier duty packaging and a little concerned they stop making what are probably extremely expensive blades for it after a couple years etc. Also at least one YouTube video shows that the blade can be bent , looks like a sort of octagonal rotary knife. Cost isn’t that big an issue but this could be over the top.

Seen mini cutoff/ circular saws, like 3”’diameter ones, idk what the blade economy is like or if they would, by their nature, blow a shitload of kerf dust everywhere.

Seen people recommend the one hand hackzall type reciprocating saws, which seems like maybe the sweet spot? Blades are comparatively expensive but again I’m not a cardboard processing company and I can see them making standard blades for a while, or if the attachment lug is the same I can just cut down long blades I guess. Looks like $2/blade when bought non-bulk, and sort of assuming the “power tool” aspect can make up for some dull blade use til I start making smoke and/or fire, as opposed to “3 boxes in the box cutter blade is really struggling.”

I haven’t seen (but I’m sure they make for specialty cutting like carpet or sheet metal or sewer membrane or some weird industry) something like powered shears, which seems like a possibility. Definitely seen powered pruning shears but the blade configuration seems to be the circle-in-crescent lopper type.

Ideally something Milwaukee makes since that’s my battery ecosystem. Lastly it doesn’t need to necessarily do a lot of “cuts per battery,” I have a rack of M12 and M18 chargers full of batteries ready to grab. Like it doesn’t need to be efficient which looks like a lot of reviews and focus on.

I do have the Texas-lbs M18 Fuel Max Pro Red Anniversary Edition Sawzall, maybe I’ll experiment just to see if the cutting works well and then it’s just a matter of going mini, but figured I’d check the hive mind. Same with having a normal circular saw, I could check with my normal sized one, but have to believe someone has tried and there’s a reason they’re not recommended.

Yes, a good sharp-bladed box cutter is probably best, but what would you use if you wanted to apply steam/coal/gasoline/coulombs to make it less of a chore to break down a lot at once? No fire, no table saw, etc.
Boxes are the enemy of our generation.

I too tried to "solve the box problem". Like others I just went back to box cutters. I tried the worx rotary tool and... I mean it can work. I think what you're trading is effort for time. It's slower than using a boxcutter, but you aren't putting as much effort into slicing it like a boxcutter. The rotary tool is also more finnicky in general about placement.

Do tell us if you get any promising results though.

Sidenote: Got one of those Slice ceramic blade box cutters at some point but now it's missing:
https://www.amazon.com/Slice-10400-Cutter-Position-Ceramic/dp/B00428M7IO/

If most of your breaking down boxes is slicing tape (So that you can fold the boxes), I think this is faster than a normal box cutter. It's faster due to ergonomics really. Get the manual one because while the automatic retraction is nice for, say, a belt tool in a work day, most of us are just finding time to process a bunch of boxes when we are forced to do it, so the automatic retraction is a pain the rear end otherwise.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I have an auto retracting utility knife that I acquired from the office, and I am on the verge of throwing it away. It constantly retracts while cutting. I hate it.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I have some potential plumbing projects coming up and unlike everything I've done up to this point I'll likely do them all in copper and hidden behind drywall so pex + sharkbites are out. I do not really have any particular desire to learn copper sweating or deal with flame tight spaces so I'd prefer to use press fittings.

Anyone have any good reason that's a terrible idea? If not, anything wrong with this tool below from Amazon or are there better options I should consider? Electric tools all seem to be over $1000, no way to justify that for DIY.

https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Hydraulic-Propress-Fittings-Included/dp/B0B5GX3NMY

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
The best box cutter is a gently caress mothering 25mm (18mm is acceptable) snap blade utility knife.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There is only one solution to the cardboard issue: https://www.wastecare.com/Products-Services/Balers/Baler_Vertical_60_ECB.htm

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I just take em out to the field, drink a few beers, and burn em. I can recommend the Ryobi battery powered ice chest for the job

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I would have one if they weren't so got damned expensive.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Elem7 posted:

I have some potential plumbing projects coming up and unlike everything I've done up to this point I'll likely do them all in copper and hidden behind drywall so pex + sharkbites are out. I do not really have any particular desire to learn copper sweating or deal with flame tight spaces so I'd prefer to use press fittings.

Anyone have any good reason that's a terrible idea? If not, anything wrong with this tool below from Amazon or are there better options I should consider? Electric tools all seem to be over $1000, no way to justify that for DIY.

Can't you just buy compression fittings that you tighten with a wrench?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

CarForumPoster posted:

louder when firing but compressors are generally loud too

Small 1-2 gallon compressors can be found that are rated around 60 dB. I love my HF Fortress one, and have seen the same sold by Kobalt. If you need a bigger one you can find a 5-gallon one from similar suspects that are only a little louder.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Elem7 posted:

Why not Pex with normal crimp fittings instead of sharkbites? A crimping tool is like $50.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

For what it's worth iWiss/iCrimp (same company) make perfectly usable wire crimpers. However, for that specific use, and for some of the more complex crimps they are ever so slightly out of spec (thinking of their molex microfit compatible crimper), good enough for my use. Probably not a huge issue with well known, relatively simple crimps like copper and pex, but something to keep in mind.

Seconding Kaiser, why not pex and crimps?

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I could use pex for portions sure, but I still need to attach to existing copper, I'm not wholesale planning to redo all my plumbing lines. Also one project I'll eventually need this for is for replacing my water heaters when they fail on me any day now. That's water heaters plural, I have multiple joined together in order to feed the house and all the current lines are hard copper which I could all redo in pex, but hell, I just think its better/looks nicer as is.

HappyHippo posted:

Can't you just buy compression fittings that you tighten with a wrench?

Maybe, but I HATE compression fittings, personally, always seem to have trouble with them when dealing with the supply lines for sinks and appliances.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 25, 2024

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've had this 19" Stanley toolbox for many years. It's a little small but has served me well. Recently, the retention clip for one of the lid comparments broke, so I figured it might be a good time to replace it and also reevaluate which unnecessary tools I can throw out. Although, I guess as long as I have space, I don't need to dispose of anything just yet.

Should I just get this 24" Husky? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-24-in-Hand-Tool-Box-in-Black-THD2015-05A/206116314 It might have enough room to store a drill/impact hammer when I eventually get one. I'd also need an organizer of some kind to replace the lid compartments:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 25, 2024

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000EDTSYW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

It's a life changing bag

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I have this one from LeeValley and love it.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/workshop/storage/tool-storage/50425-carpenters-tool-bag?item=68K4216

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I was given a bunch of used tools from a buddy about six years ago that included I think this Porter pancake air compressor. In all that time I turned it on once to air up a tire (after which I turned it off and did zero maintenance).

I’m doing some framing (2 walls in a garage) and don’t have much use for a nail gun otherwise so I bought a cheap air framing nailer from harbor freight (21 degree Banks). Reading the manual on my air compressor I see that it should’ve been emptied after use. I fired it up and it seems to work. Draining it after and opening the water valve no water came out. There’s no visible rust. Seem like this thing is safe to use?

Though it is by far the loudest goddamn thing in my garage. Way louder than my table saw. Even with ear protection it’s going to give me a headache. I dunno if neglect has made it louder or it’s just the nature of the cheap thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Cheap compressors are just loud, yeah. Even the expensive ones aren't gonna be quiet.

If there's no water in there, it's probably fine? I'm not a compressor expert though.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

my watch claims it was 109db but I dunno how accurate the watch is. It’s definitely in the vicinity of rock concert loud

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FuzzySlippers posted:

my watch claims it was 109db but I dunno how accurate the watch is. It’s definitely in the vicinity of rock concert loud

I need a compressor that knows 3 chords.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Stoatbringer posted:

That's not a drill.
This is a drill.

https://i.imgur.com/PXjg3Ez.mp4

Fumble posted:

its a hobby engine from china, youtube is full of shed men playing with them
https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-v8-engine.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.search.0

This came up in the OSHA thread and I love the term shed men enough that we should rename this thread Tool thread:shed men or shed people if its an inclusive tool thread.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Does anyone have a source for hardware assortments? Specifically looking to get a few assortments of washers and retaining clips, but I want something better than the no-name brands on Amazon since the material quality can be random, and I don't want to order a thousand from McMaster Carr

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

CarForumPoster posted:

This came up in the OSHA thread and I love the term shed men enough that we should rename this thread Tool thread:shed men or shed people if its an inclusive tool thread.

There's a Terry Pratchett book (The Sheppard's Crown I think) that has a subplot about these retired old men who are just sitting around at home getting in the way of their wives. They invent sheds as a place to go to get out of their wives' hair and keep them occupied.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Slanderer posted:

Does anyone have a source for hardware assortments? Specifically looking to get a few assortments of washers and retaining clips, but I want something better than the no-name brands on Amazon since the material quality can be random, and I don't want to order a thousand from McMaster Carr

I've had good luck with buying the big tray assortments of washers/bolts/nuts from Lowe's. The boxes are $5-10 each, and getting 2 or 3 different ones will cover a lot of sizes

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

For o rings go to an hvac supply house and get their assortment of green o rings. Those things resist everything.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

drat that's a good question actually, I've only recently had to adapt to life without the ancestral Big Bucket of Random Hardware and it's harder than I'd expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

deimos posted:

For o rings go to an hvac supply house and get their assortment of green o rings. Those things resist everything.

I have the set but havent tested it, Harbor freight has a cheap set of HNBR (Green) O Rings: https://www.harborfreight.com/205-piece-hnbr-o-ring-kit-67644.html

Slanderer posted:

Ive had good luck ordering kits/bags of electronics and hardware of HF/Amazon/eBay. Yes the quality is spurious, but there's no was I'm gonna spend $30 on some quality grade 8 poo poo I'll not use in the next year but will in the next 5 years. I've been doing a ton of home poo poo in the past 6 months and the number of times I've gotten to brag to my wife about already having the correct thing in the garage is HUGE. Its like I'm a wizard who never goes to the hardware store and gets stuff done in 1-3 hours.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 26, 2024