Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
Got 740mi of quality house-moving out of the engine before something let go in #5 or 6 below deck height. Haven't pulled it apart, but my very precise auditory measurements (holding a vuvuzela against my ear as a listening horn) indicate that a lifter or cam lobe is FUBAR. Oil went from looking like honey the previous day to being black :iiam: after limping it a couple miles home, so I'm not too jazzed about tearing it apart on Sunday.

Gonna start checking lift at each of the rockers by cranking it over with a breaker bar (spinning the oil pump with a drill, probably) and pull the head. And then listening to "Everybody Hurts" while slumped against the wall of the garage.

And the measurement assistant I hired is useless.

GET TO WORK DAMNIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well poo poo.

I'll cut you a sweet deal on the 4.0 out of the 2000. =/

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

OneOverZero posted:

Gonna start checking lift at each of the rockers by cranking it over with a breaker bar (spinning the oil pump with a drill, probably) and pull the head. And then listening to "Everybody Hurts" while slumped against the wall of the garage.
Still haven't done any of this. :v: It's been serving as poo poo storage for more than two months while I redo my basement/garage with lighting and such:

Anyone want used 120/60 and 160/60R17 Dunlops, vinyl latticework, dozens of California Raisins figurines fuckin' keeping them, a fake ficus, fallen Bradford pear branches, or countless sketchy extension cables? It contains all of these and more.

Forcing myself to get it warmed up and begin the teardown this weekend.
1) Pull valve cover
2) Pull oil pan, inspect lobes
3) Yank oil pump to have pickup properly brazed (just in case it's aerating and causing the low pressures)
4) ...and if everything checks out visually, reassemble and do a proper job of measuring valve lash this time.
5) Pick up junk 4.0 from the machine shop (had it tanked and blasted for a table)

angryrobots, I'll let you know if I need a 4.0, if you still have it. :ohdear:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Dude it's yours if you want it.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

I'm just gonna post this thing everywhere because I made a fool of myself circling it at lunch. Same color combo as mine, but ready for Pebble Beach. Haven't seen it before; based on the condition and the parking, it was probably just finished. Smudged cameraphone really doesn't do it justice.

At least I have the chrome Pioneer wheel trim rings. :v:

As for mine, I topped it off with non-ethanol 91 and some stabilizer since I've made no progress.

angryrobots posted:

Dude it's yours if you want it.
Should it come to that, I'd be eternally grateful (though please do get rid of it if it's just taking up space in the meantime). I'm really hoping it doesn't reach that point, though what little time I've spent in the truck in the last couple months isn't promising. Clatter is a little more audible than before, though the weather has improved to the point that tearing into the valvetrain doesn't seem as arduous. Fresh headgasket, intake/exhaust gaskets, and such are waiting patiently... might as well do it.

Hot idle is around 20psi (and tends to hang at 900RPM unless blipped, though that's just a sticky throttle cable), and it'll spin up to 32-34psi at 60mph/1900RPM. Really not bad, but not what my '01 will do with 110k on the clock. Checks out with a standalone gauge. Also visible, my newly-nongrounded fuel gauge and/or hosed sender, I dunno. It bounces off the stops like a metronome sometimes.

Among other things, I'm debating what to do with the leaf springs since the driver's side sags considerably (~1.5" lower), though without any apparent damage to leaves or bushings (massive first owner?). Hell Creek can supply a pair of Metric Ton springs for a little under $500, though the higher effective arching would leave the front over an inch low. The front badly needs balljoints, and I'm inclined to do those rather than swap in a friend's fresh '92 front (shares components with 4WD) if only because I have new 2WD-specific bearing and brake components. Still tempting since it needs control arm bushings regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

For what it's worth, I had a coworker years ago who was the original owner of an early or mid 90s Mazda B2300 (basically a Ranger). 4x4.

The dude tipped the scales at over 400 pounds, and he'd racked up over 300k in it with not much more than regular service, a clutch, and a rear end. The suspension made it look like it had flat tires on one side when he was in it, and only looked slightly better when he wasn't; I can only imagine how horribly it drove.

I actually bumped into him a couple of years ago, after not seeing him in over 10 years. Still at least 400 lbs, driving a late 90s/early 00s Buick instead. Buick's suspension was even more hosed.

tl;dr the PO was probably a fatass.

• Locked thread