Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
This thread is terribly anticlimactic for the time being, but I thought I’d get it ready for the engine build & swap taking place over the next two or three weeks. I’m hoping to have it and the trans installed, broken in, and ready for the drive to Barber Vintage Festival in October.

The early ‘80s marked a transition from full-sized, V8 SUVs to lighter-duty offerings based on smaller truck platforms. When Reagan took office, GM was developing the S10 Blazer and Ford the Bronco II, but American Motors lacked a truck smaller than the Eisenhower-era SJ. Only its Concord/Spirit/Gremlin-based Eagle, powered by the ‘60s-era straight six and featuring a legitimate transfer case, slotted in below the venerable CJ series; however, it lacked the capacity and capability of its larger stablemates. As such, the United States’ lit’lest automaker began work on a small SUV that retained off-road capabilities while using components common to its siblings and other manufacturers’ supply chains. This became the 1984 Jeep Cherokee (XJ), a distinctive design that mated a unibody with an integrated ladder structure - indicative of SUV design practices until the “crossover” trend neutered all the good things about everything in the early ‘00s. The XJ was perched atop a four-link “Quadralink” front and leaf-sprung rear solid axle, rounded out with driveline, steering, and control components pulled from existing Ford, GM, Peugeot, and then-parent Renault parts bins.

It's an obvious conclusion. Also, no pants.

All this effort notwithstanding, AMC still lacked a compact pickup to compete with the Ranger, S10, and increasingly-competitive Japanese counterparts. The full-sized S/J-series (underpinning the Grand Wagoneer) was twenty years old and the long-wheelbase CJ-8 “Scrambler” had failed to find a market. The solution presented itself in a common platform to be built alongside the XJ in Toledo, Ohio. By developing a high-capacity ladder-frame rear section that slotted into the XJ unibody, AMC retained almost all four-door XJ components from the B-pillar forward aside from floorpan changes required to accommodate the unusual marriage of monocoque and ladder. This Comanche (MJ) was sold in parallel with the XJ for seven model years (’86-’92) and received updates accordingly, including an updated variant of AMC’s early-‘60s straight six after the first model year. Short-wheelbase, six-foot-bed models dominated, while a seven-foot bed offered a Metric Ton payload option for 1987.

Even ads neglected to mention the available GM V6 in '86

When a newly-revived Chrysler purchased AMC for its Jeep and Eagle divisions in 1987, a step-sibling rivalry emerged between the independently-developed MJ and Dodge Dakota. Notable was the fact that “Dakota” entries in Baja were re-paneled MJs, which themselves claimed manufacturer's championship titles under the controls of Tommy & Bobby Archer and Walker Evans for SCCA and SCORE, respectively:

While nearly three million XJs would roll off the Toledo, Ohio, production line by the time US production ended in 2001 (overseas until 2006), the MJ was discontinued after the 1992 model year with less than 200,000 produced. Less than 6,000 featured the '91+ updates. As Chrysler intended to replace the aging XJ Cherokee with the larger, unrelated 1992 ZJ Grand Cherokee, it originally made financial sense to focus on the Dodge Dakota rather than produce an orphaned XJ-based truck. Ballooning sales of the XJ Cherokee cancelled Chrysler’s 1992 euthanization of the platform to the extent that it received minor changes in ’96-’97 before all manufacturing capability was shipped overseas in 2001.

I didn’t set out to find an MJ, as I’m already saturated with 4WD XJs. The plan was originally to find a ’94-’96 LT1 Roadmaster wagon, but after looking at flawless, one-owner 30k-mile examples, I couldn’t see myself actually using it for anything aside from long trips and autocross comedy. I wanted a project, not a time capsule, regardless of how smooth and suave the capsule may be.

As such, the goal was simple: find a rust-free, manual ‘87+ MJ. The ’86, whether fuel-injected 2.5L AMC I4 or godawful carbureted 90-degree 2.8L GM V6, is undesirable due a firewall incompatible with the long AMC straight six (allegedly the work of an engineer who wanted to see the six phased out). ‘89.5+ examples were preferred since they saw the addition of an Aisin AX-15 in place of the troublesome Peugeot BA-10/5. ’91/’92 models received Chrysler’s open cooling system and a much-needed electrical update, replacing the maligned Bendix/Renault “Renix” ignition system and cable-operated gauges with something befitting the nineties. The rare Renault 2.1 TD was also a strong option, but two exist in pieces spread across three continents.

Enter a rust-free 1990 2WD, short-wheelbase Comanche in Charleston, SC. With a build date a week too early to receive the Chrysler updates, it comes equipped with a knocking 4.0L and Aisin AX-15 that won’t shift when hot, but brake lines, calipers, drums, stater, alternator, exhaust, clutch, and other bits are all new - roughly $3500 of parts & labor since August 2011. The owner decided to pass it along when the engine developed a horrible top-end rattle, but remained steadfast in finding a good home dedicated to reviving the truck rather than parting it.

I promptly roped my patient girlfriend into driving my autist rear end many hours to retrieve this blue beast under the guise of fresh seafood and the beach. After picking up the truck, FSM, a thick stack receipts, and documentation from the friendliest, most helpful couple you could ever meet, I trekked off in a truck that wouldn’t shift and made single-digit oil pressures at 2500RPM. People turned and stared at the source of this racket when it passed. At best, a collapsed lifter was the sole problem; at worst, oil pump and bearing clearances had increased to the extent that the top end was starving. Solid bet on the latter.

'80s EFI can't be too bad... gently caress, vacuum lines

Radio promptly replaced with functioning OEM

Though otherwise clean, those pop-out vent windows guaranteed a surly find:

Only a few through holes... leaking MC and forty pounds of wet carpet pad didn't help.

Patched and POR-15'd

After driving the truck 2500 miles with negligible oil pressure, once adding five quarts of oil to top off the six-quart capacity (rest was in the airbox), the decision was made to pull a junkyard 1994 4.0L with an external-slave AX15 to rebuild while continuing to (ab)use the existing driveline. It made a suitable transport for the 396,000-mile donor:

Ground up the speedo cable with that weight in the bed...

Only looks to be a clean driveline

Although a friend offered me an SLP LS1 and T56 pulled from a late WS6 for a pittance, I made the poor decision to stay the AMC course with my ’94 donor driveline. :cmon: (In retrospect, the LS swap would have cost roughly the same even after Novak adapters were bought.) This itself bore a surprise, likely explaining why an XJ equipped with a new clutch was sitting in Pull-A-Part:

Not my pliers. I'm guessing they were left in there during a clutch job.

Not my carbon.

The engine was torn down and dropped off at a good machinist with the intention of using a 258 crank for a stroker. More on that later.

Around this point I gutted a junkyard XJ Limited of all its distinguishing interior & exterior bits to create a trim package that never existed. Also found a clean, matching MJ headliner.

"Chrome won't getcha home", etc. Wet spot is somehow not the rear main seal

And stripped & refurbished a nasty pair of XJ bucket seats and tilt column.

Thus far all work has been either cosmetic or only mildly mechanical, but when the year-old internal slave cylinder (the source of my shifting woes) shat itself in a USPS parking lot, the decision was made to use the external slave bellhousing and shift fork purchased previously. This is where the truck sits currently.

The plan!: channeling the spirit of the Archer brothers’ SCCA arrangement above while keeping the truck true to its daily-driver, motorcycle-totin’ roots. Throw some lower-profile tires on the 15x7" steelies and autocross it on Wednesday nights. Keep total investment under $4.5-5k.
  • The ’94 HO block (taken 0.030” over), head, crank, and blueprinted rods should be ready within the coming week. If a set of 258 rods (5.875”) can be procured, I’ll use them with a 258 crank and cast pistons to build a stroker; if not, I’ll stick with the 242 crank and rods (6.125”) to avoid the additional cost of forged, offset-wristpin pistons. Using a ‘96+ main bearing girdle and painting everything AMC engine blue. I’m going for an 8.8:1 CR and associated DCR/quench (might as well leave my induction options open). Was hoping for 250hp/320lbfts stroked, but will gladly settle for that turbo'd.
  • Open cooling system conversion is compiled and ready to go in.
  • Eliminate the nest of vacuum lines wherever possible, largely mirroring the changes Chrysler made for '91. Later models lost EGR due to a different cam grind, and I’m taking out the R12 AC system since Asheville is pretty temperate and my XJ has strong AC.
  • Mopar external slave/master cylinder will enable replacement without dropping the trans, but it’s so vastly superior to the internal arrangement (for which only Chinese replacements are available) that replacement shouldn’t be necessary for many years.
  • Dana 35 rear to be replaced with a Chrysler 8.25” with discs from a KJ Liberty. Spring perches will need to be re-welded, as the MJ is spring-under, XJ 8.25” is spring-over, and KJ 8.25 is coil spring. Axle-mounted load-sensing brake proportioning valve is getting the boot.
  • Dual-piston MC, booster, and knuckles from a WJ Grand Cherokee should improve braking and steering response tremendously, while swaybars from a V8 ZJ Grand Cherokee and some budget Monroes will reduce body roll. I do worry that I’ll incite some snap oversteer with this setup, especially since the stock MJ leaves are terribly prone to axle-wrap. The SCCA teams used fiberglas monoleaves, so I'll have to make due with a pair of steel packs I'm piecing together.

So please forgive the Jeep thread :words: leak while I get my parts in line! It's certainly not as impressive or involved as the majority of folks' projects, but I think it's a unique approach to take with an uncommon truck.

OneOverZero fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

This owns. I'll wish you good luck, but you are so organized I suspect you won't need it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The NEAI guys can tell you how I have been moaning for an MJ over the last few months. This thread is going to be really hard for me to take without checking kijiji after every sentence, especially with someone who kicks rear end at actually doing stuff at the helm.

I assume you've looked at the GRM $2010 Cherokee by now?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Even down here in south-land, I might see a couple of MJ's on the road every year.

When they pop up on Craigslist they're either beat to poo poo (and apparently worth $5k+) or ... well, beat to poo poo (and asking $8k).

Nice find, and good job keeping it all Jeep*

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
In on the ground floor, I love MJs so much I let two of them have their way with my wallet :sigh:

Keeping it 2wd or going 4wd? The WJ brake/steering swap is well documented but non trivial cost and parts/fab wise if going 4wd, but if you are staying with 2wd you can do it much simpler.

Also, those are possibly the best bucket seats Jeep ever put in anything.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
I went hog wild in here. Comanches are my favorite trucks, and this one was pulled from the jaws of death.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

A Comanche thread without talk of the worlds fastest Comanche? For shame.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12248

quote:

The worlds fastest Comanche is currently located at a Chrysler building in Michigani. It was built to show the performance of the new 4.0L engine in 1987. It set a land speed record at Bonneville of 141mph and had a top speed of 146 MPH. GM did not take this lying down and hired Gale Banks to set a record with a S15 pickup in 1989. In the 240-261 cid class, the Banks truck went 183 MPH, totally blowing away the Jeep record. Banks continued to compain trucks and came back in 1990 with the Syclone, and set a record of 201 mph with a normally aspriated V6. I believe this was in the 261-305CId class.

So who cares? why is this important? Well I don' think it is right that a Chevy V6 holds a land speed record over a Jeep I6. This is one of those things that just puts the universe a little more out of wack. I think the situation needs to be rectified. To this end i have purchased a 1989 Comanche, LWB 2wd ( 4.0 of course) AX15 trans, and Dana 44 rear axle. I am collecting parts, and am looking to build the engine, It will not be easy to compete with the Banks organazation. The record is 20 years old, and technology has improved during that time. So i think a 4.0 can be competitive. I will be building it in my garage, with money out of my pocket, and help from anyone who wants to lend a hand.

Here is a some information on the engine restrictions.

The rules state that you can run a engine form the same engine family, but it must have the same deck height as the engine that came in the vehicle originally. The
E P/MP class is limited to about 261CID, so a 258 falls in good with the rules, but a 4.0 with a larger bore and a little stroke would probably out perform a 258. Some input from the group would be appriciated. You need a whole lot of HP to go 185 MPH

I want the worlds fastest Comanche to be parked in my driveway, and the second fastest Comanche to be in Auburn hills MI.Peter Lechtanski

The Comanche also saw some action with the SCCA.

These are sweet trucks and I was hunting for one to build as a rallycross slut, but instead decided to go the boring subaru route. This looks like a great project and I hope your 4.0 build goes better than mine went.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Good luck with the build, if you ever need another set of AI hands I'm in Asheville as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

A Comanche thread without talk of the worlds fastest Comanche? For shame.

For what it's worth, the Syclone they mentioned is sitting in the museum at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway - or at least it was as of May.

Jeeps built to be quick on the street, that aren't the over-luxuried SRT8? Hell yes.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

IOwnCalculus posted:

Jeeps built to be quick on the street, that aren't the over-luxuried SRT8? Hell yes.

*ahem*

Street AND trails!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

:colbert:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I love these trucks a great deal.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ZippySLC posted:

*ahem*

Street AND trails!

What's going on with that rear wheel?

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure I'll need it when I inevitably hose something. Saw this tribute to functionality at work:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The NEAI guys can tell you how I have been moaning for an MJ over the last few months. This thread is going to be really hard for me to take without checking kijiji after every sentence, especially with someone who kicks rear end at actually doing stuff at the helm.

I assume you've looked at the GRM $2010 Cherokee by now?
Don't be tricked into thinking that I'm efficient. The seasons changed in those photos, after all!

The GRM XJ was a pretty strong inspiration to actually accomplish something. A friend drove it once a year or so ago and said it was the most fun thing at the track - I won't be going that far, obviously, but it's encouraging to see. The vee'd front is great.

kastein posted:

In on the ground floor, I love MJs so much I let two of them have their way with my wallet :sigh:

Keeping it 2wd or going 4wd? The WJ brake/steering swap is well documented but non trivial cost and parts/fab wise if going 4wd, but if you are staying with 2wd you can do it much simpler.

Also, those are possibly the best bucket seats Jeep ever put in anything.
Definitely staying 2WD if only so I don't have to find another AX-15 housing - maybe I'll find a cheap NP242 and AX, though I'm admittedly unfamiliar with the internals of Jeep TCs aside from the 231. That said, the MC/booster/frontbits swap is taking place ASAP because this poo poo blows.

:arghfist:

some texas redneck posted:

Looks like it needs some longer arms to correct the geometry.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

OneOverZero posted:

The vee'd front is great.

Do you think you'd contemplate doing something that radical?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oh AMC, how I miss you and your maddening Renault/AMC combinations.

:allears:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

CommieGIR posted:

Oh AMC, how I miss you and your maddening Renault/AMC combinations.

:allears:

At least they never put an e-carb in the Comanche.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

Not much, actually. Jeep has set the rear wheels way forward in the well on all the Grand Cherokees.

For comparison, this is a bone stock 3rd gen PR photo:

And the 1st and 2nd gen:

Supposedly it allows better travel, but it mainly looks broken and becomes problematic when you want to get a little crazy (but not crazy to the point of Sawzalling body panels).

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Molten Llama posted:

Supposedly it allows better travel, but it mainly looks broken and becomes problematic when you want to get a little crazy (but not crazy to the point of Sawzalling body panels).

Yeah. That's where it ended up after I lifted it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
My dad had one of these back in the 90s but it had the GM V6 in it and it died a rusty death in some Connecticut winter. I didn't realize they were so popular.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

rscott posted:

My dad had one of these back in the 90s but it had the GM V6 in it and it died a rusty death in some Connecticut winter. I didn't realize they were so popular.
The Chevy 2.8L V6. What a turd, especially in that truck. A two barrel carburetor and inline valves thumped out all of 110 horses on its best day. A good upgrade path if you have that engine is to drop in most of a 3.4 from a '93-95 Camaro/Firebird. You swap on your intake and accessories, plug the holes for the crank and cam sensors, I think you can even put in your stock distributor, and get ~50 hp for free. I think someone out there even makes a four barrel intake manifold, so you can put on a Quadrajet or Holley.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm reasonably certain you could find a way to make the EFI work as well if you wanted, 90s EFI is not really all that complex.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I always get irrationally excited when I see an MJ on the road, they are my favorite Jeep. Definitely looking forward to updates on this project.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

kastein posted:

I'm reasonably certain you could find a way to make the EFI work as well if you wanted, 90s EFI is not really all that complex.
Yeah, the 3.1 had throttle body injection in the Dustbuster vans and Isuzu Trooper. You could swap the TBI, computer and wiring and get better drivability.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Left Ventricle posted:

The Chevy 2.8L V6. What a turd, especially in that truck.

There were a lot of cars/trucks carrying that awful thing. Its a cockroach.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Not really a cockroach in the XJ/MJ, in fact it's quite the opposite. Those drat things are known, even famous, for spinning bearings and throwing rods well before 100k miles due to oiling issues.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

Conundrum! I forgot to ask the machinist to drill & tap for the Renix knock sensor on my HO block. Shortblock is together and ready for me to finish. Damnit. I have a feeling that this isn't wise on a headless, panless shortblock, so either I tear it back down and ask the shop to do a five-minute machine op or I find an alternate, bolt-on location.
It's (I believe) an M10x1.5 thread, probably 6h and down 10mm, located midships just above the pan. Would one of the cast motor mounts (driver's side, inboard of the isolator) be an acceptable location, vibrationally, to place a knock sensor? Or am I courting a piezoelectric disaster?

Still debating how I want to go about adapting all the '90 Renix controls to the '94 HO engine.
  • Easy way would involve '90 intake and exhaust on the HO head, giving direct compatibility for throttle body, cables, etc, but ports would be mismatched fierce (even after some Dremel action).
  • The '94 or '99 intake with HO fuel rail would mean adapting the Renix TPS onto an HO throttle body. Hesco sells the adapter for $145 or I could give it a shot myself. This approach seems the most practical.
  • Full HO OBD-I swap. Steering column, gauge cluster, ECU, full harness, brake light switch, and that. I wouldn't have to give a poo poo about the knock sensor and could drop in the '94 engine as-is, but the effort would mean a seamless integration and Chrysler ignition.
Hopefully I'll have a pile of boxes on my doorstep Friday and a fruitful OEM part search (MC/booster, rear discs, etc) on Saturday. If I get the engine together over the weekend, the hard part begins next week... along with the progress photos.

Here's a Comanche.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You generally want it toward the middle (front to back) of the block - so between cyl 3/4 on an I6.

The sensor isn't looking for vibration, it's basically a tuned microphone looking for a specific frequency resonating through the block. I'm pretty sure placing it on the motor mount will prevent it from picking up spark knock as effectively, if at all..

If you're just trying to make the ECU happy, you can probably bolt the sensor anywhere with a ground, and just be careful with your timing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Agreed. Keep it on the driver side, too, there is a lot more junk in the way on the passenger side (oil pump, cam, pushrods, etc.)

As for ways to solve your problem...
1. Tap it yourself. Will cost about 20 bucks, you need some cutting oil (its in the plumbing aisle of home depot sold as pipe cutting oil, in a 1 quart squeeze bottle) and the appropriate tap, which I think is about ten bucks, and a tap T-handle for another 5. Make sure you tap it square with the block and call it a day. This may not work out if the boss also needs to be machined flat still.
2. Put a pan on it, cover the fire deck with poly sheeting cardboard and duct tape, bring it back. Make sure he machines it flat before drill/tapping if it still a rough cast boss.
3. Switch to early HO. You will need an HO head iirc, as well as HO intake, fuel rail, all sensors, wiring, and ECU. A few specifics... I would use a 91-93/94 as it is most similar to your current setup. Auto or manual does not matter. I am reasonably certain you can use just the engine harness if you are ok with some FSM research and wire splicing at the bulkhead connector. Only difference in the gauge cluster that can't be solved by using the relevant sensors from your engine is the tach, based on some calculations I did a while ago, I am fairly certain you just need to retune your renix tach to the 4cyl spec to work with an HO ECU's tach drive signal, but cannot guarantee this till I do some experiments I haven't found time for yet. There's also the possibility that you can simply feed the renix tach the ignition coil drive signal, which is approximately the signal a true renix gives it anyways.
4. Switch to late HO. I would not do this unless you really like headaches or don't care about your tach working. A 96 donor is about the latest I would go, and even that is pushing it unless you really love customizing wiring harnesses.

Use the oil pressure and water temp sensors that go with your jeep, every other sensor should go with the ECU/harness.

If you like the 96 and later belt tensioner style more, now's your time. Substitute a 96 manifold, tensioner, and power steering pump (possibly also a 96 PS pressure hose), and delete the idler on the fan bracket just south of the ac compressor. You will need to dremel a timing indicator off the timing cover to clear the belt path, or use a timing cover off a 96 and later motor.

I would probably either use a 93/94 or 96 donor, or get the block tapped, unless you can do it yourself. The knock sensor isn't overly important unless you are pushing the limits of compression/timing with the grade of fuel you are using, I know many renix XJers who simply taped it off and left the connector hanging after breaking the sensor or swapping a new motor in.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

I dusted off a tap and was prepared to risk disaster... moot point, as a block cast February 9, 1994, and machined shortly thereafter was already prepared for a 1/2-20 knock sensor killed off for the '91 model year. Unexpected yet appreciated. I'm guessing the block's CNC program wasn't changed until the '96 NVH casting updates showed up a dozen or so months later. As someone who does GD&T schemes all day long, I shouldn't be surprised that nobody likes changing machine drawings.

I'd be curious to see the voltage curve for that sensor. The few replacements listed online haven't provided any data points. Gives something interesting to do if I can get ahold of a shaker table! I'm guessing that the motor mount would have shifted the frequency signature upward.

As such, I'm sticking with '94 block, head, intake/exhaust, fuel rail, and throttle body with the Renix TPS grafted on (maybe '96 intake for the tensioner if the junkyard provides). Renix flywheel for the CPS and Renix-era Motorcraft distributor should leave all signals accounted for. Pulled one of the galley plugs for the coolant temp sensor.

Time to spend the rest of my evening tracing through three inches of '87 electrical manual.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Cool! IIRC it's just a high-impedance piezo type knock sensor, basically a hard mounted piezo microphone.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I want one of these drat trucks!!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

OneOverZero posted:

I'd be curious to see the voltage curve for that sensor. The few replacements listed online haven't provided any data points. Gives something interesting to do if I can get ahold of a shaker table! I'm guessing that the motor mount would have shifted the frequency signature upward.

If you really want to experiment, I have an extra ebay knock sensor that you're more than welcome to. It's meant for a Nissan, but I would think most of them work fairly similarly. I can snag a sub-harness/plug for it next time I'm at the junkyard (this weekend). Just cover the cost of postage + padded envelope.

Though I don't think a shaker table will do much.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Eh, this is R/C but gently caress it. My old Jeep Comanche 1/10 scale. I have a second one being painted now.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Eh, this is R/C but gently caress it. My old Jeep Comanche 1/10 scale. I have a second one being painted now.

Your baby mj is awesome.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

Post more of that li'l truck. I wanted to make an XJ/MJ pair a while back, but I just need some more incentive. :allears:

What do you do when a engine needs transportation and your only tiedown-equipped vehicle is out of commission? Borrow a friend's '90 MJ, separated at birth by a few days.

It's the next link in the chain - the engine from my truck will be rebuilt in largely the same way and dropped in this'un with an external slave swap. Fourth 4.0L pull in as many months? Hell, maybe that one should go into an Eagle. Aside from being 4WD, his truck is largely what I'm going for in terms of mechanical updates. We noticed some... accelerated blowby and head gasket leakage on the way back from the junkyard, so these rebuilds are right on time. Hopefully he'll hop in on this thread as well.

Picked up a MC/booster from a '04 WJ with 34k, though I left all the good front suspension bits since I wasn't immediately familiar with what I needed. Should've brushed up before I left. Hopefully they don't go anywhere before Saturday (likewise for the KJ 8.25). The engine is coming along nicely:

0.030" over, balanced rear end'y with ARP rod bolts, Cloyes double-roller timing, otherwise pretty standard. I wasn't entirely on-board with the head gasket and cork valve cover gasket that came in the rebuild kit, so I'm waiting on some Fel-Pro pieces (copper seemed unnecessary for the time being). VC, timing cover, oil pan, and intake should all be tanked and ready for paint tomorrow - hopefully I don't incur bad karma by painting it a shade that isn't quite AMC canon (Chrysler engine blue is more readily available, who knew).

That said, the '94 valve cover has a pair of baffles underneath the breathers, each sealed by a metallic gasket, while the '96 has a plate that spans the top of the cover. I'm moving forward with the '94 for the time being. Grommets ahoy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I believe you want to go with the valve cover that matches the year of the head you use - not entirely sure, compare the valve cover bolt pattern and gasket surface/shape before installing. I know the stamped vs cast covers use different gaskets but not sure how cover swaps year to year work out.

FWIW I prefer the earlier cast cover, with its 90 degree cam style oil cap and lack of grommets over the later stamped cover with the grommets and failure prone ratcheting plastic threaded cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

My understanding has been that valve covers are interchangeable between years (at least among HO, and HO VC on Renix head) so long as you use the corresponding gasket - head machining should accept it regardless. (Never changed the gaskets on my '98 or '01, but I imagine they're similar if not the same throughout the HO era.) I guess I'll find out soon enough.

That said, I did already goof by buying '94 grommets and PCV valves, which will completely throw off idle speed dictated by the 1.6mm orifice in the '90.

• Locked thread