Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
There is exactly one theater in all of New England showing it, thankfully they're doing separate showings of the dub and sub version, and they're only a short red line ride away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

RMZXAnarchy posted:

R Movie Theatrical run is set for January. Excited to be able to go see it since a nearby theater is showing it! :dance:

Really hoping they don't run out of whatever special gift there is before the showing but otherwise super hyped.

Sadly, the only area near me and my fiancee is in Boston, which is terrible if only because of the longass drive, just to see Sailor Moon R. We might just do it though regardless.

Also, on the topic of Drops, any one here have any thoughts in regards to the survey released last week?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I'm glad to see I won't be the only goon huffing out to Boston to go see magical teenage anime girls in HD.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
More Crystal is on the way. Though when this will air and what exactly are they doing is still unknown. Presumably they'll adapt at least Dream, maybe even Stars as well.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I wouldn't be suprised if SMC 3 only does Dream and then a forth and final season for Stars happens in '18 (Though yhey might use the bonus chapters for OVA stuff, I dunno).

Once we get to stars though all bets are off and we can get all Higuarshi up on this :unsmigghh:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
My wife and I got to see the R movie at the Grand Illusion in Seattle. The movie was a lot more campy then I remember but it was a good time had by all. I was happy that the cleaned up quality looks great and was originally worried that it would go by the way of the TV episodes. But with the new info we now know why the Viz copies are crap. They're releasing season box sets on bluray for the first two seasons of the 90s anime this year in Japan. Also supposedly they're bringing the musical to the States though I'm not sure where or how they're going to manage that.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Oh poo poo its the 25th anniversary this year? Could have fooled me, the 20th anniversary went on for the last 5 years so I totally forgot.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Revolver Bunker posted:

My wife and I got to see the R movie at the Grand Illusion in Seattle. The movie was a lot more campy then I remember but it was a good time had by all. I was happy that the cleaned up quality looks great and was originally worried that it would go by the way of the TV episodes. But with the new info we now know why the Viz copies are crap. They're releasing season box sets on bluray for the first two seasons of the 90s anime this year in Japan. Also supposedly they're bringing the musical to the States though I'm not sure where or how they're going to manage that.

It's happening at Houston's Anime Matsuri in april.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's happening at Houston's Anime Matsuri in april.

Are they going to fly the whole Troupe and set pieces out to Houston? Or will it be like those fathom events where you get to watch a broadcast of the musical?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I wouldn't be suprised if SMC 3 only does Dream and then a forth and final season for Stars happens in '18 (Though yhey might use the bonus chapters for OVA stuff, I dunno).

Once we get to stars though all bets are off and we can get all Higuarshi up on this :unsmigghh:

SMC3 already happened.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

SMC3 already happened.

Toei can label it however they want but Dream will be season 3 whether they like it or not.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
yeah I still call the first 26 as one season as it was announced that way.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Got a chance to go see R The Movie in a local theater, even though I thought it would be gone by now. It was weirdly cropped/zoomed, to the point that you couldn't see any of their feet in their transformation poses. Did anyone else notice that, or was it just my theater?

Also, the Q&A beforehand was completely awful and just made it that much harder to make it through the short/clip show attached to the movie.

Good times, though.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
I don't want to be THAT person but was it subbed or dubbed?

My friend invited me to see Digimon Tri in our local theatre because I love Digimon so much and it was dubbed and I was so sad. I want to be mentally prepared for more crushing disappointment. :smith:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Cheese Pain posted:

I don't want to be THAT person but was it subbed or dubbed?

My friend invited me to see Digimon Tri in our local theatre because I love Digimon so much and it was dubbed and I was so sad. I want to be mentally prepared for more crushing disappointment. :smith:

It was dubbed. Kind of the whole reason for this limited release is Viz's acquisition of the rights and their new dub.

It's not a bad dub, really. But the voices are far too loud compared to the rest of the soundtrack (maybe they didn't have audio masters and only had a pre-mixed dialogue-free track?) and there are some parts that just really don't sound quite right in English, but that's subjective.

edit: Though they ARE showing it subbed in some locations as well. The closest theater showing the sub was over 3 hours away, instead of 15 minutes, so

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

It was dubbed. Kind of the whole reason for this limited release is Viz's acquisition of the rights and their new dub.

It's not a bad dub, really. But the voices are far too loud compared to the rest of the soundtrack (maybe they didn't have audio masters and only had a pre-mixed dialogue-free track?) and there are some parts that just really don't sound quite right in English, but that's subjective.

edit: Though they ARE showing it subbed in some locations as well. The closest theater showing the sub was over 3 hours away, instead of 15 minutes, so

That's too bad. I understand the reasoning, but I just prefer the original dialogue. It's not really a case of "preserving my authentic animu" or anything, I just honestly find dub actors really bad and I've never watched a dub I liked.

Same with Fire Emblem Birthright/Conquest on 3DS, I was super bummed they removed the JP dialogue option so I have to listen to over delivered or totally flat garbage lines. I would actually welcome any good dub recommendations to see if there's anything out there that could soften my opinion that dubs are always terrible.

Anyway, I'm still excited to go see R with my friends, and I need to remember that the Sailor Moon I fell in love with at 13 was dubbed and I should just enjoy magical girls.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Still personally believe Makoto's VA is the best performance in the new dub. I even got my boyfriend to agree that the dub was actually good (he thought Usagi and Mamoru were the weakest VAs though.)

I dunno, but she sounds like the kind of dashing girl who you would want to lift you off of your feet as she carried you to a romantic homemade dinner. :syoon:

How was the situation for your art cards? My theater did a piss poor job shuffling and both me and my boyfriend ended up with Mercury, he was able to trade off for Moon and using that he was able to get me Jupiter. I think maybe one person got Venus and I never saw a Mars.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ALFbrot posted:

That's too bad. I admit it, Moon Revenge is my favorite Sailor Moon song.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Cheese Pain posted:

I would actually welcome any good dub recommendations to see if there's anything out there that could soften my opinion that dubs are always terrible.

If you're ok with a silly and perverted series, look up Golden Boy. That is a really good dub, completely carried by the lead VA.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Still personally believe Makoto's VA is the best performance in the new dub. I even got my boyfriend to agree that the dub was actually good (he thought Usagi and Mamoru were the weakest VAs though.)

I dunno, but she sounds like the kind of dashing girl who you would want to lift you off of your feet as she carried you to a romantic homemade dinner. :syoon:

How was the situation for your art cards? My theater did a piss poor job shuffling and both me and my boyfriend ended up with Mercury, he was able to trade off for Moon and using that he was able to get me Jupiter. I think maybe one person got Venus and I never saw a Mars.

Art cards??

I guess I should say that the situation for art cards was "nonexistent" at my theater :(

And yeah, I though Makoto's VA was the best and had the most personality.

Torrannor posted:

That's too bad. I admit it, Moon Revenge is my favorite Sailor Moon song.
Well, it is pretty much the best one, no shame there. And it's not like it's quiet, it's just not mixed as prominently as the voices.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ALFbrot posted:

The "It's all over. He threw a flower at me..." line was comedic gold.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

RMZXAnarchy posted:

My wife and I got Sailor Moon and Sailor Mercury for our blind envelopes. Looking around at the time most were those and I saw a few Sailor Venus and maybe 2 Sailor Jupiter. No Mars at all. We lucked out and a friend of ours was able to get an additional blind envelope for us and we got Mars; which is my wife's favorite scout. Things seemed to really lean on Moon and Mercury for our theater.

Strange Quark posted:

In the subbed that's the exact line that he uses and its wonderful. :allears: The look of :negative: when that happens is very shoujo manga and I love it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I got Jupiter for my art card. Our crowd was pretty good, too. Sold out shows for both the sub and the dub (I went to the dub one). THere were even some cosplayers!

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

If you're ok with a silly and perverted series, look up Golden Boy. That is a really good dub, completely carried by the lead VA.

Thank you, I will check that out! I like Ranma 1/2, so silly perverted is fine with me. Come to think of it, I actually liked the Ranma dub just fine. It's a show where being silly and over dramatic pays off.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

ALFbrot posted:

Well, it is pretty much the best one, no shame there. And it's not like it's quiet, it's just not mixed as prominently as the voices.

Excuse me, but La Soldier. :colbert:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Revolver Bunker posted:

My wife and I got Sailor Moon and Sailor Mercury for our blind envelopes. Looking around at the time most were those and I saw a few Sailor Venus and maybe 2 Sailor Jupiter. No Mars at all. We lucked out and a friend of ours was able to get an additional blind envelope for us and we got Mars; which is my wife's favorite scout. Things seemed to really lean on Moon and Mercury for our theater.

Get the vibe you went to the exact same theater we went to. It was almost all Moon and Mercury for us too.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Cheese Pain posted:

Thank you, I will check that out! I like Ranma 1/2, so silly perverted is fine with me. Come to think of it, I actually liked the Ranma dub just fine. It's a show where being silly and over dramatic pays off.

Slayers also has a really good dub that equals if not surpasses the sub in some parts. And that's with me liking subs more often. Funimation has the full episodes on youtube albeit at 360p but given that its original aired in 4:3 it's not a huge quality loss. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSC4nCa6Qw4

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Get the vibe you went to the exact same theater we went to. It was almost all Moon and Mercury for us too.

We went to the Grand Illusion in Seattle for the January 22nd showing. Theater was nice and I'd go their more often if I didn't live so far from it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm in Seattle and wasn't paying attention and i missed it. :(

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Revolver Bunker posted:

We went to the Grand Illusion in Seattle for the January 22nd showing. Theater was nice and I'd go their more often if I didn't live so far from it.

Guess it was a common incident, I went to the Marcus Theatre in Oakdale Minnesota.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

a kitten posted:

I'm in Seattle and wasn't paying attention and i missed it. :(

Here is a list of all the planned theater sites. There are a couple of theaters in the Puget Sound that are still pending in showing it. http://www.elevenarts.net/sailormoon/

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Quick, dumb question: Do any of you happen to know an episode that includes a good shot of the Shrine where Rei lives?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

Context?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

That's villain being crushed that his friend (coughs) Mamoru as Tuxedo Mask threw a flower at him.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

That's villain being crushed that his friend (coughs) Mamoru as Tuxedo Mask threw a flower at him.

No I get that but I don't remember him having such an off reaction to it.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

No I get that but I don't remember him having such an off reaction to it.

He said the line entirely seriously, the problem is its such a goddamn corny line.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Saw the movie on Wednesday. It was actually a pretty solid dub and my friends and I had a lot of fun!

R is still my least favorite of the movies but I didn't remember a drat thing about it so it was like a brand new movie to me. I think I liked it a littler more this time than when I was a teenager.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Dusting this off.

All of S is available stateside, Crystal Season III is due to have a release date announced for its US release.

As for the Japanese side of things...

Dream arc for Sailor Moon Crystal's been announced, its going the route of Evangelion or Persona 3 and getting two movies instead of a TV series.

Not really sure why this is, but the same director from S3 is returning. So hopefully the artstyle remains intact.

I just don't understand why this couldn't be done for Stars and have S4 just be a regular, if short, season. Not ruling out the possibility I guess but its strange for them to do this in the middle as opposed to saving theatrical for the VERY final piece.

Oh, and other than that thing I posted there's been no dates or images shown.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Maybe the Digimon Tri model proved lucrative and decided it was better than continuing things on whatever shoe-string budget they got going?

Crystal is a clusterfuck no matter what and maybe changing formats might improve things a tiny bit, who really knows at this point.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Being Mahou and Chosen Child is suffering beyond suffering.

I know it will never happen but I just want Toei to laugh on the other side on their face for any one of their innumerable boners.

Or a Super Heroine Chronicle running on the SRWV engine with Sailor Moon and Nanoha as the Mazinger and Getter Robo analogues with the last non OG Boss being Chaos and Homura, one or the other.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 2, 2017

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I... what? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

ConanThe3rd posted:

Being Mahou and Chosen Child is suffering beyond suffering.

I know it will never happen but I just want Toei to laugh on the other side on their face for any one of their innumerable boners.

Or a Super Heroine Chronicle running on the SRWV engine with Sailor Moon and Nanoha as the Mazinger and Getter Robo analogues with the last non OG Boss being Chaos and Homura, one or the other.

good point

• Locked thread