Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

It's happening guys

20 years ago (or there about), Naoko Takeuchi began the seminal magical girl manga, Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon. Because it's the 20th anniversary, we're getting an all new reboot!

Here's what we know:

It's still happening! The series, now known as New Sailor Moon Crystal is coming out this July in every language on NicoNico. Whether or not this is a sign from God has yet to be seen.

This thread is for all the stupid fan poo poo about Sailor Moon, like this: Sailor Jupiter is the best Sailor. Deal with it. :colbert:

Have an idea about how to make this OP better? PM or email me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5txHGxJRwtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCC_-1gVE5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iMcg9hLw0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjiJkt0m9pE

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

I want you to meet my little friend, Mister Stabby!
I still have the whole original series on DVD to tide me over til then, minus the infamous beach episode.

The only thing I heard about the delay was that they couldn't decide who the marketing was aimed at. Original fans? Little kids? Middle aged men?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Is it true that the new Tuxedo Mask will wear a fedora? I used to want to be just like him when I was a young boy. Maybe now he'll be a goony goon, and I can aim low instead of high.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Can't have a Sailor Moon thread without including the best version of the OP: Deutsches!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

AnacondaHL posted:

Can't have a Sailor Moon thread without including the best version of the OP: Deutsches!

That's going in the OP.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neptune is the best scout, sorry.

I'm really looking forward to the remake, even if it seems to be slipping further and further away from being released in a reasonable timeframe.

Die Laughing posted:

Is it true that the new Tuxedo Mask will wear a fedora? I used to want to be just like him when I was a young boy. Maybe now he'll be a goony goon, and I can aim low instead of high.
I don't think any design changes or new designs have been shown, and I'm not sure why they'd change Tuxedo Mask's design at all. It's kind of iconic, and unlike the gloriously 90s fashion of the girl's casual outfits, it's pretty timeless.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ascetic Crow posted:

This thread is for all the stupid fan poo poo about Sailor Moon, like this: Sailor Jupiter is the best Sailor. Deal with it. :colbert:

You have great taste.

Amarie posted:

I still have the whole original series on DVD to tide me over til then, minus the infamous beach episode.

The only thing I heard about the delay was that they couldn't decide who the marketing was aimed at. Original fans? Little kids? Middle aged men?

Been a while since I've watched the series. What's up with the beach episode?

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008
Oh god, I can't wait! All the new toys that will be made that I can actually buy because I'm now old enough to have a job!

I'm gonna say Sailor Mars is the best soldier. I love bitchy characters.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

I'm really pleased with the merchandise that's being put out recently. So far, my favorites are a powder compact based of Sailormoon's second brooch, a nail polish kit based off of the transformation sticks, and rings based of another brooch.

I think you can order them through yesasia or jlist, but of course they are all crazy expensive. I can sit here and drool over them though. :colbert: Here's a link with a bunch of other merch, too. I might shell out some money for one of those phone cases, some of them are really cute!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

My favorite is the Sailor Moon towel

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

I want you to meet my little friend, Mister Stabby!

Dexie posted:

Been a while since I've watched the series. What's up with the beach episode?

The episode was left out of the "uncut" DVD boxset of the second season which was released by ADV. At first, the reason was given by ADV representatives that "the creator did not like it," however, it turned out that ADV had obtained their masters from DiC, who apparently lacked the episode master themselves.

source: http://wikimoon.org/index.php?title=The_Sea!_An_Island!_Vacation!_The_Senshi_Relax

Sorry for just copy/pasting that reply, but my migraine's getting worse and it's hard to type without a ton of typos. Hope that helps.

Amarie fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 16, 2013

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
What I liked about Sailor Moon was that unlike most magical girls, Usagi was generally a terrible human being. She only became selfless super lady on occasion, usually towards the end of seasons, but usually she was a selfish, lazy, gluttonous, hyper-competitive brat, especially when it dealt with Rei or Chibi-Usa.

Most other magical girls will have one or two bad qualities, but generally were sunny, friendly people. Usagi was genuinely none of that, and was not the most ideal role model for young kids watching this show.

And that's what made her awesome.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good guides for watching Sailor Moon? I didn't watch it much as a kid so I'm basically going in fresh, are there any highlights I should check out first or should I just soldier through?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Ascetic Crow posted:

The theme song will be the original, but sung by Momoiro Clover Z (some lovely idol group, whatever).

This is actually an unknown. While its true Momoiro Clover Z is singing the new OP, it was never stated whether or not it will be the old song or a new one. I'd say its more likely to be a new song.

Here's some more (great) dub music for the OP - an insert song from the English dub by Stan Bush of animated Transformers movie fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wpIpxJsJkY

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Go Sailor Jupiter! Kick rear end and wear rose earrings while doing it! :)

I got into the show when I was 14 and one day decided to watch the sub version after reading MSTings of bad Sailor Moon fic.

...I still cry at the end of Episode 45. :smith:

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Momoiro Clover Z is (or at least markets themselves as) an anti-idol group and has a neat gimmick at least. Don't knock 'em.

And the best Sailors are the Starlights. Trans Senshi princes :hellyeah:.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Devil Tesla posted:

Are there any good guides for watching Sailor Moon? I didn't watch it much as a kid so I'm basically going in fresh, are there any highlights I should check out first or should I just soldier through?

Read the manga. Seriously, the manga is fantastic, and you can get a box set in English for cheap.

Make sure you watch the anime, both in Japanese and in English. I recommend watching the English, because it's really bad. Even as a kid, I remember thinking that the acting was terrible (I really like Sailor Jupiter, but Jesus Christ her voice actor was horrible.)

DO NOT WATCH OR READ ANYTHING ELSE. That way lies madness.

No, I don't care how great the musicals and light novels are.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

There aren't any light novels as far as I know, the musicals are in fact great, and you forgot about the live action!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

aers posted:

There aren't any light novels as far as I know, the musicals are in fact great, and you forgot about the live action!

Maybe I was thinking about the regular novels?

Anyway, due to some anime Heisenberg poo poo, a Sailor Moon light novel now exists

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
The Momoiro Clover Z thing has me worried that they're going to target this to more of an otaku audience. I don't really see the point in using a group whose gimmick is appealing to anime otaku otherwise I guess. Hopefully I'm wrong and worrying over nothing.

Oh well at least new Sailor Moon means we get new episodes of the superior show: Tuxedo Mask.

busydelicious
Jan 5, 2009

they call it chivalry
never pull a punch for free
I can only hope that Sailor Saturn gets some decent screen time. Canonically, aren't her powers the only ones that are on par with that of Sailor Moon herself?

Also, just out of curiosity, how many of you guys bought the recently re-released manga translation of Sailor Moon? You think purchasing power in the west at all influenced the new series or no?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2tQKejS9Fo pssha :colbert:

Catching this show as a little kid was the... weirdest experience compared to everything else on the likes of Cartoon Network.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
I refuse to see the English opening without its proper video. Please update the OP with the correct one, thanks!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think I first watched this when I was three. I still have no idea what any of this is about, so I guess now's as good at time as any. :v:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Keyboard Kid posted:

I refuse to see the English opening without its proper video. Please update the OP with the correct one, thanks!

In that case, this is clearly the correct Japanese opening (jump to about :41 for the interesting part).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn-AcYvCzF0

for every occasion
Jun 25, 2013
I remember watching one episode of Sailor Moon as a 9-year old in Germany, and being mesmerised. This was perhaps my first introduction into the amazing insane world of anime. I couldn't understand a thing what was going on at the time, but just seeing a cartoon character shout: "Macht der Mondnebel, Macht auf!!!" only to transform into a magical girl while being accompanied by a killer orchestra, gave me such an adrenaline rush as a kid. That sequence was enough to keep me waking up at 5 AM in the morning the hopes of catching another glimpse of this show. I would never see another Sailor Moon episode again.

Oh, and this.

AnacondaHL posted:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ascetic Crow posted:

Read the manga. Seriously, the manga is fantastic, and you can get a box set in English for cheap.

Make sure you watch the anime, both in Japanese and in English. I recommend watching the English, because it's really bad. Even as a kid, I remember thinking that the acting was terrible (I really like Sailor Jupiter, but Jesus Christ her voice actor was horrible.)

DO NOT WATCH OR READ ANYTHING ELSE. That way lies madness.

No, I don't care how great the musicals and light novels are.

aers posted:

Okay now I'm just more confused :psyduck:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I've done nothing but watch dumb 70s/80s super robot/mecha shows for the past several years, because I really lost a lot of interest in other genres of anime that either aren't things that'll show up in Super Robot Wars or straight up gag shows like Galaxy Angel and Cromartie High School. That being said, I think I can at least give this new show a cursory look since nostalgia and all. Plus, I remember being 13 or so and having a big ol' dumb crush on Ami Mizuno. Now I'm 30 and I have a big ol' dumb crush on Gunbuster (not Noriko, just Gunbuster).

My username will forever be scarred with the reference to Sailor Mercury. I should mash :allears: with :negative: somehow.

And in retrospect, maybe Makoto was the best character, I dunno. I tend to rate characters based on how hot-blooded and badass they are/could potentially be these days. Maybe somebody more familiar with her can fill me in on the details because I don't remember much.

aers posted:

In that case, this is clearly the correct Japanese opening (jump to about :41 for the interesting part).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn-AcYvCzF0

I actually own this game. Oh yeah, and I own a 3DO. :retrogames: It's a decent enough Street Fighter clone. When you get the "Continue" screen, Tuxedo Mask starts rambling on about something but I forget what it was because every goddamn time I hear it all I can hear is Amuro.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 16, 2013

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

Okay now I'm just more confused :psyduck:

The live action is...special, and has cheap production-values (both of which becomes crystal clear the moment Luna appears as a plushie). However, it's still worth checking out if you're interested because the cast meshes really well. Especially Keiko Kitagawa is amazing (in general, and as Rei specifically).

I've heard a lot of good things about the various musicals, but I can't say musicals are really my cup of tea so I never checked them out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AnacondaHL posted:

I watched so many episodes of Sailor Moon in German, even though it was virtually incomprehensible to my secondary school level knowledge of the language.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
When I was a little girl, maybe two anime shows existed in my world: DBZ and Sailor Moon. They were diametrically opposed to each other. DBZ was COOL and AWESOME and had GUYS YELLING AND EXPLODING and Sailor Moon was stupid girly show that was too girly for me. It was so lame and girly that I never bothered to figure out what it was about beyond stupid girly magical girl transformations and Queen Serenity and what the hell was up with that annoying child??

Little kid me was a dumbass. By the time I decided to take another look at the show, Sailor Moon was out of print and off the air. I'm genuinely pumped to see a remake.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Viola the Mad posted:

When I was a little girl, maybe two anime shows existed in my world: DBZ and Sailor Moon. They were diametrically opposed to each other. DBZ was COOL and AWESOME and had GUYS YELLING AND EXPLODING and Sailor Moon was stupid girly show that was too girly for me. It was so lame and girly that I never bothered to figure out what it was about beyond stupid girly magical girl transformations and Queen Serenity and what the hell was up with that annoying child??

Little kid me was a dumbass. By the time I decided to take another look at the show, Sailor Moon was out of print and off the air. I'm genuinely pumped to see a remake.

This is the opposite of me. This may tell you more about me, but when I was a little boy, I was like, "Anime dudes yelling and fighting? No sir, give me the show with girls chasing boys and gossiping!"

Then I got enthralled by Rurouni Kenshin and I was all aboard the Japan train.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

busydelicious posted:

Also, just out of curiosity, how many of you guys bought the recently re-released manga translation of Sailor Moon? You think purchasing power in the west at all influenced the new series or no?

I bought the 6 volume set and while I have no idea if it influenced anything or not, it completely owns and everyone should pick it up. I've been holding out for another box for the next volumes, but I think I might cave and just buy them individually. Here's what I said about it over in another thread:

a kitten posted:

Finally getting around to reading the new(ish) publishing of Sailor Moon. It's actually even better than I thought it was going to be and moves way faster than I was expecting; I'm only on Volume 3 and they just took out Queen Beryl.

Her art ranges from "pretty good" to "completely incredible" and a lot of the page and panel layouts are amazing. And while her character designs don't have much to do with anything resembling actual anatomy (it's like 70% leg/15% hair/14% eyeball/1% everything else) everything is really expressive and fun just to look at.

Have you all seen the footage of the proposed US remake? It's uh, something else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3scSHk4h2g&t=111s
skip to about 1:50 if you want to skip the intro

I'm not sure if it misses the mark quite as much as the Doozy Bots, but it comes drat close.

Bonus Sailor Moon references from Gunbuster

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

I'll admit that I'm not a Ph.D. in Animeology but I think part of what's so appealing about Sailor Moon is that it's just a ridiculous show visually with all the wacky cartoon physiology that doesn't seem to exist as much in modern anime.

Like it doesn't seem you get a lot of stuff like that gif or this anymore:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Naw, that sort of thing is definitely still around.

Sudden shifts into absurd animation jokes are one of the reasons I started getting into anime in the first place, so I'm very glad that it still happens.

I'm definitely looking forward to the new series. The original anime suffers from some pacing issues in a big way, it takes like 11 episodes before Ami even shows up as Sailor Mercury, for someone who is used to the way more modern shows are paced it make it hard to want to keep watching. Don't get me wrong, it's fine for a kids show to have endless episodes of "bad guy does something (probably involving jewelry), eventually Sailor Moon throws a tiara at him and wins", but for a viewer used to cliffhanger after cliffhanger it can sometimes drag.

The manga however just hurls itself along at a breakneck pace, so I hope that the upcoming version sticks a bit more closely to it. Assuming it's a remake at all and not some new thing entirely.

edit: it's still totally worth watching! Just something to keep in mind for new viewers maybe.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 17, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

For me at least, the appeal is the characters. Like they're kind of cartoon stereotypes in a way but their interactions are really fun and they develop enough to have a lot of life to them.

Usagi and Rei have basically the best dynamic ever, too. They're kind of assholes to each other and somehow that makes them really believable friends.

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012

a kitten posted:

The manga however just hurls itself along at a breakneck pace, so I hope that the upcoming version sticks a bit more closely to it. Assuming it's a remake at all and not some new thing entirely.

I'm probably the weirdo in this thread but this honestly wrecked the manga for me. The pacing is absolutely horrendous, I didn't feel like I cared about any of the characters because they usually said two lines an arc and donating to the Super Sailor Moon Spirit Bomb or whatever. It's kinda disappointing, because the Codename Sailor V manga is actually pretty well done (if equally as silly)

The art was nice, though?

I hope Sailor Moon continues to truck along as a gay icon series though, that's probably one of the best bits.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Some knowledge for you all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PmrmNeEOSw

Edit:

Endorph posted:

For me at least, the appeal is the characters. Like they're kind of cartoon stereotypes in a way but their interactions are really fun and they develop enough to have a lot of life to them.

Usagi and Rei have basically the best dynamic ever, too. They're kind of assholes to each other and somehow that makes them really believable friends.
I'd say it's good because Usagi actually acts like a 14-year-old would. She's bratty, impatient, insufferable, just like we all were at that age.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 17, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ascetic Crow posted:

This is the opposite of me. This may tell you more about me, but when I was a little boy, I was like, "Anime dudes yelling and fighting? No sir, give me the show with girls chasing boys and gossiping!"

Then I got enthralled by Rurouni Kenshin and I was all aboard the Japan train.

I was the little dude who liked both. :colbert:

My memory from when I was 3 is a little fuzzy though, can another goon tell me what was so bad about the voices? Up here in Canada the ones I really remembered were seasons 4 and 5 which (I think?) kept the original music and seemed pretty decent? At the least I remember hearing we got the least insufferable Mini-Moon so. :v:

Also Doctor Tomoe was the scariest motherfucker in a kids tv show. I feel a lot of shows just forget how scary the dark and the things we don't see are to a little kid and fail to employ it. Tomoe was twice as scary as Beryl or those two aliens were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
:allears: Oh I just love this series. It's idealistic as gently caress but timeless and something I'd show my little nieces if there was a dub that wasn't terrible.

busydelicious posted:

Also, just out of curiosity, how many of you guys bought the recently re-released manga translation of Sailor Moon?

Already bought the entire rerelease of the manga over here (and even though there are a bunch of mistakes in it, it's satisfactory). I'm hyped as hell and glad to own it because I missed out the Mixx/Tokyopop print run. Might even buy the upcoming artbooks depending on the content.

Is the remake confirmed to air this fall or is it pushed back for 2014? Also I hope they adapt everything and don't do just the first arc like the live action version did. Speaking of that...

Insurrectionist posted:

The live action is...special, and has cheap production-values (both of which becomes crystal clear the moment Luna appears as a plushie). However, it's still worth checking out if you're interested because the cast meshes really well. Especially Keiko Kitagawa is amazing (in general, and as Rei specifically).

It's also pretty drat campy and fun and takes some... interesting directions with this series.

I also hope Sailor V gets some kind of animated adaptation. It would fit well as a series of OVAs since it's on the short side.

And Sailor Uranus for best solider, but I liked the entire cast (sans ChibiUsa which I had a love/hate reaction to).

• Locked thread