Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Chrono Ark 1.0 is finally out. If anyone still remembers what that is.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1188930/Chrono_Ark/

The bikiniwear DLC is "coming soon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Chrono Ark 1.0 is finally out. If anyone still remembers what that is.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1188930/Chrono_Ark/

The bikiniwear DLC is "coming soon".

Oh snap! Looking forward to giving this another spin, the earlier updates kind of death-of-1k-cuts'd me so I dropped it for a while.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Pigbuster posted:

I kinda like the FTL final boss because of how it's the same every time, so runs become a matter of putting together a kit that can handle its most dangerous parts, and that kit can actually be pretty varied. Most roguelite bosses are either the same monotonous routine every time (Spelunky 2) or are surprise hard counters to the build you've been having fun with the whole run (Time Eater while using a 0-cost spam deck in StS), but FTL's boss being consistent while having multiple solutions really works for me. It's not perfect by any means, though - cloaking is so effective against every phase I feel obligated to take it every time, and as others have said the first time you fight it is an extremely rude awakening.

This is what I love about FTL. You are limited in your choices (you can only have three systems!), but you have a clearly stated goal. Once you've seen the mother ship for the first time, anyway. You need to shut down that loving missile launcher as fast as you possibly can, which means dealing with its shields. Unless you brought two Mantis boys.

Cloaking is a good choice, but if you get the Zoltan shield that takes away some of pressure. But the stupid attack in phase three takes too long for the Zoltan shield to really be effective there, so that is why I want cloaking if I can get it.

Also, you can set things on fire. Multiple things. And it kills the bad guys dead. With fire.

edit living the DREAM

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 26, 2024

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rift Wizard 2 development starting to pick up a little steam: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2058570/view/4196867895981489776

quote:

New Spell:
  • Ion Tide - ALE7 - deals X lightning and arcane damage to the closest X enemies, X starts at 2, increases each turn until the buff is halfway expired, then decreases steadily back to 1.

New Items:
  • Crown of Bony Fingers - each turn an undead minion casts death touch
  • Chaos Scale Crown - each turn a dragon minion casts annihilate
  • Moon Crown - each turn a holy minion casts void beam
  • Fae Toxin Pouch - each turn deal 15 arcane damage to a random poisoned enemy
  • Icy Cruciform - each turn deal 15 holy damage to a random frozen enemy
  • Scaley Curse Doll - dragon minions cast death shock on a random enemy when they die

Gold Drake can now heal the wizard
Chastisement and Paralyzing Venom can now gain duration bonuses
Lightning Bolt energy bolt -1SP

Fixed leap attacks not allowing flying leaping monsters to leap to chasm tiles
Fixed Pillar of Annihilation crashing if not enough targets existed
Fixed some wizards missing from the list of wizards (for spawning and for summon wizard)
Fixed spell shop crashing when 2nd spell modifier key unbound
Fixed curse dolls and various spell upgrades stealing spell from the wizard and giving it to minion and making lots of really weird things happen
Fixed chaos barrage crashing when shooting with 0 targetable squares
Fixed orbs not summoning orbs if most logical start point is blocked (you still arent allowed to cast them if this point is blocked)

Made many tooltips slightly better

These new hats are way cooler than the "redeal damage as different flavor" caps.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Regarding the FTL boss: last time I played, the AI that takes over when you kill all the crew is incapable of fixing hull breaches. And the game requires breaches to be fixed before systems in the same room can be fixed. So what I'm saying is, if you have a Breach Bomb and enough ammo, you can just kill everyone and then bomb the boss into oblivion. I used to have a screenshot of an Easy run where every tile of the ship was breached.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Yeah, IF

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cock hero flux posted:

eventually you figure out the heart mage trick and then just do that to give yourself 5000 hp every run
sometimes even that can't save you
https://i.imgur.com/uD9Sph7.mp4
it was depressing watching them take over a minute to whittle down 4k health while i could do nothing

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Regarding the FTL boss: last time I played, the AI that takes over when you kill all the crew is incapable of fixing hull breaches. And the game requires breaches to be fixed before systems in the same room can be fixed. So what I'm saying is, if you have a Breach Bomb and enough ammo, you can just kill everyone and then bomb the boss into oblivion. I used to have a screenshot of an Easy run where every tile of the ship was breached.

Breaches are extremely powerful. But on the other hand, you could just set the whole thing on fire. The AI boss tries to fix fires, but it isn't very good. Just don't set fire to their oxygen system!

Plus, you kinda want to murder their crew before they move on to the phase where they get a teleporter. Fire kills filthy humans dead.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

What's a good build to carry me through early cycles in Achra? I'm on Cycle 3 right now and struggling but I think I'd enjoy the game more and have an easier time with it on the higher cycles where you can put a build together faster :shobon:

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

deep dish peat moss posted:

What's a good build to carry me through early cycles in Achra? I'm on Cycle 3 right now and struggling but I think I'd enjoy the game more and have an easier time with it on the higher cycles where you can put a build together faster :shobon:

Eris peltast, with the "super-peltast" prestige that only requires levels in Aim.

Jack Trades posted:

Path of Achra is truly the most masochistic video game experience ever devised.

*falls asleep on the autoattack button*
*wins the game*

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

King of Bleh posted:

Eris peltast, with the "super-peltast" prestige that only requires levels in Aim.

That’ll do it. Narkata is a super straightforward build too that i think should work if you’d rather run around than be a turret

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Captain Foo posted:

Nice! How’d the flail work out? I haven’t actually gotten a build that would make use of it to pick it up yet

I only picked it up for the astral resistance really. The most amusing thing it did was nuke one of my skelly servants for a quarter of a million damage though lol

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
What are good Achra builds to rack up huge numbers for those damage achievements? Seems to me like there's a million different instances of damage you can stack, but not so much multipliers that would generate massive single hits.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

deep dish peat moss posted:

you'll note that Might wasn't doing much for me and you could easily spend it on something else, I was experimenting with twohanding the claw before I realized that I needed an additional layer of defense, the small amount of dodge I had wasn't cutting it.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

grate deceiver posted:

What are good Achra builds to rack up huge numbers for those damage achievements? Seems to me like there's a million different instances of damage you can stack, but not so much multipliers that would generate massive single hits.

I'll look it up for you but there's a poise build + a psyblast (helm I think) That lets you stack poise to effectively infinity (it doubles every stand still) and then brain blast enemies for that amount - you build stacks by hiding behind your summons until the stacks are high enough and then just go for a stroll. It's also an insanely strong build for just pushing the Muqbara in general I think I hit 8+ with it.

I'll pull the character up when I get home.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 26, 2024

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

you'll note that Might wasn't doing much for me and you could easily spend it on something else, I was experimenting with twohanding the claw before I realized that I needed an additional layer of defense, the small amount of dodge I had wasn't cutting it.

humbaba got buffed between the time i made this post and now, lol

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

DarkDobe posted:

I'll look it up for you but there's a poise build + a psyblast (helm I think) That lets you stack poise to effectively infinity (it doubles every stand still) and then brain blast enemies for that amount - you build stacks by hiding behind your summons until the stacks are high enough and then just go for a stroll. It's also an insanely strong build for just pushing the Muqbara in general I think I hit 8+ with it.

I'll pull the character up when I get home.

That helmet got nerfed. I think it’s flat charges now instead of a compounding percentage

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wafflecopper posted:

That helmet got nerfed. I think it’s flat charges now instead of a compounding percentage

Yeah rip mind diamond

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Wafflecopper posted:

Looks like you're right - I'm pretty sure it was Mind Diamond and it based damage off of your highest stacked buff, now it goes off Repulsion (which as far as I know you can't stack exponentially)
Alas, no more vaporizing bad dancers with my disapproval.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I've been playing the Dwarves of Runenberg DLC for The Last Spell which dropped earlier this week. It introduces a new map, three new weapons, new items, and playable dwarven race with their own racial perk tree and traits. On paper, that might seem a bit thin in content but it's actually a decent amount of variety. I really hope the devs refine and expand the game with DLC of this caliber because it shows some encouraging signs of innovation.

Some thoughts on the DLC specifics:

Map - The map itself is pretty challenging, about on the same level of difficulty as the later maps. In particular, its final night gimmick is a real meatgrinder and throws a lot of curveballs your way. I got absolutely trounced on my first run but I admit I was testing out some suboptimal builds with the new weapons. Even coming in prepared and dropping the apocalypse down a level, I barely eked out a hard-fought victory. I personally enjoy the challenge and like that it distinguishes itself from the other maps in terms of its pacing and dangers.

Weapons - It's still early days for experimenting with these three new weapons but I really like what I've seen so far with them. They've got an interesting set of attacks along with some mobility moves and self-buffs. I see a lot of potential for build concepts that were previously underserved and synergies that can make some overlooked level up attributes more attractive. The unique weapon perks for each weapon also add some tactical depth to their usage. I really hope some of the more lackluster weapons in the base game get a similar treatment but I'd settle for future weapons having this added facet.

Dwarves - I think they absolutely knocked it out of the park in establishing dwarves as a distinct and viable option. Again, it's still early days but I see a lot of intriguing perks in the dwarf tree that can create completely new and unique builds that haven't existed yet in the game. They fit well into the base game and DLC and you have different ways of playing into their strengths and weaknesses. I'm thrilled by this addition as a successful proof of concept for hopefully more races to be added in future DLC.

New items - Alcohol has been added to the game which are essentially potions that buff a stat while debuffing another which is good for added variety in the item slot category and synergies for certain builds. The new item type I'm most excited about are the medals that grant perks. The trade-off is that they occupy the trinket slot, are expensive, rare, and sometimes come with stat debuffs. The upside is that it opens up some new build possibilities by letting you take perks that were mutually exclusive or "fix" a build that was perhaps missing a crucial perk. I don't think it fundamentally changes how the game gives you randomly rolled perk trees for each hero and it's up to you to make the best out of it, which I personally love. It just gives you some more options that's balanced out by the fact that it comes at a real cost, both in money and opportunity cost for the trinket slot, and is dependent on RNG. The DLC has some exclusive stone medals that have unique perks which I haven't gotten much chance to try yet but seem intriguing. I believe medals with the already existing perks have been added to the base game so you can play around with this system without the DLC.

All in all, I'd recommend it if you're already sold on the base game and were looking for more variety.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah it's a great dlc! Hope they keep it up for the second one. Very curious to see if they add a similar race skill tree for elves/orcs and/or weapon traits for the base game weapons; I was very surprised to see they didn't rebalance any weapons in the dlc patch.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

wtf, the Last Spell had dlc just come out?! somehow my curated news feed didn't pop this one

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2795980/The_Last_Spell__Dwarves_of_Runenberg/

Also, checking this one out: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1842730/Nightmare_The_Lunatic/

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone interested in a pure battling pokemon roguelite?

https://pokerogue.net/

First saw some streamers play it yesterday, so probably released fairly recently. Though I don't know too much about it other than that it's pretty fun so far!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I was also going to buy this until people in the Steam forums said that using every weapon requires you to stand still, and that every weapon has identical stats for damage/stun etc changed my mind in a hurry.

There's a possibility that the game is elegantly designed around these two ideas and it actually works wonderfully, but it sounds too bizarre to take a blind chance.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Anyone have experience with the Curious Expedition games? The second one is on sale on Switch.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Chaotic Flame posted:

Anyone have experience with the Curious Expedition games? The second one is on sale on Switch.

Yeah, I played the first one and really liked it. It's pretty slow paced but has a nice mixture of exploration, lore readin', character building and adventuring. Not the world's most typical roguelikes or roguelites, but fun.

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone interested in a pure battling pokemon roguelite?

https://pokerogue.net/

First saw some streamers play it yesterday, so probably released fairly recently. Though I don't know too much about it other than that it's pretty fun so far!

Holy poo poo, these guys are going to get sued into oblivion. Enjoy it while it lasts!

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Last Spell is great game but one run is grueling, just beating the original set of maps took me 80+ hours. I'm not sure I have the stamina to play through apocs and unlock more stuff.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Holy poo poo, these guys are going to get sued into oblivion. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Eh, I think people underestimate how much it takes to sue something out of existence when it doesn't make a profit off it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Broken Cog posted:

Eh, I think people underestimate how much it takes to sue something out of existence when it doesn't make a profit off it.

Nintendo and Pokémon Company are famously litigious though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Nintendo and Pokémon Company are famously litigious though.

Eh, they didn't even bother trying going after Palworld when that took off. And they had to use Patreon exclusive beta access (paid access) to go after the guys making Switch emulators.
As long as it's not run for profit, I think this game is fairly safe.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I mean Pokemon Showdown has somehow survived this whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

Eh, they didn't even bother trying going after Palworld when that took off. And they had to use Patreon exclusive beta access (paid access) to go after the guys making Switch emulators.
As long as it's not run for profit, I think this game is fairly safe.

They didn't even bother trying to go after Palworld because it's not actually infringing.

Unauthorized noncommercial use is "safe" to the extent that it's hard to show damages so you probably won't owe any money if you get caught, but Nintendo definitely has shut down free fan projects before.