Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Path of Achra is truly the most masochistic video game experience ever devised.

*falls asleep on the autoattack button*
*wins the game*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I downloaded the Achra demo just out of curiosity due to this conversation - it never really appealed to me. Being asked straight-up to roll a character class combo with a bunch of keywords before know I what anything does is poor design (the Spiderweb Software guy has a long rant about this which I feel is wisdom), but ah whatever I picked something and clicked on a few things. First turn ingame it asked me to level up a primary stat but I couldn't figure out what they do in practical terms, and a few turns accidentally passed as I was puzzling out the buffs situation and clicked on the wrong things. Found the hand icon top left and immediately saw a page of keyword spam abilities. My eyes glazed over, this is not my jam.

Total playtime of 4 minutes, most of that was squinting at keywords.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

*wins the game*

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Serephina posted:

I downloaded the Achra demo just out of curiosity due to this conversation - it never really appealed to me. Being asked straight-up to roll a character class combo with a bunch of keywords before know I what anything does is poor design (the Spiderweb Software guy has a long rant about this which I feel is wisdom), but ah whatever I picked something and clicked on a few things. First turn ingame it asked me to level up a primary stat but I couldn't figure out what they do in practical terms, and a few turns accidentally passed as I was puzzling out the buffs situation and clicked on the wrong things. Found the hand icon top left and immediately saw a page of keyword spam abilities. My eyes glazed over, this is not my jam.

Total playtime of 4 minutes, most of that was squinting at keywords.

That's fair, but I'd also say that there is a fundamentally interesting game once you get past the starting problems, and it's actually much less complex than other roguelikes in many ways.

It's not another DCSS by any means, but it's still a very intriguing and minimalist approach to roguelikes, and the setting is very neat once you get used to it.

Edit: I'm interested in that blog though, if you find it.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 22, 2024

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Falcon2001 posted:

Edit: I'm interested in that blog though, if you find it.

If it's this one, I remember reading it. The gist of it is "Don't overload people with text and mechanics early on" which, fair enough in general, but in the case of Path of Achra, since that's literally all the game is, I think it's fine. It makes it pretty clear whether the game is for you or not.

Some gradual unlocking of abilities/trees and maybe making you start with a prebuilt character and progression along with some explanations of why skill X is being picked/upgraded could help but honestly, it really doesn't take that long for things to click if you lean into it a bit. And if that doesn't feel good at first, I doubt it will later. Some people's minds start fizzing happily when seeing a screen like this and others retreat in horror. I'm glad games are being made for both kinds.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
This is why the dev wants a free demo. They know they are making a very specific kind of game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Osmosisch posted:

If it's this one, I remember reading it. The gist of it is "Don't overload people with text and mechanics early on" which, fair enough in general, but in the case of Path of Achra, since that's literally all the game is, I think it's fine. It makes it pretty clear whether the game is for you or not.

Yeah, I was going to say that. On a "normal" game you can one-by-one drip 2/3 the mechanics, because there are other things (the other 1/3 of the mechanics that make up the basic gameplay loop, maybe writing?), but in PoA case, the gameplay IS making the build, so you cannot easily lock 2/3 of them, as for the first dozen runs it would make the game even more...

Jack Trades posted:

*wins the game*

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The culture/class/gods are locked behind the world’s fastest metaprog system though, so that’s something

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

The culture/class/gods are locked behind the world’s fastest metaprog system though, so that’s something

Yeah, but they're imo a lot less intimidating than that skill screen.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Osmosisch posted:

Yeah, but they're imo a lot less intimidating than that skill screen.

Idk i have nearly 100 hours in achra and at one point i couldn’t put a build together at all, so maybe i don’t have the right perspective anymore but i think it’s pretty well organized

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
the Luck Be A Landlord dev is paying $77.77 bounties to break the existing speedrun world records for his game:

this is super interesting to me even if I myself will not be participating and I just wanted more people to know about this :shobon:

also lmao at the "clear the game on the base difficulty" category on the top there actively caring about milliseconds. A Good Category.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I like it quite a lot and should return, because it updated a whole bunch over the past few months.

Path of Achra is a simple game in a very convincing disguise of a highly complex one.

Foo, now that you've been doing so many 24 Cycle runs, what's the most dangerous enemy type? Is it the guy that summons red imps? Because I think I was floating around cycle 8 and Red Imps started pulling away from the rest of the pack on the scare-o-meter.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Veryslightlymad posted:

I like it quite a lot and should return, because it updated a whole bunch over the past few months.

Path of Achra is a simple game in a very convincing disguise of a highly complex one.

Foo, now that you've been doing so many 24 Cycle runs, what's the most dangerous enemy type? Is it the guy that summons red imps? Because I think I was floating around cycle 8 and Red Imps started pulling away from the rest of the pack on the scare-o-meter.

Not counting any of the new void optional zones, it’s still probably rhombids/jawharas/kolecs, though the new Taking Cover map generation has helped with that.

Baalus (fat summoner dudes) are extremely nasty unless you have some good area capability because they will poo poo out imps, as discussed.

Malagas are tough if you have bad blood res because even if you kill them fast they can stack faster.

Mouths of Fire have a lot of health and can blow you up if your damage takes a while to scale up.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2071280/view/4185608262914177743?l=english

Ravenswatch third area patch is out, this is the last big update before 1.0

guess I'll give it one more shot since I keep bouncing off it despite liking dead gods

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

can't wait for coq to release

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I would also like to take some coq.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Gimme all the coq I can handle and then some

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
CoQ goes great with a glass of wine.

Coq au vin you might call it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How hard is coq?

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

With coq, you really do get out what you put into it.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

does it take very long to get a firm grasp on coq?

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

At first, coq might be difficult to get a good hold of, but if you stay on top of it you should find it really grows into its own. After that you’ll find it in hand whenever you play.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Honestly that's what I found so engrossing about traditional roguelikes when I first encountered them. I loved the granular control and learning all its little nuances

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
CoQ... can be kind of intimidating because it's just so big? [note to self - need to workshop this one more before posting]

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

I’ve always found if you just focus on the first little bit of CoQ, the rest kind of takes care of itself. The length can be intimidating to newer players for sure, especially because CoQ actually goes pretty deep as well as being wide.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just keep working on it and you'll learn how to extract large volumes of fun from coq in no time, despite how hard it is.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
ohh like a penis.... i see. the joke is penis like gieeo game...

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Snake Maze posted:

CoQ... can be kind of intimidating because it's just so big? [note to self - need to workshop this one more before posting]

thankfully, there are ways to make coq a much smoother experience so that you can take it at as slow of a pace as you want. it's very slick.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Some people choose to straight-up remove (mod out) a common section of CoQ, but nobody can really give a good reason why. Doesn’t seem to affect the overall experience, but people get weird about it all the same.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

yes, but how big is the bia?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Le bia, c'est gigantesque!

edit: or was it la bia

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

HenryEx posted:

Le bia, c'est gigantesque!

edit: or was it la bia

La bia? Don’t be so crude with your humour.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Pseudoscorpion posted:

BigBia is the name of my very first lvl 100 character in last epoch.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I tried my first real tries of Cogmind last night. Cool game so far, I made it to a place called Zion and then the NPC allies I got from that ended up getting me killed that run. Still not sure what mobility I should be using so I've just stuck with legs so far. Seems like I should be running from more fights than I am because more enemies get sent as you kill but it seems like a lot of times I'm stuck having to kill most of the bots I come across that are hostile.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
New Ravenswatch feels like a brand new game, in a good way. They completely revamped the items system as well as adding rerolls to all random choices, so it feels a lot better fine tuning your build.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I beat Astral Ascent final boss (well, you know what I mean if you have played it...), it was so close that when the slow down and the special scene plays out, I wasn't sure if he had killed me or I had killed him. I guess the metaprogression grind wasn't so bad in the end, I needed 10 hours to get the "essentials" + a bit of extra power. The rest of the upgrades are... or less useful or more of the same but way more expensive, it's just a progression sink.
Although given that the first Destiny you have to play next, which give extra/improve attack patterns to the enemies, I guess I just played the tutorial and now I'm playing the real game.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 22, 2024

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

the boss upgrades are a real good time, as are increased elite counts in stages

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

One thing that i re-learned in achra doing my poweless run is that cycle 1 really gives you a ton of flexibility. It tends to be the issue with this sort of metaprog that as you go up the ascension latter, kinda by necessity only the very most optimized things are feasible. I still think achra does a decent job of providing options, but it’s nothing like the scope of what’s functional at cycle 1

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I really want to like Ravenswatch but the lack of i-frames on dodge and the HP scaling/amount of mobs makes it feel like it's basically not intended for solo-play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I have 175+ hours in Ravenswatch and have only done like 2 of them in co-op