Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
It's Northwestern, nothing will help recruitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
If there's enough evidence of this stuff, the pro-union folks can appeal to the NLRB and have them investigate.

Even if not, though, the fact that the vote was allowed to go forward means that some other school will try, and probably sooner rather than later.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Democrazy posted:

I wonder if being a union school would actually help recruitment.

I would think it'd greatly help it, kids can't be punished on a whim for bullshit like not hustling enough, their care would be guaranteed to all, etc.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

von Metternich posted:

If there's enough evidence of this stuff, the pro-union folks can appeal to the NLRB and have them investigate.

Even if not, though, the fact that the vote was allowed to go forward means that some other school will try, and probably sooner rather than later.
Good luck with that. It's so hard to prove

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

FlamingLiberal posted:

Good luck with that. It's so hard to prove

Even the super-sloppy SMU slush-fund would be running to this day if there wasn't source reporting to an interested party.

In this case, it'll take all of one frustrated cut sophomore talking to a former team-mate to bring the NCAA down like a load of bricks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Now the Northwestern team co-captain has come out on record saying he believes a union is 'not necessary', then proceeds to ignore the reasons why people believe it's absolutely necessary in the first place.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10844309/northwestern-co-captain-says-union-not-necessary-our-team

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Grittybeard posted:

Here's the Deadspin thing.

I was wondering if there'd be a big anti-union push within the university. You've got to love the former players threatening to freeze them out of post college hiring. Mmmm that's some sweet sweet union busting.

I loving loved the bit about what the Northwestern lawyers sent them

quote:

it says college football reform will happen faster via unilateral NCAA decisions than by unionizing

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Now the Northwestern team co-captain has come out on record saying he believes a union is 'not necessary', then proceeds to ignore the reasons why people believe it's absolutely necessary in the first place.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10844309/northwestern-co-captain-says-union-not-necessary-our-team

Man that is some sweet reporting, when no one even attempts to have him comment on the grievances of the players who did want to unionize.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Talked to a friend who played sports in school, and it's amazing how nonchalant he was about the restrictions they put on players. Whenever I hear about players forced to live on campus, or having coaches go to class with them, or having to get permission for off-campus jobs or to go home for the holidays, I think it's completely ridiculous. He just shrugged and said "yeah, that's pretty standard, coaches have to keep track of their players"

Regardless of the money issues, players need a union to put a stop to some of this poo poo.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Related, I saw today that Ed Obannon is suing the Ncaa over this stuff.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

effectual posted:

Related, I saw today that Ed Obannon is suing the Ncaa over this stuff.

Yeah, Sara Ganim has been tweeting about the proceedings if you want to follow someone.

Also, here's the synopsis from yesterday when the trial started: http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/09/us/ed-obannon-ncaa-lawsuit/?c=&page=0

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The NCAA also announced yesterday a settlement over the EA video game lawsuit. It was $20 million on top of the $40 million that EA paid out to players this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
So the NCAA's position really is that TV networks fork over millions to film buildings on certain days of the year and that there happens to be a football game going on at the same time is complete coincidence? That no one would pay to see say, the Iron Bowl, if it was being held at some random farmer's place? etc...

I'm not a lawyer but its so absurd that were I the Judge I would slap the NCAA with some sort of contempt of court charge for implying that they thought I was a moron.

• Locked thread