Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
And somehow my campaign setting keeps on getting stranger and stranger. I would like to that Talkc for giving me a few suggestions like making one of the villains in my game the walking embodiment of the second law of thermodynamics.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hUDV6H4XHBk9kQ5S9DuEwMYMVDYTc1SzJeOqaGXZEkA/edit?usp=sharing
EDIT:
Might as well add TheDemon, a friend who doesn't post here, and a few other people to the list.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Ugh, I'm exhausted from stupid work, I may not end up posting the next prompt until tomorrow. As tomorrow's my birthday, in honour of that auspicious holiday, I'm not going to count late entries until after I get the prompt up. We'll run long enough so the last week gets a full seven days no matter what.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

neongrey posted:

Ugh, I'm exhausted from stupid work, I may not end up posting the next prompt until tomorrow. As tomorrow's my birthday, in honour of that auspicious holiday, I'm not going to count late entries until after I get the prompt up. We'll run long enough so the last week gets a full seven days no matter what.

So does that mean the deadline has been moved forwards? Is it 2AM Feb. 24th Central Standard Time (one week from the Week 2 Deadline) or something else now?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, it's now Ambiguously Monday Afternoon. I'll give like an hour or two warning before cutoff.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 24, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Well, I'm going to be at work, asleep, or in transit until Monday afternoon. :( I guess Operation Dragon Slayer Pt. 3 is as good as its going to get. Be gentle! :saddowns:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Empty Star Week 3 is here; I'll finish editing this later.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Okay, two-hour warning.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

And that's time, I'm going out for pizza and cake, prompt when I get back.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

neongrey posted:

And that's time, I'm going out for pizza and cake, prompt when I get back.

Got any flavor and toppings in mind?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
My part 3 is definitely late, but it is coming.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I was busy publically protesting and doing paperwork (and now you know why my game is paperwork themed!) so call it a day or so more.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Annd I'm back. (Greek Pizza and red velvet cake)

And I will tell you latebies what, late entries provided with a suitable birthday gift (I suggest pictures of baby elephants, but realize I have read the entire PYF cute thread from cover to cover) will have late penalties waived.

So! Week four! Deadline is: 5am central standard time Tuesday Mar 4!

You have a choice of options for this week.

a) Create an introductory adventure for your setting. Again, less is more, etc. No additional points will be allocated here for mechanics. If you haven't claimed your bonus for mechanics yet, this is an easy place to get it though.

That being said, we have entrants for whom the setting and the adventure are one, and so the above is not the fairest of options, because what more can you do there. So, if you can't, or if you feel the below option is more interesting to you anywayy, then I offer:

b) Narrative fluff text! Every heartbreaker needs gratuitous fluff vignettes! If it's tied to a specific subsection from a previous week's entry, just note which one by the header. Do not submit first drafts. I don't expect brilliance from RPG fluff stories but per my evisceration of a previous entry's attempt, don't use narrative to do a descriptive section's job. But do give little scenes or short stories that would start your sections.

DO NOT DO BOTH ETTIN THIS MEANS YOU. IF YOU DO BOTH I WILL ONLY ASSIGN POINTS BASED ON THE FIRST ONE I SEE.

Bonus points are for:

People who took option A may either playtest your adventure or give at least a set of personality outlines for a set of pregens. Full sheets are ideal but no bonus points for it. YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO BOTH YOU WILL NOT GET MORE POINTS FOR IT, the second option is there in case you find it logistically difficult to both write and playtest even a short adventure in under a week.

People who took option B may, for bonus: use recurring characters for your fluff and make an actual overarching story out of your flavourful vignettes that go with your discussions of city districts or whatever. No options, just make it good.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

neongrey posted:

ETTIN THIS MEANS YOU.

:qq:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

neongrey posted:

People who took option A may either playtest your adventure
What is the criteria for this objective because I all ready did this one last one Saturday.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

That would be the Ettin clause, ie, no points for doing things before they're required.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Speaking of doing things before they're required... I haven't.

Here's the late factions section of the soon-to-be-renamed World of Fightness: the pdf here in case you have trouble with the doc, and the regular doc for word-counting here.

I was going to provide a picture of a birthday elephant but I haven't had time, so I'll just have to suck up the late penalty.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Man I'm stupidly late on you anyway as it is. I was so proud of myself for starting out getting everyone done in a super timely fashion and theeen... :negative:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

potatocubed posted:

I was going to provide a picture of a birthday elephant but I haven't had time, so I'll just have to suck up the late penalty.
What if its a birthday duckling?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

neongrey posted:

That would be the Ettin clause, ie, no points for doing things before they're required.

:argh:

I already told you but to make it official: I am taking the time to add a few extra factions and add adorable baby animals, it should be done in a few days. I've been spending a lot of this week playing Persona 4 doing work, I'll finish this when I'm done.

Then I'll run an IRC adventure for some IRC goons! If any of them have a preference for what part of Empty Star the adventure should be about or what system to use I am all ears. :getin:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

MadScientistWorking posted:

What if its a birthday duckling?

I'm clearly not running a tight ship here, go crazy.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Ranger Danger - Neo-Tokyo News Day ( A Vignette in Google Doc Form )

I wasn't too clear on what fluff meant in this weeks thing. So i wrote this ( I blame Madscientistworking if this doesn't fit the bill ). Also Kudos to MSW for feeding me ideas to work with.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Due to various personal issues I've been unable to work on my project, with other things taking priority. It's March 3rd, and I've hardly begun on the adventure I wrote. I don't believe I'll have a finished draft (or even a mostly complete version) by contest's end.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Well here is my sort of incomplete but complete sample adventure. If I had more time I would have done more than just one sample character but I ran out of time.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/11L7mCjrHLbasLzF8VzUfM32MkK0LeykmVfqts3yoKdc/edit?usp=sharing

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I wanted to get one more bit of fluff in here (the Berlin Transmission) but I have work tomorrow. Here's your Operation Dragon Slayer Pt. 4, then.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Empty Star stage 4 is here!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

All right-- I'm back on working nights this weekend, I'll go over the full last two weeks' worth of stuff then. Theoretically I might get it done sooner but then realistically speaking I'm not gonna. This means if anyone wants to be late at a penalty, you'll have some time before I'm actually looking at things.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Ettin posted:

Empty Star stage 4 is here!
Just to let you know in advance you accidentally forgot to set the access to shared for the drive.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Sorry I had some personal issues going on this past weekend, but fortunately I'm back on nights so I should be going through these tonight and early next week.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

...I didn't accidentally kill you with my horrible fluff, did I? :ohdear:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

The personal poo poo has been taking a little longer to straighten out than I'd like. :/ Sorry for the delays, I should have my groove back shortly and then I can knock these out.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

I just got a request on G-Mail to share my Monster Cops documents. I could not write the adventure, and felt that the contest was over or in hiatus, so I put the documents to "private" so that I can actually work on it to turn into something to publish at a later date.

If this the G-Mail request was from you, Neongrey, I'm bowing out of the contest. I changed the main documents a lot to the point that they won't really fall into the design perimeters for this contest. It was fun writing while it lasted, and helped jump start more than a few good ideas for my fantasy heartbreaker-to-be.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Fair cop-- and it's my own fault for getting too tied up with other things. I haven't forgotten the contest at all, I'm just really crunched for time right now. I hope to have the rest of the judging soon-- and I'm glad it was a good help! I did really like your setting! :)

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
So is this thing still alive? Does it still have a pulse?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Did more bad stuff happen? :ohdear:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

No, just busy, I'm sorry. I'll see about looking these over this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
Just checking in on this. Does it yet live again?

• Locked thread