Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
February Contest: Ironic Joke About Valentine's and Fantasy Heartbreakers, or the contest I suspect Mikan wants nothing to do with

Two important things happen in February: my birthday, and Valentine's Day. What can we possibly do to satisfy both needs?

This is a writing-only contest. People seem to like those. I like those. Prepare for me a setting for a heartbreaker. Traditionally, fantasy is what's done for this, but if you want to do some other genre? Go crazy.

How are we defining heartbreaker? Something that generally adheres to the traditions of whatever genre you're working in, but that somehow works in something new, original, and interesting in a way that makes it downright heartbreaking it's in such a been-there-done-that package. Is this contest, then, slightly defeatist in nature? Yes. Happy Valentine's Day.

The prize is two bags of the Love Mix from famous goon confectioner Raley's Confectionary (we can negotiate flavour), shipped anywhere within North America. If you hate candy or you live somewhere where the shipping is too bad, we'll do ten bucks on DriveThru instead.

The Nitty-Gritty

-We'll do weekly check-ins and assignments, just to make sure everyone's coming along okay.

-I'm not really going to be a super-stickler on deadline, I keep bizarre hours. I'll list deadlines so you have something to shoot for, but I don't pay enough attention to clocks at the best of times to be a hardass.

-I'm probably not going to be a huge stickler on whether or not what you do is strictly a heartbreaker of any genre. Just act like you know what you're doing and make it cohesive.

-I want broad strokes. If you're doing a whole planet, I couldn't be assed to know how many milimetres of precipitation this place gets. If you're doing a city I probably don't care how many urchins live on a single street. Emphasize what would be important in play.

Points and the Assignment Thereof

The following things will gain you bonus points:

- Provide stats for things. Monsters, NPCs, whatever. If you have a system in mind for what you're doing, by all means stat things up. Don't pick something that'll make it hard for me to find someone who can tell me if it's any good.

Individual weekly competitions may well further ways to gain bonus points.

The following things will lose you points:

- Points lost for every 500 words above 7500, starting at 7500. I want brevity and elegance. A novelette for a weekly entry in a month-long competition is not brevity. This resets weekly, ie, you have 7499 words per week to use as you will.

- Spanning your weekly entry across multiple posts. Don't do this.

- Arguments about what constitutes a heartbreaker.

So, here we go:

Week 1: Introduction to YOUR SETTING HERE

Prepare an overview of your setting. Galaxy, planet, continent, country, city, whatever. Look at page 8 of the 3.5 Eberron Campaign setting for a good idea of what I'm looking for. More detailed than an elevator pitch, but still trying to establish hooks in the reader. Make it feel both familiar and comfortable, and also new and awesome, all at the same time.

Bonus points awarded for: An interesting map.
Bonus points awarded for: Genre-blending. More points if it's not a fantasy/SF mix.

Deadline is: 5AM Central Standard Time, Monday Feb 10.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Lets give it a shot with Death of the West

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I've always paced myself by not doing back to back contests, but goddamn this looks like fun!

Give me a day to think on it. I'm a solid maybe right now.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
When you say fewer points for fantasy/sci fi, do you mean Western fantasy + sci fi?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, pretty much. Dragons and space ships. I mean you still get bonus points for that because it's cool, just not as many as, I dunno, elephant cavalry and space ships.

:siren: And really, pursuant to the current goings-on in the chat thread, just keep in mind heartbreakers is a valentine's joke. What we're going for is injecting something unusual and cool(but not random) into the familiar. :siren:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

neongrey posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Dragons and space ships. I mean you still get bonus points for that because it's cool, just not as many as, I dunno, elephant cavalry and space ships.

:siren: And really, pursuant to the current goings-on in the chat thread, just keep in mind heartbreakers is a valentine's joke. What we're going for is injecting something unusual and cool(but not random) into the familiar. :siren:

What about other types of sci-fi, like dragons + Ursula K. Le Guin style social fantasy? Dungeoneering in the Hainish universe?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Venture forth into the Westphal Universe!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

What about other types of sci-fi, like dragons + Ursula K. Le Guin style social fantasy? Dungeoneering in the Hainish universe?

I'm gonna say that, since it was a big thing in the 80s, if your fantasy realm is actually some place that has been colonized by a spacefaring people, that is the reduced bonus. Beyond that, I'm probably not going to be very picky. It's all bonus points, if you have a brilliant single genre idea you're fine too.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Okay well throwing my hat into the ring here.

Ranger Danger!!! - A Sentai Team Mystery Intro ( Google Docs )

Ranger Danger Week 1 Document ( Google Docs Link )

TL:DR - Its a pulp mystery set in the backdrop of the disaster and havoc brought about when the typical Power Rangers monster attacks a city.

Planned System - Fate Accelerated
Players - 2-5

Inspirations: Disaster Movies, Anime like Gatchaman Crowds & Samurai Flamenco, Dresden Files style Pulp Detective stuff.

Talkc fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 17, 2014

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

neongrey posted:

I'm gonna say that, since it was a big thing in the 80s, if your fantasy realm is actually some place that has been colonized by a spacefaring people, that is the reduced bonus. Beyond that, I'm probably not going to be very picky. It's all bonus points, if you have a brilliant single genre idea you're fine too.

I think I have an idea. A science fantasy world where everything is named after prog rock songs. HAWKWORLD. Probably will stat up things in some retroclone.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So since there was some debate in the chat thread about recycling, would it be fair to say we can't reuse poo poo we've submitted for other contests? I posted a design doc over in the appropriate thread for that stuff, but I never used it in a contest before.

While I'm at it, does anyone wanna buddy up? I'm not much for writing settings and crap, but I'd be up for collaborative efforts on mechanics and stuff.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Sure, I'll throw in for this. I'm probably going to use 4e or something for the game system. Let's make this as heartbreaker-y as possible. :getin:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
My submission for this contest is..

A Dark Sun knockoff sci-fi Dying Earth conspiracy thriller. Click the star for the doc!

Bonus point map of the half a continent this game is set on is here.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 3, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

P.d0t posted:

So since there was some debate in the chat thread about recycling, would it be fair to say we can't reuse poo poo we've submitted for other contests?

That seems wildly inappropriate. This is a writing contest. Write something for the contest.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

P.d0t posted:

So since there was some debate in the chat thread about recycling, would it be fair to say we can't reuse poo poo we've submitted for other contests?
It wasn't really a debate though and at the time I completely forgot that a few hours before the contest was even revealed I had just flat out decided to completely rewrite what I all ready had as most of it was wildly inaccurate in terms of the actual setting or just random bits of information that have no connective tissue besides what it is in my head.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I might go through my copy of Legends of the Wulin and do something with that.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Kwyndig posted:

I might go through my copy of Legends of the Wulin and do something with that.

Hey, I was poking at a LotW idea as well. (Tentatively titled 'World of Fightness'.)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My concept is too serious for this contest so I'm pulling out.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

If you think you're not gonna finish, that's one thing, but please don't let the fact that you want to do a serious piece be the only reason.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
So, a tactical roleplaying game pitting the players against everything, even themselves. Introducing D&D + Paranoia + Spaaaaaace!

Imagine 4 shuttles heading for the edge of a singularity...

Welcome, my dear, to Space Station 13!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I just had a really weird idea. Is the scenario of Twilight 2000 an okay place to start messing with stuff?

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 4, 2014

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
So, is it 7,500 words total, or just for Part 1: Introduction? I do have an idea brewing in the ol' skull meat.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 8, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

7499 words per week.

Start wherever you like Davin.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Edited based on feedback.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 5, 2014

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
For my entry, I've decided to blend two things I haven't seen mixed before--Fantasy and Cyberpunk. I give you...

Shadow-

Wait, that's not quite right. Let me try this again.

Tales of Daring Scoundrels in the City of Endless Kings

TODSITCOEK (for short) is a blend of Cyberpunk and Fantasy. It's the gameplay of a cyberpunk RPG jammed into a high-magic fantasy setting. Players will negotiate jobs, do legwork, plan a job (or a heist), try to execute it, and struggle to not die when everything goes south. Players can be expected to work contacts, develop addictions and give up their humanity in order to get better at their jobs. Themes include concentration of wealth and power into the few and elite, the death of the individual, relationships in a harsh world that doesn't care about you, and striking back at a system too powerful for you to really hurt.

with wizards.

The googledocs above consists of a map, a description of the setting, a small elevator pitch and a glossary that is basically a brain vomit of ideas.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Like all the best things about Valentine's Day, this thread is now sticky.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Ewwwww

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
That means chocolates and candies, right?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

A link to my Monster Cops Document, Chapter One: Character Creation.

A link to my Monster Cops Document, Chapter Two: Setting

A link to my Monster Cops Document, Chapter Three: Factions

Do you like pseudo Old School D&D mechanics? Do you like crime drama and monster PCs in an early 1900s modern fantasy world?

Well, I've got just the thing for you! Put on some jazz music to help set the mood, crack open that Google Document, and soak up that sweet, sweet, noir goodness!

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 22, 2014

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Winson_Paine posted:

Like all the best things about Valentine's Day, this thread is now sticky.

Delicious.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'm going to drop this here, in case I don't have any more time to work on it before the deadline.

World of Fightness

It's an incomplete modern-day setting for Legends of the Wulin, loosely based off an idea I had for a game a couple of months ago.

...I really, really need a better name.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Martial Law. Legends of the Awakened. Wuxia Supercops. Big Trouble in Little Vatican. Punch Heart. Kung Fu Knights.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well at least it wasn't my idea, which is Romance of the Three Kingdoms, in space.

Which I'll work on today.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Star Empire

Welcome to registration, Citizen of the Star Empire!

To register yourself within the Star Empire, fill out your name, planet of birth, date of birth (in the Imperial Standard Calendar I.S.C. and not in local planetary time), your species and your gender on your provided Citizen Identification Card.

Basic Information

Your name should not include nicknames but may include single letter abbreviations for middle names, pod names, construction number and similar. Titles such as doctorates, military ranks, noble rank and clan champion rankings may be placed either preceding the name or following, or left out as desired.

You planet of birth is the planet on which you were born, spawned, hatched, constructed or otherwise introduced into the universe. Do not include current residence, as the identification card tracks this automatically for your convenience and safety. Do not include planets where you were conceived, laid or designed: only planet of birth. If you were born in space, only achieved self-awareness late in life or otherwise cannot accurately locate your planet of birth, input the first planet of citizen registration instead and mark it with an asterisk (*).

Date of Birth should be registered by the Imperial Standard Calendar. To aid you in time conversion, the I.S.C is composed of exactly 364 days of 25 hours each, divided into twelve "months" of varying length (see further documentation for details) and the current year is 512 IS, the length of the reign of our glorious divine dynasty descended from emperor Khepher I. Do not note your current age, as this is tracked automatically.

Include your species. If you are one of the six Major Species (Human, Alchi, M!rang, 1, The People or Liezt), mark it as normal. If you are of a non-Major Species, simply mark down your species and include an asterisk (*).

Include your preferred gender. The Imperial Office of Gender Studies currently recognizes several tens of thousands of varieties of gender in the galaxy and more are tracked each year, so no special note is required nor are you required to select from a pre-set list. Note that due to problems with automated recording, instead of writing N/A, self-aware constructed species (such as 1 who choose not to take on cultural anthropomorphic traits) should by preference write their own species again, or simply "robot". This is a recent change as of 3.3.511 IS, so all cards issued before this date should be presented for modification at the earliest opportunity.

Statistics Generation

Now fill out the section marked "SoStETMP". Do this in presence of a licensed Imperial official using their official equipment for the purpose. The abbreviation stands for "Socio-Economic Status, Social Standing, Education, Tech Familiarity, Military Experience, Psionic Potential". The fields below that line are your current potential within each of these fields.

Using the officially provided equipment (2d6), roll to see your value in that statistic. Note that for one of the statistics, you instead roll 3d6 and take the two highest - your choice as to which. Note also that your Species has certain advantages within Star Empire registration; apply these after rolling.

• Humans are the culturally, politically and ethnically dominant force in the Star Empire. They have rights and privileges that non-humans do not simply because they are human, whether or not they recognize this fact. This social privilege grants all humans +1 Social Standing.
  • Alchi naturally produce substances which are valuable components in medical technologies as a byproduct of their existence. Combined with the many economic opportunities and freedoms they enjoy in their culture, they gain +1 Socio-Economic Status.
  • M!rang are in possession of records predating the existence of all currently known species, having evolved on what is now termed an Archive Planet. Their millenia-long emphasis on education standards grants them +1 Education.
  • 1 are a variety of mechanical, electronic and computational intelligences, both naturally evolved and constructed. They tend to be more innately familiar with the various technologies they encounter as a result, and gain +1 Tech Familiarity.
  • The People have a strong tradition of military and social discipline, having developed a successful form of AI-Communism in their society in 112 IS. Combined with mandatory conscription and prominence in imperial service, this grants them +1 Military Experience.
  • Liezt are an artificial variety of Human which are designed to take advantage of found Psi-tech and, though few in number, have gained enormous social significance within the Star Empire. Their design grants them +1 Psi Potential.

Any species marked with an asterisk (*) can gain a +1 bonus in any of the statistics based on their reported aptitude: simply pick one of your choice. You may even pick after rolling. However, any non-Major species will find numerous difficulties simply existing in wider Imperial society, largely due to lack of standard-manufactured goods and provided services, and will find that buying custom versions of everything may become expensive.

Note that if you roll a number higher than 10, you do not write a number. Imperial tracking systems are based on hexadecimal tracking. If you roll 10, input A: If 11, B: If 12, C: If 13, D. A sample statistics line could look like this: 57A8B4. This has been approved as the system least likely to cause confusion by a special cabinet appointed by the Empress Khufti II herself in 401 IS.

Final Notes

If your Social Standing is A or higher, you are a member of an Imperial Noble House and should mark yourself as such in the space provided. If your Military Experience is A or higher, you have achieved at least the rank of Lieutenant within the Imperial military forces, and you should determine your exact rank and write it in the space provided. If you have Tech Familiarity of at least 6, you possess a Standard Individual pilot license. If you qualify for a greater Pilot License (Bulk Commercial or Military for instance), you may write it down. All of these qualifications and their specifications will be detailed in a separate document.

If I can't finish more, then this is my entry for week 1. In case it's not obvious, this is a Traveller heartbreaker like whoah. :v:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Kwyndig posted:

Well at least it wasn't my idea, which is Romance of the Three Kingdoms, in space.

I'd play the hell out of that.

Let's be honest: I'd give pretty much any '...with wuxia kung fu!' setting a go.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Bad news, looks like I went over the word limit by 13.

Eh, close enough.

Edit: Had to cut some dumb stuff and change some traits around, back to 7,441 as of the 9th.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 9, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

One day warning.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Well here is my entry for the contest. To make a long story short its basically Expedition to the Barrier Peaks if the ship that crashed into the land was the size of North America and there was an inactive Death Star orbiting the planet. Also, I might change the setting a bit as I was partially basing this on North America and my mind is completely blank on making two of the regions relatively distinct.

Avalon Primer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-EqOIfY6by0dHRsTlFrWFRkMEE/edit?usp=sharing
System: Any though I'll be writing up stunts for Fate.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 10, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Five hours or so left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Unfortunately, most of the time I'd planned to use writing this and making a map got eaten up by unexpected errands. Ah well, we use what we have.

When Twilight 2000 launches an Attack on Titan, the result is Operation Dragon Slayer.

Operation Dragon Slayer Pt. 2

Operation Dragon Slayer Pt. 3

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 24, 2014

• Locked thread