Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Minkee posted:

Its easier to go down on the front sprocket btw. http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=53915.0

It also might end up making your top speed complete poo poo if you go up too much in the rear. That is honestly why a lot of GS500 owners don't do it. Have you done anything else to the bike yet such as the lunchbox filter, jetting, exhaust, throttle tube?

For highway/road riding the stock final drive ratios are great. For gymkhana/shortish road tracks going up a tooth or two on the back gives the false sense of extra torque and helps stand the bike up a bit when trying to power out of a corner or low speed maneuvering. (If you look at the japanese gymkhana videos gander at the rear sprockets, a lot of them are pizza pie plate sized)

I've done nothing to it yet. It runs strong, but I got it for 500$ so I'm not expecting much. First things out of the gate though are tires and new battery. The tires are so dry rotted and cracked they are a real danger, and the battery will just barely hold enough charge to crank over the bike 2 or 3 times before it drops below enough juice to crank it over. Second thing is a new seat or at least a seat cover as the one on there is torn up some.

If you have suggestions or links to cheap goodies/parts, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
You can find just about anything on https://www.gstwins.com but for OEM parts ebay is usually your best friend since there are so many of the bikes out there. I figured that might be why you wanted to change the sprocket for that reason, but most people end up changing it back to stock.

As far as the gymkhana is concerned it is more than likely going to be bikes in a parking lot with cones or cut in half tennis ball markers for a while. I have contacted a few people to try and get the idea planted for someone to host it. I was hoping to get a larger club interested to get more people involved.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Does this count as a area thread at this point? Cause I'd kinda like to know if theres anywhere worth checking for gear other than Motorangatang and I suppose cycle gear (Haven't been to this one yet)

If not, feel free to bite my head off, of course :V

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Motorangatang: The guy buys bikes at auction and resells them. I have friend who bought a super low mileage (800 miles?) 2013 ZX-6R ABS and some gear from him. But most of his gear caters more towards the cruiser crowd.

The BMW/Triumph dealership has a semi-decent selection of gear and hit-or-miss sales staff. They stock Arai helmets and Rev'It gear, to name a few.

Wood's Fun Center has some stuff, but also used-car-salesman level staff that will try to push the most expensive thing on you.

If you want a $60 tank top for your girlfriend, and red-white-green Sidis, you can check out the Ducati dealership next door.

Have a GIF from my track day at MSR:Houston this past weekend:

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

DrakIris posted:

Does this count as a area thread at this point? Cause I'd kinda like to know if theres anywhere worth checking for gear other than Motorangatang and I suppose cycle gear (Haven't been to this one yet)

If not, feel free to bite my head off, of course :V

Central Texas Powesports in Georgetown is where I buy stuff locally. Wood Fun Center can eat a bag of dicks.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Raven457 posted:

Central Texas Powesports in Georgetown is where I buy stuff locally. Wood Fun Center can eat a bag of dicks.

They [CTP] managed to tease me so hard, I'm looking for a 500f because for some reason I've found myself enamored with the idea of one for a first bike. They replied to my request with "Are you looking new or used" then told me they had neither after I replied. If they have a remotely decent stock of gear I'll have to give them a visit, though. I haven't been by woods fun center, was plotting it if I hadn't had any luck by then. I'll check out the BWM dealer, I'm really wanting to try some of the rev it stuff on. Long, lanky builds suck here in the US at times D: Thanks for the advise!

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Motorangutang is an awesome shop though. I can't recommend them enough.

Also if you need help with your bike Flash Motorbikes is one of the best shops around. If you want a great used bike Jeremy over there usually has something.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
I ended up suckering myself into a bike from Team Scream out of roundrock, unless they're a shop I should run screaming from in which case I'll just eat the 500$ security payment I made and run screaming :V 4k for a very lightly used 2013 CBF500F seems really fair though (840 miles, no visable damage)
*edit*
BMW dealership had a Rev It women's ignition one (Last season's I think) that fit me well size 44(with liner in), ~390$, which seems really steep for a out of date item (not that that'd make it lesss useful, my cheap rear end just hopes to get stuff cheap).
I guess I'll ask the gear thread for suggestions around that buuuut seeing as you guys know the area/local shops anything I should look for around motorangatan for the same fit? They're a TON closer.

DrakIris fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 27, 2014

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
You could always do what I usually do.. Go try on the gear at cyclegear and buy it online. I know its not "right" but who cares if I save a few hundred bucks.

Eh just be wary of Team Skream. They're known to be sometimes shady fucks. http://www.yelp.com/biz/team-scream-motorcycles-round-rock

They're known to buy a lot of auction bikes, but luckily in your case the bike you're buying is fairly new and a Honda. I doubt there will be much wrong with it and the price is fair on it. That bike is 5k+ new so its not a bad buy. I imagine they priced it that way because they had a hell of a time selling their CBR250Rs this spring/summer because they were priced 200 less than dealer price.

Good luck with your Honda and just keep in mind there are plenty of other places to get it serviced other than them.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
That last bit I'm WELL aware of, I intend to take it elsewhere if it has trouble myself and my car-wrenchy roommate can't tackle. The reviews scared me slightly, but the fact it was a like-new bike makes me feel fairly confident. He admitted it was a auction bike, but should that scare me?
Thanks for putting up with all my stupid questions, I'll openly admit I feel a bit over my head in terms of poo poo to do and know fairly at once (Gear, bike, ect)

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Well its the typical questions that come up with an auction bike. What auction did it come from? Was it an insurance auction, repo auction, police auction? Its a very low chance it was a trade in at a dealer auction. If it was you hit a jackpot. High chance it was a repo though.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Just got my email about the Harley Live Wire event. I am signed up for Saturday Nov 22nd at 2:00pm. Lets fill the Saturday with goonslots if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I signed up for 9 am on the 22nd, but may be going to Houston... So not sure if I'll be going or not. I did want to try an electric bike for free...

• Locked thread