Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Hi Goons,

I will be in Austin, TX on business in the second half of April, most likely weekends of April 19-20, and April 26-27

Question 1: What rental agency would you recommend to rent a Harley (i saw a few online but no idea of their quality, and most important quality of their bikes)

Question 2: Who would like to go out on a ride with an old Israeli biker, hang out, get some food, and show me some sights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

adary posted:

Hi Goons,

I will be in Austin, TX on business in the second half of April, most likely weekends of April 19-20, and April 26-27

Question 1: What rental agency would you recommend to rent a Harley (i saw a few online but no idea of their quality, and most important quality of their bikes)

Question 2: Who would like to go out on a ride with an old Israeli biker, hang out, get some food, and show me some sights?

Go here: Buzzmill coffee out back behind the place are a couple of food trucks, the food at The Blue Ox is very good. On Sunday they have an all you can eat pancake breakfast.

2222 is supposedly a good route to take around the city. You're fairly close to Texas hill country and there are some nice roads out there, such as the three sisters.

Unfortunately you'll miss out on the MotoGP craziness that happens the week before your first arrival date.

I'd have more info, but I'm in Dallas and don't know Austin very well.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
If you're near Waco, between Dallas and Austin, pull off and stop at the Czech Stop pastry shop in West, Texas. Even if you're not, it's worth the detour.

Oh, and Rudy's is the best barbeque you've ever had from a gas station.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Be careful on 2222. There are lots of accidents-- mostly because it's a nice winding road, but there's no divider. Last year a guy crossed the double yellow north of 360 and hit two motorcyclists-- just as an anecdote. That being said, Lost Creek Road is nice ride around Lake Travis, and going around the north side of the lake up to Horseshoe Bay is a nice way to spend a few hours.

I believe there is also a guy who rents touring bikes (like the BMW GS). I think he also happens to work at the Triumph dealership, so you might enquire there about other renters.

Regarding BBQ, the current argument is that Franklin's is the best. However, there is always a line, and he always runs out. As an alternative, I've also heard Micklethwait is very good, and doesn't have the line. Cheap, and delicious hangover food can be had at Juan in A Million.

Another place to hit up is the Tacodeli at Spyglass. They're only open for breakfast and lunch.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 17, 2014

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Thanks for the info guys :)

Much appreciated.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Pretty sure that Cowboy Harley-Davidson does Harley rentals. They're south-side of Austin, not too terribly far from the airport.

They've always been cool whenever I went there before I sold my Harley. Still a dealership, but generally decent folks.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Be aware, Austin does this weird highway / frontage road thing that confuses the heck out of GPS sometimes. Be prepared to miss your stops and have to make strange U-turns until you figure it out. Traffic speeds are also -very- high in spots.

I'd go for a ride and a beer but I'm on the opposite end of the country.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Snowdens Secret posted:

Be aware, Austin does this weird highway / frontage road thing that confuses the heck out of GPS sometimes. Be prepared to miss your stops and have to make strange U-turns until you figure it out. Traffic speeds are also -very- high in spots.

Frontage roads are the best thing since paved roads... I wish the rest of the country had parallel highway access roads :(

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Snowdens Secret posted:

Which opposite end? I will also be in NYC and San Francisco area so if you are anywhere near, beers are on me :)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
NYC area, but outside the city. I'm off every other weekend so let me know when you're in town and maybe I can swing in.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
If my bike is finished in time (it wont be) I would love to come out, but if you find your way south towards San Antonio let me know and I can show you a couple chill spots to go out in the hill country.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If my bike is finished in time (it wont be) I would love to come out, but if you find your way south towards San Antonio let me know and I can show you a couple chill spots to go out in the hill country.

Speaking of south, take a ride around Canyon Lake and the dam. That area is also very nice.

I've lived here for several years, and I still get confused at this interchange:

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
The Texas frontage road system is loving stupid and difficult to navigate if you're new to the area or used to living in large city areas where you can turn left or right at a freeway offramp. To go to a place that is on the right side of the road you have to leave the freeway a mile or two before you can see that place, if you exit when you see it you'll end up on the frontage road beyond it, have to get back on the freeway going the opposite direction, and then get off the freeway and do a U-turn before your location. There are a couple of two-way frontage roads up and down I35, which would be great except for the fact the offramps feed directly through the oncoming lane of traffic with only a yield sign controlling the intersection, so as a motorcyclist you will see someone appear to yield to you when you're getting off the freeway but if they don't actually see you you'll have a head on collision at 50mph.

2222/Bullock Hollow Rd is really fun and scenic in parts, but tons of blind corners, little/no shoulders, gravel everywhere, and people running wide. Run it slow a few times before trying to be spirited. Other country roads have high speed limits and lots of trees on the side, so watch out for deer and hogs.

I moved away from Austin about 6 months ago and miss it. Alamo Drafthouse, Barton Springs, Lonestar Kolaches, Rounders pizza. Part of being in Austin is that you have to be too cool for everything that mainstream tourists would enjoy, even if that stuff is fun, so barwalk 6th street, check out the bats under the bridge if they're in season, enjoy good food and beer on Rainey, and then tell everyone it's nothing but a bunch of frat douches and you hated it. :coal:

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Howdy, I'm in Austin and there's a chance I might be free for those weekends!

If you want to stay close to the city, 22 is a nice ride but it's fairly short. If you're wanting to spend a little more time riding around thankfully there's some of the best riding in Texas not too far away.

Lime Creek/Volente road is near the city, and it's pretty drat twisty. I see tons of other riders on it every time I'm on it:

https://goo.gl/maps/lne6o

If you're looking for less curvy stuff better suited to a relaxing cruise, there are a few more.

1431 is leading to Marble Falls is really pretty, and the Bluebonnet Cafe out there has some great pie:

https://goo.gl/maps/N0qhq

Likewise 12 and 32 known as the Devil's Backbone is really pretty also:

https://goo.gl/maps/6wV9d

There are a lot of pretty places to wander around in the Canyon Lake area.

If you're looking for much longer or more complicated rides, you can head out further West past Kerrville to the Three Sisters as were mentioned earlier, but that's quite a ride, a lot of people try to overnight it because to get there and back from Austin, while enjoying the roads, will be 8-12 hours. If you don't mind spending 3-5 hours on the bike, you can head out to either Lost Maples State Park, or Enchanted Rock State Park, both of which are pretty rides and pretty destinations.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

edit: If you're up early and want to see some beautiful natural areas, Hamilton Pool is loving amazingly gorgeous, and it's a decent ride - just know that you'll have to walk about a half mile when you get there to see the pool.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Korwen posted:

edit: If you're up early and want to see some beautiful natural areas, Hamilton Pool is loving amazingly gorgeous, and it's a decent ride - just know that you'll have to walk about a half mile when you get there to see the pool.

If you try to go to Hamilton Pool, get there as early as possible. I've tried to go twice and both times I did not get in because they limit the number of people and vehicles in the park.

The pool will also be closed occasionally after heavy rains or if the bacteria level in the water is too high.

edit: Obligatory Hamilton Pool photo

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Also seriously take a ride along the Devil's Backbone you will not regret it the entire ride is so pretty.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Well at least for now the weather forecast for this weekend looks pretty decent, and I have a whole lot of nothing going on. Anyone else around here getting out of the house?

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
April 26, 10am, Round Rock harley dealership. If anyone wants to join for a ride, I will be there with my rental softail slim

Hope someone can make it :)

Agenda: ride, find a place to eat lunch, ride some more, and have fun.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

adary posted:

April 26, 10am, Round Rock harley dealership. If anyone wants to join for a ride, I will be there with my rental softail slim

Hope someone can make it :)

Agenda: ride, find a place to eat lunch, ride some more, and have fun.

Gonna do my best to make it out there for this. Not sure how long I'll have, so I may peel off sometime after lunch.

Since you're up North, heading out down 1431 isn't a bad bet, and depending upon how long you want to ride, you could make your way South of Marble Falls or Llano (Llano's has a pretty popular BBQ spot) and try to make it down near Fredricksberg or the Canyon Lake area.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Korwen posted:

Gonna do my best to make it out there for this. Not sure how long I'll have, so I may peel off sometime after lunch.

Since you're up North, heading out down 1431 isn't a bad bet, and depending upon how long you want to ride, you could make your way South of Marble Falls or Llano (Llano's has a pretty popular BBQ spot) and try to make it down near Fredricksberg or the Canyon Lake area.

I planned out a route that will take me through the twisty roads around Lake Travis, Balcones Canyonlands, Marble Falls, Pedernales river and such. should be interesting :)

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make this, but I pm'd you my phone number in case you need anything. I hope you have a great ride!

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Korwen posted:

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make this, but I pm'd you my phone number in case you need anything. I hope you have a great ride!

It's ok man :) I went out for a ride and had a blast. Took the 2222, Lime Creek, had lunch in Marble Falls (Blue Bonnet of course) and then back to Austin via other twisty roads whose names/numbers I can't remember

The only problem is I want a Street Glide now!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

2222 and Lime Creek are fantastic. Shame the lake is so low and the weather was meh but great roads.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I'm transferring to Austin this summer! I will probably be moving out sometime in July. I don't know anyone in the area, so if any of you guys/gals are up for some goon rides, I'd be interested in doing that!

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
Anybody up a ride this weekend? I've yet to explore anything out here. That 2222/lime creek loop looks fun, but I'm down for whatever as long as it gets me out of the city.

*cough*ROTrally*cough*

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

dreggory posted:

Anybody up a ride this weekend? I've yet to explore anything out here. That 2222/lime creek loop looks fun, but I'm down for whatever as long as it gets me out of the city.

*cough*ROTrally*cough*

I'm headed out there today from houston. Leaving in like an hour and I can keep you posted when I'm closer into town.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
Awesome, please do!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I'll be in town 7/2-7/8 if anyone wants to ride, that would be super legit

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Moved from northern California to Round Rock a couple weeks ago. Still settling in, but we like it so far! I really miss lane splitting, though. You have such wide lanes here. It'd be perfect for it!

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Day Man posted:

Moved from northern California to Round Rock a couple weeks ago. Still settling in, but we like it so far! I really miss lane splitting, though. You have such wide lanes here. It'd be perfect for it!

I know. Too bad if you did it in Texas someone would probably pull a gun on you and call you an rear end in a top hat.

I'm also in Austin and a brand new rider.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I'll be back in Austin permanently around the end of August we should, whats the proper CA protocol here.. Wheelie around into mail boxes?

Took a little day loop for giggles when I was down in early July.

Austin->Lockhart->Seguin->New Braunfels->San Marcos->Wimberly->Dripping Springs->Austin

Guess it ended up being ~200mi all said and done.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

I'm down!

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

SeaborneClink posted:

I'll be back in Austin permanently around the end of August we should, whats the proper CA protocol here.. Wheelie around into mail boxes?

Took a little day loop for giggles when I was down in early July.

Austin->Lockhart->Seguin->New Braunfels->San Marcos->Wimberly->Dripping Springs->Austin

Guess it ended up being ~200mi all said and done.

I'll be out of the country till sept, but I'm down for some riding once it gets a little cooler if you guys can put up with a new rider coming along.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Harley LiveWire riding event in Nov. Goons sign up before we're overrun by guys in chaps.
https://project.harley-davidson.com/en_US/events/2451

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Signed up, only because I want to see how they'll get an electric bike to leak oil. Maybe an add on reservoir for it?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I signed up. Wonder how you get selected.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Anyone get an email from Harley yet?

I'm serious about the goon meat at this nonsense if we all get an invite.

Other than that would anyone be into gymkhana at all? There is no one doing it in town and could turn into a thing if we feel like it.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Minkee posted:

Anyone get an email from Harley yet?

I'm serious about the goon meat at this nonsense if we all get an invite.

Other than that would anyone be into gymkhana at all? There is no one doing it in town and could turn into a thing if we feel like it.

I signed up for the Dallas rides of the livewire and haven't heard anything yet.

If you set up a gymkahna even, I'll drive the 3 hours to take part. Even if all I get to do is timing and judging.

(I just bought a gs500, I'll have to see if I can get a 2 or 3 tooth bigger rear sprocket.)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I signed up for the Austin event and haven't heard anything back yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Skreemer posted:

I signed up for the Dallas rides of the livewire and haven't heard anything yet.

If you set up a gymkahna even, I'll drive the 3 hours to take part. Even if all I get to do is timing and judging.

(I just bought a gs500, I'll have to see if I can get a 2 or 3 tooth bigger rear sprocket.)

Its easier to go down on the front sprocket btw. http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=53915.0

It also might end up making your top speed complete poo poo if you go up too much in the rear. That is honestly why a lot of GS500 owners don't do it. Have you done anything else to the bike yet such as the lunchbox filter, jetting, exhaust, throttle tube?

• Locked thread