Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
For cats, I am partial to food names, myself. Almond, Butternut, Cashew, Okra, Cherry, Cereal, Apricot, Carrot, Parsley, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
I've never kept the names my pets came with but at present we have:

Dylan, named after Bob Dylan and referred to as Dillybobs, Bob dog, Mr Bobs, Mr Bobjangles, Boblings, Bob-a-job, Furrypants, Twatface and Lurpack (after eating an entire pack of butter).
Abby aka Abbington/Schizo/Noisecat.
Fanny the Wonder Cat aka Fatty/Baby/Beardcat/Chops/Fatronus.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

I tend to name my cats based on the roads I found them on; my older cat I adopted, many moons ago, out of a house on Miles road. My younger cat I found as a kitten on the shoulder of 880, the Nimitz highway.

My dogs so far have just been "spanish word :effort:", Mano and Rio.

aol keyword party
Sep 27, 2005

you can find a pleasure of shooting prolific amounts of pictures,
The names of my pets seem arbitrary, I've been learning though that you can name a cat seemingly whatever the hell you want without consequence, but I dunno.

My first adopted Boston Terrier's name was originally Charlie. I'm weird about naming dogs the same as people, so we changed it to "Sweet Dreams," but we call him "Sweetie," despite being a total rear end in a top hat and not a sweetie by any stretch. The name came from some book I read way back where a cat was named Sweet Dreams. The name seems to suit him, now, I can't imagine calling him anything else. People at the dog park think it's weird that I have a male dog with a feminine sounding name but THAT'S MY BUSINESS NOT YOURS, CRAZY LADY.

My other Boston is on paper named "Baby Bee," we wanted to call her Baby, but we just call her Bee, because she's shaped like a little bee and it's easy to call out. More people call her sweetie because of her personality, which is confusing.

I'm partial to names like old Westminster show dogs too.. Like the best in show for 1926 was a wire terrier named "Signal Circuit of Halleston."

As far as shelter naming goes, that's a really cool part of your job! I've been to shelters before where they just named all the animals after celebrities. My friend's cat is still named Angelina Jolie.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
My retired racing greyhound is Fuzzys Lady Gaga (seriously, check her out on Track info). We checked her out in part because of the name, and so we kept the name. We are Lady Gaga fans.

However, if we got one with a less exciting name, like Ace, we would have definitely changed it. However, the racing stable she came from names them all after celebs, so if we got another with a cute name, we might just keep it that way. My wife and I have talked about getting a second, and if we get another boy greyhound, he's going to be Freddie Mercury (Freddie for short). Kind of a matched set, if you will.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Kitty | cat | female - was originally Isabelle, but my husband kept calling her kitty, and so it took less than a week for Isabelle to fade into oblivion. Also called Fatty, Fat Cat, Princess, and most often KeyKey.

Hektor | cat | male - named after Hektor of Troy, from the Iliad. My husband regrets suggesting this name because he actually likes it as a childs name. Sucka. Hek also goes by Hektor Bear, Hektor Dog, Hektor the Protector and Schmek.

Knubbs | cat | male - Knubbs is an 18 year old manx we adopted last year from the shelter. His name was Taz and we thought it was dumb. Knubbs because he has a nub tail. Also called Knubbsley, Knubblet and Knurbbs. That's right, we changed a 17 year old cat's named. He responds to Knubbs, but it took a few months.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
My last two pets:

Mr Pixel: a gigantic brown rat; always described as 'handsome' by people who met him. We chose the name Pixel fairly spontaneously and he became Mr Pixel over time because he was very dignified and reserved for a rat.

Miss Glitter: a tiny, malnourished, and mite-infested albino rat that we got as a rescue after some idiot kid down the street bought her from a petshop and promptly did nothing to care for her. Glitter was very white (she would disappear into her nest because she blended so well with the shredded tissues and nesting material), very small, and very fast so it seemed appropriate.

Both rats passed away earlier this year and we are getting a puppy soon (a black Havanese) and my wife is adamant that we should call the new puppy 'Scruffles' which is cute but way too much of a 'pet name' for me. I am tempted to call the puppy 'Skullcrusher' after one of the dragons from How To Train Your Dragon but I think that might be almost as silly as Scruffles.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
I named my latest cat Biggie Smalls, because my mom thought it was a good idea :3:

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
reasons you do not let your 8 year old name the pet after what video game they're playing: I named my first pet zul'jinn (before any of you have a heart attack about being old, it was War2...)

I ran into the woman i rescued my dog from, who gave me his papers that confirm he is apparently a chihuahua (bullshit he's an AKC purebred chihuahua. he's a BYB giant. 10 pounds and he's solid muscle) and he is in fact named Carlos Santana. Way to make a steretypical hispanic name for a chihuahua slightly less racist. At least go whole hog and name him jose cuervo.

lagcats
Oct 7, 2014

you know the deal
I have four cats

Emma
Gidget
Mamba

and then my cat who had kittens when she was young some years ago i just call her mama kitty

WereJace
May 16, 2006

Beast Wars
Pazuzu | dog | male - my girlfriend named him, she wanted to name something Pazuzu, whether it was dog, fish, cat, kid...we just happened to get the dog first.

Fiyero | dog | male - the breeder told me that the naming theme for the litter's registered names was going to be 'music', so I picked a couple of names from Wicked as possibilities. I didn't know if I was getting a male or a female at the time, so I decided that a boy would be Fiyero while a girl would be Elphaba or Galinda based on personality.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

cyberia posted:

Both rats passed away earlier this year and we are getting a puppy soon (a black Havanese) and my wife is adamant that we should call the new puppy 'Scruffles' which is cute but way too much of a 'pet name' for me. I am tempted to call the puppy 'Skullcrusher' after one of the dragons from How To Train Your Dragon but I think that might be almost as silly as Scruffles.

Scruffles Skullcrusher is a perfectly apropriate name for a black havanese.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I call my kitten Lester the Molester because his name is Lester and there's really not much else that goes with that. :smith:

Wraithson
Sep 8, 2011

lagcats posted:

I have four cats

Emma
Gidget
Mamba

and then my cat who had kittens when she was young some years ago i just call her mama kitty

Speaking of Pazuzu, which is technically the name of a sumerian daemon, my dog is named Amagi ((return to the earth) also, freedom), which is sumerian as well :) He's a pittie mix. I find it interesting how they find "death", freedom.

He also goes by Bubba, Nigga, rear end in a top hat, Dum-Dum, Sweetie-Boy, Bad-Bad-Bad!, Moggy Boy.

-Edit for extra dog-names.

Wraithson fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 30, 2014

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
Bella / cat / female / I read a book with a character named Arabella and thought it was a beautiful name. I decided my first pet would be named Bella, and then ended up with a totally gorgeous Siamese-point diva brat who fits it perfectly. This was several years pre-Twilight, for the record. AKA Princess PoofyPants, because of how fluffy her legs are, and Boofer.

Emmers / cat / female / Named "Emerald" by the shelter for her green eyes. I didn't like the name Emerald but felt weird renaming her, so we call her Emmers. AKA Emmercat.

Chase / cat / male / Chase was the hardest to name, and nothing seemed to stick for a while. But it's a name AND a verb, and it's his favorite thing to do. AKA Chaseywoo, Woowoo, Grumpycat. (He's not thrilled about Bastian joining the crew.)

Bastian / cat / male / the name of the kid in the attic in The Neverending Story. AKA Squeakytoy.

Had either Chase or Bastian been female, they would have been Ophelia.

My suggestion on names: go for Shakespeare, go for Greek mythology, go for LoTR, go for anything fanciful that sounds like "it's pretty, but if you name a kid that, that kid would totally be allowed to punch you in the face for it."

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I knew an amazing Bengal named Disco. He was fat and I love him. He went on a grand adventure and moved to England, though.

Saw another cutie named Butters, he's very soft and the color of Butter so it's totally appropriate.

When I volunteered at the MSPCA they just grouped the cats and named them all based on a theme. So like all the unnamed cats that came in at a similar time were named after like...Mexican food! or Star Wars! Last time I was there they had a group of kittens all named after the Big Bang Theory cast.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Half of my pets don't have names but some of the ones that do are:

Biscuit, Wally, Willard, Mr. Slithers, Elvis, Rolo, Judge Judy, Sneaky Pete, Doris, Oreo, Star, Orangie, Aggro, Cookie, and Roger.

So many snake.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

These are my shitheads. The one on the right is named Daisy and she got her name since it suggests sunny and warm which is the complete opposite of her personality. So when I got the other one 6 months later I decided to name him Hoke because, you know, I had just watched Driving Miss Daisy and I thought it was clever.

If I had a time machine I would have named them Kronk and Yzma (from The Emperor's New Groove) since that perfectly describes both their relationship and personalities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
All of our pets get human "-ie" names but they were all renamed after adoption, I can't say their shelter names ever affected who we chose.

• Locked thread