Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

So I just started volunteering for a no-kill animal shelter in the NE region. One aspect of my position entails the naming of cats, dogs, and various critters. I'm one of those people who gets oddly specific about this. What I want from you, fair people, are some names to use! What names do you like? Did the name of an animal you adopted influence you in any way? Did any dissuade you? What did you name your own pets, and why?

If you can, I'd like Name/Species/Sex/Personal reasons for the name, if applicable. I honestly think a name can carry a lot of weight-consciously or subconsciously-in an adopter. I want to get these lovely little cats, dogs, and assorted creatures the best possible homes. I want-if they are not already named-to have something unique.

If all else fails, how about favorite pet names? I named my orange cat 'Hobbes' out of love for the cartoon 'Calvin and Hobbes'. Although it was almost Jonesy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
I don't have any specific suggestions but my local shelter does themed names for litters or large groups of cats/dogs that come in. Usually something like 'Ghostbusters' or 'TMNT' or 'Flowers'. That might be a good way to start :) Pick a favourite movie and start a naming spree with the characters!

I personally don't think names are super important at a shelter, especially with animals that aren't dogs. Because, let's be honest, my kittens name is 'Ziggy Stardust' officially (because cats need stupid as gently caress names) but she responds to Kitten, Shitbird, or Fatass just as well. Most people that I know renamed any adopted animals.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
We chose Artemis' name before we even found her. I like names that are unique, but not outlandish. I wouldn't really think twice about "Bubba" or "Josephine", but stuff like (obviously) "Artemis" or other old-timey names really catch my interest.

If I were in a position to adopt a pet, and I found a puppy with a name similar to that which a redneck from BFE would name their child, I would immediately feel sorry for that little dude or dudette and think of other cool names I could change it to.

As Emily said, I think most people rename when it doesn't suit. Our other puppy, Jada, came to us named that way. It's not what we would've picked, but she responded to it and it was unconventional enough that I was OK with it. Now, I think it's adorable, but that's another story.

My fiance doesn't seem to ever use their names. "Cutie", "booga", and "butthead" are all interchangeable for them which I don't really like. Once you pick a name you like you should stick with it, in my opinion, but "pet names" do come up quickly and often at home :(

If it were me, I'd keep an old mythology book, or something else by which to draw inspiration, nearby and then spend 10 minutes with each new animal and try to gauge personality. It's hard, I know, to figure it out so quickly but I'd hope that something would come to mind.

Sounds like a fun job though, and have fun doing it!

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
It's totally possible to change a pet's name even if they already respond to their current name. You just add the new name onto the end of the old one for a while. Buddy becomes Buddy-Zuul for a couple of weeks before you start calling him Zuul. Heck, I even know someone who was adopted as a toddler and had her name changed like that with no issue.

I'm fond of themed names for shelter pets, like city names (Tokyo, Paris, Adelaide, Houston, Vegas...). Comic books and massive works of literature like Lord of the Rings are also full of awesome names that might not be too weird for the masses. Just make sure the name rolls nicely off the tongue, one of my friends has a foster dog named Bermuda and I've always found it a bit awkward to say.

I am incredibly fond of weird names, I absolutely should not be naming shelter pets. My next dog will probably be Brontosaurus, Godzilla, Yog-Sothoth, Cthulhu, or Pazuzu.

Brisbane/dog/male/Read it somewhere and had it floating around in my head when I was planning to get a puppy, Googled it and learned it was the capital of Queensland, and my dog is half Queensland heeler so it fit. However I am a stupid American and pronounce it Briz-bayne, and refer to hime as Mr. Bane when he is in trouble.

Ru/dog/male/Husband named him for his similarity to a kangaroo, I spelled it weird so I wouldn't have a lame Winnie-the-Pooh dog. Dog turned out to be a lame Winnie-the-Pooh dog anyway, and everyone else has also named their dog Roo/Rue. I regret this name choice.

James/cat/male/Named after my favorite band.

Solstice/cat/female/Husband named her for being black and orange and therefore related to Halloween.

Youma/cat/female/Japanese word for demon. Probably an undead zombie cat.

Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo/parrot/female/Is actually a complete and grammatically correct sentence. Told PI to give me a ridiculously long name that could be easily shortened to "Buffy".

Vale of Pnoth [sic]/parrot/male/From my typo-infested edition of Lovecraft stories.

F. Scott Fitzgerald/cockatiel/male/Named my cockatiels after modernist authors, actually goes by "Scotty the Gimp"

T.S. Eliot/cockatiel/female/See above.

Ramses von Niblick the Third Kerplunk, Kerplunk, Whoops Where's My Thribble?/gecko/male/Asked PI for a long and complicated name.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Doobie/dogs/male/GBS is retarded

The Juggernaut/cat/male/silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me.

Rover (or Spike)/dog/male/it's a simple and normal dog name that makes it clear that it's just a dog without needing to clarify. People will appreciate this.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
City names / places are always good for pets, and generally as cities have personalities, they can be matched to the dog/cat you are naming.

For example, my Golden Retriever is named Boston. He was close to being Denver, but there was also a last dinosaur named Denver and I didn't want the two getting confused.

Weather is also a good one to use. Stormy, sunny, windy, cloudy, etc. all work and can be tied to certain personality traits.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
I know someone who uses paint chips to name animals. River Blue! Grassy Fields! Maple Sugar! Violet Mist!

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
When I adopted my two kittens from the local shelter they had the names Nina and Camilla. Neither now have those names. I definitely picked them based on their personality and cute faces, it had nothing to do with their shelter names and I quickly renamed them when I brought them home. Now they are Terra and Caeli.
They were so young they didn't know their names anyway so it didn't matter to them.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience
My husband named a couple of foster cats after Pedro Martinez and some other Red Sox player. On their cage cards he wrote how one cat's extra toes enabled him to catch fly balls in the outfield and stuff like that. They were adopted pretty quickly.

krazysigmarite
Jun 18, 2011

Grimdark.
Cats respond better to names ending with '-ee' sounds and higher-pitched human voices. My suggestions would be Tommy, Bobby, Billie, Charlie, Daphne, Jessie. It sounds dumb and cutesy but SCIENTIFICALLY SPEAKING it's totally legitimate. Some other names that are totally awesome and would just make me want to adopt a cat are random long-rear end names like SERGEANT FLUFFY BOOTS/COMMANDER JACK OF THE 6TH DIVISION/STANNIS BARATHEON, FIRST OF HIS NAME/SIR CHARLES EDISON WINCHESTER.

If you have a brood of kittens, you could theme them with awesome science/space names such as: Proton, Isotope, Particle, Nebula, Iridium, Kepler 22b, Malachite, Neutron, Beaker, Ionic, Large Hadron Collider, Tachyon.

I really hope you use my horrible suggestions on all the cats.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Pickle (female tuxedo cat) was originally Pepper until I decided I liked the sound of Pickle more. So officially she's Pickle, but she's also Pickle-poo, Fat Kitty, Bratface, and Baby Kitty, because I am retarded and cannot not baby-talk my cat.

My brother's cat is officially Fritz but he's also known as Fred, Freddo, Judge Fredd, or Freb.

I'm unreasonably fond of people names for animals, like Fred, Dave, Billy, Charlotte, Karen, or Eliza.

Just imagine a cat named Karen.

wootsie
Feb 27, 2013
I am also a fan of people names for pets. My dog is Bea (Beatrice when she's being bad), and my parent's cat is Albert. She came with the name Allie, but it became Albert, then Alberto, then Alberto V05 Hot Oil, and then Alberto Bennini Happy Pants or Cranky Pants depending on her mood (most often Cranky Pants). She still gets called Allie, but with the understanding that her real name is Albert. I also had a cat growing up named Harry, or Harold P. (lastname). The P stood for Periwinkle. I had a friend who had a tiny kitten that he named Hank. :3: My hamster was (she died four years ago) Francine.

I like old lady names, like Gladys and Pearl, too. And Gus and Bubba for fatty cats.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I name a lot of things every year and I find it helpful to have themes so I can just pick a name from my theme for that type of animal.

The jacob sheep are plant names (Juniper, Thistle, Aster, Primrose, Bramble, Rowan, etc), the cormos are pastry/baked goods (Beignet, Flapjack, Bialy, Madeleine, Eclair), the romeldales are war/tank themed (Sherman, Goliath). I have whole lists of names all set so when new ones are born I just pick a name from the list that fits them.

Here and here are good places to find themes.

Arbor
Jun 9, 2010
I dont often end up in the situation of needing a lot of names, but when I do I end up a bit like Instant Jellyfish. I pick a theme and run with it.

Like we found a dog four days before she had a litter of puppies. After naming the mom Pepper - each of the puppies got spice/herb names too. (Wasabi, Fennel, Nutmeg - three black and tan dogs, and Basil, Sage, Rue, Thyme and Sassafras for Generic Brown puppies.)

Or for a short while after fostering a dog named Ford - the next couple of dogs that came through ended up with Lincoln and Dodge, etc.

quote:

Did the name of an animal you adopted influence you in any way? Did any dissuade you? What did you name your own pets, and why?

Of my dogs, Flynn's original owners had named him Emmett, which I thought was unbelievably unattractive and I hated it and it made absolutely no impact on my choice to rename him other than making me regret taking so long to decide on a name. The shelter told me they wanted to rename him Spike - which I ALSO hated and thought was super stupid to name an incredibly timid big black dog "Spike."

Flynn makes stupid pirate noises to reassure me that he's still alive, so I named him after Errol Flynn.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
We are owned by 5 cats.

1)Robbie: (striped barn cat rescue, age 17 years)

Robbie started off as Robin, since he and his late brother (Littlejohn aka Stimpy...RIP) were found in a wooded area in Sherwood, OR. He has gone through many versions...Robsie, Robere, Berto, Robbie-San.

For many years now, he has gone by the most honorable name of Senor Roberto Alfonso DelGato the Mexican Food Loving Cat. He will do anything for Mexican food, especially refried beans, taco sauce, enchiladas etc. I still call him my Bertie Boy, though.

2)Pixie: (long tailed Pixie-bob, age 10 years)

Pix started off as Elise, but somehow it changed into Pix or Pixels. I however call her Beautiful when I sing to her (she likes "Good Morning Beautiful") and she answers to it. Her preferred mode of address is Pretty. She is, and she knows it too well. She is my kitty, and is so affectionate to us. We often call her Princess GrumpyGuts because she is known to give evil evil looks when she is displeased. She is also very smart for a kitty, and between her and Kiki they get into trouble.

She is the undisputed Queen of the House, and rules all with her Iron Paw. She keeps everyone in line. When we leave we have to say "Bye guys, Pix is in charge!!" or she comes racing down the hall bitching at us. For a tiny cat she knows how to be in charge.

3)Newton: (domestic shorthair, orange with white bib, belly, and socks, age 10 years)

Fat Newton was Newton from the beginning. We saw him and both of us though he looked like a Newton. He often goes by Fat Newton, Newt, Newtie, FatAss, Captain Chunks, Col. Pumpkinbutt III. He is a large cat, about 18 pounds, and the vet says he is not really fat, just big. However though, we have thought we have noticed planetary bodies or small moons pulled into his gravitational field. Then again, might be just dust bunnies.

We however shame his mercilessly and force him to admire his chubbiness in the mirror and slap him with our hands on his thighs like we are playing the drums while he purrs and says oh please stop (no keep going). He is also known as Beatings Cat, and he loves to get beat...every day and then some. He's the largest cat in the house, and the biggest scaredy cat too.

4)Kiki: (striped rescue kitty from PAWS, age 2)

When we first saw her as a 16 week old kitten, the shelter had her named Kelly. We didn't like that and didn't think it fit her. We saw her in the shelter, and my husband gravitated to her and she to him within seconds of seeing each other. He likes some singer he listed to in England called Kiki, and since this particular little kitty "sang" to him the whole time, he called her that. Apparently like the human version, this kitty has long legs and a sweet voice...or so I have been informed. Kiki is also known as Naughty Cat, as well as Kekes, Pretty, Miss Longlegs McGee, and You Little Wench, and most recently Troublemaker.

She is a bit of an instigator, and is too smart for her own good. Kiki loves puzzle boxes and figuring stuff out, so that is how most of her toys are that she plays with. She and Pix hit it off and they are the best of buddies, we often joke that Pix is training her as her protege as Heir to the Throne.

5)Joey: (white w/tabby hood and blanket and tail, age 1.75 years, adopted from PAWS with Kiki)

He is MY kitty, and a snuggler. The shelter had named this 8 week old kitten Eyebrow for the distinctive marking he has. I hated that name. So on the way home we were talking to him in his box, and I was telling him that Eyebrow sounds like a Mafia nickname, and my husband thought it was funny. He started calling him mobster names like Joey "The Eyebrow" Lorenzo and it stuck. Joey also seems to have taken the Mafia thing to heart, and will do anything for Italian food. Pasta is a huge thing for him, he will walk over burning coals backwards if it means he can have some. I love my cat, but he is more than a can short of a six pack. More like a can short and all of them empty as well. Bugs is not the brightest of critters...he just counts on his brute size to get him out of thinking.

When he is in full snugglemood, he is my Joeybeans (because of his big black jellybean pads that I play with) or Joeybugs, which ends up being dropped to Bugsy Lorenzo (sometimes Malone but we usually end up making it Lorenzo) or just plain Bugs. His Indian name is Joey-get-out-of-Fridge because his goal in life is to somehow get into the magic cold box of Noms and make it his own.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 22, 2014

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Nthing the opinion that the shelter names are going to have next to no influence on an adopter's choice. I picked my two cats based on their personalities and how they interacted with each other. They had been named "Mingus" and "Aubrey" by the shelter but they were immediately renamed to Hutu and Tutsi after the warring Ugandan tribes. It makes it extra cute when they get into fights.

My first cat I named Mr Furious cause he was an adorable kitten. Then he grew into his name :( (ok it was probably my fault for letting him play a bit rough when he was a kitten but he was just too cute).

Nurse Chapel
Jan 16, 2014

I'm a doctor, not a nurse.

Nurse Chapel fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 23, 2014

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I think names can help with adoption if they're good. One of the rescues near me names their dogs silly nerdy things like Google, Atari, Konami etc. It sticks in people's heads more than Buddy and they might come back to the online listing later to show their friend the funny named dog. I think you should grab a thesaurus and find cool words that kind of work as names.

Zipper
Sofa
Piper
Slanket
Puffin
Etc.

My dog is named Gary because it fits him. He's a small scruffy terrier with an old man face.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I do have a personal list of way too common names though: ANY Lion King names, Roxy, and Kiba.

And I don't know how true this is or not, but I feel names are more important for dogs that learn commands so they can tell their own name apart, as well as the fact that they're more apt to remembering it. I suggest two-syllable names for dogs like this even if I didn't follow it for my own dog (Sofia, which can be shortened to Sophie at least). I agree with most others here that cats can have silly, super-long names because most times they don't care or only need to hear your voice to respond.

To contribute:

Dozer | Dog | Male | For any large-sized or older dogs since it can be taken as "dozing" for sleeping or short for "bulldozer," a large thing.
Pepper | Dog | Either | For the small, yappy, or excitable dog.
Chowder | Dog | Male | A pretty neutral name for any dog with a good appetite.
Layla | Dog | Female | Also a nice name for an older or obedient dog since they can "Lay" down.
Any name that's just 2 letters | Any | Either | Names like C.C., A.J., or J.D. is easily recognizable by the pet, especially the ones with same letters.

Fake edit: Looks like Pepper is already listed. Still a good name.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Someone thought my dog's name was RV on an entry form before, which I think would be an excellent dog name.

Ru | Dog | Male | This is his call name; his real name is Asparukh, named after the Bulgarian khan. He also gets called Pig or Pickle on a pretty frequent basis. Scary Ned's dog is the only other Ru I've heard of.

Stella | Dog | Female | She came from the shelter with the name Starla, which I knew I wasn't keeping. Generic as all hell, but it suits her ok. We were once in class with two other dogs named Stella.

Jake | Cat | Male | Named after a flash game. Usually called JJ.

Tim | Cat | Male | Shelter name of "Timmers".

Sage | Cat | Male | Who knows, I was 14.

We had cats named after biblical figures when I was growing up: Eli, Samuel, and Amos.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
I'm so terrible at naming so I feel your pain. I didn't even pick most of my animals' names, but here they are.

Marlowe/dog/male/ My boyfriend at the time we got him loved the Dark Tower. I have no idea who the character is. But it sounds kinda dignified. The dog is still under the impression that he has actual dignity sometimes when you offend him, so I guess it fits. He mostly goes by Muttley/Buttley/Pooper/Marmalade/Punky basically anything else but Marlowe unless you're telling him to do something. It's like using a kid's full name when they're in trouble.

Catface/cat/male/ Same boyfriend insisted that any cat we got have a stupid meow and an equally stupid name. Success.

Taco/cat/male/ A cat got dropped at work and I felt sorry for him after a while so I brought him home. My niece wanted to name him Creampuff but I told her no. He's fiesty, so fiesty > fiesta > taco.

Friendly/chicken/female/ Chicken jumps in your lap and tries to climb into the car with you.

Houdini/chicken/female/ drat escape artist chicken who has made my fence useless by teaching all the others to get out.

All the rest of the chickens don't get names, either I can't tell them apart or we're going to eat some of them, so I don't want to name them.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
My shelter cat was named Reggae while he was there, but he wasn't a long-hair so I changed it to Reggie.

Reggae would be an awesome name for a very chilled-out long-hair cat.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Our four (!) cats are named:

Galileo (after the astronomer)
Emily (after a Pink Floyd song, "See Emily Play")
Larsson (after the Swedish soccer play Henrik Larsson)
Max (aka Blue or Maximum Catte)

And lastly our bunny, Einstein due to his hairdo.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Rocket J. Kitty Cat: Named Rocket by the kid of my mom's friend who found her, we kept it and expanded because holy poo poo, that tiny kitty was fast.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

A Newfoundland and a small mutt terrier, named Wellington and Napoleon respectively. (Welly and Nelly for short.)

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?
Our puppy is Oliver; it was my turn to choose a pet's name but before I could think of anything, my wife said "He looks like an Oliver to me," just by way of suggestion, and it struck me so much that I agreed. Our cat is Rosie, because she's brown with black stripes, except right around her mouth where she has red fur. Rosy cheeks, get it? When we thought she was a boy her name was going to be Gabriel after the cat in the Crow. You can maybe see why I reserved the right to pick the next name.

Does...does anyone else give their pets middle names?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I did not rename my cat when I adopted her, but the tag said the following:

quote:

Dinah is a very sweet kitty. She was named after the kitty in the animated film "Alice in Wonderland," she is looking for her "Alice" to take her to her forever home.

I remember that simply because they said "animated film," instead of something like just "Alice in Wonderland," or even "Disney's Alice in Wonderland."

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Iron Crowned posted:

I did not rename my cat when I adopted her, but the tag said the following:

I remember that simply because they said "animated film," instead of something like just "Alice in Wonderland," or even "Disney's Alice in Wonderland."

Ahaha. That reminds me of a story.

My childhood dog was a fantastic black lab mix named Kelly. She was a saint. Extremely tolerant of us kids, very good on the leash, hellaciously protective of our property. Me and my little sister would watch Disney movies on the VCR all the time, and Kelly would usually join us. My sister was like, 4 at the time, and started calling Kelly 'Woo-seppa'. It was a cute name, and Kelly would answer to Kelly/Woo-seppa the same, so it was her nickname. For years. We had no idea why.

Until one day, I was 16 and sister was 14, and Cinderella comes on the tv. Kelly had just passed away, it was pretty sad. So then that evil Disney cat comes on, and sister's like "Aw, look, Woo-Seppa."

"Wait that cat? Lucifer?"

"Yeah, Woo-seppa."

We'd been calling our saintly dog Lucifer this whole time. Thanks sis.

McCloud24 posted:

Stanley Ann Dunham Obama Johnson is what's on her tag, and it's what I call her when she's been naughty. And Stanley is ALWAYS naughty.

Oliver continues to be the best name for a 1963 Opal Kadett.

http://imgur.com/FmCrLlg

\/\/\/

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm going to name the next rabbit I get J. Rabbit Loppenheimer.

I am become death, nibbler of cords.

\/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 25, 2014

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

McCloud24 posted:

Our puppy is Oliver; it was my turn to choose a pet's name but before I could think of anything, my wife said "He looks like an Oliver to me," just by way of suggestion, and it struck me so much that I agreed. Our cat is Rosie, because she's brown with black stripes, except right around her mouth where she has red fur. Rosy cheeks, get it? When we thought she was a boy her name was going to be Gabriel after the cat in the Crow. You can maybe see why I reserved the right to pick the next name.

Sadly, "Artemis Renee" and "Jada Marie". Those weren't my choice though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm going to name the next rabbit I get J. Rabbit Loppenheimer.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
All the dogs that I took to over the course of adopting the one I have now had terrible old lady names. Angel, Baby, Shadow. Meh. I don't like pet names that are really "petty" sounding, like Fluffy or Snowball or Patches. I know you can change an animal's name really easily, but I never could decide on a new one for Angel and after a while it just felt weird to. But in general, I like pets to have people names, especially unusual or old-timey sounding people names. Herman, Maggie, Molly, Wallace... those are just some I picked from one of the local shelter's page. One of their adoptables was a little terrier mix named Gunter and I thought that was the cutest thing ever. I don't like pop culture names for animals because that seems less personal to me. I dunno, personal preference thing. Once you've seen one ridiculously long/popculture-y name, you've pretty much seen them all, and the novelty wears out fast.

Also, I love it when people take their last name and make it their pet's middle initial, followed by their breed. Angel B. Dog.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
LOTUS / kitty/ female/ she is blue grey, exotic looking, and it's a pretty name

NOELLE / kitty/ female/ I found her near death around Christmas, got her back to health, and adopted her to a friend

JACK / kitty/ male/ he's an rear end in a top hat, good name for an orange cat, he's jack the pumpkin king

MOONSHINE /kitty/ female/ all black cat, from the children's book "Sam, bangs, and moonshine". It means tall tales

SPARKS /kitty/ female/ stray cat with bright green eyes

EMBERS /kitty/ female/ stray kitten with bright yellow eyes

SOLANGE/ rat/ female/ named after George sands daughter

DIESEL/ rat/ female/ cool name for a rat

PANDORA / rat/ female/ a curious rat

SACA/ rat/ female/ short for Sacajawea, she escaped from a lab and became a pet

EVA/ cat/ female/ a relatives cat. Nick named after hitlers wife because she was a little mean, the name stuck...

BUFFY/ cat/ female/ a relatives cat, named after Buffy the vampire slayer

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I have Dipper (Named by my little siblings) and Mandy (Named after an old cat of my grandma's.) They're two orange balls of fur and I love them both.

Everyone always says that Shelters give the worst names, but I must have gotten the only (and best) exception. We found a stray cat, once, that my mom named Oreo, and she didn't want him so he spent some time at the shelter before we finally adopted him...

They named him Brillo. Like a brillo pad. Because he was all scruffy. :D

catamar
May 23, 2008
Gansett's shelter name was Tweed. Gansett was our codename for a dog while we were looking because it sounds sporty and outdoorsy. It actually really fits him because he's the same color as Narragansett and he's the same shape as a can.

Holly's registered name is Dolly Parton. I think Dolly Parton is awesome and that it's rude to name dogs after living people, so we switched her to Holly Pepper. She responded to all kinds of olly names. She has little spots on her feet and face and sometimes she's sassy, so Pepper seemed appropriate.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Here how you pick dog name.

You sit down with dog, right, and you look deep into dog eyes. You do not smile or frown you just sit in silence and understanding. You watch and wait, and it come to you soon.

Then you call dog PUPPYPUPPYPUPPY and name no longer matters

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Fraction posted:

Here how you pick dog name.

You sit down with dog, right, and you look deep into dog eyes. You do not smile or frown you just sit in silence and understanding. You watch and wait, and it come to you soon.

Then you call dog PUPPYPUPPYPUPPY and name no longer matters

Then it bite you in face and you call it "you fucker"

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.
I work for a snow dog breed rescue. Lots of malamutes and huskies.

Snow, Bear, Simba, Polar, Kimba, weird Alaskan names (we live in Australia), jewel names.

A silly one I do is if they're easily identifiable as a breed, find out the top 100 names for that region.

e.g. German shepherd mix. I googled popular German girl names; got a list and picked Ottilie.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
Two female kittens: Marsha and Mellow. They were inseparable so we had to give them an inseparable name. Marshamellow

The shelter had initially named them "Em" and "Pen". The other one was "Nada". Guess what the staff had for lunch that day.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
My brother is the one who named all of our mother's cats, and being that he's a Final Fantasy nerd, they're all character names.

Cait Sith / male / his markings actually look a lot like the character, so it made sense.

Tifa / female / the only female in the bunch. Also she is a badass.

Cloud / male / white with gold markings.

Barret / male / he is, and I quote, "a big black bastard". He's a marshmallow on the inside though.

Two that mom had who are since deceased were Reno (ginger male; the character of the same name is a redhead) and Cid (white male with grey markings).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baika
Jul 8, 2011

Cap on, apply directly to the rats head.
A good thread to allow me to reflect on the number of names I have given to my pets over the years. (rats)

Remy: 1st rat, was a russian blue/grey color. Couldn't help myself
Citrus: Because his eyes looked like citrus fruits when glowing in the light.
Pogo: Because his hooded patterned resembled a shape that vaguely looked like a pogo stick
Rey: Just slapped an favorite anime character of mine onto him. I should have just given him the name shyguy, because he was smaller and a timid rat

Socks: Berkshire rat. White socks.
Jr: Another name slapped onto him.

Bandit: Capped hairless rat that looked like a Bandit. His nickname was Bandit Blackfoot, and Big black balled bald blackfooted bandit.
Pepper: His coat looked like pepper, so I stuck with it.

Ruby: Ruby eyes, and she was a girl

Quartz: Shelter name. Kept with it to keep with the gem theme
Jade: Shelter name. Kept with it to keep with the gem theme

Cap'n Jack: After the Eurodance group. He is also another capped rat, hence the spelling.
Sagan: After Carl Sagan, because his black fur with ticked white makes it look like the galaxy, that and he loves to explore and is braver than his brother, Cap'n Jack

I have a bad habit of not naming my pets right away. It takes me a couple of weeks.

• Locked thread