Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How dumb was pushing back the draft?
This poll is closed.
Really dumb 58 11.09%
95 18.16%
121 23.14%
Too much mustard 249 47.61%
Total: 523 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Intruder posted:

And sometimes cops say "I smell weed" to create probable cause whether they smell it or not
Also true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Intruder posted:

And sometimes cops say "I smell weed" to create probable cause whether they smell it or not

Yea, this. Cops pull this poo poo all the time just so they can get easy probable cause. In my freshman year in college I drove an Oldsmobile Delta 88 and had longish hair. The city I had to pass through to get to the highway was some fancy suburb of Dallas and I got followed by cops all of the time. I got pulled over for going 42 in a 40 and the officer said he smelled weed and began searching my car (I never kept weed in my car so it was complete bullshit.) Dude called another officer in while I'm just sitting on the curb and late for work at this point. This happened pretty frequently.

Mysteriously, all the cop bullshit stopped when I graduated and got a half decent car.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Maybe the police officer is one of the zillions of Browns fans in Northeast Ohio and knew there was a good chance Josh Gordon had weed in the car because that's what Josh Gordon does.

This is the first thing I thought.

Judge: "Why did you ask to search the car?"
Officer: "Your honor, Josh Gordon was driving."
CASE DISMISSED!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Kyle Shanahan said that Johnny Manziel has impressed him so far. Specifically, he reminds him of RG3.

If it was anyone else saying that, I would assume it was a compliment. On a related note, how does Kyle Shanahan have a job in the NFL?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Vengarr posted:

On a related note, how does Kyle Shanahan have a job in the NFL?

Name recognition. Greg Schiano has already landed a gig somewhere too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Kyle managed to distance himself from his dad in some way, and instead of things turning out like they would if Brian distanced himself from Marty it's kind of worked in his favor.

What I'm saying is Mike Shanahan somehow hosed up enough to make it look like his son is worthwhile.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
IIRC Kyle Shanahan actually had a decent reputation as an OC before coming to Washington, and even then it wasn't until his dad got their star QB's knee shredded and then hosed up managing around it that things really fell apart there. The problem is that in both Kyle's previous stops he was in systems with offensive-minded head coaches, and it's always difficult to discern how much influence the OC really has in those situations. But at least at first Washington did a very good job of adapting the offensive concepts RG3 excelled at in college to make his transition to the NFL pretty much seamless.

It's definitely not a Brian Schottenheimer situation, at least. Schiano's not really a great parallel either because he was always a Belichick crony so he just got absorbed back into the fold after his own career flamed out spectacularly, just like McDaniels before him.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 1, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Kyle Shannahan is the biggest reason I'm not worried about the Browns this year.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Grozz Nuy posted:

IIRC Kyle Shanahan actually had a decent reputation as an OC before coming to Washington, and even then it wasn't until his dad got their star QB's knee shredded and then hosed up managing around it that things really fell apart there. The problem is that in both Kyle's previous stops he was in systems with offensive-minded head coaches, and it's always difficult to discern how much influence the OC really has in those situations. But at least at first Washington did a very good job of adapting the offensive concepts RG3 excelled at in college to make his transition to the NFL pretty much seamless.

It's definitely not a Brian Schottenheimer situation, at least. Schiano's not really a great parallel either because he was always a Belichick crony so he just got absorbed back into the fold after his own career flamed out spectacularly, just like McDaniels before him.

I felt like the injury to RG3 really exposed Shanahan's inability to adapt. The complete inability to protect the QB the year after the injury falls at least partially on his shoulders. Just based on the games I watched, there were way too many deep drops and way too many sacks for a guy clearly still recovering for a major injury. Not to mention the Kirk Cousins debacle.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Vengarr posted:

I felt like the injury to RG3 really exposed Shanahan's inability to adapt. The complete inability to protect the QB the year after the injury falls at least partially on his shoulders. Just based on the games I watched, there were way too many deep drops and way too many sacks for a guy clearly still recovering for a major injury. Not to mention the Kirk Cousins debacle.
Maybe, but Kyle's tailoring of the offense to RG3's talents in his first year at least reflected some ability to adapt schemes to the players he had. The second year didn't look so good, obviously, and I don't want to ascribe every negative thing to Mike or anything, but I think everyone pretty much knows it was Mike behind the decision to push RG3 out there too early (and definitely behind the stupid Cousins thing late in the season)

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

het posted:

Maybe, but Kyle's tailoring of the offense to RG3's talents in his first year at least reflected some ability to adapt schemes to the players he had. The second year didn't look so good, obviously, and I don't want to ascribe every negative thing to Mike or anything, but I think everyone pretty much knows it was Mike behind the decision to push RG3 out there too early (and definitely behind the stupid Cousins thing late in the season)

The system in RG3s rookie year basically revolved around over-using RG3's very unique skillset, until it inevitably broke down once they overworked the athletically gifted, but fragile quarterback at the center of it.

Basically, enjoy 3/4ths of a season of peak Johnny Football until he's irreparably broken.

at least the browns get to draft in the first round for the foreseeable future.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Something neat, Darqueze Dennard is practicing even though he hasn't signed a contract yet.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Eifert Posting posted:

Something neat, Darqueze Dennard is practicing even though he hasn't signed a contract yet.

I assume that with the rookie wage scale, even if he gets injured in some freak way the Bengals are still on the hook to pay him, so hopefully he's not taking a huge dumb risk.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
New month, here's a new N/V thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639353

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Closing time, you don't have to go home but you can't post here

• Locked thread