Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Holy poo poo I am sunburned pretty badly. Hell of a fun day though. LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I had to put my cat down two months back. It was terrible, but he was 16 and decrepit. Normally he had just barely enough strength to jump up onto my lap when I went to sleep, and he'd be "little spoon" most nights I wasn't with my fiancee (probably for warmth), but then one morning poo poo went down. He forgot who he was, who people were, and how to eat. He just wandered from one corner of the house to the other. He would only take straight lines, and would walk over anything in his way, even if that meant taking a few hours to ascend a pile of clothes and books. At first, if he got stuck in a corner, he'd start yowling, but after a few days if it happened he'd just sit there and wait. I could pick him up, and he'd try to walk over my shoulder, or just go limp and look across the room. I couldn't get him to look me in the eye, and I don't think he even recognized that he was being held, only that he was temporarily unable to walk for a bit. If he'd wander into the litter box, he'd use it, but not bury anything, and he'd walk out with poo poo on his feet. He even walked through the food and water bowls one morning, just straight up walked right through while the other cats were eating.

This lasted about two weeks, with me being able to get him fed by wetting some dry cat food and putting him and the food underneath an overturned cardboard box, or in the shower stall (he'd eventually nibble on some food as he walked by). One day a week and a half in, he snapped back for about eight hours, and jumped up onto my lap and curled up and even purred a little (even though he could barely make a screech/meow/rusty chalkboard noise before this started, due to his age). That night he even slept as little spoon beside me on the couch.

About halfway through the night, though, he snapped back into crazy mode and I was woken up by him walking behind the chair and getting stuck in the recliner springs/mechanism (I heard the "ting ting ting" of the springs clattering back and forth as he tried to walk further). That day, he stopped eating totally. Two days later, he was so weak, but his brain so stuck on pathing around the house, I could see his muscles failing despite the shell of his mind commanding them to move. This may be sad, but I had a nitrogen setup from a year or so ago when I had to put my fiancee's rats down (I hated them but she loved them, and we were too poor then, as we were 'now' for the cat, to go to the vet). The tank was still mostly full, so I filled the box with N, gently placed him in it, and watched as he just slowly stopped moving, and then stopped breathing. It's pretty quick, and panic-less (CO2 doesn't work too well for larger animals, because if you gently caress up the air ratio and introduce it too slowly or too fast, they begin to panic because the body is "awake" enough to detect the higher CO2 levels, versus nitrogen because nitrogen doesn't increase CO2 levels in the blood, and CO2 concentration is what mammalian bodies gauge respiration and other things on), and I only wish I had done it days earlier.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

atomicthumbs posted:

Y'all need to listen to more fake 80s music. they make songs for us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB3ibdil2UM

Phone posted:

If you like 80s synth, give Com Truise a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMjCxV7u8OA

Sorry to deviate from sad cat chat, but I had to say :):hf::) to this and add:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5hDNa3qzZ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etGJUeYtdxE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feA64wXhbjo

Basically I want to buy an 80s turbo car, ideally with crazy 80s graphixx on it and a digital dash and drive around because when I was a kid I REALLY wanted to do that. If I could find a not rust bucket Nissan 200sx from the 80s that'd be awesome as it's the car I "learned to drive" in when I was 8 or so.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
She passed she was a breast cancer survivor with a few scares over the years but this time it got her started in the spine and made its way up. gently caress cancer

blk
Dec 19, 2009
It's my birthday today. A year ago I promised myself I'd be out of my poo poo town in a better job with some new skills under my belt annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I'm exactly where I was a year ago, only married and making a little more money. I guess I can't complain but poo poo is getting old. I've been so busy trying to keep everything together that I haven't had much chance to focus on my future; hopefully I can concentrate more on that now.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I discovered Washed Out last summer, and yeah they're fantastic for cruising and/or chilling.

June postin' in the May chat thread! (well, at least in my time zone)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Top floor

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

blk posted:

It's my birthday today. A year ago I promised myself I'd be out of my poo poo town in a better job with some new skills under my belt annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I'm exactly where I was a year ago, only married and making a little more money. I guess I can't complain but poo poo is getting old. I've been so busy trying to keep everything together that I haven't had much chance to focus on my future; hopefully I can concentrate more on that now.

Happy birthday. If that's you concerns list, don't ever have kids. Then you'll be on a treadmill for an extremely long time.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
Drive 3 hours to visit a friend for the long weekend and take advantage of his hoist to do a cambelt change. Find that the previous person didn't only loctite the crank bolt in place, they loctited the crank pulley to the engine. Took us 5 hours to do it in car (3S-FE), thanks Toyota.

Take it out for a spin to warm it back up after the coolant change, only to find that my clutch is now slipping in 5th. :thumbsup:

I could done both out of the car instead of contorting my elbows all afternoon... at least his kitten is cute and stupid.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
My mom died from cancer 18 years ago this week, still aint over it, don't know if you ever do

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

blk posted:

Happy birthday dude!

Stop making excuses for why you're living in a town that you hate and move. There is no better time than right now. Don't delay your happiness.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Got dragged to Kings Dominion today. I foresee a lot of overpriced beer and sitting in my future as I really am not a roller-coaster person. At least the lady is having a good time.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

First WRL race completed...12 hour endurance race at Brainerd International Raceway where it rained for half the day. I also drove for half the day and had maybe 4 laps where it wasn't pouring. drat good way to spend a day though, we even got my youngest brother to tag along as pit bitch. We got first in our class and 5th overall.

Driving music chat...I have a cheap Sansa Clip loaded up with Essential Mixes (BBC 1 radio show). Very good for road trips, fun drives and track days.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

rscott posted:

My mom died from cancer 18 years ago this week, still aint over it, don't know if you ever do

It will be 10 years for me in October and no, I dont think you ever get over losing your mom.

That was such a bad year, one of my best friends killed himself a week before my mom died :(

blk
Dec 19, 2009

goatse guy posted:

Happy birthday dude!

Stop making excuses for why you're living in a town that you hate and move. There is no better time than right now. Don't delay your happiness.

That's the problem, I don't have any excuse and I'm mad at myself for not moving faster.

meatpimp posted:

Happy birthday. If that's you concerns list, don't ever have kids. Then you'll be on a treadmill for an extremely long time.

I wouldn't mind being on a treadmill if it was treadmill I enjoyed more than my current one. I'm trying to switch treadmills now before I have kid(s) (and my wife may possibly do the same) since it would a pain in the rear end to do so after.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Happy Birthday dude, go drive some twisty-rear end roads in the Miata.

Here's my happy for the day.

Sixty-one loving days without pop, fast food, fried food, beer etc. Holding steady at 201 without major day to day fluxes. Original scale was indeed wrong, I was 219 when I started so this is 18 pounds gone. I'd wanted 199 by sixty days but I was sick and had a fat lazy day but I'm back on track. Current goal is 195 by day ninety.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I had a couple of young guys stop outside my house today while I was outside working on the Disco. Throttle cable had snapped. I didn't have any way to fix it with properly, but I was able to use a tiny blob of weld to reattach the broken pieces, so the driver had at least some throttle control, and could go pick his girlfriend up from the shops and get to work tomorrow. :feelsgood:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

Just move to Portland already. I moved here from Eugene over a decade ago and I haven't regretted it for a minute. Better jobs, higher wages, more things to do, a better car market...

Twenty years living in Eugene was twenty years too many.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Just move to Portland already. I moved here from Eugene over a decade ago and I haven't regretted it for a minute. Better jobs, higher wages, more things to do, a better car market...

Twenty years living in Eugene was twenty years too many.

I have a tentative job offer but my wife is a librarian and there are no jobs for her. I might commute up and live there on weekdays, then come back on weekends.

I lived in Portland from 06-08 so you don't need to tell me how much better it is :)

Consumer chat

Apparently Bestbuy's return policy is now (lol) 14 days. So if it takes 5 days to get something shipped to you from BB online, well, that's 9 days. Wow.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

blk posted:

Apparently Bestbuy's return policy is now (lol) 14 days. So if it takes 5 days to get something shipped to you from BB online, well, that's 9 days. Wow.

Even more reason to not shop at Best Buy and let them continue to circle the drain.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Goddamn what a long, fun day. Definitely wish I had worn real shoes instead of flip-flops though, my ankles/feet are killing me. Maybe I'm weird but my favorite part of going to a theme park is just looking at how the rides are constructed and how much engineering goes into them.

Still doesn't make me want to actually ride them, fuckin anxiety + motion sickness takes most of the fun out of that.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Just got back from a week at my wife's family's farm in northeast Missouri. We left Saturday morning, drove 500 miles and stayed at her sister's house outside Nashville last night, drove the remaining 300 miles home today.

800 miles in a car with a 5 year-old, a 2 year-old, and my legs covered with bug bites and poison ivy. Somehow I did not drive the car off a loving bridge and we made it home intact.

Actually being at the farm was pretty fun, aside from the aforementioned poison ivy and bugs. I got to fix and drive a 1948 Ford tractor, climb and fix a windmill, shoot guns in the middle of loving nowhere, and generally have a redneck good time. The kids had fun too. The highlight of the trip for my son (age 2) was splashing around in a little creek naked and for my daughter (age 5) it was probably getting to paint with her 95 year old great-great aunt.

Auntie Clara is a loving awesome almost-centenarian. She lives on her own on a working farm (farming hay and corn/soybeans), has a masters degree in art from Cornell, taught art at Colorado, still paints professionally, and cross country skis across her farm when there's enough snow. I hope I have half as much fight in me at 95 as she does.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I prefer to drive my roller coasters, but riding them is fun too.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

blk posted:

That's the problem, I don't have any excuse and I'm mad at myself for not moving faster.

No excuses? Then do it already.

I'm back in the Twin Cities now. We'll see how this goes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Terrible Robot posted:

Still doesn't make me want to actually ride them, fuckin anxiety + motion sickness takes most of the fun out of that.

I thought I was the man at riding coasters until I went with my nephew to Busch Gardens and couldn't keep up with him, after about the fifth time in a row on Kumba I was ready to puke and he kept going :smith:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

blk posted:

I have a tentative job offer but my wife is a librarian and there are no jobs for her. I might commute up and live there on weekdays, then come back on weekends.

I lived in Portland from 06-08 so you don't need to tell me how much better it is :)

Consumer chat

The apple store has a 14 day return policy for everything except contract iPhones (you have 30 days for that) but you can return it even if you opened it and licked it or whatever

I'll miss best buy when I want to go somewhere to kill a few minutes while my wife is in another store or whatever but otherwise gently caress that place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That fresh thread feeling.

• Locked thread