Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

oswald ownenstein posted:

probably. FF7 was an overrated lovely animu game with a convoluted, bad story that gets gushing praise because a ton of people were 8 years old and it was their first RPG.

earthbound is just charming.

pretty sure people like Earthbound for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Dongslayer. posted:

pretty sure people like Earthbound for the same reason.

earthbound isn't anime

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
anime owns

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

earthbound is hell of cool. i have fond memories of ff7 but i would rather not replay it. i'd gather the sound stone melodies any day tho

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!
"There's a prophecy that a boy will destroy Master Giygas. Heeg! Heeg! Heeg! You make me laugh so hard..."

Heeg! Heeg! Heeg!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ff7 takes itself way too seriously and earthbound is probably the most charming JRPG out there

there isn't much to the battle system but if you don't like animu melodrama then you'll probably like earthbound's tone

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
a game featuring crossdressing and a bitchslap fight definitely takes itself too seriously

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

earthbound isn't anime

ha ha lookit you

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Poonerman posted:

a game featuring crossdressing and a bitchslap fight definitely takes itself too seriously

the honey bee inn was so grimdark

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

anime=cartoons

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

earthbound isn't anime

Mother 3 is a little anime. Not that it's bad, but it's more anime than Earthbound.

To answer OP's question, Earthbound has the Blues Brothers init, so yes.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

this but seriously

this game stinks!!!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Earthbound is literally the least anime JRPG I can think of.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Mother 3 had a bunch of pacing problems for like the first half of the game that made it a ton harder to get into than Earthbound. Like the first 10 hours is consumed by mostly disjointed jaunts to unrelated locations and typically getting to these locations is painful and awful. I've tried to pick it up 3 times now and inevitably by the time I hit the Chimera Factory I'm so bored and disconnected from the story that it's a chore to play anymore.

The story is great and the writing is fantastic and hosed straight the hell up when it's firing, but in between hits from the story bong you have some of the most colossal bullshit.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Mr Tastee posted:

this game stinks!!!

jay shermin the VIDEOGAME critic!?!?!?

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Best part of FF7 is wandering around the strange pre-rendered backgrounds. Midgar looks cool and places like the Ancient City, Forest Temple and Northern Cave achieve a weird serendipity with the angular surreal environments and the goofy MIDI music.

Earthbound is definitely superior though.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mark Brouhard posted:

anime=cartoons

not cartoons dad, gently caress

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

DrManiac posted:

Mother 3 was one of the few translated games I played that was totally worth the wait and hype surrounding it.
What is your opinion on the Magypsies?

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I didn't like the Magypsy that (maybe?) raped Lucas in the hot spring but the rest were a'ight.

SwimmingSpider fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 21, 2014

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

What is your opinion on the Magypsies?

It's probably one of the least offensive depiction of a drag queen I ever seen in a game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

DrManiac posted:

It's probably one of the least offensive depiction of a drag queen I ever seen in a game.
sorry they have to be 100% conforming to arbitrary tumblr teen standards or they're "problematic"

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
yeah mother 3 has like seven genderfucked characters that actually matter and are a big part of the plot instead of walking homo jokes so that's p cool.

mother 3 just has tons of incredibly well-done poo poo in it. it's really well written and fun but for some reason i can't actually play it for very long. might have something to do with how railroady it is

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cobweb Heart posted:

yeah mother 3 has like seven genderfucked characters that actually matter and are a big part of the plot instead of walking homo jokes so that's p cool.

mother 3 just has tons of incredibly well-done poo poo in it. it's really well written and fun but for some reason i can't actually play it for very long. might have something to do with how railroady it is
that's the reason why i don't come back to play it as often as i do earthbound. it's a good game but not as good as EB

drat if it isn't an emotional roller coaster though

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Y-Hat posted:

sorry they have to be 100% conforming to arbitrary tumblr teen standards or they're "problematic"

??? Problematic just means it has problems. Doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.

Mr Tastee posted:

??? Problematic just means it has problems. Doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

Please don't make posts outside the accepted SA posting narrative

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cobweb Heart posted:

it's really well written and fun but for some reason i can't actually play it for very long. might have something to do with how railroady it is
for me it's just how much bullshit you have to put up with between the interesting bosses and the cool story bits

hmm yes the 50th wacky and crazy chimera that i have fought in the last hour quite so old bean that sounds quite rousing :wotwot:

i should probably just play mother 3 again with dudes hacked to be max level, i'd probably enjoy it more

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
mother 3 was worth it for the part where lucas and co trip mad balls on mushrooms

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
has there been a jrpg where the heroes have gotten really really drunk the point of being disassociative?

usually it's all "wahey crazy in-world drug thingy" but i haven't seen an anime on a tremendous bender just going apeshit and ruining everyone's night

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it isnt a jrpg but there's actually a charming sequence in neverwinter nights 2 where your group of hard living and hard fighting adventurers gets smashed at a bar and spends most of the evening trading insults at eachother, to the point that the manly man dwarf and the wiry little demon chick (who normally hate eachother pretty bad) are actually getting along because they're dropping suitably sick burns on eachother.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cobweb Heart posted:

One of them does like to toot his own horn far too much to tolerate.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.

matrix ripoff posted:

has there been a jrpg where the heroes have gotten really really drunk the point of being disassociative?

usually it's all "wahey crazy in-world drug thingy" but i haven't seen an anime on a tremendous bender just going apeshit and ruining everyone's night

Persona 4

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Scalding Coffee posted:

One of them does like to toot his own horn far too much to tolerate.

lmao

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

earthbound is worth playing for the soundtrack alone imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

romanowski posted:

earthbound is worth playing for the soundtrack alone imo

i agree it has such raving hits as
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2h0rw921Ds