Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Earthbound is praised for being awesome as gently caress and all that jazz, but i think it plays just like ff7 -- the random battles on a world map.

i got all of that outta me during my dragon warrior I & II play through and now i don't enjoy the mechanic anymore. when I last tried to play through ff7, I just couldn't get into it.

does earthbound really have a loving awesome story that will keep me playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
earthbound has a lot of interesting things happen and doesn't have a random battles mechanic, just avoid dudes if you don't want to fight them or powerlevel until it skips fights for you. the battle system also has a cool rolling mechanic

if you don't like it don't play it though

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Hog Butcher posted:

doesn't have a random battles mechanic

drat this game sounds awesome as gently caress

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i like being able to choose my battles by seeing dudes on the world map and running after/away from them

if you go up behind someone you get a free turn but if they do it to you then they get a free attack

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Earthbound plays pretty differently then FF7.

Non random battles isn't a big difference in all honesty though.

Reset Button
Jan 25, 2011

I know this wasn't the thread's intent but it convinced me to finally get off my rear end and play earthbound :unsmith:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
it's such a relief playing rpgs without random encounters that going back to them is a significant drag

rye on white
May 5, 2013
i dont rreally like ff so far but earthbound was pretty great, give it a try and see how it goes. if you don't like it you could still stop at any time

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Hog Butcher posted:

i like being able to choose my battles by seeing dudes on the world map and running after/away from them

if you go up behind someone you get a free turn but if they do it to you then they get a free attack

you really know how to sell a game. i'll probably start playing this when i get home. only heard good things about it for decades now. but i heard good things about ff7 too, which is why i asked

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I loved Earthbound as a kid and after Tomato finished his translation/localization I tried mother 3 and holy poo poo I was not prepared for how much darker that game got.

I'm partway through the Earthbound Halloween romhack and so far I'm enjoying the ramped up difficulty quite a bit.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Wait a second... Wait a second. HOld on

Are you loving telling Me that you did NOT like Ff7 (Final fantasy 7)??? That game have Sephiroth. That game have Leviathan. And Shinra Electric Power Company. Your a loving Moron bro

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Kewpuh posted:

Are you loving telling Me that you did NOT like Ff7 (Final fantasy 7)??? That game have Sephiroth. That game have Leviathan. And Shinra Electric Power Company. Your a loving Moron bro

its not that i didn't like it, it's just my favorite character died like an hour into this 30 hour epic full of cool characters such as CHaos and a black guy with attitude

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

earthbound isnt an ugly loving mess to look at in 2014 unlike ff7, this is one mans opinion, but its right

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

FF7 appealed to me as a young girl because Cid was really cool

I think I was supposed to like Vincent because "so bishy" but Cid puts meat on the table and doesn't take any poo poo.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Kewpuh posted:

My fondest memory of Final Fantasy the 7th came not from playing the game, because I have yet to play it and here is why. See I was at the show with my best friend and his brother seeing some random movie that I can't remember cause it was so long ago. We arrived a little early and they had a game shop there near the food court so we went on over to check out what we could find. I saw final fantasy in the jewel case at the counter where some fat wonderbread nerd motherfucker was working the register. Pricetag 149.99, gently caress that, I went over to some rack on the side and looked at some strategy guides and poo poo when I overhead this gem. Some girl was asking the cashier why the game cost so much and he had the nerve to try to tell her the poo poo was a classic. But I digress for one day I did come to enjoy final fantasy the 7th in the end if only for a fleeting moment. For this moment right here

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

oh yeah earthbound was fun when i was a kid tho, you'll prob like it op, i had good taste in games when i was loving 9

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Mark Brouhard posted:

i had good taste in games when i was loving 9

your an og, friend.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Widestancer posted:

I loved Earthbound as a kid and after Tomato finished his translation/localization I tried mother 3 and holy poo poo I was not prepared for how much darker that game got.

I'm partway through the Earthbound Halloween romhack and so far I'm enjoying the ramped up difficulty quite a bit.

Regardless of one's opinions on earthbound mother 3 is a wildly better game, and is cool as heck.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

LaTex Fetish posted:

your an og, friend.

thanks oh and that reminds me i need to see if anyone LP'd blast corps cause that was my poo poo too on a unrelated note

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Mark Brouhard posted:

thanks oh and that reminds me i need to see if anyone LP'd blast corps cause that was my poo poo too on a unrelated note

not only was it lped, it was done so in a weird manner and then the lper went on to become peaches, world famed blast corps runner

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Earthbound is an okay Dragon Quest clone with some goofy extra mechanics and a very appealing child-like/surreal visual style and story. Enjoy, OP!

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Mark Brouhard posted:

But I digress for one day I did come to enjoy final fantasy the 7th in the end if only for a fleeting moment. For this moment right here

Welp, pack it in final fantasailures

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hmm one of those things doesn't belong in the same group.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

FauxGateau posted:

hmm one of those things doesn't belong in the same group.
Agreed, Skyrim's story is p. weak

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Earthbound good. Play earthbound

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

Agreed, Skyrim's story is p. weak

I liked at the end when you're in Sovenguarde you can pick what title you choose to enter Shore's Hall and the list is a mile long if you did everything in the game before the final quest.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I played earthbound when I was in highscool(2008) and though it was great then, so it's not a nostalgia thing. Earthbound is legit one of my favorite games ever.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
If you don't like ff7 you have brain damage.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ragg posted:

If you don't like ff7 you have brain damage.

I have it burned into my brain since I was 15 that people who like FF7 believe its worth 150 bucks, are nasty and sweaty looking as gently caress, and get no pussy. I think I'm good tia.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
ff7 was really good if you thought shopping at hot topic was also really good

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

people who claim to hate ff7 are contrarian holier-than-thou nerds and I refuse to believe otherwise

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Sometimes I think I want to try FF7 but it never lasts long enough for me to buy it.

Reset Button
Jan 25, 2011

ladyboy pancake posted:

Sometimes I think I want to try FF7 but it never lasts long enough for me to buy it.

it's on steam, so time your want around the time it goes on sale

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
enjoying a gam w random en counters ishard

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Mark Brouhard posted:

I have it burned into my brain since I was 15 that people who like FF7 believe its worth 150 bucks, are nasty and sweaty looking as gently caress, and get no pussy. I think I'm good tia.

You have brain damage.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Mother 3 is even better, be sure to play that too.

TheBlackPharaoh
May 8, 2007

Hog Butcher posted:

The cool thing about this is some enemies are always aggrod or cowards so a lvl 3 ant will try to berserk your lvl99 party and you can give it the first hit. Youll also chase a certain green caterpillar(?) for miles in a desert.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

quakster posted:

enjoying a gam w random en counters ishard
Just don't backtrack in dungeons and the encounters are on par with games with visible enemies.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Earthbound isn't even a fun game compared to other jrpgs from the same time. It oozes style and humor and whatever, but the battles are simple (so simple the game lets you autowin them. Hooray?) and wandering most places out of town is boring as poo poo.

I loved it when it came out, but unlike a lot of games from the time I can't replay it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Earthbound was better than Mother 3 for me. It ain't a popular opinion. You get a lot of hate from angry nerds.

As for your question OP, if you didn't like FF7 you probably won't like Earthbound because it sounds like you don't like good games

• Locked thread