Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

But... where will I get my dad jokes?

Don't die, Winson. You can hold on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Error 404 posted:

When you put it that way yeah, he was kinda like Plutonis is now.

You... Dastard! I will teach you a lesson in pain that you will never forget!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Kai Tave posted:

Traditional Games game of the month for September: Wonderful 101

I am pretty sure a tradgame of Wonderful 101 would be just, well. Wonderful.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

SageNytell posted:

What was the deal with happyelf, anyway? I seem to recall seeing him posting around when I started and I guess I never saw what the problem was.

He was Cassandra'd

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

New mod has to deliver on the promised banjo song when grogs.txt reaches 10000 posts. It has been written.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Fine, you guys talked me into it. I don't know why you keep calling me "ettin" or "happyelf" though.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Kai Tave posted:

Welp, there goes my free time. Are there any games that prioritize combo moves to draw inspiration form? Each character would need a signature move but rely on the contributions of others to make them work, which sounds like the best idea if I could figure out how to make that mechanically.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Serious answer: there's a game called Fireborn which is about being a reincarnated dragon in modern times that does this, but the system is bad for the immediate reason you might suspect which is that rolling combos means rolling for each and every step and if you fail once (or run out of initiative) then your combo stops short and it's really frustrating.

In the 5E thread someone brought up a game called Spellbound Kingdoms which has fighting styles that work on a sort of flowchart so that once you've done move A you can next attempt moves B or C, then work your way down to the really powerful ones at the very end of the tree at which point you wrap back to the beginning. I have no real experience with it and it's not exactly Platinum level craziness but it's got things like Swashbuckling fighting where part of your moveset is about posing stylishly in order to inspire your allies and demoralize enemies. It could be cool.

Then there's Fight!, the Fighting Game RPG which boasts a combat system that incorporates combos, positioning, distance, countering, and all that fighting game stuff.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Then there's Fight!, the Fighting Game RPG which boasts a combat system that incorporates combos, positioning, distance, countering, and all that fighting game stuff.

Wasn't David Sirloin doing one of those too? I know the Yomi card game but apparently there's a RPG too?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Error 404 posted:

When you put it that way yeah, he was kinda like Plutonis is now.

:happyelf:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

General Ironicus posted:

Welp, there goes my free time. Are there any games that prioritize combo moves to draw inspiration form? Each character would need a signature move but rely on the contributions of others to make them work, which sounds like the best idea if I could figure out how to make that mechanically.

BattleCON might be a good place to draw inspiration from. It's about making attacks on the fly by combining a Style and a Base to create an Attack, and each character has 5 unique Styles, but everyone uses the same 6 Bases. Something like that, where players have unique Styles and their own unique Signature Attacks, and you use your Attack backed up by the other player's Styles to influence it, could work.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Evil Mastermind posted:

I can't imagine anyone riding herd on us doing it any better than Winson.

Also I'm sorry I keep reading your name as "Winston". :(

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Wasn't David Sirloin doing one of those too? I know the Yomi card game but apparently there's a RPG too?

A cursory Google search and a visit to Sirlin Games' website doesn't show anything about a Yomi RPG. Yomi itself looks pretty cool though.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

Serious answer: there's a game called Fireborn which is about being a reincarnated dragon in modern times

That's one of the ones I want to cover for F&F. It's so delightfully WWish.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

General Ironicus posted:

If you want to set up group combos rather then individual player ones, I've always felt this is something popcorn initiative would be amazing at, but nobody's ever really tried, since it's built explicitly around choosing who goes next in a round. Rather then each player setting up their own combo of moves, you could have each player use a single ability to build a greater combo, and even add more complex ones that require you to let baddies go between characters to counter/combo off them.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

ProfessorCirno posted:

If you want to set up group combos rather then individual player ones, I've always felt this is something popcorn initiative would be amazing at, but nobody's ever really tried, since it's built explicitly around choosing who goes next in a round. Rather then each player setting up their own combo of moves, you could have each player use a single ability to build a greater combo, and even add more complex ones that require you to let baddies go between characters to counter/combo off them.

Something like Marvel Heroic uses? That game had a sort of soft incentive to combo up assets and complications before trying to inflict damage on enemies, so it wouldn't be out of reach to make a more hardcoded system.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Winson_Paine posted:

Also these sort of announcements are generally silly, but this place is not huge so I figure it is probably OK. After a little more than two years of modding, I am gonna pass on the star to someone else. It has been fun, but a bunch of stuff is shifting over in my personal life (kid is going into school, I am going back to jobhaving) and also two years seems like plenty to me as far as time served. I will stick around for games and stuff, and stick around until they pick a new mod for the forum, but this is basically a sort of thanks for being a good forum and being fun to be a janitor for for the last couple years.

You've been a great mod. Thanks for everything!

General Ironicus posted:

How about FAE? Fate is basically about characters stacking bonuses to help each other until someone manages to deliver the final blow, anyway. High concept describes your weapon. Score in each Approach is proportional to how many dudes you have following behind you that fit that Approach. Creating an Advantage means sending off a team of dudes to do whatever. Stress is losing dudes, consequences are on yourself.

or, you know, GURPS Wonderful 101 :unsmigghh:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Cyphoderus posted:

How about FAE? Fate is basically about characters stacking bonuses to help each other until someone manages to deliver the final blow, anyway. High concept describes your weapon. Score in each Approach is proportional to how many dudes you have following behind you that fit that Approach. Creating an Advantage means sending off a team of dudes to do whatever. Stress is losing dudes, consequences are on yourself.

or, you know, GURPS Wonderful 101 :unsmigghh:
Am I the only person who thought that it would be more interesting to roleplay the entire Wonderful 101 group at once.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what is this 1derful won0won you speak of

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Winson_Paine posted:

Also these sort of announcements are generally silly, but this place is not huge so I figure it is probably OK. After a little more than two years of modding, I am gonna pass on the star to someone else. It has been fun, but a bunch of stuff is shifting over in my personal life (kid is going into school, I am going back to jobhaving) and also two years seems like plenty to me as far as time served. I will stick around for games and stuff, and stick around until they pick a new mod for the forum, but this is basically a sort of thanks for being a good forum and being fun to be a janitor for for the last couple years.

Thanks for everything duder, hope you still have time to post around real life. You are good mod and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Kai Tave posted:

Oh poo poo, that looks incredible. Why don't I have a Wii U?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

MadScientistWorking posted:

Am I the only person who thought that it would be more interesting to roleplay the entire Wonderful 101 group at once.

I'd go with something in the middle, each player has their own smaller group of characters and the player group forms up the super-mob.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Kai Tave posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it'd make a good title for November's thread.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Lynx Winters posted:

I'd go with something in the middle, each player has their own smaller group of characters and the player group forms up the super-mob.
I'm kind of upset because I never got to play with that character concept because while being one of the strangest ones I've ever came up with I really liked the premise.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Tollymain posted:

what is this 1derful won0won you speak of

A totally awesome superhero/sentai game. The game mechanics focus around a horde of superheroes combining into giant weapons and structures.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ewen Cluney posted:

I was thinking one of the tones would have to be "Fabulous," though someone suggesting having the two tones be Bizarre and Adventurous.

Make one of the three a character triggered overtone maybe?

Winson_Paine posted:

Thanks for all your hard work. You were a great mod.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Just thinking in very vague terms, I think you could probably start with Double Cross' basic power and combo structure to represent the abilities of different unite morphs, you could even let the choice of being a purestrain/hybrid/tribreed (whatever they're called, I can't remember the real terms) determine if you're just a group of fist users or if you have a mixed bunch of weapons in there. I think then you could add in a mechanic to bleed off encroachment during combat, and only allow them to exceed 100% encroachment if they're in Boss Fight mode (whatever their power up is called).

It'd be a whole lot of hammering, but I think a Platinum game deserves either crunchy combat or the freedom to stunt your rear end off, so that would probably be the first thing I tried.

Also thanks for all the work you've done, Winston_Pain, you'll be remembered!

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Winson_Paine posted:

You have been a pretty cool mod and one of the coolest things about this place from what little time I've been here.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Kai Tave posted:

The Wonderful 234.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Winsonmod Bestmod

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012