Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Asymmetrikon posted:

Apropos of nothing, I've a question for you all: what are your dream features for a virtual tabletop program (like MapTool or Roll20)? What would make your life easier as a DM or player? If you were to have a scriptable, moddable VTT, what would you want to be able to mess around with?

Customizable trackers, something on the side of the screen, or even something that can be tagged to a creature or player to float over them. With options for everything from initiative, timers, status effects, whatever.

also what gnome says about uploadable and importable stuff.

Edit: and maybe make some parts open source so that homebrew stuff can be easily added, or maybe crowdsource to the community for various systems and features. (like I'm sure someone who wants 4E in there could whip up a way to import character builder stuff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Editable image tokens, easy way to put status effects and modifiers, a way to save common rolls so you don't need to check again every time and a way to... i dunno, simulate line of sight?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Tulpa posted:

The Quiet Year by Avery McDaldno, map drawing game about a post apocalyptic community trying to survive until winter.
Last time I played The Quiet Year our village took some time off in-between accidentally setting the shrink ray aimed at all the vampires to "grow" and releasing all the molemen in hopes they killed the snakes to have a super kickass apple butter festival.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Edible image tokens

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
3D printing is really going places, isn't it?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Asymmetrikon posted:

Apropos of nothing, I've a question for you all: what are your dream features for a virtual tabletop program (like MapTool or Roll20)? What would make your life easier as a DM or player? If you were to have a scriptable, moddable VTT, what would you want to be able to mess around with?
Something to make character generation and dicerolling more streamlined and integrated, more like shouting orders and less like doing clerical work.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
A big thing I want out of a VTT is mobile support. I want to at least be able to make the website work on an iPad, and even better if I can use it on my Android phone, even if just in a reduced capacity. That makes GMing and playing a lot easier for me, and means I could even consider using the VTT at my actual tabletop for when the maps need to come out.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Froghammer posted:

Last time I played The Quiet Year our village took some time off in-between accidentally setting the shrink ray aimed at all the vampires to "grow" and releasing all the molemen in hopes they killed the snakes to have a super kickass apple butter festival.
You know, I hadn't been sure whether I wanted to buy The Quiet Year, but it is now on the Stuff To Buy When I Have the Money list.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ewen Cluney posted:

You know, I hadn't been sure whether I wanted to buy The Quiet Year, but it is now on the Stuff To Buy When I Have the Money list.

I can confirm that it is a joy to play especially if everyone "gets it," know what I mean?

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Froghammer posted:

I honestly haven't had much fun with the Quiet Year but I think I'll enjoy it a lot more if I introduce these gonzo post apocalypse details inbetween the mostly mundane stuff we do every game.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Asymmetrikon posted:

Integrated sound effects and music player.
[

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Ewen Cluney posted:

Well, if you can do something nice you can get it for free. Volunteer or do something helpful and tell him about it.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

Integrated sound effects and music player.
[

I really like this in roll20 and -really wish- it would let me play files from my computer instead of just searching soundcloud.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Your creature tokens can be tied to sound effects and music files.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Asymmetrikon posted:

Non-fiddly ways to do non-standard "maps", like abstract zones of combat, Smallville's Pathways Map for chargen, Fiasco's table setup, or Dramasystem's "drama tokens" (which are supposed to be visible during table play).

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Anybody ever play One Last Job? I picked it up after listening to the One Shot podcast as a good pick up and go game and wanted to know if there's anything in particular to look out for or emphasize.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013
I really enjoyed the character creation ideas, but I eventually felt the act structure dragged a bit. I'd try and keep the number of players low. We had a much better game with 3 than 5.

I'm not sold on the dice pool system to be honest. As things escalate you're relying more and more on 10s for an auto win, losing all the swing.

WordMercenary fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I went ahead and opened next month's thread.

• Locked thread