Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

So we've been talking a lot about trans characters recently in Trad Games, between the statement in the D&D rules and Paizo's stated support for trans players and a new trans iconic character. I thought I'd take this opportunity to introduce you all to a classic character you might not know is trans! Elminster Aumar of the Forgotten Realms has spent several periods of his life presenting as Elmara Aumar - a female-identified person he changes into with magic granted to him by his goddess, Mystra.

Elminster's first period of time spent as Elmara was a trial given to him by Mystra, but Elminster has done it several times since then of his own volition and enjoys the experience greatly. Because of this, we could see Elminster as one of the first gender-variant characters in Dungeons and Dragons: and perhaps the most visible.

Feel free to use this thread to talk about anything Elminster or Aumara - what magics does Elminster's pipe hold? Does Elmara have abilities Elminster does not? What about Elminster's space station? Has Ed Greenwood met Elmara? and so on.

The old chat thread was here if you need it for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
arivia i swear to god

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
it's still july in this timezone but I voted 5 anyway.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
What would Elminster do if he found himself in Eberron?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Ho' there, wanderer!

Wilde Jagd
Jan 2, 2014

by XyloJW
Elminster is a very powerful wizard, perhaps the most powerful in all of the Forgotten Realms.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Nuns with Guns posted:

What would Elminster do if he found himself in Eberron?

He likely has a door in his space sphere that leads to the home of whoever is his best wizard buddy there. He probably goes there to hit on Vol.

Anyway, Arivia points to one of the less talked about strengths of the setting: it's generally highly progressive in its treatment of gender and sex.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Stay thy course to indulge an old man. :q:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PeterWeller posted:

He likely has a door in his space sphere that leads to the home of whoever is his best wizard buddy there. He probably goes there to hit on Vol.

He usually uses it to drink beers with Ed Greenwood and marvel at modern technology that's normal to us. Hitting on an undead half dragon lady would be a more plausible use than the actual canon one.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Stinking Greenwich Mean Timers, making us all have to pretend it's August when there's still 6.5 hours to go till the rollover :rant:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I never thought I'd say this, but for the love of the gods can we get Smilin' Sammy G back?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

He usually uses it to drink beers with Ed Greenwood and marvel at modern technology that's normal to us. Hitting on an undead half dragon lady would be a more plausible use than the actual canon one.

He also uses it to host get togethers with Mordenkainen and Dalamar. The place is pretty choice. It has a library containing just about every spell in the multiverse, and Ed set the place up with AC and a fridge.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm so sick of Sammy. Such a wonderful character, driven into the ground like a Portal quote.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I never thought I'd say this, but for the love of the gods can we get Smilin' Sammy G back?

Nah.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Who the hell still cares about Forgotten Realms in the second year of our luigi 2014 of the christian era, especially after there have been other settings released?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

And a new reign of terror begins.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

And the conspiracy deepens.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Oh dear.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Congratulations/condolences on the star, Ettin, and a fond farewell to Winson's star (I assume)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Comrade Gorbash posted:

And a new reign of terror begins.
__________/

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
I for one welcome our weird anime masters.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Somewhere, a grog just had an aneurysm.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Mandatory Dangan Ronpa avatars for everyone.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Look at him.

Look at him and laugh/weep.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Well, we're all in for it now.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm going to whinge at you twice as hard to post on NTech now.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Y'know Ettin, this is an awful lot of work just to get out of the toxx from your Eclipse Phase game. I'd have spotted you the ten bucks, man.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

NO MODS NO MASTERS.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
I hate to interrupt the circlejerk, but are there any Theatre of the Mind-style 4e ripoffs?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kai Tave posted:

Mandatory Dangan Ronpa avatars for everyone.

You can have my kitty cat avatars when you pry them from my maxed out credit cards.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Arivia posted:

Somewhere, a grog just had an aneurysm.

I can't wait for the conspiracy theories to flood in.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
Do chat thread bans remain in the new dynasty?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
forgotten realms more like uh

yknow i can't think of a good insult right now, you get off easy today

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh dear god...

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Tollymain posted:

forgotten realms more like uh

yknow i can't think of a good insult right now, you get off easy today

More like "Can't be forgotten soon enough."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:patriot:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh dear god...

Sorry you're stuck in the BONE ZONE

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this reminds of that time when the hapsburgs took their second crown, that was hilarious too

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tollymain posted:

this reminds of that time when the hapsburgs took their second crown, that was hilarious too

I too believe that the war of spanish succession and the bloody revolutionary wars that the dutch waged and the thousands of people who died in the battlefields of Europe and colonial America were hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Would You Agree That Ettin Badmod?

• Locked thread